Install Oracle 9i after Oracle 10g

I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had
Oracle 10g installed.  I was planning to use the listener which was
created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new
listener for 9i.

I performed a software only installation because the application that I
have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances.

After doing the 9i install, which seemed to go well, I am having the
following problem.  I cannot start the Database Configuration Assitant
or the Net Configuration Assistant.  I don't know if this is because
the it can't detect the 10g listener or if it is another problem which
I haven't discovered yet.

Also, when using the Home Selector utility, it tell me that there is
only one Oracle home, even though I installed 9i into a new Oracle
home.  The Universal installer shows two homes, but the registry does
not show a Home0 and Home1, only a Home0 pointing to the 9i install.

Any know issues with installing 9i AFTER 10g that could be causing
these problems?

Thank you.

RhodeRunner wrote:
> I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had
> Oracle 10g installed.  I was planning to use the listener which was
> created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new
> listener for 9i.
>
> I performed a software only installation because the application that I
> have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances.
>
> After doing the 9i install, which seemed to go well, I am having the
> following problem.  I cannot start the Database Configuration Assitant
> or the Net Configuration Assistant.  I don't know if this is because
> the it can't detect the 10g listener or if it is another problem which
> I haven't discovered yet.
>
> Also, when using the Home Selector utility, it tell me that there is
> only one Oracle home, even though I installed 9i into a new Oracle
> home.  The Universal installer shows two homes, but the registry does
> not show a Home0 and Home1, only a Home0 pointing to the 9i install.
>
> Any know issues with installing 9i AFTER 10g that could be causing
> these problems?
>
> Thank you.

No error message?
No log file entries?
No information as to whether you used the same owner?
No information with respect to setting of environment variables?
No help possible.

You seem to have botched the installation. Start reading the
installation logs.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org

0
bdbafh (710)
8/23/2005 5:40:53 PM
bdbafh@gmail.com wrote:
> reboot.

He's got Windows ... I should have thought of that. It is the normal
solution for any problem. ;-)
--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org

Installing oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server
Hi All, Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server? Thanks Ed Ed <arub11@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > Most definitely in seperate directory trees On Jul 26, 11:33=A0am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 > @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > > > Hi All, > > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > > server? > > Most definitely in seperate directory trees With different oracle users used for installation? Any other info. you may have to keep in mind during the installation of both versions of oracle? On Jul 26, 2:28=A0pm, Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > > Thanks > Ed You install them into separate oracle homes. Do the 9i first and patch then 10g and patch is simplest. You should double check 9i I "think" it is supported by oracle for solaris 10. The installer might get a little weird worry about os patches and pre-reqs not sure. The 10g install is pretty clean. You can do both installs using the "same" oracle user and group definitions or you could...

Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hai ALL, I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle 10g? Regards Karthick T.S. "T.S. Karthick" <tskarthick@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114431653.917702.172310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. > Seems to me they are bored and made it breakable again. My database crashes when i start export with datapump (on Linux). breakable: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/alerts.htm New features guide: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10750/toc.htm T.S. Karthick wrote: > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. ASM ADDM ASH Virtual Indexes ORA_ROWSCN DBMS_WARNING UTL_MAIL .... does anyone need more reasons? There are at least 1000 more. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) ...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

oracle 10g and oracle 9i RMAN
According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then oracle 9i RMAN, because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording changes in blocks in a file. But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG files and how is it different. On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > oracle 9i RMAN, > because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording > changes in blocks in a file. > But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG > files and how is it different. The answer to this question is obvious (as with all of your questions, as you never RTFM and if you RTFM, don't try to *understand* the documentation). The redo log is a *chronological* collection of what Oracle calls change vectors. If you would need to determine which blocks have been changed since last backup, you *obviously* would have to scan through *ALL* redologs since last backup. The block change tracking file is a bitmapped file only stating the fact a specific block has changed. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA On Jul 10, 3:49 pm, sybrandb <sybra...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > > oracle 9i RMAN, > > because after enable block change tracking......

Linking with Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hi, I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an ldd shows libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 Thanks, Iain Iain William Wiseman <iwiseman@fred.co.nz> wrote: > I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. > > I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an > ldd shows > > libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 > > Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it > just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround > > i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 That soft link is a very bad idea. There are two good solutions: a) link the software against Oracle 10 b) install an Oracle 9 client. While a) may not always be possible, there's nothing to keep you from b). Yours, Laurenz Albe ...

