installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000

Hi
I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my
home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for
Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon
installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like
that.

But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId
service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services
utility(start->settings->control panel->administrative tools->services)
and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are
able to get started and running.

I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above.

Now, please help me with the following :

1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt
but installed on windows xp
2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem.
3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves
the prob?)

Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem.

TIA
Best regards
dream liner

dream liner wrote:

> 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt
> but installed on windows xp
> 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem.
> 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves
> the prob?)

Probably all of the above. Any reason you are using this version ? - it
is very old, and predates XP, W2000 and indeed even pentium chips. You
can get the latest version free for download from OTN -
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/index.html
hi mark,

you are right. 8.1.5 was released when pentium mmx chip was
launched(guess). no particular reason reason for using this verison,
though. wk2 was also just then launched. xp was perhaps in pre-alpha.

but no particular reason. was trying to install this. got the error.
and since there is an error. want to unknot the prob somehow.

dream liner

installing "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services control panel and the service would not just start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running. I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above. Now, please help me with the following : 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt but installed on windows xp 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem. 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves the prob?) Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem. TIA Best regards dream liner <venugopal.sistla@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135827253.474446.317520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Hi > I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my > home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for > Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon > installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like > that. > > But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStart...

Installation of "oracle 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
dream liner Dec 28, 9:29 am show options Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server From: "dream liner" <venugopal.sis...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this author Date: 27 Dec 2005 20:29:14 -0800 Local: Wed, Dec 28 2005 9:29 am Subject: installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000 Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse Hi I'm using Pentium IV 3.0 GHz (HT enabled) with Windows XP (SP2) as my home pc. I was able to install Oracle 8.1.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows NT in this machine (perhaps, successfully) . Immediately upon installing, I was able to login and create a user, and things like that. But after i shutdown and restart the OS, the OracleStartServiceId service is shown as "Starting" in the windows services in control control panel and the service would not start. All other oracle services are able to get started and running. I also installed on windows 2000, same result as mentioned above. Now, please help me with the following : 1. Is it problem of installing of oracle database meant for windows nt but installed on windows xp 2. Is it Pentium-IV related problem. 3. Is it Pentium-IV HT related prob. (disabling HT in the bios solves the prob?) How do i unknot this? Appreciate greatly for the HELP to overcome this installation problem. TIA Best regards dream liner dream liner wrote: > dream liner > Dec 28, 9:29 am show options > >...

Installing "oralce 8i (8.1.5) for windows nt" on windows xp/2000
[...]

Windows 2000 Server "Opening" an Access XP Database?
Through the Access LDB viewer (MS tool used to "see" who is using an Access database) we are seeing one of our Windows 2000 servers in the as a "listed user." For those that do not know: A "LDB" is a file created by MS Access when 1 or more users open an Access database in "non-exclusive" mode. The "LDB" file exists for the duration of database sessions. During that time the "LDB" file cannot be removed. In detail: We start with a single database file (.mdb) and no LDB file located on a "Freshly rebooted" Windows 2K Server...

Windows 2000 "fixed" my Windows NT partition
Hi, I had two versions of Windows running on my laptop, Windows NT on C: and Windows 2000 on F: A while ago, when I launched Windows 2000, it came up with a screen that Win 2000 has found "errors" on some disks, and before I could react it started "fixing" the disk. I don't know what it did, but after the "fix" Windows NT wouldn't start anymore. Actually, I don't care about that Windows NT anymore, but I'm worried that when I just clean the C: partition something goes wrong and my Windows 2000 may not function anymore. Question: how can I: 1. either get Windows NT back working and then uninstall it. 2. or wipe the C: Windows NT partition without running into configuration problems with the F: Windows 2000 installation. Note that Windows NT was the initial operating system, and later Windows 2000 was installed. Thanks so much! Just remove c:\WinNT. If you want to play it safely, rename c:\WinNT to c:\WinNT.old, then wait a week before deleting it. "hooing" <hooing@softhome.net> wrote in message news:cf69961e.0402110609.58db4a16@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I had two versions of Windows running on my laptop, > Windows NT on C: and Windows 2000 on F: > > A while ago, when I launched Windows 2000, it came up > with a screen that Win 2000 has found "errors" on some > disks, and before I could react it started "fixing"...

