Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server

Hi,

I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and
64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net
Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP-
UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before?

If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to
configure the same.

Thanks in advance.
Deepak.

On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollipara@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and
>64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net
>Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP-
>UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before?
>
>If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to
>configure the same.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Deepak.

Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without
problem.
Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install
them in 2 different Oracle homes
Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the
installation documentation on http://otn.oracle.com or
http://tahiti.oracle.com both reachable from http://www.oracle.com
Fact: you were even too lazy to type www.oracle.com in your browser
and hit the documentation button.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
On Apr 13, 11:12 am, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollip...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >Hi,
>
> >I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and
> >64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net
> >Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP-
> >UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before?
>
> >If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to
> >configure the same.
>
> >Thanks in advance.
> >Deepak.
>
> Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without
> problem.
> Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install
> them in 2 different Oracle homes
> Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the
> installation documentation onhttp://otn.oracle.comorhttp://tahiti.oracle.comboth reachable fromhttp://www.oracle.com
> Fact: you were even too lazy to typewww.oracle.comin your browser
> and hit the documentation button.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Truth: I am not that lazy for not doing any search on oracle.com for
documentation.. The problem is about 32-bit client and 64-bit client
coexisting..not abt the server... I have gone through the
documentation already and I want an automatic way to do that as I
wouldnot have the access to production sites...and DBA's/ Support
folks wouldnt want to change the ORACLE_HOME using Oracle Selector.

Thanks a lot for your answer the fact maker: Sybrand

On Apr 13, 2:12 pm, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollip...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >Hi,
>
> >I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and
> >64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net
> >Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP-
> >UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before?
>
> >If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to
> >configure the same.
>
> >Thanks in advance.
> >Deepak.
>
> Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without
> problem.
> Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install
> them in 2 different Oracle homes
> Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the
> installation documentation onhttp://otn.oracle.comorhttp://tahiti.oracle.comboth reachable fromhttp://www.oracle.com
> Fact: you were even too lazy to typewww.oracle.comin your browser
> and hit the documentation button.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

The oracle documentation does not cover how to run two clients on
windows with the default windows configuration.  It isn't as simple as
setting up two clients on any other environment.  The oracle home
selector in windows simply switches the PATH entry order.  This is a
major problem for clients that use these settings.  You have links
pasted, but the links don't point to the specific documentation and
they are generic.  What docs outline multi-homing on windows with 32
and 64 bit clients and configuring applications to use a particular
client?

0
Junk6218 (272)
4/13/2007 6:47:08 PM
On Apr 13, 2:27 pm, deepak.kollip...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 13, 11:12 am, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote:
>

> > On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollip...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > >Hi,
>
> > >I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and
> > >64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net
> > >Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP-
> > >UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before?
>
> > >If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to
> > >configure the same.
>
> > >Thanks in advance.
> > >Deepak.
>
> > Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without
> > problem.
> > Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install
> > them in 2 different Oracle homes
> > Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the
> > installation documentation onhttp://otn.oracle.comorhttp://tahiti.oracle.combothreachable fromhttp://www.oracle.com
> > Fact: you were even too lazy to typewww.oracle.cominyour browser
> > and hit the documentation button.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Truth: I am not that lazy for not doing any search on oracle.com for
> documentation.. The problem is about 32-bit client and 64-bit client
> coexisting..not abt the server... I have gone through the
> documentation already and I want an automatic way to do that as I
> wouldnot have the access to production sites...and DBA's/ Support
> folks wouldnt want to change the ORACLE_HOME using Oracle Selector.
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer the fact maker: Sybrand

Your best options is to install and run the applications as different
local or domain users if you are talking about Windows.  Set each
user's local variable settings configurable to the appropriate path
for the desired home.  I've opened up tickets about these issues and
lack of appropriate Windows documentation.  Oracle does not respond
well or even handle multi-home issues well on Windows.  In fact, they
get quite agitated when you point this out.

If anyone has a link to documentation specific to running concurrent
multi-homes on Windows without having to switch the home via the
installer as is in the documentation, please post the exact link or
document title and page number.

