Lost oracle passwords on 9i database on windows xp

Hi,
I've got a 9i database on windows xp that's not been used for a while.
I've lost the passwords and would like to regain access. I know how to
do this through UNIX with the authentication there. I can't seem to
find a way to do similar on Windows and would appreciate some
pointers.
0
strepxe (83)

sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba
alter user xxx identified  by yyyy

Do this as an admin

0
johnbhurley (2707)
1/4/2005 2:08:42 PM
Dnia 1/4/2005 2:54 PM, U�ytkownik championsleeper napisa�:

> Hi,
> I've got a 9i database on windows xp that's not been used for a while.
> I've lost the passwords and would like to regain access. I know how to
> do this through UNIX with the authentication there. I can't seem to
> find a way to do similar on Windows and would appreciate some
> pointers.

Have you tried standard passwords for SYS/SYSTEM users?
SYS would be 'change_on_install' and SYSTEM should be 'manager'.
If you success you can change any user password with alter user command.
If you lost both sys/system passwords there is a way to recreate
password file from a command line.
The program was called 'ORAPWD.EXE' and i'm not sure if it still exists
under 9i database.
--
Noel
0
hpuxrac wrote:
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect / as sysdba
> alter user xxx identified  by yyyy
>
> Do this as an admin

This works only if %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin
sqlnet.ora contains:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)

This allows Oracle to permit "connect / as sysdba" on Windows.  Simply
being a member of the ORA_DBA group on Windows does not guarantee
"passwordless" access to the Oracle database, something the 'dba' group
on Linux/UNIX provides.

Another option you haven't mentioned is using orapwd to generate a new
"sys as sysdba" password for the database (I'm presuming if passwords
are lost, this is one of them:

C:|> orapwd file=%ORACLE_HOME%\dbs\orapd<sid> password=<your new
password here> entries=15

This presumes the old orapw<sid> file, if it existed, has been deleted
or renamed.  Now it's a simple matter of:

sqlplus "sys/<your new password> as sysdba"

You now have access, as SYS, to change any other passwords:

alter user xxxxxx identified by yyyyyyy;
Hopefully this better answers the OP's question.

David Fitzjarrell

0
fitzjarrell (2006)
1/4/2005 2:37:14 PM
worked perfectly david. thanks all for the quick replies to my
questions !

0
strepxe (83)
1/4/2005 3:26:14 PM
Thanks for addition tend to guess that this entry would be installed by
oracle by default for running an oracle database on a windows server.
Don't know for sure and not worth time researching -- thankfully I
don't have to work in such an environment.

0
johnbhurley (2707)
1/4/2005 8:34:16 PM
hpuxrac wrote:
> Thanks for addition tend to guess that this entry would be installed
by
> oracle by default for running an oracle database on a windows server.
> Don't know for sure and not worth time researching -- thankfully I
> don't have to work in such an environment.

There is nothing wrong with working in a Windows enviromnet with
Oracle, except for those who have not done so (such musings are due to
a lack of exposure to Oracle with Windows).  I have worked with Oracle
on UNIX, Linux, VMS and Windows and, with the exception of a few
Windows idiosyncracies, I have not been disappointed.  Yes, Windows
allocates memory differently, and uses 'threads' instead of processes,
but it is not the 'south 40 of Hell' many may believe it to be.  And,
yes, the sqlnet.ora is configured to use NTS authentication to emulate
the default behaviour of UNIX/Linux systems since membership in the
ORA_DBA group does not afford users the same carte blanche as the 'dba'
group in UNIX/Linux.

Judging by your last comment, there are those working in the Windows
environment who may well be thankful you don't work in that
environment.  Possibly one day you may find yourself 'saddled' with
Oracle on Windows.  I hope you then have the time and patience to
'research' such things.

David Fitzjarrell

0
fitzjarrell (2006)
1/4/2005 11:15:44 PM
Mr. Fitzjarrell whomever you are, your remarks just cracked me up.

I said I was thankful not to be working with oracle on windows.  That
was all I said.  Did I say anything bad about anyone who is forced to
work in that environment?  No I did not.  Keeping a paycheck coming in
is obviously one of the more important parts of life.

I answered some persons question, accurately.  I probably gave the
person enough info to get back going.

You added some additional info in a posting of yours.  You appear to
have more time than I do to contribute, good for you.  I believe that i
thanked you for your additional info.

Evidently you feel very strongly about oracle on windows.  If that is
what makes you happy more power to you.

0
johnbhurley (2707)
1/5/2005 1:41:28 AM
Coments embedded.

hpuxrac wrote:
> Mr. Fitzjarrell whomever you are, your remarks just cracked me up.

That is interesting, since I am not a professional humourist and, so it
seems, neither are you.

> I said I was thankful not to be working with oracle on windows.  That
> was all I said.  Did I say anything bad about anyone who is forced to
> work in that environment?  No I did not.  Keeping a paycheck coming
in
> is obviously one of the more important parts of life.

Your comment, as I took it, was condescending, and you haven't improved
its delivery with this post.  Not all Oracle DBAs and developers
working in the Windows environment are 'forced' to do so.  It appears
you equate Windows with the onset of leprosy.  This is simply not true.
And I am glad you have a regular paycheck administering Oracle on an
operating system of which you approve.

