How to: External Tables attached directly to a MS Access mdb file???????

I only find information connecting Oracle external tables to data
files. But I dont want to transfer data to files instead I want
directly transfer data to oracle from Access. I do not know how to
change the syntax of the below External table binding

CREATE TABLE city_populations_ext (
   city_name VARCHAR(9),
   pop_1990  NUMBER,
   pop_2000  NUMBER
)
ORGANIZATION EXTERNAL (
   TYPE oracle_loader
   DEFAULT DIRECTORY census_data
   ACCESS PARAMETERS (
      RECORDS FIXED 20
      LOGFILE census_data:
        'city_populations.log'
      BADFILE census_data:
        'city_populations.bad'
      FIELDS
      MISSING FIELD VALUES ARE NULL (
          city_name (1:10) CHAR(9),
          pop_1990  (11:15) INTEGER
        EXTERNAL(4),
          POP_2000  (16:20) INTEGER
        EXTERNAL(4)
          )
   )
   LOCATION ('city_populations.dat')
)
PARALLEL 4 REJECT LIMIT UNLIMITED;
0
gajaya1 (4)

<gajaya1@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I only find information connecting Oracle external tables to data
> files. But I dont want to transfer data to files instead I want
> directly transfer data to oracle from Access. I do not know how to
> change the syntax of the below External table binding

I'm not precisely sure what you're asking, but external tables are only a
way in Oracle to read text files as though they were regular tables. Text is
(currently) the only source, and it is not possible to 'plug in' Access
mdb's.

If you are therefore trying to view Access data from within Oracle, then
external tables are not the way to go.

Regards
HJR

0
hjr (2065)
12/12/2003 10:07:56 PM
Heterogeneous Services allows you to access ODBC/OLEDB datasource from
within Oracle.  The catch is that the Oracle server must be able to see
those datasources.

--
Terry Dykstra
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.

gajaya1@netscape.net wrote:

> I only find information connecting Oracle external tables to data
> files. But I dont want to transfer data to files instead I want
> directly transfer data to oracle from Access. I do not know how to
> change the syntax of the below External table binding

There is no relationship between "external tables" and MS Access. You
are confusing two entirely different things.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
12/13/2003 12:39:40 AM
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:21:45 -0800, gajaya1 wrote:

> I only find information connecting Oracle external tables to data
> files. But I dont want to transfer data to files instead I want
> directly transfer data to oracle from Access. I do not know how to
> change the syntax of the below External table binding

You don't do anything like that. You do not transfer data from oracle
to access. You read the oracle database with MS Access. There is
something called ODBC which can make MS-Access read oracle database.
You see, oracle RDBMS is a database and MS-Access is a reporting tool
which impersonates a database. The Only Right Way (TM) is to use a
reporting tool to read the database and not to use the database to push a
report toward the reporting tool. You have to learn the Tao.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)

0
mgogala1 (83)
12/13/2003 4:54:14 AM
What is he Best way scedule the data transfer day to day basis using a
command line program.?

Mladen Gogala <mgogala@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.12.13.04.54.48.260305@adelphia.net>...
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:21:45 -0800, gajaya1 wrote:
>
> > I only find information connecting Oracle external tables to data
> > files. But I dont want to transfer data to files instead I want
> > directly transfer data to oracle from Access. I do not know how to
> > change the syntax of the below External table binding
>
> You don't do anything like that. You do not transfer data from oracle
> to access. You read the oracle database with MS Access. There is
> something called ODBC which can make MS-Access read oracle database.
> You see, oracle RDBMS is a database and MS-Access is a reporting tool
> which impersonates a database. The Only Right Way (TM) is to use a
> reporting tool to read the database and not to use the database to push a
> report toward the reporting tool. You have to learn the Tao.
0
gajaya1 (4)
12/14/2003 3:14:41 AM
> I want to directly transfer data to oracle from Access.

Girard Linker has a great, cheap MS-Excel API product called SQL*XL:

http://www.oraxcel.com/

How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database
Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server "B" with an Access database. I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on "B". How can i do this? Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? thanks On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <m0...@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > "B" with an Access database. > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > "B". How can i do this? > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > thanks You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables. Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but concurrent access sucks). C. On 30 Apr, 14:28, "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" <..> wrote: > On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <molok> wrote: > > > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > > "B" with an Access database. > > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > > "B". How can i do this? > > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > > thanks > > You can attach odbc tables in Access, ...

Access MS SQL Server tables from Oracle 9i
Hi, I need to access MS SQL Server tables (SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000) from applications running on Oracle 9i on a Solaris 8 (Sparc) server. I think I am in the same situation as the person in <e70fc892.0209031332.6045a661@posting.google.com> (which is from 2002). I took a look at the Heterogenous Connectivity Admin Guide, and found I have the choice of Transparent Gateway (15K$) or Generic Connectivity. Has anybody used G.C. to do this before? Are there free/open source ODBC drivers for Solaris 8? Could I use unixODBC as a driver manager? Thorsten "Thorsten Jens" <thojens@gmx.de> wrote in news:1116849505.253565.178620@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > Hi, > > I need to access MS SQL Server tables (SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000) > from applications running on Oracle 9i on a Solaris 8 (Sparc) server. I > think I am in the same situation as the person in ><e70fc892.0209031332.6045a661@posting.google.com> (which is from 2002). > > I took a look at the Heterogenous Connectivity Admin Guide, and found I > have the choice of Transparent Gateway (15K$) or Generic Connectivity. > Has anybody used G.C. to do this before? Are there free/open source > ODBC drivers for Solaris 8? Could I use unixODBC as a driver manager? > > Thorsten > > PERL can inter-operate with both DBs "concurrently". Try this http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/article.php/10893_3442661_1 Let me know i...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval fro...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