0
Junk6218 (272)
4/13/2007 6:53:38 PM
On 13 Apr 2007 11:47:08 -0700, "EscVector" <Junk@webthere.com> wrote:

>On Apr 13, 2:12 pm, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote:
>> On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollip...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>>
>> >I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and
>> >64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net
>> >Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP-
>> >UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before?
>>
>> >If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to
>> >configure the same.
>>
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >Deepak.
>>
>> Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without
>> problem.
>> Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install
>> them in 2 different Oracle homes
>> Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the
>> installation documentation onhttp://otn.oracle.comorhttp://tahiti.oracle.comboth reachable fromhttp://www.oracle.com
>> Fact: you were even too lazy to typewww.oracle.comin your browser
>> and hit the documentation button.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
>The oracle documentation does not cover how to run two clients on
>windows with the default windows configuration.  It isn't as simple as
>setting up two clients on any other environment.  The oracle home
>selector in windows simply switches the PATH entry order.  This is a
>major problem for clients that use these settings.  You have links
>pasted, but the links don't point to the specific documentation and
>they are generic.  What docs outline multi-homing on windows with 32
>and 64 bit clients and configuring applications to use a particular
>client?

Look this is not rocket science, isn't it?
For your shortcuts, the shortcut starts in the proper bin directory.
Oracle_Home will be automagically determined by reading the file
oracle.key, which is present in every Oracle_Home.
This is documented, but I am aware no one reads the documentation, or
wants to spend more than 1 minute.
For DOS sessions, being in this situation myself, I've developed one
cmd file per sid, called init<SID>.cmd. This sets all env vars
appropiately.
Other than that, most of the problems are courtesy of Mickeysoft (for
not providing a proper shell), so you could always switch to a real
O/S.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA
On Apr 13, 3:07 pm, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2007 11:47:08 -0700, "EscVector" <J...@webthere.com> wrote:

> >> Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without
> >> problem.
> >> Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install
> >> them in 2 different Oracle homes
> >> Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the
> >> installation documentation onhttp://otn.oracle.comorhttp://tahiti.oracle.combothreachable fromhttp://www.oracle.com
> >> Fact: you were even too lazy to typewww.oracle.cominyour browser
> >> and hit the documentation button.
>
> >> --
> >> Sybrand Bakker
> >> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> >The oracle documentation does not cover how to run two clients on
> >windows with the default windows configuration.  It isn't as simple as
> >setting up two clients on any other environment.  The oracle home
> >selector in windows simply switches the PATH entry order.  This is a
> >major problem for clients that use these settings.  You have links
> >pasted, but the links don't point to the specific documentation and
> >they are generic.  What docs outline multi-homing on windows with 32
> >and 64 bit clients and configuring applications to use a particular
> >client?
>
> Look this is not rocket science, isn't it?
> For your shortcuts, the shortcut starts in the proper bin directory.
> Oracle_Home will be automagically determined by reading the file
> oracle.key, which is present in every Oracle_Home.
> This is documented, but I am aware no one reads the documentation, or
> wants to spend more than 1 minute.
> For DOS sessions, being in this situation myself, I've developed one
> cmd file per sid, called init<SID>.cmd. This sets all env vars
> appropiately.
> Other than that, most of the problems are courtesy of Mickeysoft (for
> not providing a proper shell), so you could always switch to a real
> O/S.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

No not rocket science at all.  I use powershell, wscript and cygwin
for my windows scripting needs, but I thought the comment was about
the documentation.  I consider the .bat file and fudging the paths and
shortcuts a workaround.  I haven't had an issue with the init files.
The problem as I see it on Windows is multi-homing especially with 9i
and 10g versions is tedious  and not well documented by Oracle.  Is it
in the Oracle documentation?  I don't think so, but I could be
wrong. :-)

0
Junk6218 (272)

ORACLE 64 Bit Client and 32 Bit Server
I have on Client(Windows XP 64-bit) and a Server(WinXP 32-bit with Oracle 9.00.11.00). This Problem is the ODBC-Driver on the Client-side. The Client has a Application(32-bit emualtion!!!). Which version from Oracle Client and ODBC-Driver must install?? ...

Oracle 9.2 client installatiion on Windows 2003 server (32 bit)
I want to install this client. Went to OTN Windows Download. It shows me following files under 9201 installation for Windows 2003 32 bit Download the Complete Files OUI220180.zip (47,405,300 bytes) 9203WIN2K3.zip (181,643,734 bytes) Yet when I read release notes link on the same page, it refers to Three installation: Oracle 9.2.0.1 OUI.2.01.x.x 9.2.0.3 patch set That means I should also download Oracle 9.2.0.1 client. Oracle 9.2.0.1 client is available however only for Windows NT/2000/XP. Is XP same thing as Windows server 2003? Is Oracle 9.2.0.1 client required at all or is it i...

Clone a 10gR2 database running on 64 bit server to 32 bit server
I Have to clone a 10gR2 database running on 64 bit server to 32 bit server. Details: we have HOT backup of last night. Database running on Red hat Linux 4. DB version : 10.2.0.2. Any suggestions are appreciated. is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? regards srivenu On Sep 9, 11:27=A0am, sriv...@hotmail.com wrote: > is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? > regards > srivenu The server has 32 bit binaries. On Sep 9, 12:32=A0pm, amr <maheshn...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sep 9, 11:27=A0am, sriv...@hotmail.com wrote: > > > is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? >...

