How to migrate a 24X7 DB2 server to Oracle server ?

Hi ~!!

Do anyone know what software or method to migrate a 24X7 DB2 to Oracle server ?
or I must close the DB2 server before I do the migration ?

Thanks a lot !!

cclemon

cclemon wrote:

> Hi ~!!
>
> Do anyone know what software or method to migrate a 24X7 DB2 to Oracle server ?
> or I must close the DB2 server before I do the migration ?
>
> Thanks a lot !!
>
> cclemon

Are you asking how you can have the DB2 server up and running and
seemlessly migrate active transactions to Oracle? If so ... it isn't
going to happen.

Your best course of action is to pick a point-in-time where all new
transactions are sent to the Oracle server and then when the last
DB2 transaction terminates ... quickly migrate any recently changed
transactions.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
2/27/2004 6:56:42 PM
Pah!  Impossible. Some of their transactions
NEVER terminate...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> Your best course of action is to pick a point-in-time where all new
> transactions are sent to the Oracle server and then when the last
> DB2 transaction terminates ... quickly migrate any recently changed
> transactions.

0
wizofoz2k (1386)
2/28/2004 12:41:03 PM
Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1077908166.220643@yasure>...
> cclemon wrote:
>
> > Hi ~!!
> >
> > Do anyone know what software or method to migrate a 24X7 DB2 to Oracle server ?
> > or I must close the DB2 server before I do the migration ?
> >
> > Thanks a lot !!
> >
> > cclemon
>
> Are you asking how you can have the DB2 server up and running and
> seemlessly migrate active transactions to Oracle? If so ... it isn't
> going to happen.
>
> Your best course of action is to pick a point-in-time where all new
> transactions are sent to the Oracle server and then when the last
> DB2 transaction terminates ... quickly migrate any recently changed
> transactions.

Really thanks ~

So do you have and good software to recommand other than "Oracle
Migration Workbench" ?

Thanks again.

cclemon
Noons wrote:

> Pah!  Impossible. Some of their transactions
> NEVER terminate...

After 24 hours issue this command: init 5

It is amazingly effective.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
2/28/2004 5:59:27 PM
cclemon wrote:

>>Your best course of action is to pick a point-in-time where all new
>>transactions are sent to the Oracle server and then when the last
>>DB2 transaction terminates ... quickly migrate any recently changed
>>transactions.
>

> Really thanks ~
>
> So do you have and good software to recommand other than "Oracle
> Migration Workbench" ?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> cclemon

Personally I don't have much use for Migration Workbench. I guess it
is a good starting point. But it produces code that is really nothing
but a starting point if you want performance and scalability.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
2/28/2004 6:05:16 PM
Daniel Morgan wrote:

[snip!]
> Personally I don't have much use for Migration Workbench. I guess it
> is a good starting point. But it produces code that is really nothing
> but a starting point if you want performance and scalability.

it's getting better... it now understands when to leave code alone;
a great improvement.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

0
fvanbortel (757)
2/28/2004 8:13:05 PM
ROFL!

--

> After 24 hours issue this command: init 5
>
> It is amazingly effective.

0
wizofoz2k (1386)
2/29/2004 1:19:42 AM
Have a look at www.starquest.com, they have DB2 to Oracle migration solutions,

Bob

cclemoncclemon@hotmail.com (cclemon) wrote in message news:<75a5a077.0402280756.57534ed6@posting.google.com>...
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1077908166.220643@yasure>...
> > cclemon wrote:
> >
> > > Hi ~!!
> > >
> > > Do anyone know what software or method to migrate a 24X7 DB2 to Oracle server ?
> > > or I must close the DB2 server before I do the migration ?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot !!
> > >
> > > cclemon
> >
> > Are you asking how you can have the DB2 server up and running and
> > seemlessly migrate active transactions to Oracle? If so ... it isn't
> > going to happen.
> >
> > Your best course of action is to pick a point-in-time where all new
> > transactions are sent to the Oracle server and then when the last
> > DB2 transaction terminates ... quickly migrate any recently changed
> > transactions.
>
> Really thanks ~
>
> So do you have and good software to recommand other than "Oracle
> Migration Workbench" ?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> cclemon
0
db2team (22)
2/29/2004 11:32:57 AM
Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1077991482.793271@yasure>...
> cclemon wrote:
>
> >>Your best course of action is to pick a point-in-time where all new
> >>transactions are sent to the Oracle server and then when the last
> >>DB2 transaction terminates ... quickly migrate any recently changed
> >>transactions.
> >

> > Really thanks ~
> >
> > So do you have and good software to recommand other than "Oracle
> > Migration Workbench" ?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > cclemon
>
> Personally I don't have much use for Migration Workbench. I guess it
> is a good starting point. But it produces code that is really nothing
> but a starting point if you want performance and scalability.

