Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle

Hi,

Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle?
Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no
stored procedures?

thanks,

Ellie

Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in
SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different.

Regards Kevin

"E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle?
> Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no
> stored procedures?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ellie

The stored procedures probably won't be needed so that's ok. I think the
difference may be because mssql server uses "transact sql" which is their
version of sql statements. Did we really expect MS to play nicely!

Can the database be attached/imported or would I have to create a delimited
text file?

Thanks again.

"Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures
in
> SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite
different.

> Regards Kevin
>
> "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle?
> > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and
no
> > stored procedures?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Ellie

Other may have another take on this - but

Some of the answer will be dependance on database types used and the data
volumes we are talking about. If fairly standard types are used and the
database is no 'too' large I wuold create import scripts from the the source
database.

i.e. use transact sql to create output files which themselves are import
scropts in standard ansi or Oracle sql.

Like all things I wuold test each one first. both for functionality and
timings

> The stored procedures probably won't be needed so that's ok. I think the
> difference may be because mssql server uses "transact sql" which is their
> version of sql statements. Did we really expect MS to play nicely!
>
> Can the database be attached/imported or would I have to create a
delimited
> text file?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures
> in
> > SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite
> different.
> >
> > Regards Kevin
> >
> > "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into
Oracle?
> > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables
and
> no
> > > stored procedures?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > Ellie

Have a look at using SQL Server's Data Transformation Services to pull
the data from SQL Server and push it into Oracle. This way, you can
bypass the text file method. As has been said, stored procedures are an
entirely different manner and most likely will have to be recoded if at
all possible.

HTH,
Brian

E Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle?
> Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no
> stored procedures?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ellie

Brian Peasland
dba@remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"
0
dba1 (382)
2/24/2004 6:28:05 PM
In message <2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net>, E Sullivan
<ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> writes
>Hi,
>
>Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle?
>Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no
>stored procedures?
>
>thanks,
>
>Ellie

You can't import directly. The best approach is probably to use Oracle's
Migration Workbench. It will convert all the data types, create the
tables in oracle and copy the data from  sql server to oracle.

You won't be able to transfer or use the stored procedures as oracle and
sqlserver use completely different languages.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

SqlSpec

tcl database connection for Oracle MySQL PostgreSQL Sybase "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine" DB2 Interbase/Firebird SQLite Microsoft Access
Hello everyone, There are many people that are looking for/missing the support for their database within TCL. Somehow this was overlooked: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/index.html It has native TCL API and supports most popular databases. One problem: It doesn't have production ready support on Windows, but for the lucky people who use Linux/Unix, it seems to be an excellent solution, while TDBC is being developed. One small correction, the TCL part of the db connection will work just fine on Windows connecting to sqlrelay running on Linux/Unix (which, in turn, can connect to the database running on Windows :) ). What doesn't have production ready support (according to developers) is sqlrelay running on Windows. ...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

Sqlserver 2000 database on Oracle 9 server
Hi! how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. or how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. Thanks Hubert Mayr wrote: > Hi! > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > or > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > Thanks > Oracle Transparent Gateway. Heterogeneous services. ASCII files. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1073922683.284194@yasure>... > Hubert Mayr wrote: > > > Hi! > > > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > > or > > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > > > Thanks > > > > Oracle Transparent Gateway. > Heterogeneous services. > ASCII files. I have read some articles about this, but I am a little confused about the difference between "Oracle Transparent Gateway" and "Heterogeneous services". I want to create a database link so that the application (logging on to Oracle) will not know whether the table is actually stored in Oracle or in SQL Server. Do I need Oracle Transparent Gateway to make this possible or ...

Restore of Case Insensitive Database to a Case Sensitive Database
Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS Collation database. After creating a blank CS database a full restore (Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to CI. I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the Collation. Any suggestions? Hi. Check out this article: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/vg_database_comparison_sp.asp If appears that if you can put the CI db on another box and create a linked server to it you should be able to bring over every...