64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! Windows Liberty 64bit 8403 Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit Edition 8764 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit 12 000 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- IBM DB2 UNIVERSAL CONNECT ENTERPRISE EDITION V8.1.2 64BIT 12 211 IBM DB2 Administration Client V8.1.2 64bit W3KSERVER 12 266 IBM DB2 UDB Enter...

64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! Windows Liberty 64bit 8403 Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit Edition 8764 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit 12 000 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- IBM DB2 UNIVERSAL CONNECT ENTERPRISE EDITION V8.1.2 64BIT 12 211 IBM DB2 Administration Client V8.1.2 64bit W3KSERVER 12 266 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edi...

64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit
64 bit - Windows Liberty 64bit, Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit, IBM DB2 64 bit - new ! Windows Liberty 64bit 8403 Windows Limited Edition 64 Bit Edition 8764 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit 12 000 IBM DB2 UNIVERSAL CONNECT ENTERPRISE EDITION V8.1.2 64BIT 12 211 IBM DB2 Administration Client V8.1.2 64bit W3KSERVER 12 266 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition V8.1.2 64Bit W3KSERVER 12 284 IBM DB2 Connect Applic Server Edit...

[...]

distributed computing
Hi I will be soon setting up a Matlab Distributed Computing cluster and I have a couple of questions. I have a number of machines running 64bit linux. Most of the client machines however run a 32bit windows but some are running 64bit windows. So what I want to do is to install a 64bit MDCS but will the 32 bit windows clients be able to use the cluster? Thanks On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 05:20:20 -0400, Marty <mb1234@gazeta.pl> wrote: > Hi > > I will be soon setting up a Matlab Distributed Computing cluster and I > have a couple of questions. I have a number of machines running...

Oracle 9i client install
Running AIX 5.1L on an old PowerPC (PPS model 7248). Have bos.64bit installed. Unable to get Oracle 9i client utilitiesprograms to work. Get errors exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./sqlplus because of the following errors: 0509-032 Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine. Should Oracle 9i client work on older RS-6000 hardware? Am getting by via Oracle 8i client, but am trying to run a pure '9i' environment. Any ideas? Andrew, I think you need to link to the 64-bit kernel, because the Oracle 9 kernel extensions are only 64 bit, check with "prtconf&q...

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other ...

Oracle 9i Client AIX Installation Problem
Running AIX 5.1L on an old PowerPC. Have bos.64bit installed. Unable to get Oracle 9i client programs to work. Get errors exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./sqlplus because of the following errors: 0509-032 Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine. Should Oracle 9i client work on older RS-6000 hardware? Am able to install and run Oracle 8i client. Any reason why I should not just give up and use what works? Thanks .... ...

64-bit JVM for Windows 2003 Server 64-bit running on Intel Xeon?
Hi All, Is there a 64-bit JVM for Windows 2003 Server 64-bit running on Intel Xeon? I can only find the 64-JVM for Windows running on the Intel Itanium2 processor. I have looked high and low for a 64-bit/Windows/Xeon JVM. I'm really just looking for confirmation one way or the other. Thanks, John On 22 Dec 2005 05:37:48 -0800, "JohnH." <john@jrcc.net> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >64-bit/Windows/Xeon JVM. Pretend you have an Opteron. Then look at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. http://min...

Oracle Client for 32 bit and 64 bit coexist
Dear Experts, We met an issue with Oracle client, and hope you could give us some advice. On our Windows 2003 64 bit servers, currently we have Oracle Client 32 bit installed using by an application. However, running our MS.NET programs on x64 Windows require Oracle client for 64 bit installed. Otherwise, an error would be given: "Exception: Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed." Is that possible to install both 32 bit Oracle client and 64 bit Oracle client on the same server so that different programs could talk to different Oracle clients? Or any other solutions would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot, P.L. P.L. wrote: > Dear Experts, > > We met an issue with Oracle client, and hope you could give us some > advice. > > On our Windows 2003 64 bit servers, currently we have Oracle Client 32 > bit installed using by an application. However, running our MS.NET > programs on x64 Windows require Oracle client for 64 bit installed. > Otherwise, an error would be given: > > "Exception: Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw > BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 > bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed." > > Is that possible to install both 32 bit Oracle client and 64 bit &...

Web resources about - Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server - comp.databases.oracle.server

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper