how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server

I am on Redhat Linux 9 and using Oracle 10G (10.0.1.3?).
I know how to create a Oracle database instance and use
EM database control to administer the database.

To access database control from a browser, Oracle asks to enter
a URL:
http://server_name:5500/em

The URL does not specify the ORACLE_SID.

I however want to create several database instances on the same box.
Will Oracle automatically set up a different port (e.g., 5501) for
second instance.

All the documentation I have found on Oracle's web site refers to a
single database instance on a server.

Appreciate any pointers.

Thanks a lot,

Prem

0
premmehrotra (202)

You need to read about Grid Control.  Actually when you create your
database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid
Control or DB Console.

Jining Han

0
jining.han (113)
2/22/2005 5:54:31 AM
Jining Han wrote:
> You need to read about Grid Control.  Actually when you create your
> database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid
> Control or DB Console.
>
> Jining Han

I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to
access many instnaces on the same server using database control.

Prem

0
premmehrotra (202)
2/22/2005 1:32:35 PM
Of course you can, a DB Console for each database, and you can choose
that as your preferred approach, too.   But I really think it's a waste
of resources and a big inconvenience.   You are probably better off
with the "tradictional" desktop console.

Just my 2 cents.

Jining Han

0
jining.han (113)
2/22/2005 1:47:38 PM
<premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Jining Han wrote:
>> You need to read about Grid Control.  Actually when you create your
>> database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid
>> Control or DB Console.
>>
>> Jining Han
>
> I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to
> access many instnaces on the same server using database control.
>
> Prem

check out the Oracle´┐Ż Database Installation Guide, appendix E 'Oracle
Database Default Port Numbers'

haven't done this, but it looks like each instance requires its own port (?)

++ mcs

0
Mark
2/22/2005 1:51:31 PM
Mark C. Stock wrote:
> <premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Jining Han wrote:
> >> You need to read about Grid Control.  Actually when you create
your
> >> database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use
Grid
> >> Control or DB Console.
> >>
> >> Jining Han
> >
> > I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to
> > access many instnaces on the same server using database control.
> >
> > Prem
> >

> check out the Oracle=AE Database Installation Guide, appendix E
'Oracle
> Database Default Port Numbers'
>
> haven't done this, but it looks like each instance requires its own
port (?)

> ++ mcs

Here is the response I received from metalink. I have yet to verify it:

Hello Prem K:

1=2E You are correct-- when you install a 2nd DB on the same node then
the Isntaller will search the oraInventory and dete
rmine if there is already an install on port 5500 and if so (as in your
case) th
en it will increment the port for the new SID and you will then connect
on port
5501.

When you install a 3rd DB then the port will be 5502, and so on.

2=2E Each time you start DB Control, be sure to set the environment
variables for the
ORACLE_HOME and
ORACLE_SID
*before* issuing the startup command "emctl start dbconsole" to ensure
that the correct DB Console is started.

If the $ORACLE_HOME is in the PATH then the PATH may need to be reset
as well-- depends on your c
onfiguration.

0
premmehrotra (202)

SqlSpec

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

database control for multiple database
Hi, some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? Typically : LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 http://hostname:1158/em ===> UID1 or UID2 thank's On 25 oct, 16:27, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk > multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? > > Typically : > > LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 > > http://hostname:1158/em===> UID1 or UID2 > > thank's How can i do to specify port eliot06 wrote: > Hi, > some one could tel me how can i do to connect onto web interface witk > multiple database 10g on the same server whitout grid control? > > Typically : > > LIST_SID=UID1 UID2 > > http://hostname:1158/em ===> UID1 or UID2 > > thank's > In short...you cannot. DB Control is for a single database. If you want the same functionality for more than one database (without running more than one DB Control), then you will need Grid Control. HTH, Brian -- =================================================================== Brian Peasland dba@nospam.peasland.net http://www.peasland.net Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me. "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com On 25 ...

database control for several database
How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? On Oct 25, 11:09 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 25 oct, 18:56, EdStevens <quetico_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > On Oct 25, 9:39 am, eliot06 <p.hi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > How do we arbitrarily set the ports for each database? > > > Any why would you not want to just use the default ports? > > yes i want, but how can i do to find them ? Are you talking about this: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/em.102/b40002/structure.htm#sthref90 jg -- @home.com is bogus. "Single women come home, look in the refrigerator, then go to bed. Married women come home, look in the bedroom, then go to the refrigerator." - heard on radio. ...

