INSERTS - Reducing Buffer Gets/Sequential Read Waits

Performance Gurus,

Has anyone a proven technique for reducing "sequential file waits" during
INSERT statements?  Some very large tables, with only one or two indexes are
incurring this wait event (from a SQL trace) and have high buffer gets (from
Statspack).  Is it safe to assume that this appears to be primarily due to
the index probes?  We really can't drop or disable the indexes in this OLTP
environment.  We are planning to partition several of these large tables
with over 1000 range partitions and use local indexes.  Also, would changing
the block size of either the table and/or index tablespace from 8k to 16k
(or 32k) help?  We can't change the code (like adding hints), as we are
using a 3rd party application to perform the data loads.

Steve

0
sieb (1)

c5sieb schrieb:
> Performance Gurus,
>

> Has anyone a proven technique for reducing "sequential file waits" during
> INSERT statements?  Some very large tables, with only one or two indexes are
> incurring this wait event (from a SQL trace) and have high buffer gets (from
> Statspack).  Is it safe to assume that this appears to be primarily due to
> the index probes?  We really can't drop or disable the indexes in this OLTP
> environment.  We are planning to partition several of these large tables
> with over 1000 range partitions and use local indexes.  Also, would changing
> the block size of either the table and/or index tablespace from 8k to 16k
> (or 32k) help?  We can't change the code (like adding hints), as we are
> using a 3rd party application to perform the data loads.
>

> Steve

The high amount of "db file sequential read" itself doesn't mean you
have bad performance. As long as your IO subsystem can serve sequential
reads timely - you have not necessarily performance issues. Higher
amount of buffer gets ( compared to the insert into nonindexed table )
is due to the the need to read (additionally to table blocks) root
block, branch blocks and leaf blocks of index. One of wideadopted
methods to get around the performance issues during data load is to use
direct load (aka insert --+ append) , make indexes unusable before the
load and rebuild them after load with high degree of parallelism.
In an OLTP system overall performance can get much worser by introducing
  partitioning ( especially in conjunction with local indexes especially
with relativ high number of partitions ~ 1000) because your select
statements would require much more buffer gets and as consequence much
more sequential reads. This thema is good discussed in the Tom Kyte's
"Effective Oracle by Design" - i have observed such behaviour many times
also.

Best regards

Maxim
0
mdemenko (448)

How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database
Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server "B" with an Access database. I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on "B". How can i do this? Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? thanks On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <m0...@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > "B" with an Access database. > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > "B". How can i do this? > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > thanks You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables. Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but concurrent access sucks). C. On 30 Apr, 14:28, "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" <..> wrote: > On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <molok> wrote: > > > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > > "B" with an Access database. > > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > > "B". How can i do this? > > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > > thanks > > You can attach odbc tables in Access, ...

Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database
Hello all Oracle&server experts, what you think about the following setup for Oracle database? HP DL585, 16 GB RAM, 2 dual-core AMD processors, 64-bit Red Hat Linux 4, 64-bit Oracle database software. The disk setup for Oracle data consists of six PCI-X RAID cards with BBWC set to 0 percent read, 100 percent write. Each card has six 146 GB disks on RAID 1+0 setup and one hot spare. 128 kB stripe size is used. Each RAID 1+0 set (about 410 GB) is divided into two logical volumes: 40 GB and 370 GB and these volumes are seen as raw devices at the server. I'm planning to put all six 370 GB raw devices together into one diskgroup using ASM and ASMlib and let ASM stripe the database data (tables, indexes) over them (external redundancy). I'm planning to group the 40 GB volumes into two ASM failgroups (3 volumes each) and then let ASM do striping and mirroring over this diskgroup (normal redundancy). This smaller diskgroup would then store SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. With this setup I get good protection for disk failures for all the data and additional protection against RAID card failures for SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. There is a separate FC connected disk system that will be used for archived redo logs and backups. And separate mirrored disk pairs for OS and Oracle binaries. Does this setup sound feasible? Could I make a better use of the hardware by changing something? The system will be used...

How to get statistics of Sequential Read and Random Read on Unix box #4
Hi, I am looking for a way to get statistics of Sequential Read and Random Read on Unix box?. Greatly appreciated If anyone gives some input on how to get those statistics using c or c++. Thanks, Naidu ...

How to get statistics of Sequential Read and Random Read on Unix box #3
Hi, I am looking for a way to get statistics of Sequential Read and Random Read on Unix box?. Greatly appreciated If anyone gives some input on how to get those statistics using c or c++. Thanks, Naidu ...

