massive performance drop Oracle 9i on multi processor system (Windows Server 2003, Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.6.0)

The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped
dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows
Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out,
that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our
server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly
dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error
approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net
(OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far.

We are testing performance behaviour with some business critical
PL/SQL procedures that do authorization calculations for our
application. Simplified these functions do a lot of inserts, deletes
and selects in/from tables (being used as temp tables in lack of in
memory temp table support of oracle 9i). We can monitor the progress
within the stored procedure by using UTL_FILE functions to write a log
file into the file system of the server; we real time monitor the log
file using "tail -f".

<PL/SQL do something>
UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE();
<PL/SQL do something>
UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE();
[...]

When setting "CPU_COUNT = 1" in init.ora the function will typically
run up to 10 seconds, when setting "CPU_COUNT = 4" it will take more
than 2 minutes (!!!)

We experimented with the following other parameters so far:

db_writer_processes (set to 4 in combination with cpu_count = 4)
fast_start_parallel_rollback = high
_optimizer_cost_model = cpu

Although the last parameter is undocumented it has brought the
greatest improvement so far: dropping >2 min execution time down to 40
seconds (therefore still much higher than 10 sec with cpu_count = 1)

Is there any way to use the 4 CPUs AND reach execution times below 10
sec (... with CPU_COUNT = 1) in Oracle 9i on Windows Server 2003?

Any help highly appreciated ...

S. Bombach
0
emailspam (2)

"Sven Bombach" <emailspam@fahr-zur-hoelle.org> wrote in message
> The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped
> dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows
> Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out,
> that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our
> server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly
> dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error
> approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net
> (OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far.
>
> We are testing performance behaviour with some business critical
> PL/SQL procedures that do authorization calculations for our
> application. Simplified these functions do a lot of inserts, deletes
> and selects in/from tables (being used as temp tables in lack of in
> memory temp table support of oracle 9i). We can monitor the progress
> within the stored procedure by using UTL_FILE functions to write a log
> file into the file system of the server; we real time monitor the log
> file using "tail -f".
>
> <PL/SQL do something>
> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE();
> <PL/SQL do something>
> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE();
> [...]
>
> When setting "CPU_COUNT = 1" in init.ora the function will typically
> run up to 10 seconds, when setting "CPU_COUNT = 4" it will take more
> than 2 minutes (!!!)
>
> We experimented with the following other parameters so far:
>
> db_writer_processes (set to 4 in combination with cpu_count = 4)
> fast_start_parallel_rollback = high
> _optimizer_cost_model = cpu
>

> Although the last parameter is undocumented it has brought the
> greatest improvement so far: dropping >2 min execution time down to 40
> seconds (therefore still much higher than 10 sec with cpu_count = 1)
>
> Is there any way to use the 4 CPUs AND reach execution times below 10
> sec (... with CPU_COUNT = 1) in Oracle 9i on Windows Server 2003?
>
> Any help highly appreciated ...
>
> S. Bombach

Instead of setting init.ora parameters, especially undocumented ones, you
need to find out why the performance has changed.  Did you analyze your
tables?  Increasing the cpu count and having it take longer sounds like some
sort of parallizing is taking process is taking place.(and you don't want it
to.  parellel operations don't automatically make it faster.)
Jim

Jim Kennedy wrote:
> Instead of setting init.ora parameters, especially undocumented ones,
you
> need to find out why the performance has changed.

An 10046 trace should help identifying where the bottleneck is...

0
vlado1 (3)
5/2/2005 2:15:57 PM
check to see if shared servers are now being used:

select server, count(1)
from sys.v_$session
group by server;

SQL> select server, count(1)
  2  from sys.v_$session
  3  group by server;

SERVER      COUNT(1)
--------- ----------
DEDICATED         28

SQL> show parameter server

Are the packages pinned (kept) in the shared pool?
The effect of multiple CPUs could exacerbate latch contention in the
shared pool.

-bdbafh

0
bdbafh (710)
5/2/2005 2:39:28 PM
Sven Bombach wrote:

> The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped
> dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows
> Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out,
> that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our
> server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly
> dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error
> approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net
> (OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far.