Python Paramiko between Linux and Windows Server -- no output obtained from Windows for "dir" or "cd" commands
Hello There: I am using Python 2.7.6 and Paramiko module (on a Linux server) to connect = to a Windows server and send some commands and get output. I have a connect= function which takes IP, username and password of the remote Windows serve= r and I get an sshobj when that happens. How do I use it to send remote cal= ls is my question? If it were a local system, I would just say "os.system" but not sure about = the remote calls. Can someone help? My code looks like below: sys.path.append("/home/me/code") import libs.ssh_connect as ssh ssh_obj =3D ssh.new_conn(IP, username, password) stdin, stdout, stderr =3D ssh_obj.exec_command("dir") #since the remote = system I am SSHing into is Windows. my "new_conn" looks like this: import paramiko def new_conn(IP, username, password): ssh_obj =3D paramiko.SSHClient() ssh_conn.set_missing_host_key_policy(paramiko.AutoAddPolicy()) ssh_conn.connect(IP, username, password), timeout=3D30) return ssh_obj =09 if I replaced "dir" with "ipconfig" it works fine. I wonder how I can make = "dir" work - or for that matter.. with "cd /path/to/dir"? I know for paramiko's ssh connection to work, i need cygwin installed on a = Windows. Objective is to run commands remotely from a Linux to a Windows se= rver and then process the output again on Linux server or on Windows itself= .. I am confused becaus...

Can not find "javah_g.exe" in my "jdk1.5.0_05" Windows install ...
Hi everybody, I just installed the "jdk1.5.0_05" and I want to compile using the "javah_g.exe" JNI compiler. This method is documented in my local JDK 1.5 install (do not be confused with "javah.exe" which is the optimized JNI compiler) The problem is I do not have any "javah_g.exe" installed on my harddisk. Was it removed from the last JDK 1.5 ? If no, please tell me where I can find it ? Thanks in advance. On 22 Dec 2005 03:39:41 -0800, for.fun@laposte.net wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >The problem is I do not have a...

WIndows 2000 "My Computer" Window
I'm creating an application that I would like to have reside in the "My Computer" window. Anyone know how I would be about installing an icon into that window??? Thanks for any help... * Lucci: > I'm creating an application that I would like to have reside in the "My > Computer" window. Anyone know how I would be about installing an icon > into that window??? Thanks for any help... Better asked in a Windows programming group. Here's one way that might work (I found the question interesting so researched it, using my current Windows setup as gu...

Oracle backup task "Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\480155027.5]"
I've seen other postings with similar problems, but no solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions? We're running an Oracle 9.2.0.3, upgraded from a clean install of 9.2.0.1, running on a clean install of Windows 2003 Server (standard edition). We installed the Enterprise Manager Console to be able to schedule the backups. I was able to successfully schedule a backup task, but it fails at run with the error, "Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\480155027.5]", with variations on the filename. Even giving full access to everyone on the temp folder doesn't resolve the problem. The file does exist � opening it in notepad shows the SQL script that it looks like one of the Oracle services is supposed to run to perform the backup. Please let me know if anyone has a solution, or if you need any further information from me. We're trying to get this installation running for the upcoming semester for classes. Thanks!! -- Mark A. Ziesemer ziesemma@uwec.edu Computer Science Student Lab Admin UW-Eau Claire, Wisconsin what os account is set as the preferred credentials for the node? -- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA Audit Commission UK "Mark A. Ziesemer" <ziesemma@uwec.edu> wrote in message news:9710a0f.0312301439.2ee14d13@posting.google.com... > I've seen other postings with similar problems, but no solutions. > Does anyone have any suggestions? > > We're running an Oracle 9.2.0.3, upgraded from a clean install of > 9.2....

Problem installing Access 97 with Windows XP
I have a licensed MS Office 97 package which I have moved from PC to PC over the years and I have just bought a new machine with XP Pro on it, the latest release. When I install Office, I get the error "an error occurred at changing the workgroup database" and "setup couldn't create a system.mdw file....run the workgroup administrator before you run this appliaction (-1011). When I run the workgroup administrator (something I have never had to do before) it simply tries to remake this file and the first error appears again. The rest of Office installs fine. When I ...