How to make a dump for Oracle 9i with Oracle 10g
Hello, is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? Thank you, Norbert On Mar 31, 10:10=A0am, Norbert P=FCrringer <thalio...@graffiti.net> wrote: > Hello, > > is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in > order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > > Thank you, > Norbert Yes, and that's been covered any number of times in this newsgroup, on the web and in the Oracle documentation. I suggest you search the newsgroup archives, learn to use google or visit the documentation found here: http://tahiti.oracle.com David Fitzjarrell On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:10:48 -0700 (PDT), Norbert P�rringer <thalion77@graffiti.net> wrote: >Hello, > >is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in >order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > >Thank you, >Norbert This is a FAQ which should be prevented by searching the Internet. Usually only people in the Eastern Hemisphere are too lazy to do that, but I see the virus is spreading. You need the 9i exp to run against the 10g database. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

Bring over Oracle 9i db to Oracle 10g
Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:RZ60d.82660$N11.77025@bignews5.bellsouth.net: > Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade > this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? > > > http://otn.oracle.com http://tahiti.oracle.com Hi Ana: By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me, Oracle will be out with v.11 - spent a half hour looking for some instruction or article that would help me. Am not a DBA, so the answer might be staring me in the face, and I wouldn't recognize it. Just want to be able to use my old Oracle 9i db in Oracle10g. "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns955FBFA0ADB5BSunnySD@68.6.19.6... > "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in > news:RZ60d.82660$N11.77025@bignews5.bellsouth.net: > >> Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade >> this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? >> >> >> > > http://otn.oracle.com > http://tahiti.oracle.com William F. O'Neill wrote: > Hi Ana: > > By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me,...

Technical differences Oracle 9i vs. Oracle 10g
Completing a brief study for our systems. What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is there a list some out there somewhere? Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and communicate? Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? Bob wrote: > Completing a brief study for our systems. > > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x, 5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes, IIS, Photo Shop, ..... (see a principle developing here?) >and communicate? with each other? Yes. I've never known two 'adjacent versions' of Oracle not be able to communicate with each other. > > Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? MetaLink --> Certify --> Desupport Notices > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? The following document lists the new features in 10g that are not available in 9i: http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and > communicate? Yes. They can even coexist on the same server....

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3. I connect with the command sqlplus as user "sys/secret as SYSDBA" to launch the command "create database" B U T at this point when i insert a usr/pwd (i have tryed with sys/change_on_install as sysdba, system/manager, sys/secret, scott/tiger, all...) in Windows98 appears a dialog box (the same obtained clicking on the menu voice "Start Oracle database") that ask for a password: not a username/password, only a password. I've inserted the same passed to the orapwd command and all known password but it say that it's incorrect. After this I've disinstalled all and reinstalled responding "yes" when Universal Installer ask to install a database. In this way all run correctly. Probably in Windows98 u have to permit the installation of a db to use oracle. Probably the installation of ...

[Oracle 9i] Oracle Embedded Installation and DBA Studio
Hello, I install a RDBMS 9.2.0.4 with the Oracle Embedded Installation 9i without any problem. This distribution is very light near 500 Mo. Now, I want to install DBA Studio but i don't find the correct way. If i use standard media ther is a downgading (OUI and JVM). Any ideas ? Thanks Philippe ...

Free Ebook Oracle Database & Oracle 9i
Free Ebook Oracle Database Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book http://www.downloadfreepdf.com On Mar 24, 6:53 am, "steveo" <selectcm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Free Ebook Oracle Database > > Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book > > http://www.downloadfreepdf.com It's all free over at http://tahiti.oracle.com also ...

Web Services Implementation in Oracle 9i and Oracle 10G
I have read several articles on Web Services on TechNet. It is still not clear to me: 1. If I use Oracle9i EE on HP UNIX 11, do I have everything to deploy web services. Many articles on web services mention about Oracle9i AS OC4J containers. Does that mean I need Oracle9i AS (do I need to get a license for it) or OC4J containers can be downloaded (if not already available) with Oracle9i EE. 2. Same question for Oracle 10G, do I need Oracle10gAS for deployment. I know using Oracle Jdeveloper, it is easy to develop web services, but do I need anything from Developer to deploy a web service, Thanks a lot. Any thoughts on this. Thanks. dbaplusplus@hotmail.com wrote: > I have read several articles on Web Services on TechNet. It is still > not clear to me: > > 1. If I use Oracle9i EE on HP UNIX 11, do I have everything to deploy > web services. Many articles on web services mention about Oracle9i AS No - it's just the Database (and HTTP server, if you installed that from the Companion CD) > OC4J containers. Does that mean I need Oracle9i AS (do I need to get a > license for it) or OC4J containers can be downloaded (if not already > available) with Oracle9i EE. Just the OC4J will do nicely, and no, it's not included with the database. > > 2. Same question for Oracle 10G, do I need Oracle10gAS for deployment. > I know using Oracle Jdeveloper, it is easy to develop web services, but > do I need anything from Developer to depl...

