How to configure application server to connect to a two-node oracle RAC database

We have a java based application which will access the two node RAC
database via the Orion Application Server. What should be done so that
the Orion Application Server uses both the nodes to make connections?
Right now the orion application server accesses the RAC database via
the jdbc thin client where you have to specify the ip address of the
database server and the listerner port and the instance name. If I do
it this way then the application server just connects to the particular
instance that I give it.

Thanks

0
Utpal.Dhar (18)

Can you use the OCI driver?

Regards,

Steve

0
stevedhoward (759)
5/30/2006 3:16:02 PM
I can use the OCI driver if it serves the purpose. Could you elaborate
a bit more on how to configure it and where to do it? Thanks,
Utpal

0
Utpal.Dhar (18)
5/30/2006 3:43:05 PM
The OCI driver uses the Oracle network configuration file
(tnsnames.ora) on the client (application server, in this case) for
connectivity definitions.  This is where you can configure load
balancing and failover options.

An example is below...

YOUR_DB_NAME =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = vip-node1)(PORT = 2484))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = vip-node2)(PORT = 2484))
    (LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = your_service_name)
      (FAILOVER_MODE =
        (TYPE = SELECT)
        (METHOD = BASIC)
        (RETRIES = 90)
        (DELAY = 5)
      )
    )
  )

Read up on the docs at tahiti.oracle.com, as they go into great detail
as to the different configuration options.

Regards,

Steve

0
stevedhoward (759)
5/30/2006 3:54:21 PM
So, i have to install the OCI driver on the application server as i
understand from your note. Does the Oracle Database 10G Client CD
contain the driver?

Thanks,
Utpal

0
Utpal.Dhar (18)
5/30/2006 4:07:27 PM
If you (or your application WAR, EAR,  or whatever) are/is already
instantiating the driver class with something like
Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"), then you can change
your connection string to something like...

"jdbc:oracle:oci:@your_connection_string_as_in_example_above", etc...

Regards,

Steve

0
stevedhoward (759)
5/30/2006 4:37:54 PM
But before i do that, do i have to install the Oracle Database Client
10G on the application server machine?

0
Utpal.Dhar (18)
5/30/2006 6:46:39 PM
picksdba wrote:
> We have a java based application which will access the two node RAC
> database via the Orion Application Server. What should be done so that
> the Orion Application Server uses both the nodes to make connections?
> Right now the orion application server accesses the RAC database via
> the jdbc thin client where you have to specify the ip address of the
> database server and the listerner port and the instance name. If I do
> it this way then the application server just connects to the particular
> instance that I give it.
>
> Thanks

Go to www.psoug.org and click on Resources.
Click on Downloads
Click on TAF Download

This download contains the code you will need to work with TAF.
It is not required with FCF.
With 9i you must use the JDBC Thick driver.
With 10gR2 either will work.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

We have an orion application server which has the following
configuration in the Data-sources.xml file which connects to one of the
two nodes of the Oracle RAC Database.

	<data-source
		class="com.evermind.sql.DriverManagerDataSource"
		name="Oracle"
		location="jdbc/DbCoreDS"
		xa-location="jdbc/xa/DbXADS"
		ejb-location="jdbc/DbPooledDS"
		connection-driver="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"
		username="tcfk2"
		password="xxxxxx"
		url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.10.3.24:1521:saracenp1"
		inactivity-timeout="30"
		min-connections="20"
		max-connections="100"
	/>

All i need to know is what all do i need to do so that when clients
connect they are able to connect to both the instances (automatically
by load balancing i guess) and not just one.

By the way, your site is pretty good and i will definately go through
it.

Thanks,
Utpal

0
Utpal.Dhar (18)

Using the DBI to connect to an Oracle server w/o connecting to a database
I've searched for the answer to this problem and have not seen it (which suggests what the answer might be ;-) ). Is it possible to use DBI (and DBD::Oracle) to connect to an Oracle server without connecting to a database? This would be the DBI equivalent of: sqlplus /nolog SQL> connect user/passwd@database; or, more similarly: sqlplus /nolog @my.sql where my.sql might be: connect user/passwd@database; select ... etc. I'm thinking this is not possible, but I hope it is. Thanks. Quoth Tim <google@hoodfamily.org>: > I've searched for the answer to this problem and...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are > on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out > the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 > live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is > inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update > rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How > to ensure that these select/update does not fail. > > Kishan Thakker How much data? Which version of 9i? Which version of 8? How much downtime is possible? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org ...

Oracle RAC 10g_r2: Oracle Notification Server Configuration Assistant
Hi All: I am setting up a ORACLE 10g_r2 RAC solution. Environment Details: - 2 IBM x335 series - CentOs 4.2 - 2 GB RAM - 2 X 36 GB SCSI - Intel Xeon 3.066 GHz I am stuck on the configuration of the Oracle Clusterware Configuration. I have double checked all of my steps and have retried this installer 3 times to ensure that I didn't miss anything. I am hoping that by posting this question it will perhaps receive some traction from people working on this. The error: When the Oracle Clusterware Configuration Wizard is at its final stages I get the following error: <snippet> Output generated from configuration assistant "Oracle Notification Server Configuration Assistant": Command = /u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs/bin/racgons add_config orac1:6200 orac2:6200 Configuration assistant "Oracle Notification Server Configuration Assistant" failed ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- The "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs/cfgtoollogs/configToolFailedCommands" script contains all commands that failed, were skipped or were cancelled. This file may be used to run these configuration assistants outside of OUI. Note that you may have to update this script with passwords (if any) before executing the same. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- </snippet> I opened /u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs/cfgtoollogs/configToolFailedCommand...

Oracle databases on a server

SqlSpec

why do we need to shutdown database or application server to backup Oracle Home?
Dear Group, We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log files. Any explanations will be highly appreciated. Thanks On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:52:16 -0700, cs3526 wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, Reading books and manuals can sometimes be beneficial. -- Mladen Gogala http://mgogala.freehostia.com cs3526@yahoo.com wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown > database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. According to Tom Kyte, thou shalt not schedule unattended shutdowns. C. On 14 mar, 01:52, cs3...@yahoo.com wrote: > Dear Group, > > We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. > > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown > database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. > > It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those > files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log > files. >...

How to connect from web server to Oracle server?
I am converting an applet from Sybase to Oracle and I haven't yet found information on how to accomplish the connect from the end-user's browser-running applet and the Oracle server. Our understanding is that the applet, running on end-users' PC's, can only connect to the web server which "served" the applet to the users' browsers. In our configuration, the Oracle server is a separate machine from the web server. Therefore it would appear that we will need to install some sort of middleware on the web server that will pass the Oracle traffic back and forth between the Oracle server and user's browser sessions. With the Sybase implementation we have been using the Sybase jConnect product, running on our web server, for this purpose. Will we also require such a middleware product with Oracle, and does Oracle offer such a product? Jim wrote: > I am converting an applet from Sybase to Oracle and I haven't yet > found information on how to accomplish the connect from the end-user's > browser-running applet and the Oracle server. > > Our understanding is that the applet, running on end-users' PC's, can > only connect to the web server which "served" the applet to the > users' browsers. > > In our configuration, the Oracle server is a separate machine from the > web server. Therefore it would appear that we will need to install > some sort of middleware on the web server that ...

connect a database in remote server (can connect to the server via SSH)
Hi, All: My perl code need to connect to a database (MySQL) in remote server, and I can login that server via SSH. I am a new to perl, can anyone give me a hint how can I do that. Many thanks. Xiaoyu zhangxiaoyu912@gmail.com wrote: > My perl code need to connect to a database (MySQL) in remote server, > and I can login that server via SSH. You don't need to have ssh access to the remote database server in order to be able to connect to the database (at least if the database server is configured to wait for remote connections). > I am a new to perl, can anyone give me a hint h...

What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between client and database server?
Gurus, Just learning Oracle. With help from a guru, installed 10g database on one server and 10g client on another. What's a quick simple way to test Oracle connectivity between these two servers at this point? -- Spin On Nov 1, 11:53=A0pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote: > Gurus, > > Just learning Oracle. =A0With help from a guru, installed 10g database on= one > server and 10g client on another. =A0What's a quick simple way to test Or= acle > connectivity between these two servers at this point? > > -- > Spin Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and responds with ping type information. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in message news:ce947e1a-0877-4e46-a638-91d48e92e403@u29g2000pro.googlegroups.com... On Nov 1, 11:53 pm, "Spin" <S...@invalid.com> wrote: Try the tnsping utility: tnsping service_name The utility sends a message to listener specified by the tnsnames.ora file entry for the service_name listed on the command line and responds with ping type information. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Is service_name a placeholder for something or do I literally type "service_name"? Spin says... > "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell@eds.com> wrote in ...

oracle application server, ibm websphere, sun application server �T�̥i���i�H�@�Ӥ���O?

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Oracle Application Server Internal Server Error
Hello, We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when users try to login to the application. Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start looking? We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do as the patching process keeps failing. Any help would be appreciated. gnscon@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB > back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main > application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a > couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an > "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when > users try to login to the application. > > Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms > ser...

Connecting to database from application server?

how to connect database and application servers
Hi anyone can explain me how to connect between database and application servers. both are linux servers. as per my knowledge listeners can do. is there any other tools needed like tcp/ip's. i know, we need web servrs tools to connect application and web server. like this do we need any other tools. thanks ...

tcl database connection for Oracle MySQL PostgreSQL Sybase "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine" DB2 Interbase/Firebird SQLite Microsoft Access
Hello everyone, There are many people that are looking for/missing the support for their database within TCL. Somehow this was overlooked: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/index.html It has native TCL API and supports most popular databases. One problem: It doesn't have production ready support on Windows, but for the lucky people who use Linux/Unix, it seems to be an excellent solution, while TDBC is being developed. One small correction, the TCL part of the db connection will work just fine on Windows connecting to sqlrelay running on Linux/Unix (which, in turn, can connect to the database running on Windows :) ). What doesn't have production ready support (according to developers) is sqlrelay running on Windows. ...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

Web resources about - How to configure application server to connect to a two-node oracle RAC database - comp.databases.oracle.server

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...