converting from "cooked" to "raw" oracle database
i'm working on a database which consists of datafiles in filesystems (referred to as cooked in some technical documents). i want to look at the performance difference with all the files raw i.e. using logical volumes to store the data. i know its possible to backup raw files using the dd command. what i'm interested in finding out/understanding is how to perform the opposite process i.e. convert from a 'cooked' to 'raw' storage system for an existing instance containing data. can i use a dd command to copy data from file to logical volume? is an export/import the only option? i'm going to be performing a number of tests myself and will post findings here. any other knowledge on subject appreciated. stre...@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > i'm working on a database which consists of datafiles in filesystems > (referred to as cooked in some technical documents). i want to look at > the performance difference with all the files raw i.e. using logical > volumes to store the data. i know its possible to backup raw files > using the dd command. what i'm interested in finding out/understanding > is how to perform the opposite process i.e. convert from a 'cooked' to > 'raw' storage system for an existing instance containing data. can i > use a dd command to copy data from file to logical volume? is an > export/import the only option? i'm going to be performing a number of > tests myself and will post finding...

tcl database connection for Oracle MySQL PostgreSQL Sybase "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine" DB2 Interbase/Firebird SQLite Microsoft Access
Hello everyone, There are many people that are looking for/missing the support for their database within TCL. Somehow this was overlooked: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/index.html It has native TCL API and supports most popular databases. One problem: It doesn't have production ready support on Windows, but for the lucky people who use Linux/Unix, it seems to be an excellent solution, while TDBC is being developed. One small correction, the TCL part of the db connection will work just fine on Windows connecting to sqlrelay running on Linux/Unix (which, in turn, can connect to the database running on Windows :) ). What doesn't have production ready support (according to developers) is sqlrelay running on Windows. ...

SN#19148 "Installing Microsoft Windows Server 2008 on Sun x64 Servers"
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 118 Issue 4 2007-12-24 Article 19148 from section "Servers" Workarounds Detailed for Windows Server Pre-Release Version on Sun Fire, Sun Blade Servers A new Sun BluePrints article, "Installing Microsoft Windows Server 2008 on Sun x64 Servers," demonstrates that Sun is a serious vendor of x64 hardware with the company now supporting Microsoft Windows in addition to the Solaris OS and Linux. The BluePrint details the workarounds needed to install pre-release versions of Windows Server 2008 on Sun Fire and Sun Blade servers. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=19148 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2005 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Where is the "windows/options/cabs" folder on my compaq windows 98 install?
I just recently installed windows 98se on my compaq armada 7790 DM and when i was trying to install some software, the was no "windows/options/cabs" folder for the drivers to be copied into.I also had to reinstall the DIAGS partition. Are there any solutions?..thanks, Mark in kansas city -- CHIEFS KICK DOWN THE DOOR IN 2004 "markymark" <markymark7560@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >i was trying to install some software, the was no "windows/options/cabs" Search for *.cab and see if they got put somewhere else. Not every installation had them, and they occasionally get put in other locations. On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:03:28 GMT, "markymark" <markymark7560@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >I just recently installed windows 98se on my compaq armada 7790 DM and when >i was trying to install some software, the was no "windows/options/cabs" >folder for the drivers to be copied into.I also had to reinstall the DIAGS >partition. Are there any solutions?..thanks, Mark in kansas city Yep. Get the cd you installed from; create a windows/options/cabs folder on the hd anc opy all the .cab files from the cd into that folder. The folder isn't automatically created. If you did the installation, you would have had to create it, or it wouldn't be there. It's the same folder as "Win98" or "Win9x" on the CD markymark wrote: > I just recently installed windows 98se on my compaq armada 7...

Ghostscript 8,64 installation on Windows -- missing "Fonts" and "Resources"?
I installed the Windows version of Ghostscript 8.64 using the installer (from http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/current/) which was the only one I was able to find. However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed with Ghostscript. Did this change recently? Am I expected to install the fonts from other sources? Like, using the "urwfonts-1.41.tar.bz" package that I found somewhere else? The www.ghostscript.com website did not have any obvious link (at least not one which I found) to a fonts download location. I have seen an older Ghostscript (8.54) on a colleague's notebook, where there are non-empty Fonts and Resources directories within the Ghostscript install location. Could I possibly copy those over and use with Ghostscript 8.64? Friday 08 May 2009 > However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not > install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no > "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the > documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed > with Ghostscript. My understanding is that with 8.63, the fonts and resources are now included in a dll. For most...