Install problems with Oracle installer 2.2 for Oracle 9i Client 9.2.0.1.0
Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong forum - I am an Oracle Newbie. Here are my computer specs : Windows 2003 - fully patch from Microsoft as of Sept 4th 2004 HP LP2000r 1 x 1,1 Gig Intel processor 1 GB RAM Hardware RAID 1, 12 GB with 8 GB freespace Clean install, no other programs. At first I tried running the Oracle installer program from the CD ROM and came up with the error that it could not find the javaw.exe program. I then tried installing and reinstalling several versions of java to no avail. Next I searched through groups.google and found the solution: 1. Copy the Oracle CD to the hard drive. I copied it to a subfolder directly to C:\Oracle9i 2. Change the file c:\oracle9i\install\ORAPARAM.INI to reflect the actual name of the directories listed in the install directories of the cd I just copied. I did this and next took out some "."s and put the absolute path to the java program and something called the "OUI_LOCATION". JRE_LOCATION=C:/oracle9i/stage/Components/oracleswdjre/13110a/1/DataFiles/Expanded OUI_LOCATION=C:/oracle9i/stage/Components/oracleswdoui/220120/1/DataFiles/Expanded Okay so good so far. This time the installer actually started. The problem occurs in the next few steps, when I click "next" (weiter in German) from the welcome screen- please understand if I translate something wrong here. Then I am shown the installation directory screen, where I select the default listed: Source : C:\Oracle...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are > on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out > the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 > live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is > inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update > rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How > to ensure that these select/update does not fail. > > Kishan Thakker How much data? Which version of 9i? Which version of 8? How much downtime is possible? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org ...

Rename Oracle Database in Oracle 9i ?, Has anyone tried to do that so far
Hello Everyone, I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. Your response will be appreciated. Thanks, Sanjoy rath. "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > Hello Everyone, > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. > > Your response will be appreciated. > > Thanks, > Sanjoy rath. look it up on metlaink "DJ" <nospamplease@goaway.com> wrote in message news:dBzdc.87$e32.40@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net... > > "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > > Hello Everyone, > > > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > > > Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. > > > > Your response will be appreciated. > > > > Thanks, > > Sanjoy rath. > > look it up on metlaink > > and dont cross post to every single group you can find - very annoying > Oracle 9i ...

Preferable option for moving data from Oracle 9i into Oracle 10g??
We have a requirement to move to Oracle 10g from Oracle 9i. As I understand, there are 2 options to do it: Option-1) --------- - Execute Oracle 9i->10g upgrade steps. The data which was in Oracle 9i is now available in Oracle 10g database automatically. Option-2) --------- - Export the data contained in Oracle 9i, using Oracle 9i version of 'exp' tool - Clean-up the Oracle 9i database and create a new Oracle 10g database. - Do an import of the previously exported data into new Oracle 10g database, using Oracle 10g version of 'imp' tool. Could anybody tell about in which scenarios each of the above mechanism is preferable to the other one? If db is small use imp/exp If db is large use upgrade steps On 18 Feb 2005 09:58:48 -0800, qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com (qazmlp) wrote: >We have a requirement to move to Oracle 10g from Oracle 9i. As I >understand, there are 2 options to do it: >Option-1) >--------- > - Execute Oracle 9i->10g upgrade steps. The data which was in Oracle >9i is now available in Oracle 10g database automatically. > >Option-2) >--------- > - Export the data contained in Oracle 9i, using Oracle 9i version of >'exp' tool > - Clean-up the Oracle 9i database and create a new Oracle 10g >database. > - Do an import of the previously exported data into new Oracle 10g >database, using Oracle 10g version of 'imp' tool. > >Could anybody tell about in which scenarios ...

