Help: How can I get the spfile out of ASM disk

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Dear group,

I am learning to use RAC on ASM disks on Oracle 10203 on linux.

I use DBCA to created a database.  The spfile is on ASM disks as well.
After that, I did 'alter system set LOCAL_LISTENER=yyy' scope=both sid='*'

But now I can not start my instances
I got
SQL> startup nomount
ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter REMOTE_LISTENER
ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name 'LISTENERS_TEST'

How can I get my spfile out of the ASM disk and edit it?  I do not have a
backup of spfile as this is a learning database.

Thanks for your help

0
Reply joebayerr (3) 2/9/2008 5:33:06 PM

See related articles to this posting

"joe bayer" <joebayerr@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Dear group,
>
> I am learning to use RAC on ASM disks on Oracle 10203 on linux.
>
> I use DBCA to created a database.  The spfile is on ASM disks as well.
> After that, I did 'alter system set LOCAL_LISTENER=yyy' scope=both
> sid='*'
>
> But now I can not start my instances
> I got
> SQL> startup nomount
> ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter REMOTE_LISTENER
> ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name 'LISTENERS_TEST'
>
> How can I get my spfile out of the ASM disk and edit it?  I do not
> have a backup of spfile as this is a learning database.
>
> Thanks for your help

Right off the top I don't know how you can get a copy of the spfile,
but I do know how you can get the DB to open.

create a very sparse pfile then do
SQL> STARTUP NOMOUNT PFILE=newpfile.ora
0
Reply anacedent (475) 2/9/2008 5:55:26 PM

On Feb 9, 12:33 pm, "joe bayer" <joebay...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> I am learning to use RAC on ASM disks on Oracle 10203 on linux.
>
> I use DBCA to created a database.  The spfile is on ASM disks as well.
> After that, I did 'alter system set LOCAL_LISTENER=yyy' scope=both sid='*'
>
> But now I can not start my instances
> I got
> SQL> startup nomount
> ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter REMOTE_LISTENER
> ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name 'LISTENERS_TEST'
>
> How can I get my spfile out of the ASM disk and edit it?  I do not have a
> backup of spfile as this is a learning database.
>
> Thanks for your help

CREATE PFILE='/tmp/tmp.ora' FROM SPFILE;
0
Reply stevedhoward (760) 2/9/2008 8:16:54 PM

How can I create spfile if I can not even start the instance with the
spfile?

"Steve Howard" <stevedhoward@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Feb 9, 12:33 pm, "joe bayer" <joebay...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear group,
>>
>> I am learning to use RAC on ASM disks on Oracle 10203 on linux.
>>
>> I use DBCA to created a database.  The spfile is on ASM disks as well.
>> After that, I did 'alter system set LOCAL_LISTENER=yyy' scope=both
>> sid='*'
>>
>> But now I can not start my instances
>> I got
>> SQL> startup nomount
>> ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter REMOTE_LISTENER
>> ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name 'LISTENERS_TEST'
>>
>> How can I get my spfile out of the ASM disk and edit it?  I do not have a
>> backup of spfile as this is a learning database.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>
> CREATE PFILE='/tmp/tmp.ora' FROM SPFILE;

0
Reply joebayerr (3) 2/9/2008 8:51:47 PM

> How can I create spfile if I can not even start the instance with the
> spfile?

What makes you think the DB needs to be up to create the pfile???????

 sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Sat Feb 9 15:02:46 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: / as sysdba

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing
options

SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> create pfile from spfile;

File created.

SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  401743872 bytes
Fixed Size                  1300212 bytes
Variable Size             356518156 bytes
Database Buffers           37748736 bytes
Redo Buffers                6176768 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
0
Reply anacedent (475) 2/9/2008 11:14:53 PM

On Feb 9, 6:14=A0pm, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "joe bayer" <joebay...@hotmail.com> wrote innews:Dnorj.130$eU3.92@trndny04=
:

> > How can I create spfile if I can not even start the instance with the
> > spfile?
>
> What makes you think the DB needs to be up to create the pfile???????
>
> =A0sqlplus
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Sat Feb 9 15:02:46 2008
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. =A0All rights reserved.
>
> Enter user-name: / as sysdba
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing
> options
>
> SQL> shutdown immediate
> Database closed.
> Database dismounted.
> ORACLE instance shut down.
> SQL> create pfile from spfile;
>
> File created.
>
> SQL> startup =A0
> ORACLE instance started.
>
> Total System Global Area =A0401743872 bytes
> Fixed Size =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01300212 bytes
> Variable Size =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 356518156 bytes
> Database Buffers =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 37748736 bytes
> Redo Buffers =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A06176768 bytes
> Database mounted.
> Database opened.

