INSERT millions_of_rows, how to COMMIT every 10,000 rows ?

Hi All,

I want to insert millions of rows from old table into new table.
(different in structure, so that I have manipulate in the query)

INSERT INTO [new table] SELECT ... FROM [old table]

How can I do COMMIT for every 10,000 rows ?

Thank you for your help,
Krist

0
xtanto (76)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:43:53 -0800, xtanto wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to insert millions of rows from old table into new table.
> (different in structure, so that I have manipulate in the query)
>
> INSERT INTO [new table] SELECT ... FROM [old table]

Just thinking out loud ... You might also want to look at the 'CREATE
TABLE AS SELECT ..." capability of Oracle.

> How can I do COMMIT for every 10,000 rows ?

One common reason for this request is because of a ROLLBACK SEGMENT (or
UNDO) problem.  If true for you, you are strongly encouraged to resize
your ROLLBACK SEGMENTS instead of using a COMMIT. The interim COMMIT
ultimately ends up requiring a lot more resources, can have secondary
problems (such as different ROLLBACK SEGMENT issues), and is generally a
*lot* slower.

If you really want to do the commit, a solution is to create a PL/SQL
procedure with a loop.

/Hans
-1
News.Hans (974)
3/27/2005 2:14:30 PM
xtanto@hotmail.com wrote:

> How can I do COMMIT for every 10,000 rows ?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Krist

Why would you want to? In a well designed database there should
be no need to even ask the question.

So rather than asking for a kludge ... have the DBA fix the
root cause of the ORA-01555's.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
> I want to insert millions of rows from old table into new table.
> (different in structure, so that I have manipulate in the query)
>
> INSERT INTO [new table] SELECT ... FROM [old table]
>
> How can I do COMMIT for every 10,000 rows ?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Krist

Hi Krist

You could use a PL/SQL block like the following -

declare
  cursor oldtab_csr is select * from oldtab;
  rec_count number := 1;
begin
  for oldtab_rec in oldtab_csr loop
    -----
    begin
      insert into newtab values (oldtab_rec.col1,oldtab_rec.col2,...);
    exception
    when others then
      dbms_output.put_line('Unable to insert record '||oldtab_rec.pkcol||' -
error encountered: '||sqlerrm);
    end;
    -----
    rec_count := rec_count + 1;
    if mod(rec_count,10000) = 0 then
      commit;
    end if;
  end loop;
end;

If you are able to add a column to your source table, you could have a flag
to indicate that the
record was successfully transferred, which you set with an update statement
immediately after
the insert - then in your source cursor exclude records that have already
been transferred,
so that you are able to restart the script at any point.

If you are merging the data where many records already exist in the
destination table, change the insert statement above as follows:

-----
  update newtab
     set col1 = oldtab_rec.col1
       , col2 = oldtab_rec.col2
   where newtab.pkcol = oldtab_rec.pk_col;

  if sql%rowcount = 0 then
    insert into newtab values (oldtab_rec.col1,oldtab_rec.col2,...);
  end if;
-----

Alternatively if you don't have many records in newtab, then it may be more
performant to strucure it with the insert first as follows:

-----
  insert into newtab
  select oldtab_rec.col1,oldtab_rec.col2,...
    from dual
   where not exists
         (select NULL
            from newtab
           where newtab.pkcol = oldtab_rec.pk_col);

  if sql%rowcount = 0 then
    update newtab
       set col1 = oldtab_rec.col1
         , col2=oldtab_rec.col2
     where newtab.pkcol = oldtab_rec.pk_col;
  end if;
-----

Good luck!

Mike Cretan, Senior Oracle Developer

If you are doing from sql plus, try using this command at the sql
prompt:
set autocommit <number>
In your case the <number> could be 10000.
Regards
RBS
HansF wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 05:43:53 -0800, xtanto wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I want to insert millions of rows from old table into new table.
> > (different in structure, so that I have manipulate in the query)
> >
> > INSERT INTO [new table] SELECT ... FROM [old table]
>
> Just thinking out loud ... You might also want to look at the 'CREATE
> TABLE AS SELECT ..." capability of Oracle.
>

> > How can I do COMMIT for every 10,000 rows ?
>
> One common reason for this request is because of a ROLLBACK SEGMENT
(or
> UNDO) problem.  If true for you, you are strongly encouraged to
resize
> your ROLLBACK SEGMENTS instead of using a COMMIT. The interim COMMIT
> ultimately ends up requiring a lot more resources, can have secondary
> problems (such as different ROLLBACK SEGMENT issues), and is
generally a
> *lot* slower.
>
> If you really want to do the commit, a solution is to create a PL/SQL
> procedure with a loop.
>
> /Hans

0
rbs100 (5)
3/28/2005 4:12:46 AM
This has poor performance since PL/SQL - SQL context switching.
If the destination table is empty then drop it and recreate using
CREATE TABLE [new table] AS SELECT ...
If destination table isn't empty or dropping table would cause unwanted
side effects (e.g. stored procedure invalidation), try this:

INSERT /*+ APPEND */ INTO [new table] SELECT ... FROM [old table]

It avoids using rollback segment. After this statement completed you
have to submit COMMIT before any DML into [new table].

