install oracle database server at home

Hi

I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer -
possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM
especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers
B.
0
bmar007 (1)

Baz wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer -
> possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM
> especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> B.

Practical minimums:

- Pentium 600
- 512M Ram
- 5G free disk
- NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...)
- Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro

It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an
exercise in frustration.

/Hans
0
News.Hans (974)

Oracle databases on a server

SqlSpec

why do we need to shutdown database or application server to backup Oracle Home?
Dear Group, We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log files. Any explanations will be highly appreciated. Thanks On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:52:16 -0700, cs3526 wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, Reading books and manuals can sometimes be beneficial. -- Mladen Gogala http://mgogala.freehostia.com cs3526@yahoo.com wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown > database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. According to Tom Kyte, thou shalt not schedule unattended shutdowns. C. On 14 mar, 01:52, cs3...@yahoo.com wrote: > Dear Group, > > We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. > > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown > database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. > > It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those > files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log > files. >...

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

Sqlserver 2000 database on Oracle 9 server
Hi! how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. or how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. Thanks Hubert Mayr wrote: > Hi! > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > or > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > Thanks > Oracle Transparent Gateway. Heterogeneous services. ASCII files. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1073922683.284194@yasure>... > Hubert Mayr wrote: > > > Hi! > > > > how could I link a sqlserver 2000 database on a oracle 9 server. > > or > > how could I import a sqlserver 2000 database in oracle 9 server. > > > > Thanks > > > > Oracle Transparent Gateway. > Heterogeneous services. > ASCII files. I have read some articles about this, but I am a little confused about the difference between "Oracle Transparent Gateway" and "Heterogeneous services". I want to create a database link so that the application (logging on to Oracle) will not know whether the table is actually stored in Oracle or in SQL Server. Do I need Oracle Transparent Gateway to make this possible or ...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table > spaces, data.... > > how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > > I appreciate ur help, > > thx > > Plactoon And the version and size are irrelevant? ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On 1 Aug 2006 15:18:38 -0700, "Plactoon" <elsersupremo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi everyone, > >I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all >equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to >change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table >spaces, data.... > >how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > >I appreciate ur help, > >thx > >Plactoon That would be an inadvisible ...

Strange Network Error on Oracle Database Server
Hi Oracle Gurus, We are experiencing a strange Oracle database server(Windows 2003) behaviour When we try to start Oracle database from services -- It does not start the database and in Oradim.log we see following error -- ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error and in sqlnet.ora -- Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=host02)(USER=SYSTEM)))) However, If I try to manually start the database by login in as sys, it gets started. I have already tried following (a) Recreate the service using Oradim.exe (b) Removed sqlnet.ora file from C:\Oracle\Ora90\network\ADMIN What can be the possible reason(s) for this. Thanks If you can connect to the database instance, even if it is "idle", the service must have started. Without the service having started, you cannot connect via sqlplus.exe even on the server console (on win32). Perhaps it is taking a relatively long time for the database instance to be completely open - and the error message that you show above is a timed out connection attempt? Is the ORACLE_SID of interest "ORCL"? When you re-created the OS Service, did you set the startmode to auto or manual? Is there an init.ora in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database folder that has an IFILE entry to the real parameter file? Is the service owned by a...

WINODS NT SERVER Oracle
I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, i.e., one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the workarounds. Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. Do same problem exist with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client. Thanks, Prem On 19 Feb 2004 18:38:10 -0800, premmehrotra@hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote: >I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing >the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service >Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, >i.e., >one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the >workarounds. Because Microsoft is Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't support the BEQ protocol used by Oracle for this purpose. The only lousy workaround is to use set local=<tns service name> prior to connecting to sql*plus in a cmd window. Also you can't use the lsnrctl program to start and stop the listener for the same reason. You need to bounce the service. > >Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console >wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. OEM? It works! Need to save the init.ora on the Oracle Enterprise Management Server, using OEM, but that is about there is. Or dump Microsux T...

Installing oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server
Hi All, Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server? Thanks Ed Ed <arub11@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > Most definitely in seperate directory trees On Jul 26, 11:33=A0am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 > @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > > > Hi All, > > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > > server? > > Most definitely in seperate directory trees With different oracle users used for installation? Any other info. you may have to keep in mind during the installation of both versions of oracle? On Jul 26, 2:28=A0pm, Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > > Thanks > Ed You install them into separate oracle homes. Do the 9i first and patch then 10g and patch is simplest. You should double check 9i I "think" it is supported by oracle for solaris 10. The installer might get a little weird worry about os patches and pre-reqs not sure. The 10g install is pretty clean. You can do both installs using the "same" oracle user and group definitions or you could...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

Oracle management server with only one database going to 9i
We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I have done some research into Oracle Management server. I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will only be monitoring one database, possible two. The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that fact that I can use RMAN for backup, but the real reason was using it for event monitoring. We do not have the man power to continuely look at the alert log, and we are always creating scripts to monitor table sizes, etc. I was wondering if this would be a good thing, and is it commonly used for one database. I am also looking at how much overhead it needs. Size RAM ect. Is there a good READ about this? Is there any best practices for moving to 9i? handl@mts.net (Laura) wrote in message news:<e0ddcf8.0407060608.634328b7@posting.google.com>... > We will be changing from a 8.1.7 to Oracle 9i. > > I would like to impliment some "best practices" right from the start. > Being rather green, 5 day dba course, makes you a dba at our shop. I > have done some research into Oracle Management server. > > I was thinking of implementing this in our shop, even though it will > only be monitoring one database, possible two. > The reason for the management server that perked my interest, in that > fact that I ...

US-IL-Oracle Database Admin (Client Server)
US-IL-Oracle Database Admin (Client Server) Job title : Database Admin (Client Server) - B (4-6 yrs) Order type : Contract (Temporary) Start date: February 28, 2005, Projected end date (Contract only): May 7, 2005 Working hours: From 8:00 To 17:00 Rates: Best Candidates required: 1 Work location: IL Job requirements: G4B1 Database AdministratorClient Server - B: 4 - 6 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING: RESPONSIBILITIES: Ensures the database environment is highly reliable, provides the required functionality, is efficient, and cost effective. Accountable for the creation of the logical and physical data models. Troubleshoots daily program problems to assist program users in accessing and manipulating computerized data. Analyzes and creates programs to streamline production jobs. COMPETENCIES: Establish and maintain data bases for user testing purposes and production; consult with business analysts, data modelers and designers on procedures pertaining to new and existing files; provide input to the data models (functionality, efficiency and usability); responsible for the technical aspects of one or more databases including availability/reliability; assist in the definition of the database requirements; analyze existing databases and their interfaces looking for opportunities to improve their efficiency; and resolve technical problems. QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelors degree or equivalent training or work experience; understanding of customer's...

Web resources about - install oracle database server at home - comp.databases.oracle.server