Oracle databases on a server

How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database
Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server "B" with an Access database. I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on "B". How can i do this? Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? thanks On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <m0...@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > "B" with an Access database. > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > "B". How can i do this? > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > thanks You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables. Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but concurrent access sucks). C. On 30 Apr, 14:28, "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" <..> wrote: > On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <molok> wrote: > > > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > > "B" with an Access database. > > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > > "B". How can i do this? > > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > > thanks > > You can attach odbc tables in Access, ...

update oracle database when ever changes are made in access database
Hi all, well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous process either changes made or not so what should i do. "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > process either changes made or not so what should i do. Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. Jim "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message news:<A3GNc.174982$IQ4.4937@attbi_s02>... > "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message > news:a76d8c39.0407272029.5df9d058@posting.google.com... > > Hi all, > > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes > > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the > > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous > > process either changes made or not so what should i do. > Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI. > Jim but the problem is that the actual application that we are enhancing is using access and ...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Replication
We have a SQLSERVER database that is replicated to many users. We are currently in an expansion phase where we need to make changes to the server database. Each time we rollout a new release, we are deleting the local replicating database and recreating. Is there any way to automatically transfer the changes from the server to existing local database without deleting? dipillama@nswccd.navy.mil (Michael diPilla) wrote in message news:<4e67e68b.0308181234.4c8e5e98@posting.google.com>... > We have a SQLSERVER database that is replicated to many users. > We are currently in an expan...

need to restore old database (database server 4.01 AIX)
hi. i need to restore an old database. The db was backed up using a DLT drive, using 2 volumes. The content for the tapes was copied to file onto Solaris machine using rsh and dd (for backup purposes). Now, the drive is defective and can't read the tapes anymore. Server is AIX 4.3.2 and database is IBM DB2 Server (DB2 for AIX Version 2.1.2) I tried doing an NFS export from solaris machine. and doing restore database ..... from /mnt but i got the following message: SQL2542N No match for a database image file was found based on the source database alias and timestamp ...

Web resources about - how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server - comp.databases.oracle.server

Tag Synonyms - Stack Overflow

Oracle Database - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
produced and marketed by Oracle Corporation . Larry Ellison and two friends and former co-workers, Bob Miner and Ed Oates , started a consultancy ...

Java LDAP Developer - 100006374 jobs at NewsCorp - Princeton
Post a job on the CrunchBoard, the official job board of the TechCrunch Network. The CrunchBoard gives you access to the millions of technology ...

Ciboodle Developer - Princeton, NJ - Technology and IT Jobs from FINS.com
Ciboodle Developer - When you join Dow Jones, you become part of one o

The Four HundredBut Wait, There's More
Two months ago, at LinuxWorld, IBM was talking up the future version of DB2 Integrated Cluster Environment for the Power platform, which was ...

Polls - LinuxInsight
LinuxInsight infinite loops in 5 seconds Home News Books Polls Privacy Contact About Search this site: Navigation Recent posts Feed aggregator ...

Certification Courses
IT Certification Training is a NetCom Learning specialty. We offers dozens of popular IT certification training together with top notch customer ...

ORACLE-BASE - Articles on Oracle 10g new features
ORACLE-BASE - Articles on Oracle 10g new features Oracle10g: New Features For Administrators Exam Tips - Some tips on what to expect when upgrading ...

linux.redhat.release.nahant.general (date)
osdir.com mailing list archive F.A.Q. -since 2001! Monthly Indexes 2006-05 2006-04 2006-03 2006-02 2006-01 2005-12 2005-11 2005-10 2005-09 2005-08 ...

Oracle Patents Verdict Form
Scribd is the world's largest social reading and publishing site.