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

"windows socket" and "datasocket"
I'm developing a LabVIEW application, that needs to communicate with another application, developed in C++. This C++ application uses windows socket. How can I communicate with this application? If I use the TCP functions in labVIEW I can communicate with this application? Thank you very much Esther.Lopez wrote: > I'm developing a LabVIEW application, that needs to communicate with > another application, developed in C++. This C++ application uses > windows socket. > How can I communicate with this application? If I use the TCP > functions in labVIEW I can communicate w...

what is the different between "oracle" and "mysql"?
what is the differnent between them? thanks! "nick" <i141802596@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dlmfj7$u8g$1@justice.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk... > what is the differnent between them? > > thanks! Have you gone to the two web sites and read the literature? Jim > what is the differnent between them? Well, one string is 6 bytes long; the other 5. And diff finds the difference between the strings thus: cbbrowne@mobile:~> echo "oracle" > oracle cbbrowne@mobile:~> echo "mysql" > mysql cbbrowne@mobile:~> diff oracle...

Why "window.alert()" over "alert()"?
While reading c.l.j, I've noticed that some people prefer and indeed even recommend the use of "window.alert()" over "alert()". I can't find any technical reason to make this distinction, and seems to have a (tiny) amount overhead since window itself points to the global object, hence, a circular reference. (From everything I am reading, window is just a REFERENCE back to the global object, as opposed to a separate object.) Which brings me to two ideas: a) Either I am wrong, and window is really its own augmented object through a grammar I don't follow ...

Oracle 10.1.0.4 Windows XP Oracle Installer
After upgrading my Oracle 10g to 10.1.0.4, I am no longer able to start the Oracle installer. It does not appear to copy the jre folder into the temp directory and gives me an error that it cannot find the jre. This did not occur previous to installing the upgrade. Anyone else have a similar problem? GregK wrote: > After upgrading my Oracle 10g to 10.1.0.4, I am no longer able to start > the Oracle installer. It does not appear to copy the jre folder into > the temp directory and gives me an error that it cannot find the jre. > This did not occur previous to installing the upgrade. Anyone else > have a similar problem? No. Worked perfectly on mine. Check metalink to look for others with similar experiences. -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) ...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003
This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who don't/can't subscribe to the microsoft groups. The original thread can be read here: <URL: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.jscript/browse_frm/thread/91bd7c8dfe3c8a9f/a80a764bfb34d2ee#a80a764bfb34d2ee> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c03d3e49-b40e-4ca1-a0c7-cc135ec4d2be&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows Server 2003 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f00cb8c0-32e9-411d-a896-f2cd5ef21eb4&displaylang=en&tm> -- Randy Chance Favors The Prepared Mind comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/ In comp.lang.javascript message <fZ-dnUyF3KVAA1nbRVn_vw@giganews.com>, Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:00:49, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtHome@aol.com> posted: >This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by >Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who >don't/can't subscribe to the...

Re-install "Quick Launch Buttons" in window xp

5-star rating
<quote> - Final verdict Windows 7 combines the security and architectural improvements of Windows Vista with better performance than XP can deliver on today's hardware. No version of Windows is ever perfect, but Windows 7 really is the best release of Windows yet. </quote> http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/microsoft-windows-7-ultimate-622923/review?artc_pg=11 On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:52:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: > <quote> > - Final verdict > > Windows 7 combines the security and architectural improvements of > Windows Vista with better performance than XP can deliver on today's > hardware. No version of Windows is ever perfect, but Windows 7 really is > the best release of Windows yet. > </quote> > > http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/ microsoft-windows-7-ultimate-622923/review?artc_pg=11 IMHO - that's not saying a hell of a lot. ray wrote: > On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:52:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: > >> <quote> >> - Final verdict >> >> Windows 7 combines the security and architectural improvements of >> Windows Vista with better performance than XP can deliver on today's >> hardware. No version of Windows is ever perfect, but Windows 7 really is >> the best release of Windows yet. >> </quote> >> >> http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-sy...

Ann: lesson 5 in Windows API level GUI programming "Window message basics"
<url: http://learnwinapi.wordpress.com/2012/01/08/lesson-5-window-message-basics/> Contents of this lesson: > The power and limits of resources. > Packed message arguments, manual unpacking. > Use a separate message handler function for each message. > Unpack arguments via undocumented message cracker macros. > Be pedantically correct: support message results. This lesson�s main points: * Windows window messages are much like C++ virtual functions. * The packing and unpacking of messages, having messages as data, introduces some com...

Web resources about - installing "oracle 81.5 for windows nt" on windows xp/2000 - comp.databases.oracle.server