> I answered some persons question, accurately.  I probably gave the
> person enough info to get back going.

Please read the original post again.  The OP had already attempted to
use the advice you provided, before you posted it, and met with
failure.  You know UNIX, and probably know it well, and for that I
commend you.  However, you are, by your own admission, unfamiliar with
Oracle on Windows;  that does not make your answer less correct, but it
does make it less than useful.

> You added some additional info in a posting of yours.  You appear to
> have more time than I do to contribute, good for you.  I believe that
> thanked you for your additional info.

That you did, in passing, just before your off-hand comment of
thanksgiving with regard to not working in the Windows wnvironment.

> Evidently you feel very strongly about oracle on windows.  If that is
> what makes you happy more power to you.

I do have strong feelings with respect to the Oracle DBAs across the
globe and the important jobs they accomplish on a daily basis,
regardless of the platform Oracle happens to be installed upon.  And I
do not go about tossing off what could be construed as demeaning
comments on any particular operating system to which Oracle has been
ported.

I hope you never are forced to 'soil' yourself (in your opinion) by
taking a 'lesser' (again, in your opinion) position administering
Oracle in a Windows shop.

David Fitzjarrell

0
fitzjarrell (2006)

I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without any problems. Is there anybody that did that before? Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science Teacher http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon I've installed it on windows 2003 enterprise ed. about 1 month ago without any problem. I've installed the version 9.2.0.1 with the patch to 9.2.0.3. 9.2.0.3 is the only version certified by oracle for win 2003. Ciao "Yvon Bouchard" <yvon.bouchard@cablevision.qc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio n...

Oracle 8i and 9i Database concurrently on Windows 2000 Server
I am trying to install Oracle 8i and 9i Database server on same machine , but I am getting getting various errors.. I cannot start TNSListener servive of both 8i and 9i simultaneously. If i try to login to 8i Database using scott / tiger or try to create a database , I get "Tns protocol error". Cannot complete Net8 configuration and Database configuration while installing 8i Database server. Please help me for same as i tried installing 8i for many times. I have kept different home names for both 8i and 9i. Forms 6i and D2k 4.5 is already installed on the M/c. Is there any sequenc...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's ther...

Free Ebook Oracle Database & Oracle 9i
Free Ebook Oracle Database Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book http://www.downloadfreepdf.com On Mar 24, 6:53 am, "steveo" <selectcm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Free Ebook Oracle Database > > Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book > > http://www.downloadfreepdf.com It's all free over at http://tahiti.oracle.com also ...

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features si...

Oracle 9i database on Windows 98?
Can I install it. Because I have 188 MB RAM on a 500 processor and its too slow with XP. Will it get faster with 98 becuase 98 requires much less resourses? thx Oracle Newbie wrote: > Can I install it. Because I have 188 MB RAM on a 500 processor and its too > slow with XP. Will it get faster with 98 becuase 98 requires much less > resourses? > > thx Think absolute minimum of 256M RAM. And realize that this is roughly like attempting to run Windows98 on 16M Ram ... theoretically possible, but not practical. Besides, only Oracle9i Release 1 was available on Windows98. ...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failove...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would lik...

Rename Oracle Database in Oracle 9i ?, Has anyone tried to do that so far
Hello Everyone, I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. Your response will be appreciated. Thanks, Sanjoy rath. "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > Hello Everyone, > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > Oracle 9i uses schema inst...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3...

Web resources about - Lost oracle passwords on 9i database on windows xp - comp.databases.oracle.server

One-time password - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A one-time password (OTP) is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction. OTPs avoid a number of shortcomings that are ...

Oregon To Consider Bill Blocking Employers From Demanding Applicants’ Facebook Passwords
The Oregon House of Representatives will hear a bill Friday that would prevent employers from demanding that job applicants reveal their passwords ...

Keeping Passwords Secure
The Facebook Security team has always kept a close eye on data breach announcements from other organizations. Theft of personal data like email ...

New Facebook Security Features: One-Time Passwords, Security Info
Facebook has launched two new security features to help users stay in control of their accounts. Users can now receive a one-time password from ...

The most popular passwords of 2015 are the worst, again
Our passwords are bad, and we should feel bad about it.

Free tool launches to evaluate privileged password management
It's easy to set rules for handling privileged account passwords, but harder to ensure that they're being followed and that they meet best practice ...

Widow wins battle with Apple over deceased husband’s password
A widow in Canada has won her battle with Apple after the tech giant demanded that she get a court order to obtain her deceased husband’s Apple ...

These were the 25 worst passwords of 2015
SplashData's annual "Worst Passwords List" highlights some not-so-secure choices that put people's data at risk

Ta-ta to passwords and PINs; faces and fingerprints to rule the future
Facial and fingerprint recognition technologies are expected to see accelerated growth over the next five years as security applications emerge ...

Secure your Notes with password protection in iOS 9.3
iOS 9.3 has a new feature that allows you to protect your sensitive Notes with a password or with Touch ID. It’s a great way to keep stuff like ...