I am trying to write or understand the conj process for export the data
from oracle 8i to oracle 10g database. I have constraint that the
previous loaded data into oracle10g should not be deleted or replace by
newly imported database.

Regards
Nikhil

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Using Oracle Developer with Oracle 8.1.7 database
Hi. I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current versions or Oracle Developer Suite? Thank you, El DoDo march...@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo 9i client is backward compatable to 8i. However, 10g is only backwards compatable to certain 8i patchset. I can connect from 10g client to 8.1.7.4.1 but not to 8.1.7.0. Not sure about the in between patchsets as I don't have them. Regards /Rauf marchesa@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo Yes. Make sure you have patched the 8i database to make it as current as possible. -- Daniel A. Morgan...

Oracle 10g database control export/import questions
I am using Oracle 10.2.0.3 on HP UNIX 11i. I have created database control using dbca command in a database instance, e.g., db1. If I do full export of db1 and recreate the database using full import, do I need to rerun emca command. I know during full import/export Oracle does not create sys objects. Are db control's objects created from sys or using system? Before import operation you must create new database(using dbca or db creation scripts).exported file can only import in an existing database. On Oct 23, 4:28 am, okys <elmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > Before import operation you must create new database(using dbca or db > creation scripts).exported file can only import in an existing > database. Yes, I will create the database, question is how much database needs tto be created, For example fullimport can create tablespaces etc. question is will it bring all database objects created by database control (emca or not). I know if one has jvm installed in database, import does not bring it, it has to be manually installed. Same way does database control need to be manually installed. On Oct 23, 4:28 am, okys <elmas...@gmail.com> wrote: > Before import operation you must create new database(using dbca or db > creation scripts).exported file can only import in an existing > database. I see the confusion. Sorry, I meant to say I created database control using emca command not dbca. One create database using dbca, scripts generated b...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are > on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out > the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 > live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is > inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update > rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How > to ensure that these select/update does not fail. > > Kishan Thakker How much data? Which version of 9i? Which version of 8? How much downtime is possible? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org ...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

ddata integrity problem of Oracle 8.1.6 Standby Database
Hi , I have an oracle 8.1.6 running on solaris platform. This database have a standby DB of same version and OS platform for query or report generation. At day time the standby DB is in read-only mode and the archived logs are applied at night. Last week, this production DB have a maintenance and added 4 datafiles to different tablespaces and this physical changes have been re-structed at the standby DB also. The standby DB have been successfully recovered through the archived logs and I can turn back it to read only mode the next for users to query. However, this week some users complained that their query report return "no rows selected" for selecting the column A ( which is a unix timestamp) on a table named SERVICE . Then I checked it with simple query like below: select columnB from SERVICE where columnA = 10283848; Table : SERVICE columnA NUMBER(38) columnB NUMBER(38) columnC VARCHAR2(255) columnD NUMBER(38) columnE NUMBER(38) columnF NUMBER(38) columnG NUMBER(38) It returned " no rows selected" ONLY if the timestamp number ( columnA ) I choosed was after the day of prod DB maintenance. And I found that not only columnA , but also all...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each section in the tutorial covers topics such as concepts, design, required software, setup and application usage. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/74/2/opt-dev/?12788#12788 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2004 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Export oracle 10G database errors
I have an oracle database version 10G running on solaris 5.8 and when I export the database I get a bunch of error messages which I dont know how to get ride of ??? .. exporting private type synonyms .. exporting object type definitions .. exporting system procedural objects and actions EXP-00008: ORACLE error 6550 encountered ORA-06550: line 1, column 13: PLS-00201: identifier 'EXFSYS.DBMS_EXPFIL_DEPASEXP' must be declared ORA-06550: line 1, column 7: PL/SQL: Statement ignored EXP-00083: The previous problem occurred when calling EXFSYS.DBMS_EXPFIL_DEPASEX P.system_info_exp EXP-00008: ORACLE error 6550 encountered ORA-06550: line 1, column 13: PLS-00201: identifier 'EXFSYS.DBMS_EXPFIL_DEPASEXP' must be declared ORA-06550: line 1, column 7: PL/SQL: Statement ignored EXP-00083: The previous problem occurred when calling EXFSYS.DBMS_EXPFIL_DEPASEX P.system_info_exp .. exporting pre-schema procedural objects and actions EXP-00008: ORACLE error 6550 encountered ORA-06550: line 1, column 13: PLS-00201: identifier 'EXFSYS.DBMS_EXPFIL_DEPASEXP' must be declared ORA-06550: line 1, column 7: PL/SQL: Statement ignored "Maria" <evoradba@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:351fd9d6.0411070853.7242b32d@posting.google.com... > I have an oracle database version 10G running on solaris 5.8 and when > I export the database I get a bunch of error messages which I dont > know how to get ride of ??? > > . exporting private type synonyms > ....