The problem is pretty well summed up in your statement "trial and
error approach."

First strip any hints from your code 8i hints are almost always a
problem when moving to 9i. Also return the init parameters to their
default values.

Second run an autotrace on both the original 8i and the new 9i and
see what is different. If that is not enough information dig deeper
by running StatsPack, etc.

Deal with specifics and to do that you need facts. Remember that 4
full table scans are not faster than one.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
Sven Bombach wrote:

> The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped
> dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows
> Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out,
> that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our
> server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly
> dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error
> approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net
> (OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far.

My guess would be that since the upgrade was dont the db hasn't been
analysed and hasn't a clue about how to structure the queries, have you
done that, and example:

begin
dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats(ownname=>\'AP2SYD\',cascade=>TRUE);
end;
/

If true this would explain the performance problems.

Oracle server 9.2.0.1.0, Client 9.2.0.4.0, Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1
Hi Everybody, My Database server is running on Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1, And my Oracle version is 9.2.0.1.0. My Client mechine also Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1 , Oracle client version is 9.2.0.4.0. I am running a web application. Our application is in Magic edeveloper. I connect to Oracle using oracle gateway to my application. My Problem is my application is is becoming slow. I am not able to trace where the problem is. Before our application was running fine. recently i upgraded Oracle client version to 9.2.0.4.0. My Oracle client & server versions are different. I am getting error on my client mechine, it showing all memory address on the screen and the part of error is, arg register addr=83498cc .... Dump of memory from 0x83988c to 0x83499cc .... -- End of Call stack trace -- I am not able to trace where the problem is.Any insight please... Thanks, Ssreddy. ...

oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0)
Hi! when I call the oracle performance manager I get the following errors: VTM-0002: error when displaying graph java.lang.null.pointerexception at oracle.sysman.vtd.VtdCartridge.lookupClass(VtdCartridge.java:1313) ..... what is my problem? Thanks! ...

Install problems with Oracle installer 2.2 for Oracle 9i Client 9.2.0.1.0
Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong forum - I am an Oracle Newbie. Here are my computer specs : Windows 2003 - fully patch from Microsoft as of Sept 4th 2004 HP LP2000r 1 x 1,1 Gig Intel processor 1 GB RAM Hardware RAID 1, 12 GB with 8 GB freespace Clean install, no other programs. At first I tried running the Oracle installer program from the CD ROM and came up with the error that it could not find the javaw.exe program. I then tried installing and reinstalling several versions of java to no avail. Next I searched through groups.google and found the solution: 1. Copy the Oracle CD to the hard drive. I copied it to a subfolder directly to C:\Oracle9i 2. Change the file c:\oracle9i\install\ORAPARAM.INI to reflect the actual name of the directories listed in the install directories of the cd I just copied. I did this and next took out some "."s and put the absolute path to the java program and something called the "OUI_LOCATION". JRE_LOCATION=C:/oracle9i/stage/Components/oracleswdjre/13110a/1/DataFiles/Expanded OUI_LOCATION=C:/oracle9i/stage/Components/oracleswdoui/220120/1/DataFiles/Expanded Okay so good so far. This time the installer actually started. The problem occurs in the next few steps, when I click "next" (weiter in German) from the welcome screen- please understand if I translate something wrong here. Then I am shown the installation directory screen, where I select the default listed: Source : C:\Oracle...

oracle database 9.2.0.8 32bit and windows server 2003 64bit
Hello! What about configuration like in subject... What about memory limits on 32bits? Can i rise sga more then 2GB? on 64 bit system but using 32 bit database? Any suggestion? Regards - MJ On 15 apr, 11:16, "hehehe" <m...@m.ccc> wrote: > Hello! > > =A0 =A0 What about configuration like in subject... What about memory lim= its on > 32bits? Can i rise sga more then 2GB? on 64 bit system but using 32 bit > database? Any suggestion? > > Regards - MJ Obviously, with only a little bit of thinking, you would have reached the conclusion, limits are determined by the OS of the database server. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA thx. I will check Uzytkownik "sybrandb" <sybrandb@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci news:b5d54371-bf21-439b-85c3-ae21dafc21be@3g2000yqk.googlegroups.com... On 15 apr, 11:16, "hehehe" <m...@m.ccc> wrote: > Hello! > > What about configuration like in subject... What about memory limits on > 32bits? Can i rise sga more then 2GB? on 64 bit system but using 32 bit > database? Any suggestion? > > Regards - MJ Obviously, with only a little bit of thinking, you would have reached the conclusion, limits are determined by the OS of the database server. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA On Apr 15, 5:16=A0am, "hehehe" <m...@m.ccc> wrote: > Hello! > > =A0 =A0 What about configuration like in subject... What about memory lim= its on &g...