Nice example.  Note that the just created pfile could have been edited
then used to strat the database or used to re-create the spfile.

-- Mark D Powell --
0
Reply Mark.Powell (1630) 2/10/2008 1:33:34 AM

See what I got:

[oracle@learning dbs]$ cat inittest1.ora
SPFILE='+DISKTEST/test/spfiletest.ora'

[oracle@learning~]$ export ORACLE_SID=test1
[oracle@learning~]$ sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Sat Feb 9 20:31:30 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle.  All Rights Reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> create pfile from spfile;
create pfile from spfile
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
Linux-x86 Error: 2: No such file or directory
Additional information: 3

Thanks

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "joe bayer" <joebayerr@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> How can I create spfile if I can not even start the instance with the
>> spfile?
>
> What makes you think the DB needs to be up to create the pfile???????
>
> sqlplus
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Sat Feb 9 15:02:46 2008
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
>
> Enter user-name: / as sysdba
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing
> options
>
> SQL> shutdown immediate
> Database closed.
> Database dismounted.
> ORACLE instance shut down.
> SQL> create pfile from spfile;
>
> File created.
>
> SQL> startup
> ORACLE instance started.
>
> Total System Global Area  401743872 bytes
> Fixed Size                  1300212 bytes
> Variable Size             356518156 bytes
> Database Buffers           37748736 bytes
> Redo Buffers                6176768 bytes
> Database mounted.
> Database opened.

0
Reply joebayerr (3) 2/10/2008 1:36:25 AM

On Feb 10, 4:36 am, "joe bayer" <joebay...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> See what I got:
>
> [oracle@learning dbs]$ cat inittest1.ora
> SPFILE='+DISKTEST/test/spfiletest.ora'
>
> [oracle@learning~]$ export ORACLE_SID=test1
> [oracle@learning~]$ sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Sat Feb 9 20:31:30 2008
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle.  All Rights Reserved.
>
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> Connected to an idle instance.
> SQL> create pfile from spfile;
> create pfile from spfile
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
> Linux-x86 Error: 2: No such file or directory
> Additional information: 3
>
> Thanks

See what's in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/init<SID>.ora where <SID> is your
Oracle database SID, verify that SPFILE=... in that file points to an
accessible location and if it's on ASM then make sure ASM instance is
up. You can also try to

create pfile='file-spec' from spfile;

where file-spec is full path to the pfile you want to be created.

And please, do not top-post.

Regards,
   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
   http://www.dynamicpsp.com
0
Reply vladimir.zakharychev (397) 2/10/2008 10:55:49 AM

On Feb 9, 8:36=A0pm, "joe bayer" <joebay...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> See what I got:
>
> [oracle@learning dbs]$ cat inittest1.ora
> SPFILE=3D'+DISKTEST/test/spfiletest.ora'
>
> [oracle@learning~]$ export ORACLE_SID=3Dtest1
> [oracle@learning~]$ sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Sat Feb 9 20:31:30 2008
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle. =A0All Rights Reserved.
>
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> Connected to an idle instance.
> SQL> create pfile from spfile;
> create pfile from spfile
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
> Linux-x86 Error: 2: No such file or directory
> Additional information: 3
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:Ntqrj.359$n42.2=
15@newsfe08.phx...

> > "joe bayer" <joebay...@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> >> How can I create spfile if I can not even start the instance with the
> >> spfile?
>
> > What makes you think the DB needs to be up to create the pfile???????
>
> > sqlplus
>
> > SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Sat Feb 9 15:02:46 2008
>
> > Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. =A0All rights reserved.
>
> > Enter user-name: / as sysdba
>
> > Connected to:
> > Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
> > With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing
> > options
>
> > SQL> shutdown immediate
> > Database closed.
> > Database dismounted.
> > ORACLE instance shut down.
> > SQL> create pfile from spfile;
>
> > File created.
>
> > SQL> startup
> > ORACLE instance started.
>
> > Total System Global Area =A0401743872 bytes
> > Fixed Size =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A01300212 bytes
> > Variable Size =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 356518156 bytes
> > Database Buffers =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 37748736 bytes
> > Redo Buffers =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A06176768 bytes
> > Database mounted.
> > Database opened.- Hide quoted text -

Joe your spfile does not appear to be in the default location.  If
that is true then you must specify the explicit spfile name in the
create pfile command.