Unable to connect to Oracle 9i database via Oracle 6i Developer
I've successfully installed Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle Forms Developer and Forms Server 6i (Patch 2) on a stand-alone PC running on Windows XP Pro but cannot connect to my Oracle databases via Developer's various functions -- Graphics Builder, Query Builder, Schema Builder, Procedure Builder, and Translation Builder. As you know, these functions want to connect to a database but I get this error at the Connect screen: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name As info, the user name and password are fine for both Oracle 9i and Developer. Oracle 9i works fine. I can connect to my databases (Demo and OpsData) with no problem in 9i's SQLPlus window. It's the connections via Developer that's the problem. (In case you need to know, Oracle 9i reside in the C:\Oracle\ora92 directory with ora92 as the HOME. Developer 6i resides in the C:\Oracle\ora9i directory with ora9i as its HOME.) The TNSNAMES.ORA file for Oracle 9i reads as follows: # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools. OPSDATA = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = OpsData.jgyk801) ) ) INST1_HTTP = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CON...

Oracle 9i DBA OCP vs Oracle 10g DBA OCP
This is a question to all you DBAs out there. Let me start by saying that I am no DBA. I know that someone with a lot of DBA experience is always prefered to one who just has an Oracle DBA OCP certificate. 10g DBA OCP just came out. Should I go for 10g DBA OCP which is brand new or 9i DBA OCP and then later when 10g is implemented more upgrade to 10g OCP? I tried looking on the Oracle web site for when 9i DBA OCP will be phased out but couldn't find anything. Thanks for all the feedback in advance. Wally Wally wrote: > This is a question to all you DBAs out there. > > Let me start by saying that I am no DBA. > > I know that someone with a lot of DBA experience is always prefered to > one who just has an Oracle DBA OCP certificate. 10g DBA OCP just came > out. Should I go for 10g DBA OCP which is brand new or 9i DBA OCP and > then later when 10g is implemented more upgrade to 10g OCP? I tried > looking on the Oracle web site for when 9i DBA OCP will be phased out > but couldn't find anything. > > > Thanks for all the feedback in advance. > > Wally 9i OCP tests will not be phased out for a long time. Not many people running 10g yet. 10g dba training courses emphasize clicking on the gui without much if any explanation of what is going on behind the scenes. 9i dba training similar with a little more info on what is actually happening. Your call ... you already know that most places hire only dba's with relevan...

massive performance drop Oracle 9i on multi processor system (Windows Server 2003, Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.6.0)
The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out, that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net (OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far. We are testing performance behaviour with some business critical PL/SQL procedures that do authorization calculations for our application. Simplified these functions do a lot of inserts, deletes and selects in/from tables (being used as temp tables in lack of in memory temp table support of oracle 9i). We can monitor the progress within the stored procedure by using UTL_FILE functions to write a log file into the file system of the server; we real time monitor the log file using "tail -f". <PL/SQL do something> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE(); <PL/SQL do something> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE(); [...] When setting "CPU_COUNT = 1" in init.ora the function will typically run up to 10 seconds, when setting "CPU_COUNT = 4" it will take more than 2 minutes (!!!) We experimented with the following other parameters so far: db_writer_processes (set to 4 in combination with cpu_count = 4) fast_start_parall...

Web resources about - Install Oracle 9i after Oracle 10g - comp.databases.oracle.server

Can Facebook Advertisers Test Mobile App Install Ads On Their Devices?
Some Facebook advertisers are now able to preview their mobile application install ads directly on their mobile devices, complete with active ...

New Features to Mobile App Install Ads
Today we are happy to announce some updates to mobile app install ads to improve the experience people and developers have when viewing and creating ...

Facebook tries new designs for mobile page-Like and app install ads
Facebook began testing new designs for its mobile app install ads and page post ads this weekend. Following an update for Facebook for iOS, ...

Perth shopping centre installs WA's biggest solar power system
A thousand solar panels saves $20,000 a month.

How to: Install Android N developer preview factory images on Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and ...
Google introduced to the world the next version of Android, dubbed Android N, oddly early this year compared to the usual announcement at its ...

Should you install N preview on your main device? Here are some of the known issues with it.
... standing for “nut telling,” according to Hiroshi Lockheimer) is here and we’re all super excited to see it in action. But is it safe to install ...

Comcast failed to install Internet for 10 months then demanded $60,000 in fees
Despite all appearances, Comcast Business wasn't available at SmartCar's address. (credit: Comcast ) Nearly a year ago, a Silicon Valley startup ...

Las Vegas installs cool solar-kinetic street lights
Filed under: Etc. , Green , Videos , Emissions , Green Culture , Technology , Solar EnGoPlanet is providing Sin City with LED street lights powered ...