Oracle databases on a server

SqlSpec

[News] Servers Running GNU/Linux Could Get Boost from Oracle, OS X Server Disappoints

Insert Blob in Oracle database
Hi there, I have been struggling with this for some hours now. I am not 100% sure, but it appears that Oracle databases/jdbc drivers have a bug with relation to Blobs - or that Blobs have a serious size limitation in an Oracle database. I have seen hints to this while searching the www, but I can't be sure. I am just certain I am doing as prescribed by PreparedStatement... For example if a set a binary stream like this (as I think one is supposed to do): stmt.setBinaryStream( 1, is, length ); then it only works if the length is quite small - if it's "big" then it won't work. Is there a bug in Oracle, or am I missing some vital point? (Maybe blobs can only be up to 4k or so - I don't know). Thanks for any pointers, Peter "Peter" <peter@ciber> wrote in message news:4047b4b0$1@news.wineasy.se... > Hi there, > > I have been struggling with this for some hours now. I am not 100% sure, but > it appears that Oracle databases/jdbc drivers have a bug with relation to > Blobs - or that Blobs have a serious size limitation in an Oracle database. > > I have seen hints to this while searching the www, but I can't be sure. I am > just certain I am doing as prescribed by PreparedStatement... > For example if a set a binary stream like this (as I think one is supposed > to do): > > stmt.setBinaryStream( 1, is, length ); > > then it only works if the length is quite small - if it's "big&qu...

Reading data from oracle database
Can anyone help me on understanding how data is read from oracle database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf files from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for reading data from dbf files of oracle database. If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select * from table x' ,what all process happens next. Thanks in Advance On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 00:23:54 -0800, oracle user wrote: > Can anyone help me on understanding how data is read from oracle > database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf files > from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for reading data > from dbf files of oracle database. > If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select > * from table x' ,what all process happens next. Thanks in Advance Many things can happen, depending on the version of database. Short story goes like this: - User connects to the database. User session structures are allocated in SGA. - User submits SQL statement and is given a server process to service his request. Server process does its own reading but writing is delegated to the database writer(s). The allocation process is complex as the allocated server can be shared, pooled or dedicated. - The server process executes the request and returns the result to the user. How is that done also depends on the allocated server. All of this is described in the lit...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

How to Insert date in sql server database
How to insert date to the sql server database. I am getting input from the HTML form and store it to database using ASP. how to store date field, what datatype needed and what conversion needed. Thanx & Regards, SSG SSG (ssg14j@gmail.com) writes: > How to insert date to the sql server database. > > I am getting input from the HTML form and store it to database using > ASP. > > how to store date field, what datatype needed and what conversion > needed. The data type to use datetime or smalldatetime. These always include the time portion, but set it to midnight f...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an exercise in frustration. /Hans ...

Inserts and db file sequential reads
Hi The tkprof report shows that the following insert operation was waited substantially for db file sequential read. from the raw trace file it shows that the blocks it waited for are related to couple of Index segments one is a unique key. The table is partitioned on oprn_dt column and the indexes are all local prefixed indexes. I am not very sure how the insert operation is waiting for index reads. There are no Referential integrity constraints on this table. The procedure is doing a bulk fetch from a Global Temp Table into this target table. INSERT /*+ append */ INTO OPERATION_DTLS VALUES (:B1 ,:B2 ,:B3 ,:B4 ,:B5 ,:B6 ,:B7 ,:B8 ,:B9 ,:B10 ,:B11 ,:B12 ,:B13 ,:B14 , :B15 ,:B16 ,:B17 ,:B18 ,:B19 ,:B20 ,:B21 ,:B22 ,:B23 ,:B24 ,:B25 ,:B26 , :B27 ,:B28 ,:B29 ,:B30 ,:B31 ,:B32 ,:B33 ,:B34 ,:B35 ,:B36 ,:B37 ,:B38 , :B39 ,:B40 ,:B41 ,:B42 ,:B43 ,:B44 ,:B45 ,:B46 ,:B47 ) call count cpu elapsed disk query current rows ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- Parse 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0 Execute 19 39.90 184.88 11833 36926 1102079 92524 Fetch 0 0.00 0.00 0 0 0 0 ------- ------ -------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- total 19 39.90 184.88 11833 36926 1102079 92524 Misses in library cache during parse: 0 Misses in library cache during...