Thanks~ I think maybe I will try to use SQLways, I hope it can help..

and thanks for your help!
Thanks for Noon's help too~ the "init 5" command really helps ~ ha..ha...

cclemon
why not just init 0?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> Noons wrote:
>
> > Pah!  Impossible. Some of their transactions
> > NEVER terminate...
>
> After 24 hours issue this command: init 5
>
> It is amazingly effective.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan@x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

0
n-litchfield (344)
3/1/2004 9:12:08 AM
Niall Litchfield wrote:

> why not just init 0?

Because 0 is nothing and 5 is something.   ;-)

On reflection ... perhaps I should have suggested init 6
which is even more of something whatever that something is.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

WINODS NT SERVER Oracle
I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, i.e., one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the workarounds. Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. Do same problem exist with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client. Thanks, Prem On 19 Feb 2004 18:38:10 -0800, premmehrotra@hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote: >I have Oracle database running on a Wi...

How to connect from web server to Oracle server?
I am converting an applet from Sybase to Oracle and I haven't yet found information on how to accomplish the connect from the end-user's browser-running applet and the Oracle server. Our understanding is that the applet, running on end-users' PC's, can only connect to the web server which "served" the applet to the users' browsers. In our configuration, the Oracle server is a separate machine from the web server. Therefore it would appear that we will need to install some sort of middleware on the web server that will pass the Oracle traffic back and forth betw...

Know about MSSQL servers oracle server??
MSSQL servers are among the most commonly used servers. But we also know that MSSQL server security is a critical concern for most of the database administrators. This task will become handy with the help of Secure Auditor which is a unified digital risk management solution capable of auditing, enforce compliance, and conduct forensics and penetration tests on the networks. Try its full version from the link http://www.download.com/Secure-Auditor/3000-2653-10826743.html?part=dl-SecureAud&subj=uo&tag=button and do tell me your opinion. alene wrote: > MSSQL servers are among the most...

SqlSpec

I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d...

Oracle application server and AIX apache server
Dears, One of my customer has just installed Oracle application server which automatically install apache server for oracle on aix. It is working fine......now the problem is that he also wants documentation server to be functional. Now i want to know whether i have to install AIX apache server ( from AIX5.2 bonus pack CD or from net ) and then use smitty options to configure internet and documentation search server or there is any way to use apache server installed by application server running at some port like 5790. Also can two apache servers on the same machine work at different ports??? ...

Import Export between Oracle server and cache server
Hi .. Is there any tool / way to shift databases between Oracle database server and InterSystem's Cache database server. I need to export a database from oracle server to cache server with all tables with data, indexes etc. Any help / suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanx ------ Pradeep Kumar Software Enginner ---------------------------------------------------------- What's right isn't always popular, and what's popular isn't always right. ---------------------------------------------------------- ...

Oracle Application Server Internal Server Error
Hello, We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when users try to login to the application. Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system ca...

Linked Server Error Between SQL Server and Oracle
I have used Linked Servers to hook up to an Oracle 9i database in SQL Server 2000. I can see all the Tables and Views when I look in the linked server section. I can also run the following SQL statement : Select * from Orcldb..SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites and get a return result. The problem I realize is that some of the tables are going to be quite larger and I can't wait for SQL Server to download all the data and parse it itself, so I tried to use a passthrough query like so : SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(OrclDB, 'SELECT * FROM SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites') Unfortunately this gives m...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, kee...

Connection the oracle server fails for domain restricted server
Hello, I am using Orion as my application server and Oracle 8.1.6 as the database. The problem is that the database that needs to be acceessed from my application has domain restricted authorization and is remote. I can access it from an authorized domain using TOAD, sqlplus etc. Only when I try to access it using my appliation (where the database connection details are stored in datasources.xml) I get an invalid username/password: logon denied error! I know the connection details are correct since i have checked similar connections to non-domain restriceted oracle servers. Has anyone come across something similar? Is there a possible solution to the problem? Thanks, Pras ...

looking for notes on oracle 9ias server and report server
hi, I am a DBA. currently learning oracle 9ias . I have the documentation from oracle. But it is really lengthy. I am looking for notes from where I can get a brief over view of oracle 9ias and as a adminstrator what type of role I have to perform. any pointers towards this will be helpful. thanking in advance, regards Chennakeshava Ramesh (same as ramesh_jun24) Are you going to install, configure, develop, and support stuff in 9ias or just administer it after someone else does all the above? What kinds of apps will be running in your 9ias environment and where are they from? Are they j...