>> SQL manual entry on CREATE PFILE >>
If you specify spfile_name, then the file must exist on the server. If
the file does not reside in the default directory for server parameter
files on your operating system, then you must specify the full path.
<<

We run RAC on a server that did not have a clustered file system (at
the time of initial install) so our init,ora has one line referencing
the spfile location, which must be on shared disk, that is, a raw
partition in our case.  Based on your post it looks like the same
requirement may be true if the spfile is placed in ASM.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
0
Reply Mark.Powell (1630) 2/10/2008 6:21:08 PM
comp.databases.oracle.server 21505 articles. 10 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

help!!help!! who can help me to get a rom from palm VIIx or give me some advise .
I lost my original rom for palm VIIx,would there has someone like to help me to give a rom for it,or give me some advise on how to find the rom. ...

help!!help!! who can help me to get a rom from palm VIIx or give me some advise . #2
I lost my original rom for palm VIIx,would there has someone like to help me to give a rom for it,or give me some advise on how to find the rom. winda wrote: > I lost my original rom for palm VIIx,would there has someone like to > help me to give a rom for it,or give me some advise on how to find the > rom. How did you lose it -- were you walking down the street and one day it fell out of the handheld? I'm confused. - Logan Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:<Ymb9b.35489$jV1.15738@twister.austin.rr.com>... > winda ...

Need help on AoH or array or any other help I can get for this task
Hello good people out there. I need to write a perl script that will parse the log and generate the following output: a flat text file in the following format: customer_name| product_category|item_description|cost An example log file could be: Pedro|groceries|apple|1.42 Nitin|tobacco|cigarettes|15.00 Susie|groceries|cereal|5.50 Susie|groceries|milk|4.75 Susie|tobacco|cigarettes|15.00 Susie|fuel|gasoline|44.90 Pedro|fuel|propane|9.60 1.A report of the total revenue resulting from each customer. 2.A report for each customer showing how much of their spending went to each category. With the abov...

Help me get my free i pod (u can get one too!)
Hey- Check out this great site that is giving away totally free iPods! I've joined and I think you should as well. It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in free stuff! All you have to do is join, complete and online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it! Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12322216 PLEASE HELP ME GET AN iPOD!! (REMEMBER, U CAN GET ONE TOO!!!) ...

Please help me get a free iPod!! (u can get one too!!)
Hey- Check out this great site that is giving away totally free iPods! I've joined and I think you should as well. It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in free stuff! All you have to do is join, complete and online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it! Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12322216 Gosh! I'm so lucky. I have just been offered a lot of money from Nigeria. Now this! Isn't life wonder...

I just can't get rubygems to work. Can anyone help?
My problems started with a wxruby gem, but the whole gem system on my mac is now one big cluster#$#$!. rubygems .9x was giving me problems--I have a pre-installed ruby 1.8.2 on my mac--so I tried to upgrade to rubygems 1.3.1 with the "rubygems 1.3.1 update", which is supposed to be an easy thing to do, but that didn't work for me either. Next, I decided to upgrade to ruby 1.8.6, and download the full rubygems 1.3.1 and install it locally hoping that all my problems would be solved. No such luck. I originally posted about the problems I am having in the wxruby forum here: htt...

Help - Help
Hello peeps, Can someone assist me in getting a copy of an OS/9 disk image? The computer is a hand-me-down and I wiped out the OS when I tried to also install OS/10 with it. The problem is, since OS/9 was the original OS, I need it to fix whatever errors are on it. I am a student and I cannot afford to purchase it from Apple. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! "Gary@Speakeasy News" <gljohns1@speakeasy.net> wrote in message news:YNmdnUppYfsUMJffRVn-ow@speakeasy.net... > Hello peeps, > > Can someone assist me in getting a copy of an OS/...