Oracle server Upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2 on Windows 2003
Hi All, I am trying to upgrade an Oracle server running 9.0 on Win 2003. I do not want to keep 2 Oracle Homes for 9.0 and 9.2. I would rather uninstall 9.0 using oui. I will import the data from production database from export files. What will be my best (easy, hassle free) course of action: 1. Shutdown the current 9.0 instance 2. Drop the current 9.0 db 3. Uninstall the current 9.0 executibls using oui 4. Install the 9.2 executibles 5. Create new db instance 6. Import the data from export files Is this a good idea? Or should I have 2 Oracle Homes by installing 9.2 and upgrade the 9.0 db using dbua? Only problem is I cant find the dbua in the current 9.0 setup. Your advice / experience / feedback will really appreciated. Thanx in advance. Personally, I'd install 9.2 in a second Oracle Home and then upgrade the database. Once it is all done, feel free to remove the 9.0 software in that home. You'll use the DBUA in the 9.2 home, not the 9.0 one! HTH, Brian Wade Chy wrote: > > Hi All, > I am trying to upgrade an Oracle server running 9.0 on Win 2003. I do > not want to keep 2 Oracle Homes for 9.0 and 9.2. I would rather > uninstall 9.0 using oui. I will import the data from production > database from export files. What will be my best (easy, hassle free) > course of action: > > 1. Shutdown the current 9.0 instance > 2. Drop the current 9.0 db > 3. Uninstall the current 9.0 executibls using oui > 4. Install the 9.2 executibles &...

Upgrade from Oracle 9.2.0.1 to Oracle 9.2.0.3
Hello All, I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4. Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4? Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start again? Thanks Kumu Hello Kumu, What is the reason for upgrade? Any specific bugs or issues you experience? You can open TAR as well to get support recommendations for your situation. New patches can introduce new problems as you can see, Regards, Ron DBA Infopower http://www.dbainfopower.com Standard disclaimer: http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html "kumu" <forlist2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a44abd39.0402161837.6badb9ed@posting.google.com... > Hello All, > I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or > 9.2.0.4. Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4? > > Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying > 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start > again? > > Thanks > Kumu "Ron" <support@dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<QqWdnRM_cMiwWqzdRVn-vg@comcast.com>... > Hello Kumu, > > What is the reason for upgrade? Any specific bugs or issues you > experience? > > You can open TAR as well to get support recommendations for your > situation. > > New patches can introduce new...

Known problems with Oracle 9.2.0.1 and Windows Server 2003 ?
On the CD of Oracle Database 9.2.0.1 is not specified that it runs on Windows Server 2003, but i've tried and it works. Do you know bugs or problems with this configuration? I see that 9.2.0.3 version is Windows Server 2003 certified. Do you think that i've to upgrade to that version? (sorry for my english) MariMax wrote: > > On the CD of Oracle Database 9.2.0.1 is not specified that it runs on > Windows Server 2003, but i've tried and it works. > Do you know bugs or problems with this configuration? > > I see that 9.2.0.3 version is Windows Server 2003 certified. Do you think > that i've to upgrade to that version? > > (sorry for my english) It's worth your time to upgrade as there are many fixes. To see which, log on to metalink and review the 'Fixes by Release' note. Remember that if you have ANY problem, the first general response is to upgrade to the latest version and then investigate. "Why wait for spring - do it now!" (I suspect there is probably a good reason why Oracle posted a separate download for Windows2003 Server as compared to the download for NT/XP/2000 - make sure you have the right one.) /Hans Hans Forbrich <hforbric@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<40339F99.48EB66EB@yahoo.net>... > MariMax wrote: > > > > On the CD of Oracle Database 9.2.0.1 is not specified that it runs on > > Windows Server 2003, but i've tried and it works. > > Do ...

