How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls

Hi everyone,

I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all
equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to
change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table
spaces, data....

how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?,

I appreciate ur help,

thx

Plactoon

Plactoon wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all
> equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to
> change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table
> spaces, data....
>
> how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?,
>
> I appreciate ur help,
>
> thx
>
> Plactoon

And the version and size are irrelevant?  ;-)
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all
>equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to
>change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table
>spaces, data....
>
>how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?,
>
>I appreciate ur help,
>
>thx
>
>Plactoon

That would be an inadvisible move.
Windows 2000
a) scales badly
b) has been desupported by Microsoft (no free patches any longer)

Apart from that, the Windows architecture is completely different, so
there will be no replica. If you retain the directory names, the file
names will be completely different.
You export / import is your friend, and you need to
- create a database on the new server
- export (full export) the old database
- transfer by means of (binary) ftp your export
- import your export in the new database.

But I would reconsider. Your move is not sensible.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
Plactoon wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all
> equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to
> change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table
> spaces, data....
>
> how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?,
>
> I appreciate ur help,
>
> thx
>
> Plactoon

Is this something you are doing once or periodically?  Why do you need
to "mirror,"  what exactly does that mean and what are you going to do
with it?

I had a similar situation where I had to sync nightly, the fastest
simple way turned out to be CTAS over a dblink.  But then again, I had
a fast reliable network between the two, downtime during the night, and
only a few dozen tables and gigabytes were actually being used.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
What?

0
joel-garry (4553)
8/1/2006 11:43:01 PM
The Oracle version is 9i, and this is something i need to do once.
This is going to be a test bd

thx

Plantoon

Plactoon schreef:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all
> equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to
> change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table
> spaces, data....
>
> how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?,
>
> I appreciate ur help,
>
> thx
>
> Plactoon

Can't be done: /var/opt/oracle does not exist
Why the need?!?
--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
Frank van Bortel schrieb:
> Plactoon schreef:
>
> Can't be done: /var/opt/oracle does not exist

Wrong shell ?

$ echo $OS
Windows_NT

Maxim@wks04 ~
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 wks04 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin

Maxim@wks04 ~
$ mkdir -p /var/opt/oracle

Maxim@wks04 ~
$

(sorry, couldn't resist ;-))

Best regards

Maxim
0
mdemenko (448)
8/2/2006 6:37:40 PM
Plactoon wrote:
> The Oracle version is 9i, and this is something i need to do once.
> This is going to be a test bd
>
> thx
>
> Plantoon

Listen to Sybrand.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"I always hesitate a little before leaving - 'Wow, what a great

0
joel-garry (4553)
8/2/2006 7:55:33 PM
Maxim Demenko schreef:
> Frank van Bortel schrieb:
>> Plactoon schreef:
>>
>> Can't be done: /var/opt/oracle does not exist
>
> Wrong shell ?
>
> $ echo $OS
> Windows_NT
>
> Maxim@wks04 ~
> $ uname -a

You cheat... :D

> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 wks04 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin
>
> Maxim@wks04 ~
> $ mkdir -p /var/opt/oracle

Well, did it actually create it? For all the OP knows, -p means
"hide any errors" 8|
--

Frank van Bortel schrieb:
> Maxim Demenko schreef:
>> Frank van Bortel schrieb:
>
> You cheat... :D
everybody who has to work on windows has to ...

>> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 wks04 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin
>>
>> Maxim@wks04 ~
>> $ mkdir -p /var/opt/oracle
>>

> Well, did it actually create it? For all the OP knows, -p means
> "hide any errors" 8|

<cite>
Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
</cite>

The last straw for me was discovery that "dir" writes to stderr and
"copy" doesn't ;-)

Best regards

Maxim
0