which oracle client for aix 5.3 to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5/Win database ?
Hello, i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? Thank you, Bud On Jan 11, 2:24 pm, "Bud" <tulsa...@gmx.de> wrote: > Hello, > > i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. > > which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? > > Thank you, > > Bud I don't think there is one. 8.0.5 was desupported in the previous milennium and has never been available for 5.3, which didn't exist at that time. 9i doesn't connect to anything lower than 8i. Time to upgrade the database or drag it to the recyclebin. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

How to import an Oracle 9 export into Oracle 8?
Hi, Is it possible to import an Oracle9 dump into Oracle8. If yes how? news.xs4all.nl wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import an Oracle9 dump into Oracle8. If yes how? > No. The general rule is: When doing exp/imp across different versions you always have to use the lower version of exp to do the export, and then you use the imp of the database version to import in. HTH Holger ...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Connecting to Oracle 8.0.4 Database using 8.1.7 client
I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as clean as possible. Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. TIA Chris Kernaghan aka BoobBoo On 7 Jan 2003 04:41:39 -0800, chris_kernaghan@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote: >I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as >clean as possible. > >Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with >an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. > >TIA > >Chris Kernaghan > >aka > >BoobBoo It is not guaranteed to work, as you are connecting from a higher version client and 8.0.4 has been desupported in the previous century Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address From what others have said, I must be missing something... You can certainly do it, provided you connect with SQL*Net and have the LISTENER.ORA defined so that it actually starts the 804 server for your connection (it'll be the default if you're using an 804 listener). That sure works here on VMS, and that kind of things are usually platform independant. If you connect bequeath, then yes, you may have some problems, but it may work well up to a certain point. Corrections and additions welcome -- Syltrem http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site - en fran�ais) To reply to myself directly, rem...

Is Oracle 8.1.7 database obselete?
Hi, Is Oracle 8.1.7 obselete? There are companies usiung oracle 8.1.7 as a database.What should they do regarding that. Are they continue using 8.1.7 or theu upgrade to newer version. Lee On 15 Oct 2005 22:50:23 -0700, "Lee" <pklalee@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is Oracle 8.1.7 obselete? >There are companies usiung oracle 8.1.7 as a database.What should they >do regarding that. Are they continue using 8.1.7 or theu upgrade to >newer version. > >Lee Since Oracle 8i there have been 2 new major releases: Oracle 9i and Oracle 10G. The terminal release of Oracle 9i is Oracle 9.2. Oracle 8i has been desupported on December 31, 2004. If they have no compelling reasons not to upgrade (ie their 3rd party vendor still doesn't support Oracle 9i, more than 2 years after it's release, or Oracle 10g), they should upgrade. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:50:23 -0700, Lee interested us by writing: > Hi, > > Is Oracle 8.1.7 obselete? Yes. > There are companies usiung oracle 8.1.7 as a database.What should they > do regarding that. Are they continue using 8.1.7 or theu upgrade to > newer version. Depends. If they want to have support from Oracle, they upgrade as soon as possible. If they don't care about support, they may stay with the old version. Then they ask their questions here and get told they should upgrade. Then they ge...

Connecting to Oracle 8.0.4 Database using 8.1.7 client software
I am installing an SAP application server, and would like it to be as clean as possible. Is it possible to use Oracle 8.1.7 client software to communicate with an 8.0.4 database on the SAP Central and Database instance. TIA Chris Kernaghan ...

Oracle Database 10g. When ?
Hi I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g Thanks Javier Villegas wrote: >Hi > >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g > >Thanks > > > If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it is released. And given that no software company is going to stick its neck out and commit to a specific date in advance ... you'll just have to learn patience. About all I can tell you is that from my experience it blows 9i away and when compared with its competition from other vensors is amazing. Especially if you don' treat a database as just a hyped up version of an Excel spreadsheet. The only thing Oracle needs to do to make 10g a huge success is change its pricing model and stop treating the database as though it consists of nothing but columns and rows. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1064985017.992531@yasure>... > Javier Villegas wrote: > > >Hi > > > >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g > > > >Thanks > > > > > > > If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it > is released. > > And given th...

Web resources about - How to write shell script to export oracle 8.1.6 database to import oracle 10g database - comp.databases.oracle.server