help:How can i take Export of Oracle 9.2.0.1 from Oracle 9.2.0.7
How can i take Export of Oracle 9.2.0.1 from Oracle 9.2.0.7 1-what scripts are to be used 2-Where i can find these scripts. Thnks. You can't. You can use lower version export to export higher version database. The other way around has never been possible. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA You probably have Oracle 9.2.0.1 running somewhere right, perhaps on another machine ? Set your ORACLE_HOME to 9.2.0.1 then export through sqlnet: exp username/pwd @9207instance Now you'll use the 9.2.0.1 export utility; this should work. "shahsyed" <shahsyed@gmail.com> schreef in bericht . > How can i take Export of Oracle 9.2.0.1 from Oracle 9.2.0.7 > > 1-what scripts are to be used > 2-Where i can find these scripts. > > Thnks. Hi, I guess oracle dosen't support backword comatibilty.then how it is possible?? Thanks Alok. On 9 Aug 2005 22:05:49 -0700, alok.behria@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, > > I guess oracle dosen't support backword comatibilty.then how it is >possible?? > >Thanks >Alok. Oracle is backwards compatible provided you have the definition of backwards compatible correct. You can connect (again) *lower version client* to a *higher version database* The other way around has nothing to do with backwards compatible, though it usually works, *with the exception of export/import, AS DOCUMENTED* (but I guess no one ever reads the docs) -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi, ...

upgrade from oracle 9.2.0.1.0 to 9.2.0.5.0
Hi, I have a 9.2.0.1.0 database that I want to upgrade to 9.2.0.5. for window version 32 bits, does anyone can provide the node document information of step by step doing it. many thanks leehi leehi wrote: > I have a 9.2.0.1.0 database that I want to upgrade to 9.2.0.5. for > window version 32 bits, Windows NT4? W2k? W2K3? W2K3 - Release 2? Why stop ot 9.2.0.5? > does anyone can provide the node document information of step by step > doing it. leehi wrote: > Hi, > > I have a 9.2.0.1.0 database that I want to upgrade to 9.2.0.5. for > window version 32 bits, > > does anyone can provide the node document information of step by step > doing it. > > many thanks > > leehi Go to metalink.oracle.com (registration and Oracle support CSI required). Click on Patches and Updates tab. Wait for the whole screen to load. Use one of the search functions to find your patch (note the Quick Links if you are getting something common, like 9206 or 9207). When you finally get to your patch download, click on the readme (the piece-of-paper icon next to the download icon). Read all the instructions. It's a good idea to read the instructions every time you do it, even (or perhaps especially) when you are comfortable doing it. The readme is usually also included with the patch. Download and unzip the patch. Look at what is there in the patch, perhaps there are additional release notes. Look around on metalink for addition...

Connection from Oracle Developer Suite 10g 9.0.4.0.1 to Oracle DB 10g Release 10.1.0.2.0
Hi, I have installed Oracle DB 10g Release 10.1.0.2.0 on Windows XP. START->ALL PROGS->oracle-OraDb10g_home3 Location of TNSNAMES FILE: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_3\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA with two alias: 1)ORCL3 2) EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA I can logon to database via SQL*PLUS and I can log on to EM on the web as well using ORCL3. After that I installed Oracle Developer Suite 10g 9.0.4.0.1 to my the same computer. During installation it was not allowing me to install this suite to the same ORACLE home. I installed this in the following home: START->ALL PROGS->...