Regards,
Bert

Comments embedded.

Bertalan.noospaam.Gombos@noospaam.g-m-a-i-l.com wrote:
> This has poor performance since PL/SQL - SQL context switching.
> If the destination table is empty then drop it and recreate using
> CREATE TABLE [new table] AS SELECT ...
> If destination table isn't empty or dropping table would cause
unwanted
> side effects (e.g. stored procedure invalidation), try this:
>
> INSERT /*+ APPEND */ INTO [new table] SELECT ... FROM [old table]
>
> It avoids using rollback segment.

Not true, at least for 9.2.0.6.  As an example, Session #1:

SQL>  insert into rbs_test
  2>  select /*+ append */ *
  3>  from all_objects;

3311 rows created.

Session #2, monitoring the insert from Session #1:

SQL>  select r.name rr,
  2>         nvl(s.username, 'no transaction') us,
  3>         s.osuser  os,
  4>         s.terminal te
  5>  from v$lock l, v$session s, v$rollname r
  6>  where l.sid = s.sid(+)
  7>  and trunc(l.id1/65536) = r.usn
  8>  and l.type = 'TX'
  9>  and l.lmode = 6
 10>  order by r.name;

RB Segment         Username        OS User    Terminal
------------------ --------------- ---------- ----------
_SYSSMU8$          SCOTT           davidf     DFMQ5T21

Rollback segments ARE being used with the /*+ append */ hint.  If I
perform another insert, with the same statement, I find a new segment
is used:

SQL> /

RB Segment         Username        OS User    Terminal
------------------ --------------- ---------- ----------
_SYSSMU9$          SCOTT           davidf     DFMQ5T21

I'm wondering where you found this 'information', as it does not appear
to be at all valid.

> After this statement completed you
> have to submit COMMIT before any DML into [new table].
>
> Regards,
> Bert

David Fitzjarrell

0
fitzjarrell (2006)
3/28/2005 9:30:42 PM
David,

1. You are using the wrong syntax.
     Note that the post you are referring to has append hint just after
insert.
     You however are using it after select.
      its insert /*+ append */ into newtable select * from old table;

      not

       insert into newtable select /*+ append */ from oldtable;

2. The rollback used is *minimal/near zero* .. its not zero as being
claimed.

Anurag

0
avoracle (241)
3/28/2005 10:03:04 PM
Performance issues aside (and I agree that a single SQL statement with or
without hints would be best in this regard), it appears that this users'
principal concern is porting data from one database to another.

The PL/SQL solution offers more flexibility with exception handling & job
restarting than a single SQL statement, and by the time they have worked
through all the rollback too small/snapshot too old issues, they'd have been
better off with the slower & more predictable outcomes that PL/SQL provides.

Cheers,

Mike Cretan

set autocommit <n>

in sqlplus will issue a commit after n insert, delete, update or pl/sql
block executions.

You seem to be indicating that oracle will commit after n rows
inserted.
Not so!

Anurag

1
avoracle (241)
3/28/2005 10:41:45 PM
Well,
One option could be you can generate an insert script from the old
table for every row and set the autocommit to 10000.
Another easier option could be, if you are using the toad, you generate
the insert statement for the old table  and change the name of the name
with find and replace option.  And toad itself creates commit statement
for number of records which you specify while generating the script.
Else you have write only a PL/SQL .
Hope this helps...
Regards
RBs
xtanto@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to insert millions of rows from old table into new table.
> (different in structure, so that I have manipulate in the query)
>
> INSERT INTO [new table] SELECT ... FROM [old table]
>
> How can I do COMMIT for every 10,000 rows ?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Krist

0
rbs100 (5)

inserting data from resultset into oracle database
Hi I am trying to insert the values of a resultset into an oracle database. The problem is that they seem to be inserting in random groups, as oppose to the way they are in the resultset. Basically I have a program getting a certain range of data from a particular table in a SQL server database, copying that data into a ResultSet, and then inserting that data from resultset into an oracle database. The range of data selected from the SQL database, is based on timestamps. So I basically select a range of data between 2 timestamps. This all works fine if i do it for small difference in timestamps, say a 3 or 4 hours. The problem is when I try do this for a longer period, maybe 10hours+. The data appears in the correct order in the ResultSet. But in the oracle DB, they appear in groups of timestamps. The oracle DB is always empty before I insert anything into it. I cannot figure out whey they do not insert into oracle in same order as in resultset. Please see below a sample of my code. In case anyone needs to know the amount of data, the table in the SQL DB has 147 columns(all of which I am selecting), and for 10hours of data, there are about 60 rows. Any help is greatly appreciated. code sample: //setup the drivers DriverManager.registerDriver(new sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver ()); DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver()); //connect to the MySQL database Connection c...