Oracle DB Server and Web Server with thai support
Hi, all I have DB Server ( Sun Server act as Oracle 8i DB Server ). and I have Web Server ( Dell Server RHEL4 ES act as Web Server run apache2 + php + Zendcore for oracle ) I want to use My Application run from Web Server to Connect Oracle Server . and want to use thai support of oracle. What next i should to do more ? ::: config. httpd.conf of apache2 of Web Server ? ::: config. code of my PHP-application ? ::: config. Oracle DB Server ? ::: config. RHEL4 Server ? and i want someone tell me the detail and step to me. Please me. Thank you very much Pratchaya On 19 Feb 2006...

Server to Server SAS Migration
I am looking for a contract resource to fulfill an engagement that involves moving a SAS environment from a HP-AIX server to a Windows Server. This is initially a fairly short term engagement with additional follow-up work likely. If you or anyone you know is qualified to fulfill this assignment please contact me off-list via e-mail and I can provide further details. Thanks, Al Abraham Elite Technology Solutions al.abraham@elite-ts.com ...

migrating from a server to a new server
Hi all I have to migrate all the settings, users and the applications from an old server running Sco Open server 5.0.5 to a new server running the same version. Wich is the best and shortest way to follow ??? Thanks to all Piertonio Sorry I post in the wrong NG !!! Piertonio "curious fish" <ipop@tiscali.it> ha scritto nel messaggio news:428b648e$0$15914$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it... > Hi all > > I have to migrate all the settings, users and the applications from an old > server running Sco Open server 5.0.5 to a new server running the same > version. Wich is th...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to s...

Xvfb X-server emulator and Oracle 11i reports server
We are running Oracle Financials 11i on Solaris8, the machine in question in a SunFire F12K domain and has no directly attached console. The reports server for Oracle 11i requires an Xserver to write to for the production of bitmap reports. We have installed Xvfb which emulates an Xserver on machines without a directly attached console. I can get a simple X application like xclock to start against the pseudo Xserver but when the Oracle 11i ar60runb job is run to produce bitmap reports it returns a REP-3000 error I have experimented with starting Xvfb with different screen size options but ...

from sql server to oracle to ANOTHER oracle
I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. I try to write something like SELECT * FROM LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 but it does not work questions 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? 2) if so, how ? thank you! On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > I have to write a query from ...

Web resources about - How to migrate a 24X7 DB2 server to Oracle server ? - comp.databases.oracle.server

1-800-Flowers Becomes the First Client to Migrate to Facebook’s Revamped Atlas Ad Platform
... platform , which Facebook announced at Advertising Week 2014 in New York at the end of September, has its first client, as 1-800-Flowers migrated ...

Facebook Migrates 400,000 Users to Fans of Apple’s Page
While Facebook has been turning up the marketing on businesses and brand owners to create Facebook Pages, one feature of Pages that is less well ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

'You don't migrate to this country unless you want to join our team': Tony Abbott renews push on national ...
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has elaborated on his "Team Australia" remarks, telling a radio interview that "you don't migrate to this country ...

Tony Abbott's woman problem migrates to his ministry
Tony Abbott is having women trouble. It's nothing he said, mind.

Doctors and Nurses From Poor Countries Migrate To Rich Ones
Australia has saved almost $640 million by poaching doctors from some of the poorest countries in Africa.

Pacific Islanders reject 'climate refugee' status, want to 'migrate with dignity', SIDS conference hears ...
Pacific Islanders who may be forced to flee rising sea levels say they want to be able to migrate with dignity.

Polar bears migrate to Canadian Arctic for longer lasting ice: study
Some polar bear clusters have slowly moved to islands north of Canada's mainland that are retaining the Arctic ice for longer, according to a ...

Apple Music giving former Beats subscribers month grace period to migrate libraries
... all of their content, playlists, music, and preferences will be safe until January 19th, 2016. That means that you have until then to migrate ...

Verizon Explains the Real Reason Geese Migrate
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots , new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv , a company that catalogs, tags ...