Change IP address on Oracle 9i Aplication Server 1.0.2.2.2a
Hello, i'd like to know if is it possible to change IP address on win 2000 server and Oracle 9i Aplication Server 1.0.2.2.2a will work? It will be painful to reinstall everything. many thanks, Oc. Ocean wrote: > Hello, > > i'd like to know if is it possible to change IP address on win 2000 > server and Oracle 9i Aplication Server 1.0.2.2.2a will work? It will be > painful to reinstall everything. > > many thanks, > > Oc. > It's even more painful to change iAS 1.0.2.2.2a - believe me! Can't remember how, but I've managed to do it once, and it took far more time than re installation. Don't change the address - why would you? You can probably do some clever things with DNS. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... Thanks for tip with DNS...it's not problem with installing ias but we have some old oracle client applications from different company and all this to set up will be painfull.. regards Tilen ...

restoring 9.2.0.6 datafiles with 9.2.0.7 Oracle
Hello Is there potential problem ? we want to use old datafiles in 9.2.0.6 with a patched oracle in 9.2.0.7... Thank you nonor wrote: > Hello > > Is there potential problem ? we want to use old datafiles in 9.2.0.6 > with a patched oracle in 9.2.0.7... > > Thank you No, you don't want to do that. You want to solve some problem, for which you believe that to be the solution. What is the problem you are trying to solve? In answer to your question -- yes, I'd think there would be disasterous problems. So, again -- what is the problem you are trying to solve? nonor wrote: > Hello > > Is there potential problem ? we want to use old datafiles in 9.2.0.6 > with a patched oracle in 9.2.0.7... That really describes a usual step in applying the 9.2.0.7 patchset. The database files are still at ( whatever ) the old patch level was .... say 9.2.0.6. You have to use the patched oracle binaries to open the database. But then the next step should be to follow the steps in the 9.2.0.7 for patching existing databases ... startup migrate and run the script to move the database files up to 9.2.0.7 ... Is that what you are attempting to do? Have you read the readme ( installation instructions ) for the 9.2.0.7 patchset? ...

Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0) Install link errors
Greetings: I'm trying to install Oracle 9i Enterprise Server and Client on a 64 bit Solaris 8 machine. I encountering link errors as follows: Calling action unixActions2.2.0.6.0 make installMakePath = /usr/ccs/bin/make installMakeFileName = /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk installTarget = ntcontab.o installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0, undoMakeFileName = null undoTarget = null undoArguments = null logFile = /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/install/make.log Exception thrown from action: make Exception Name: MakefileException Exception String: Error in invoking target ntcontab.o of makefile /opt/oracle/pr oduct/9.2.0.1.0/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk Exception Severity: 1 This was while the OUI was trying to execute the following make command: /usr/ccs/bin/make -f ins_net_client.mk ntcontab.o ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0 I can actucally manully execute this on the command line and it seems to work but I'm sure not properly since I'm sure there are some paths that it needs which would have normaly been set in the install script. I believe I have something not set properly prior to starting the Oracle Universal Installer but I'm not sure what (i.e., environment variable, or compiler option). Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers! On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:59:29 GMT, "Joseph Dimech" <joe@tsc-corp.com> wrote: &...

oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0)
Hi! I have a standalone oracle 9.2.0.1.0 database. Then I start sql analyze in oracle enterprise manager console. In the login box I select 'standalone repository'. User: sys, Password: is okay, Service: is okay. I get the following : ORA-28009: connection to sys should be as sysdba or sysoper. Who can help me? Thanks! "Hubert Mayr" <huma1@gmx.net> a �crit dans le message de news:1077876364.992762@news.liwest.at... > Hi! > > I have a standalone oracle 9.2.0.1.0 database. Then I start sql analyze in > oracle enterprise manager console. > In the login box I select 'standalone repository'. > User: sys, Password: is okay, Service: is okay. > > I get the following : > > ORA-28009: connection to sys should be as sysdba or sysoper. > > Who can help me? > > Thanks! > > ORA-28009 connection to sys should be as sysdba or sysoper Cause: Connect sys/password is no longer a valid syntax. Action: Try connect sys/password as sysdba or connect sys/password as sysoper. Starting with 9.0, sys cannot connect anymore as a normal user, it can only connect as sysdba or sysoper. Regards Michel Cadot Hi, set O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY =TRUE. regards Srivenu ...