Installing oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server
Hi All, Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server? Thanks Ed Ed <arub11@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > Most definitely in seperate directory trees On Jul 26, 11:33=A0am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 > @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > > > Hi All, > &g...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to s...

Inserting rows to a database
Hello everyone, I'm inserting rows to an Accessfile using Matlab and the Databasetoolbox. The command I'm using is: insert(conn,'name_of_table',col,exdata); I'm updating my variable exdata constantly and calling insert again I'd like to insert the new values always in the last row (creating a table with all my data). Unfortunatly this doesn't work all the time. Sometimes the row I'm adding is added in the middle of the table and not at the end. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks a lot Veronika "Veronika" <vtrottmann@etsii.upm.es&g...

Oracle 10g 10.0.2 client, to connect oracle 8 server
Dear Group members, I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and 8i it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error <b> "ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer supported." </b> Can i install, 2 or more version of oracle clients in same system, becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will infect my software .. process.. if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, before installation .. What is the best oracle client software can suitable for most of the server's On Jul 27, 11:58=A0pm, ranganadh <ranganadhkod...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear Group members, > > =A0I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and > 8i > > it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. > when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error > > <b> =A0"ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer > supported." </b> > > Can i install, 2 or more =A0version of oracle clients in same system, > becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some > SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will > infect my software .. process.. > > if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, ...

Insert rows from other server
Hi All I want to insert rows from a table in a server into another table in another server using INSERT SELECT command. For example : INSERT INTO Server1.database1.dbo.Tab1 SELECT * FROM Server2.database2.dbo.Tab1 WHERE Col1 = 1 Can the command like this work ? If not, could you give me the solution ? Please help me Thanks in advance John Smile *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! You have the correct syntax. Assuming you have created a linked server on the server where you run the code a...

SqlSpec

can I install Oracle 10.1g on MAC OS 10.5.1 without the MAC server software?
I guess the subject up top more or less says it all. If anyone HAS installed Oracle 10.1g on MAC OS 10.5.1 NOT MAC OS 10.5.1 server I'd really appreciate hearing from you. I've downloaded the the Oracle 10.1g client and database on my non- server MAC OS 10.5.1 and got as far as succesfully doing the cpio command (see directions). However the instructions for doing the install for the client; or for the database; seem \ to require having the server installed - they seem to assume you're set up on a LAN - but I'm not a systems- or dba-person, I'm an Oracle PL/SQL, and SQL (...

10.2 Server to 10.4 Server upgrade
I want to upgrade my OSX Server from 10.2 to 10.4 but I want to do the install on a blank hard disk, reconfigure everything and get back to normal. My only concern is the NetInfo database -- how can I import this from Jaguar to Tiger Server? I've used google but haven't really come up with anything so, at the very least, all I need is a URL. If I copy e.g. /var/backups/local.nidump to the new Tiger Server and place it in, e.g., /tmp, can I get Tiger Server to import it via: /usr/bin/niload -d -r / . < /tmp/local.nidump Needless to say, I haven't used this command but it lo...

Copy Oracle 10.2.0.4 Database from Sun Sparc 5.9 to Sun Sparc 5.10?
Hi, We would like to copy a cold backup of an Oracle 10.2.0.4 database running on Sun Sparc 5.9 to a Sun Sparc 5.10 server. We intend to use a standard copy procedure (Copy datafiles, use "Create controlfile..." etc..). Will this work? Any links to Oracle documentation on this will be appreciated. Thanks, QZ ...