Oracle databases on a server

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

importing blobs and other monstrosities from oracle 10g to sql server 2000
Hi. I was trying yesterday to import an oracle schema via DTS into my ms sql server 2000 system, but it seemed to choke a bit on what I believe are blob fields. Can anyone recommend a way or a pointer to a way accomplish this, or is oracle 10g and sql server 2000 to separate in how advanced they are? Thanks Jeff Jeff Kish ...

Oracle 8i and 9i Database concurrently on Windows 2000 Server
I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine , but I am getting getting various errors.. I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a database , I get "Tns protocol error". Cannot complete Net8 configuration and Database configuration while installing 8i Database server. Please help me for same as i tried installing 8i for many times. I have kept different home names for both 8i and 9i. Forms 6i and D2k 4.5 is already installed on the M/c. Is there any sequence for these installations. "Mayura" <mayura.jadhav@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1140675978.019512.31510@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine > , but I am getting getting various errors.. > > I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. > If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a > database , I get "Tns protocol error". Check MetaLink Note 306905.1. Regards, Dimitre Mayura wrote: > I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine > , but I am getting getting various errors.. > > I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. > If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a > database , I get "Tns protocol erro...

US-PA: Philadelphia-Oracle/SQL Server Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is a regional job board serving all industries and occupations in the PA, NJ, DE, NY, MD, and DC areas. We offer a regional job board, online learning, and regional job fair events for jobseekers who live in our areas of focus. To Learn More: Job Board: http://www.JobCircle.com?source=ng eLearning: http://www.JobCircle.com/courseware?source=ng Job Fairs: http://JobCircleJobFairs.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle/S...

from sql server to oracle to ANOTHER oracle
I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. I try to write something like SELECT * FROM LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 but it does not work questions 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? 2) if so, how ? thank you! On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. > > I try to write something like > > =A0SELECT * FROM > =A0 LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 > > but it does not work > > questions > 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? > 2) if so, how ? > > thank you! use a synonym that points to the second linked table? On Nov 10, 9:27=A0pm, onedbguru <onedbg...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > > oracle db. I&#...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

SN#22938 Oracle Database 11g vs. Microsoft SQL Server 2008
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 145 Issue 5 2010-04-01 Article 22938 from section "Oracle" An Edison Group Comparative Management Costs Study An Edison Group report offers a comparative management costs study revealing how the Oracle Database widens the manageability lead over Microsoft SQL Server 2008. The study shows how Oracle Database 11g can save 43% in time and 41% in database management costs over Microsoft SQL Server 2008. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=22938 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users&#...

Web resources about - Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle - comp.databases.oracle.server

Viral Channels: Hi5 Adds Contact Importing to App Invite Flow
... social networking platform I’ve seen, hi5 announced tonight that it is adding the ability for users to invite non-hi5 friends to apps by importing ...

YouTube - iPad importing photos from floppy disk.
You are using an outdated browser, which YouTube no longer supports. Since some features on YouTube may not work, you are viewing a lightweight ...

Tony Abbott considers importing US-style school program with private industry involvement
Tony Abbott is considering an unprecedented Americanisation of the school education system with radical changes that could see HECS-style fees ...

Importing fuel will prove better for the consumer
Importing fuel will prove better for the consumer

Qantas airline steward faces jail for importing drugs
A former Qantas airline steward who worked business class flights to America for several months with a ''raging'' ice habit faces jail for importing ...

Importing more fads from failed systems
Fast-tracking talented professionals into the classroom is yet another imported fad from England and the US - both of which are failed education ...

Urine test fail for man facing drug importing sentence
A Canberra man who pleaded guilty to importing a commercial quantity of drugs to his front door has admitted&nbsp;taking a banned drug&nbsp;weeks ...

Hong Kong man charged with importing 150kg of crystal methamphetamine into Sydney
A Hong Kong national is charged with importing 150 kilograms of ice following a joint-agency investigation in Sydney.

Man, 91, charged with importing cocaine hidden in soap boxes into Australia
A 91-year-old Sydney man has been charged with importing cocaine hidden in soap into Australia, prompting police to warn travellers to beware ...

Google Drive adds support for importing OpenOffice (ODF) file formats
Google announced today that it’s now officially supporting ODF files in Google Drive allowing users to import all three major ODF file formats. ...