problem with dbca on Oracle 9i R2 9.2.0.1.0 Linux

Windows 2003 x64 connect to Oracle 9.2.0.6
Is it possible to installed drivers on a Windows 2003 x64 server to connect to Oracle 9.0.2.6 Is a client available for 9.2.0.6 and windows2003x64 or is it posssible to install the 32-bit client on the machine ( windows2003 64bit ) ( i think it is not certified but i think its possible to install on 64 bit ) or is it possible to connect to 9.2.0.6 with the oracle 10 client ???? i am sorry for my bad english but i dont need it often in the bussiness thanks for your help peter brosi On Aug 16, 3:14 pm, peter1502 <pe...@brosi.com> wrote: > Is it possible to installed drivers on a Windows 2003 x64 server to > connect to Oracle 9.0.2.6 > > Is a client available for 9.2.0.6 and windows2003x64 > > or > > is it posssible to install the 32-bit client on the machine > ( windows2003 64bit ) > ( i think it is not certified but i think its possible to install on > 64 bit ) > > or > > is it possible to connect to 9.2.0.6 with the oracle 10 client ???? > > i am sorry for my bad english but i dont need it often in the > bussiness > > thanks for your help > > peter brosi Install the 10.2 client. It will connect to your 9.x database just fine. And start moving to upgrade your 9.x database. It is out of support, and 11.x was just released, so you are now 2 releases behind. I'm not saying the sky will fall if you don't upgrade this week, nor am I saying you should live on the bleeding edge, just that y...

Oracle 9.2 vs. Oracle 9.2.0.4.
I'm using SDK 1.4.2_03 either with an Oracle 9.2 or an Oracle 9.2.0.4 client version. The 9.2 version behaves as expected. My problem only occurs with the 9.2.0.4. version. If I try to process the ResultSet of database query and the selected column data includes leading blanks, the 9.2.0.4 seems to trim these leading blanks. Is this behaviour known or am I doing something wrong ? <code snippet> ResultSet result = null; Connection con = null; Statement stmt = null; Vector vec = new Vector(); try { con = DriverManager.getConnection(dbUrl, dbUser, dbPassword); stmt = con.createStatement(); result = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT DATA FROM CPTMESSAGEDATA";); while (result.next()) { vec.add(result.getString("DATA")); } con.close(); stmt.close(); } catch (SQLException e) { } </code snippet> CPTMessageData.DATA is of type VARCHAR2(50) not nullable with values like: " @20013 @E123 @G123 @ @ @ " " @3700167 @43186 @B50_300 @1 @20013 @1 @OK " Any help is appreciated. Alex ...

Running Oracle 8.1.x and Oracle 9i on same Windows 2000 Server
I'm attempting to run an Oracle 8.1.7 database and and Oracle 9i database on the same Windows 2000 Server. Before doing this has anyone ran this configuration and are there any things I must watch out for prior to installing the Oracle 9i software? Thanks for the assistance. David David wrote: > I'm attempting to run an Oracle 8.1.7 database and and Oracle 9i database > on the same Windows 2000 Server. > > Before doing this has anyone ran this configuration and are there any > things I must watch out for prior to installing the Oracle 9i software? > > Thanks for the assistance. > David Environment variables Multiple Oracle Homes Lack of resources It can be done. Many have done it. It still isn't a good idea if it can be avoided. And please, in the future, do NOT cross-post. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) ...

Oracle permissions issue Oracle 9.2.0.7/Win 2003
Oracle 9.2.0.7 Windows 2003 We are going through a Certification and Accreditation process with our databases. We are being dinged for grants that any schema owner is giving on its objects to database roles. We were told that only the SYSTEM user or a user with DBA privileges should grant the permissions on any object to any role. We have changed the process so that the user SYSTEM will log in and grant the permissions but here is something we have noticed. Lets say that the schema in question is SCOTT. The table to grant SELECT permission on is the EMP table. The role to grant permissions to is EMP_ACCESS_ROLE 1. We log in as SYSTEM and run the following statement. GRANT SELECT on SCOTT.EMP to EMP_ACCESS_ROLE; 2. When we run select * from DBA_TAB_PRIVS where table = 'EMP'; GRANTEE OWNER TABLE_NAME GRANTOR PRIVILEGE ---------------------------------- ------------ ------------------------ ---------------- ------------------------------------ EMP_ACCESS_ROLE SCOTT EMP SCOTT SELECT We see that the GRANTOR is still the schema owner SCOTT. So when the database is scanned again we are still being dinged for the schema owner granting permission on an object to a role. ------- 3. We then tried this (even though this is retarded and unnecessary since SYSTEM has the SELECT permission to begin with) GRANT SELECT ON SCOTT.EMP TO SYSTEM WITH GRANT OPTION; 4. We then log in as SYSTEM and grant the permission again. GRANT ...