Where can I get Help?
I want to connect my Psion and PC but am having some probs. I can't get it to use Lotus stuff. It keeps looking for Outlook (I don't have it). I had it set up before but I'm on Win ME now . Does that make a difference? Where can I get comprehensive helpfiles as well? Thanks -- Harry Before replying please remove 'noneofit' from my email address which I have inserted to stop junk mail. ...

Mechanize: Can't get it to work. Can I help make it work next week?
This may be just one more play where my lack of experience with Ruby is biting me, but I have had no luck making mechanize go. I'm using version 0.2.3, and it claims to gem install successfully, but when I try to do a simple script that just goes: require 'rubygems' require 'mechanize' agent = WWW::Mechanize.new (and several versions of thingsafterthis, including blank, don't seem to make any difference) and I run that alone and get a LoadError pointing to something called custom_require.rb, lines 18 and 24, and mechanize line 14. I'd like to make...

can't get special-display-regexps to work for gdb buffers, but can for help buffers
I am trying to get my debug/gdb window in its own frame. I have this set: (setq special-display-regexps '("^\*Help.*" "^\*gdb.*")) "Help" windows open in their own frames, but "gdb" ones do not. Is a "gdb" window special in some way? thanks again -sal >>>>> "pbb" == pookiebearbottom@yahoo.com pbb> Is a "gdb" window special in some way? Tongue-in-cheek: mine is named "*gud-a.out*" ^ universal debugger -- Marc Girod ...

Re: if the proud disks can change mercilessly, the polite can may help more lakes, Horny Righteous Flowerchild. 8666747464
0ddbe717 Lionel Lauer was brokenhearted by Josie 4fed4623 they are loving under rude, throughout filthy, among wide teachers if you will learn Oris's office beneath plates, it will weakly measure the onion ...

Where can I get help with GPS?
GPL edition 4.4.1, that is. My problem is that on two separate laptops (an HP and a Toshiba) the mousepad scroll function does not work (and it does work with every other program, naturally). I'm hoping that this is just some configuration switch, but I haven't found any info so I'm wondering where I might seek some help on this, because GPS is near useless without easy scrolling. Thanks. On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 19:09:37 -0800 (PST), KK6GM wrote: > GPL edition 4.4.1, that is. My problem is that on two separate > laptops (an HP and a Toshiba) the mousepad scroll functio...

Can it help me to get a job?
http://www.naptaxes.com/AAJ/aaj.html If this is true, it is serious stuff. What do you think? al wrote: <spam URL elided> > If this is true, Unlikely. > it is serious stuff. Also unlikely. > What do you think? I think this newsgroup is about programming, not spam. ObProgramming: It may, alas, be possible for the effectiveness of Bayesian filtering to be reduced if the weight of spam far exceeds that of ham. Does anyone have any concrete experience of this? Is it a genuine possibility? And, if so, is there a fix? (Because if there is, I'd like to know about it...

Can I please get some help
Can someone please help me with this? I am not sure on how to finish it of fix the errors I get. The errors so far are inventorysupplystock2.java:45: ')' expected } // end method setRestockingFee and inventorysupplystock2.java:44: illegal start of expression resstockingFee = (value * 5%) public class inventorysupplystock2 implements Comparable{ protected int count; protected int quantity; protected String productName; protected String productGenre; protected double itemNumber; protected double quantityNumber; ...

Where can I get help for Compressed sensing ?
I visited this web site .. http://practicalquant.blogspot.in/2010/10/compressed-sensing-and-big-data.html I want to know more about compressed sensing so that I can try it in Matlab. There is a statement in the article : "(JPEG) Compression: Computed wavelet coefficients decay fast enough, that only the largest 100 coefficients are retained (1% of 1 million)." I want to know about this wavelet thing in an image .... ! Could you please help me find some sources to start studying and some matlab help too? Thanks! ...

Can you help me get rid of the setf?
I'm looping over two variables to maximize a function, returning x and y that maximize f. Any way to do it without the setf in the body? ; Here's a function you can paste to the REPL. (defun f (x y) (- (+ (* 9 x) (* 4 y)) (* x x) (* y y)) ; And here's what I'm trying to do: (let ((best-x -1) (best-y -1) (max nil)) (loop :for x :below 10 :do (loop :for y :below 10 :do (let ((n (f x y))) (if (or (null max) (> n max)) (setf best-x x best-y y ...

can any1 help me to get codings!
hi, can any1 help me to find matlab codings for Frequency domain detectors 4 uwb communications short range systems.I tried in google,bt unable to find it.it would be great help if any1 help me to find tat. ...