How to repeat a program 10,000 times and How to append the 10,000
Hello, SAS-L I have a SAS program whose final outcome is a dataset with one variable and one observation. I then want repeat the program 10,000 times and I want to combine the 10,000 datasets into one dataset with one variable and 10,000 observations. I know the most inefficient way to do it is to run a macro 10,000 times and then use data step with set statement. Would someone write an efficient program for me to do it? Thanks a lot for your help ! Haiyan I swear, this seems like a homework assignment... And if you're running this program 10,000 times, I see no more real efficient ...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Joining every row from 1 table to every row from another
Hello! Answer is propably simple, but I'm struggling and can't solve this problem. I have two tables: Table GARMENT STYLE_NO DESCRIPTION LABOUR_COST NOTIONS 1 Trousers 18 xxx 2 Long Skirt 15 Zip/ 1 cm off 3 Shorts 10 Zip/ Clip Table MATERIAL MATERIAL_NO FABRIC COLOUR PATTERN COST 1 Silk Black Plain 7 2 Silk Red Abstract 10 3 Cotton Yellow Stripe 3 The thing is to estimate costs of making any garment with any materials. I need to join all garments to all materials, like STYLE_NO DESCRIPTION (....) METERIAL_NO 1 XXX 1 1 2 1 3 2 1 2 2 2 3 3 1 3 2 3 3 and so on.. Could anyone please help me with this by giving some examples of Oracle or MySQL query? Many thanks in advance! Greetings Kamil jak zawsze pozdrawiaj�cy radnor -- O (=> useer(maupa)go2.pl 05011474(maupa)napier.ac.uk )/\_,_[__] GG: 5004286 ICQ: 45007845 T>_ [ ] Wariat: cz�owiek cierpi�cy na du�� niezale�no�� intelektualn�. radnor wrote: > The thing is to estimate costs of making any garment with any > materials. I need to join all garments to all materials, ! You're trying to produce what's called a Cartesian product. This can be done in SQL simply by omitting any join condition. The default join (with no condition limiting it) joins every row in one table to every row in the other table: SELECT GARMENT.*,...

Insert Blob in Oracle database
Hi there, I have been struggling with this for some hours now. I am not 100% sure, but it appears that Oracle databases/jdbc drivers have a bug with relation to Blobs - or that Blobs have a serious size limitation in an Oracle database. I have seen hints to this while searching the www, but I can't be sure. I am just certain I am doing as prescribed by PreparedStatement... For example if a set a binary stream like this (as I think one is supposed to do): stmt.setBinaryStream( 1, is, length ); then it only works if the length is quite small - if it's "big" then it won't work. Is there a bug in Oracle, or am I missing some vital point? (Maybe blobs can only be up to 4k or so - I don't know). Thanks for any pointers, Peter "Peter" <peter@ciber> wrote in message news:4047b4b0$1@news.wineasy.se... > Hi there, > > I have been struggling with this for some hours now. I am not 100% sure, but > it appears that Oracle databases/jdbc drivers have a bug with relation to > Blobs - or that Blobs have a serious size limitation in an Oracle database. > > I have seen hints to this while searching the www, but I can't be sure. I am > just certain I am doing as prescribed by PreparedStatement... > For example if a set a binary stream like this (as I think one is supposed > to do): > > stmt.setBinaryStream( 1, is, length ); > > then it only works if the length is quite small - if it's "big&qu...

Populating 40,000 rows from Database.
Hi Folks, I have a stateless session bean that has to take 40,000 rows with 90 columns from the database and has to get populted to a excel spread sheet. I'm getting into weblogic server idle time out due to processing of heavy volume of records though the query returns the resultset data fast. It take approximately 2 minutes to build a collection object and looks like serialization took hell lot of time on this. Please suggest me a better solution on how to bring the data 40,000 * 90 in a more efficient way to the client thru Weblogic. Thanks in advance for your help. On Mon, 22 M...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesyst...

How to Insert date in sql server database
How to insert date to the sql server database. I am getting input from the HTML form and store it to database using ASP. how to store date field, what datatype needed and what conversion needed. Thanx & Regards, SSG SSG (ssg14j@gmail.com) writes: > How to insert date to the sql server database. > > I am getting input from the HTML form and store it to database using > ASP. > > how to store date field, what datatype needed and what conversion > needed. The data type to use datetime or smalldatetime. These always include the time portion, but set it to midnight f...

How to insert an Array to an Oracle Database with ADODB?
Hello, in Oracle i have a table with a column declared as an array-type. Now i want to insert an array from visual basic 6.0 in the oracle database. I tried it with an ADODB-Connection an parameters, but without success. Here is my code: /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Dim ConTest As ADODB.Connection Dim cmd As New ADODB.Command Dim paramPointsArray As New ADODB.Parameter Set ConTest = New ADODB.Connection With ConTest ..ConnectionString = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Password=password;User ID=user;Data Source=datsource;Persist ...

inserting a dicom file into oracle database
I am trying to read a Dicom file and insert this data into oracle database, the database has a table with a column type - blob I am looking for an example to achieve this using fastinsert ...

Web resources about - INSERT millions_of_rows, how to COMMIT every 10,000 rows ? - comp.databases.oracle.server