Oracle Optmizer does not use the right index (Oracle 9.2.0.6)
Hello, Not sure whether this problem has been discussed earlier in this forum. Can someone suggest a workaround to the following problem which can be replicated by following the sequence of detailed steps I have given below. In summary, if you have a table with two composite indexes, both with the same fields, but one of them has a field in descending order, then the Optimizer loses track of the correct index to use for a specific query. Thanks. A.J.Andrews See details below: ---------------- SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production on Mon Feb 27 08:29:06 2006 Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production SQL> create table tab1 as select * from all_objects; Table created. SQL> set autotrace traceonly explain; SQL> create index tab1ind1 on tab1(owner, object_name); Index created. SQL> analyze table tab1 compute statistics; Table analyzed. SQL> alter session set optimizer_mode=first_rows; Session altered. SQL> select * from tab1 order by owner, object_name; Execution Plan ---------------------------------------------------------- 0 SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=FIRST_ROWS (Cost=172 Card=4899 Bytes=372324) 1 0 TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'TAB1' (Cost=172 Card=4899 Bytes=372324) 2 1 INDEX (FULL SCAN) OF 'TAB1...

Oracle 10g 10.0.2 client, to connect oracle 8 server
Dear Group members, I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and 8i it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error <b> "ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer supported." </b> Can i install, 2 or more version of oracle clients in same system, becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will infect my software .. process.. if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, before installation .. What is the best oracle client software can suitable for most of the server's On Jul 27, 11:58=A0pm, ranganadh <ranganadhkod...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear Group members, > > =A0I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and > 8i > > it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. > when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error > > <b> =A0"ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer > supported." </b> > > Can i install, 2 or more =A0version of oracle clients in same system, > becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some > SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will > infect my software .. process.. > > if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, ...

Web resources about - massive performance drop Oracle 9i on multi processor system (Windows Server 2003, Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.6.0) - comp.databases.oracle.server

Finnish Startup Beats Google, Microsoft and Amazon In Cloud Hosting Performance
... performer in a new study of top European Cloud Service Providers by industry consulting agency Cloud Spectator. “We have long identified performance ...

Radeon Pro Duo mashes two Fury GPUs together for 16 teraflops of performance
... two of AMD's top tier Fiji GPUs (as used in the Fury X and Fury Nano) onto a single card, resulting in a claimed 16 teraflops of compute performance. ...

IT teams choose between performance and security
Although security breach stories regularly make the headlines, a new survey shows that the biggest worry IT teams have with current security ...

Performance at tough situations will determine Tyrod’s value
There is no user-friendly manual handed to a NFL general manager his first day in office. Supply is low, time is limited, one must hit the bull’s-eye ...

ARM and TSMC Announce Multi-Year Agreement to Collaborate on 7nm FinFET Process Technology for High-Performance ...
ARM and TSMC announced a multi-year agreement to collaborate on a 7nm FinFET process technology which includes a design solution for future low-power, ...

Man catches fire during performance at school pep rally in Florida
cleveland.com Man catches fire during performance at school pep rally in Florida (video) cleveland.com DELRAY BEACH, Florida — Eight people ...

Gun Test: Performance Center Shield
Smith & Wesson has shipped 1,000,000 Shields - This little gem from the Performance Center just might be the King of Concealed Carry

Tim McGraw Calls on Fans for Help Creating His ACM Awards Performance
Tim McGraw Calls on Fans for Help Creating His ACM Awards Performance

AMD unveils 2016 GPU roadmap; Polaris offers 2.5x performance per watt, may utilize GDDR5
AMD unveiled its 2016-2017 GPU roadmap last night, with Polaris dropping in a few months and a new high-end GPU architecture, Vega, launching ...