Reading French Characters from an Oracle Database
This problem was mentioned a couple of years ago, but the advice given doesn't appear to work. I'm reading in a text file that was developed via an Oracle database, and the file contains numerous French characters. I can see all of the characters perfectly if I upload the file into Access, Word, Excel, etc., but not SAS. I've tried changing the display font, but none of the ones I have appear to be able to correctly display the file. Anyone have any clue or suggestion? Thanks in advance, Art ...

Cannot get database insert tool to work
I am using LabView 8.5 with a 2003 Access database. I am trying to use the "DB tools insert data" function. I keep getting the following error: Error -2147217900 occurred at Cmd Execute.vi-&gt;DB Tools Insert Data.vi-&gt;DB_SAVE_UTILITY.vi-&gt;Tracking_Screen.vi Possible reason(s):Exception occured in Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement. in Rec Create - Command.vi-&gt;Cmd Execute.vi-&gt;DB Tools Insert Data.vi-&gt;DB_SAVE_UTILITY.vi-&gt;Tracking_Screen.vi The table is as follws &nbsp; this is a duplicate: <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;thread.id=335407&amp;jump=true" target="_blank">http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;thread.id=335407&amp;jump=true</a> ...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

Getting Oracle Server Name in VB
Dear All Please help me that how can i find oracle server name and default database name by visual basic coding. Thanks Rajesh You can always do this, if you have access to the view. SELECT INSTANCE_NAME, HOST_NAME FROM v$instance D. "Rajan" <razesh.india@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1155025098.096030.140800@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Dear All > > Please help me that how can i find oracle server name and default > database name by visual basic coding. > > Thanks > > Rajesh > ...

Inserting the binary data into the oracle database
Hi, I'm a newbie to oracle. I'm trying to insert the binary data using the c interface OCI. The field i am inserting in database table is of type RAW(16). int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { String uuidStr = _T("33958A21AAEF3378890201F695868FF9") ; /* some how we are converting the uuidStr to 16bytes hex value and put into buf as binary */ text *insert_sql=(text *)"insert into table(uuid) values (: 1)"; if(OCIStmtPrepare(stmthp, errhp, insert_sql, strlen((char*)insert_sql), (ub4) OCI_NTV_SYNTAX, (ub4) OCI_DEFAULT)) { printf("Error\n"); } /* binding the position with the buffer containing the binary data */ if (OCIBindByPos(stmthp, &bindnps[0], errhp, 1, (dvoid *)buf, (sb4)buflen, SQLT_BIN, (dvoid *) &indps[0], (ub2 *) 0, (ub2 *) &rcodes[0],0,0, OCI_DEFAULT)) { printf("Error\n"); } if(OCIStmtExecute(svchp, stmthp, errhp, (ub4) 1, (ub4) 0, (CONST OCISnapshot *) NULL, (OCISnapshot *) NULL, OCI_STMT_SCROLLABLE_READONLY )) { my_printerror(errhp);/* text msgbuf[1024]=""; int errcode=0; ...

Web resources about - INSERTS - Reducing Buffer Gets/Sequential Read Waits - comp.databases.oracle.server

Sequential access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer science , sequential access means that a group of elements (e.g. data in a memory array or a disk file or on magnetic tape data storage ...

SeQuential Biofuel (@sqbiofuel) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here SeQuential Biofuel @ sqbiofuel ...

Sequential for iPad on the App Store on iTunes
Get Sequential for iPad on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Sequential Circuits Pro-One Is Always Onstage With Emily Haines Of Metric - YouTube
Dave Smith, developer of MIDI, has put together some fine instruments over the years. Once a person gets their hands on one of said instruments, ...

Sequential Brands Completes MSLO Purchase
Sequential Brands Group has closed its purchase of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (MSLO). Sequential bought MSLO for $353 million in June . ...

Play Mattel’s Popular Sequential Card Game With Skip-Bo For iOS
Skip-Bo , the popular sequential card game from Mattel, has a brand new official game for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. In November last year, ...

Gender benders and sequential hermaphrodites: How sex is determined
Aurich Lawson / Thinkstock It is easy to regard sex as clear-cut, black and white. We regularly have to check the “male” or “female” box on ...

Report: Audi pushing DOT to allow its sequential LED turn signals
Filed under: Sedan , Government/Legal , Safety , Technology , Audi , Luxury Still in the process of trying to get its trick LED Matrix Beam ...

Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Acquired by Sequential
Sequential Brands Group has acquired Martha Stewart’s media company, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, the two companies said on Monday. The ...

Tackle a Mac's name changing with sequential numbers
If a conflict occurs in sharing services, your Mac may start changing its name and append sequential numbers to the end of it.