How to get table names from ms access(mdb file) by using odbc library.
Hi. I am writing a c++ program get the data from mdb file using odbc library. By the way, I couldn't get table list from mdb file. i goolgled it up little bit, what i found is only using the ADO(or OLE i'm not sure) library and "SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE Type In (1,4,6) AND Left([Name], 4)<>"MSYS" this query. i already wrote a lot of part of this program so i don't want to switch database library. And the query gives "no read permission on 'MSysObjects' " error message. If you know how to get the table list from a mdb file by using odbc library, please share your experience. thank you. If you using odbc to a mdb file, then you MUST have jet installed, and THEREFORE you MUST also have dao installed on your machine (in fact, out of the box, windows xp, server 2003, vista etc DOES HAVE the jet database engine installed by default (thus you don't need to install anything on a windows computer to read mdb files. here is a windows (vbs) script that displays all tables...you can use late binding in your project, and you should little trouble getting a list of tables using the following idea. Set dbeng = CreateObject("DAO.DBEngine.36") strMdbFile = "C:\Documents and Settings\Lawrence\My Documents\Access\ScriptExample\MultiSelect.mdb" Set db = dbeng.OpenDatabase(strMdbFile) for each table in db.tabledefs msgbox table.name next The above is not a vba script. Paste the above into a te...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

SqlSpec

import oracle tables to ms access
Hi, I want to import some tables from Oracle 9i to MS Access 2000. I'm able to import the table structures and data using File->Get External Data->Import . (I don't want to import links) However, this does not allow me to import constraints and relationships between tables. Is there some way to do so. If not through a menu or utility, is it possible to write code for this activity. Thanks in advance Arti Arti Potnis wrote: > Hi, > > I want to import some tables from Oracle 9i to MS Access 2000. > I'm able to import the table structures and data using File->...

MS-access file on Oracle 9i
Hi, I am wondering wether it's possible to connect an Oracle 9i client-version to a MS-access file. If it's possible please let me know how. /Mads Mads wrote: > Hi, > > I am wondering wether it's possible to connect an Oracle 9i > client-version to a MS-access file. If it's possible please let me > know how. > > /Mads No. But for what possible reason would you want to do it? Take whatever is in MS Access and put it into the real database. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan wrote: > Mads wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> I am wondering wether it's possible to connect an Oracle 9i >> client-version to a MS-access file. If it's possible please let me >> know how. >> >> /Mads > > > No. But for what possible reason would you want to do it? Take whatever > is in MS Access and put it into the real database. Actually you can, thru heterogeneous services you can connect to an MSaccess "database" from an Oracle database thru ODBC and treat it like a linked database. Unless they discontinued that in 9i... hth Glen A Stromquist wrote: > Daniel Morgan wrote: > >> Mads wrote: >> >>> Hi, >>> >>> I am wondering wethe...

Win2000 Server can access client but client cannot access server files.
Hi We're running 2000 Server feeding 4 PC's and two Macs. Last week I found one PC can no longer access files on the server whereas the server can access any files on that PC. I suppose it's a good sign that it is at least working in one direction. I just need to get it back to working both ways. Though I am very competent with stand alone PCs I'm not very experienced with networks. I'd very grateful of any suggestions regarding settings I should check that would re-connect the link of this PC to the server. If there are any web sites you can recommend for network ne...

Web resources about - How to: External Tables attached directly to a MS Access mdb file??????? - comp.databases.oracle.server

File:Commons-logo.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This image, or parts of it, is an official logo or design used by Wikimedia Foundation or by one of its projects. It is copyrighted by the Wikimedia ...

Computer file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A computer file is a resource for storing information, which is available to a computer program and is usually based on some kind of durable ...

Peabody may file for bankruptcy as coal crashes
Peabody Energy, the largest US coal miner, said it may not be financially strong enough to remain in business in its current form.

Amazon files patent for pay by selfie
The ubiquitous selfie could soon have a functional purpose in the online payments sector. Amazon has filed a patent to allow customers to pay ...

From The Career Files: Does Competition Make You A Better Lawyer?
Whether you’re representing a client in litigation or in a transaction, you’re tasked with making sure that your arguments for your clients’ ...

Create and search file lists with File List Maker
Windows Search is great at locating files on the current PC, but what if you also want to check CDs, DVDs, USB keys, even other computers? File ...

Airbnb Launching Tool To Let Neighbors File Complaints About Bad Renters
... to air your grievances directly with the company. The home-sharing business is launching a new tool next month that will allow people to file ...

How to view your Google Drive files faster with Launch Center Pro
... many workflow problems for me over the years. Most recently it’s been an immense time-saver when it comes to accessing Google Drive files I ...

Feds File Suit To Block L.A. Times Owner From Buying Orange County Register
Making good on its pre-auction warning, the Justice Department today filed a civil antitrust lawsuit in Los Angeles seeking to block the acquisition ...

'The Rockford Files' Star Joe Santos Dead at 84
The actor, who more recently appeared on 'The Sopranos,' had a heart attack.