How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database

Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server
"B" with an Access database.
I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on
"B". How can i do this?
Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"?
thanks
0
m0lok (3)

On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <m0...@yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server
> "B" with an Access database.
> I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on
> "B". How can i do this?
> Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"?
> thanks

You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time
when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables.

Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that
Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but
concurrent access sucks).

C.

On 30 Apr, 14:28, "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" <..> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <molok> wrote:
>
> > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server
> > "B" with an Access database.
> > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on
> > "B". How can i do this?
> > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"?
> > thanks
>
> You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time
> when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables.

I'll 've to do only a few of interrogation of "select" two-three time
at day, so performance are not a problem.

> Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that
> Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but
> concurrent access sucks).
Mhm. How i can see the table in the .mdb access file on the
workstation "B" from the Oracle server in the workstation "A"?
What type of solution you suggest? Odbc, Ado...

0
m0lok (3)
4/30/2008 1:27:18 PM
Molok wrote:

> Mhm. How i can see the table in the .mdb access file on the
> workstation "B" from the Oracle server in the workstation "A"?
> What type of solution you suggest? Odbc, Ado...

You did not specify your platform, so let's assume Windows. You have to
use the following technologies:

* Windows shared folders
* ODBC
* Oracle Heterogeneous Connectivity

HTH

Y.

0
yossarian99 (106)
4/30/2008 1:37:53 PM
On 30 Apr, 15:37, yossarian <yossaria...@operamail.com> wrote:
> Molok wrote:
> > Mhm. How i can see the table in the .mdb access file on the
> > workstation "B" from the Oracle server in the workstation "A"?
> > What type of solution you suggest? Odbc, Ado...
>
> You did not specify your platform, so let's assume Windows. You have to
> use the following technologies:
eheh...i hear this as "you seem to be a bit confused..so i'm sure you
have windows.." ;D
Ok: windows 2003 server+oracle that want see a table in a windows xp
access database.

> * Windows shared folders
mhm..i have to "share" the database?
> * ODBC
This is necessary on the "ms-access" machine to point at the db with a
dsn,it's right?
> * Oracle Heterogeneous Connectivity
i'm seeng a guide on this thing. i presume that my oracle versione has
the tools pre-installed.

thanks much!

> HTH
>
> Y.

0
m0lok (3)
4/30/2008 2:32:42 PM
Molok wrote:

>> * Windows shared folders
> mhm..i have to "share" the database?

Since Access is an embedded DB, not a client/server one, you must find a
way to open the MDB file directly from the Oracle server. Windows shared
folders come to mind.

>> * ODBC
> This is necessary on the "ms-access" machine to point at the db with a
> dsn,it's right?

No, ODBC must be present on the Oracle server because Heterogeneous
Connectivity make calls to the ODBC stack.

>> * Oracle Heterogeneous Connectivity
> i'm seeng a guide on this thing. i presume that my oracle versione has
> the tools pre-installed.

No tools, just the Heterogeneous Connectivity libraries. You have to
modify a bunch of configuration files and bounce the listener IIRC.

Kind regards, Y.
0
yossarian99 (106)

SqlSpec

Oracle databases on a server

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

tcl database connection for Oracle MySQL PostgreSQL Sybase "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine" DB2 Interbase/Firebird SQLite Microsoft Access
Hello everyone, There are many people that are looking for/missing the support for their database within TCL. Somehow this was overlooked: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/index.html It has native TCL API and supports most popular databases. One problem: It doesn't have production ready support on Windows, but for the lucky people who use Linux/Unix, it seems to be an excellent solution, while TDBC is being developed. One small correction, the TCL part of the db connection will work just fine on Windows connecting to sqlrelay running on Linux/Unix (which, in turn, can connect to the database running on Windows :) ). What doesn't have production ready support (according to developers) is sqlrelay running on Windows. ...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an exercise in frustration. /Hans ...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

Oracle newbie
Appologies if this is a stupid question? Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a secondary means of access Not certain what you mean there. Do you mean that login information retained in the Internet Directory store would be retrieved by some application which would then connect to the target database with it? Definitely can be done. That's what it's for, among other things. Oracle has created products that do just this very thing. Some Oracle options depend on it. The Internet Directory does not itself connect to the target database, only to its back end database so far as I know. It simply answers requests from LDAP clients. HTH td brian white wrote: > Appologies if this is a stupid question? > > > Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e > access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a > secondary means of access ...

update oracle database when ever changes are made in access database
Hi all, well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous process either changes made or not so what should i do. "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > process either changes made or not so what should i do. Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. Jim "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message news:<A3GNc.174982$IQ4.4937@attbi_s02>... > "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message > news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > > Hi all, > > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > > process either changes made or not so what should i do. > Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. > Jim but the problem is that the actual application that we are enhancing is using access and ...

how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server
I am on Redhat Linux 9 and using Oracle 10G (10.0.1.3?). I know how to create a Oracle database instance and use EM database control to administer the database. To access database control from a browser, Oracle asks to enter a URL: http://server_name:5500/em The URL does not specify the ORACLE_SID. I however want to create several database instances on the same box. Will Oracle automatically set up a different port (e.g., 5501) for second instance. All the documentation I have found on Oracle's web site refers to a single database instance on a server. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks a lot, Prem You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid Control or DB Console. Jining Han Jining Han wrote: > You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your > database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid > Control or DB Console. > > Jining Han I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to access many instnaces on the same server using database control. Prem Of course you can, a DB Console for each database, and you can choose that as your preferred approach, too. But I really think it's a waste of resources and a big inconvenience. You are probably better off with the "tradictional" desktop console. Just my 2 cents. Jining Han <premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table > spaces, data.... > > how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > > I appreciate ur help, > > thx > > Plactoon And the version and size are irrelevant? ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On 1 Aug 2006 15:18:38 -0700, "Plactoon" <elsersupremo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi everyone, > >I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all >equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to >change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table >spaces, data.... > >how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > >I appreciate ur help, > >thx > >Plactoon That would be an inadvisible ...

Strange Network Error on Oracle Database Server
Hi Oracle Gurus, We are experiencing a strange Oracle database server(Windows 2003) behaviour When we try to start Oracle database from services -- It does not start the database and in Oradim.log we see following error -- ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error and in sqlnet.ora -- Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=host02)(USER=SYSTEM)))) However, If I try to manually start the database by login in as sys, it gets started. I have already tried following (a) Recreate the service using Oradim.exe (b) Removed sqlnet.ora file from C:\Oracle\Ora90\network\ADMIN What can be the possible reason(s) for this. Thanks If you can connect to the database instance, even if it is "idle", the service must have started. Without the service having started, you cannot connect via sqlplus.exe even on the server console (on win32). Perhaps it is taking a relatively long time for the database instance to be completely open - and the error message that you show above is a timed out connection attempt? Is the ORACLE_SID of interest "ORCL"? When you re-created the OS Service, did you set the startmode to auto or manual? Is there an init.ora in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database folder that has an IFILE entry to the real parameter file? Is the service owned by a...

Web resources about - How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database - comp.databases.oracle.server