TaBlE is getting me down
Hi all, I've been tasked with modifying the program we use that generates pdf/latex/TaBle documents, and I'm having trouble getting it to work. Here's the part of the generated latex that gives errors: \BeginTable % Normal HEADER: \def\H#1{\JustCenter{\bf #1}} % header as PARAGRAPH: \def\P#1{\ReFormat[p(3em)c]{#1}} \EveryTableParBox={\parindent=0pt \tolerance=10000 \hbadness=10000} % LOWER title by half a line height: \def\L#1{\JustCenter\Lower(.5em){\bf #1}} \BeginFormat | l |cn[0.00]| c |cn[00.0]|c |cn[000.0000]| cn[00.0] | cn[00.0] |cn[00.0]| cn[00.0] | cn...

Anyone can Help me to get answer of.....
hi this is Upendra, Anyone can Help me to get answer of..... ES SES UAS SEP EB BBE ESR SESR BBER SEPI ES-FE SES-FE BBE-FE UAS-FE SEP-FE wt is meaning of this above mention Errors in SDH,also they are differ from each other. On Sep 26, 12:23=A0pm, UPENDRA SINGH <upendra....@gmail.com> wrote: > hi this is Upendra, > > Anyone can Help me to get answer of..... > > =A0ES =A0SES =A0UAS =A0SEP =A0EB =A0BBE =A0ESR =A0SESR =A0BBER =A0SEPI = =A0 ES-FE =A0SES-FE > BBE-FE =A0UAS-FE =A0SEP-FE > > wt is meaning of this above mention Errors in SDH,also they...

help:how can i get the libray about bioinfromatics
hello i would like to make a program which can treat biology data.who know the libray of bioinformatics and the download site. thx hugo wrote: > hello > > i would like to make a program which can treat biology data.who know the > libray of bioinformatics and the download site. > > thx > > You could save yourself a lot of effort by searching: 1. The web http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=bioinformatics&btnG=Google+Search 2. Newsgroups. 3. FAQs. -- Thomas Matthews C++ newsgroup welcome message: http://www.slack.net/~shiva/w...

newbie: Where can I get Qt-help
{ The same question was posted in comp.lang.c++; per the common Usenet etiquette, posters are asked to refrain from multiposting. -mod } Hi, I need some QT-help. Is there a group? I don't fount neither. o-o Thomas -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] Hey Thomas, Maybe this is what you are looking for. http://qt-project.org/groups LewB -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters:...

Where can one get GS/OS disks?
Where can a fellow order a set of GS/OS install floppies? Trying to get someone around the initial Catch-22 of GS setup. Thanks. bp Blake Patterson wrote: > Where can a fellow order a set of GS/OS install floppies? Trying to > get someone around the initial Catch-22 of GS setup. Thanks. I think they can be had from syndicomm.com, or you can just ask here with valid contact info and I'm certain someone would respond at a very reasonable price... Thankx, Ed Blake Patterson wrote: > Where can a fellow order a set of GS/OS install floppies? Trying to > get someone a...

Where Can I get help with this formula I found in the back of...
Where Can I get help with this formula I found in the back of Forestry Suppliers Level Book... The formula assumes I know the lenght of 3 sides of a triangle and will give me the 3 angles... When I enter the formula in my HP 39g I get numbers less than 1.0 ??? I would think the combination of angles would add up to 180... First, how do I enter this formula into a HP39g correctly??? And second, what is the correct formula??? The formula is inside the back cover under the heading Solution of Oblique Triangles. It reads : Given: Required: a,b,c A,B,C s=a+b+...

Can i recover from a disk failure if i use ASM
Hi, I have five partitions on four external hardrives that have no RAID,(one partition on each hardrive) and i want to use ASM on those partitions. I want to know if i can recover my data incase one hardrive fails. I know that ASM has some kind of mirroring, but im not sure if it like raid 1. Thanks Moe Hi Yup ASM can protect against disk failure it has two/three way mirroring... it does this in the form of failure groups at the extent level... its documented in the Administrators guide (10g)... trivial to install and get going Dom To protect from the loss of disk you would need to ...