Migrating Database Instance to new OS Platform

Hi,

If I have a cold backup of a 9i database instance taken from Solaris 9
running on a Sun Sparc server, is it possible to restore it to Solaris
9 running on an x86 box (Dell 2850). I'm fairly sure it isn't but have
been asked to verify this.

Thanks in advance

regards
John

0
edgarj (96)

John, an x86 machine uses Little Endian format.  If sparc is Big Endian
then you have a problem.

Even if both machines use the same bit ordering format Oracle does not
officially support moving datafiles between non-compatiable hardware
till 10g and only via rman.

Use exp, binary FTP, imp and call it a day.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

0
Mark.Powell (1630)
7/7/2005 9:01:29 PM
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:01:29 -0700, Mark D Powell interested us by
writing:

> John, an x86 machine uses Little Endian format.  If sparc is Big Endian
> then you have a problem.

According to 10g:

select PLATFORM_NAME, 	ENDIAN_FORMAT
  from v$TRANSPORTABLE_PLATFORM
 where PLATFORM_NAME like '%Solaris%';

Solaris[tm] OE (32-bit) 	Big
Solaris[tm] OE (64-bit) 	Big
Solaris Operating System (x86) 	Little

There is no explicit listing for SParc.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

News.Hans (974)
7/7/2005 9:16:10 PM
Thanks guys your help is much appreciated.

0
edgarj (96)

My company's Unix admin tells me that he knows how to copy/convert
files from Big Endian <--> Little Endian and vice versa. If this
feasible?

regards

0
edgarj (96)
7/11/2005 3:22:00 PM

"Johne_uk" <edgarj@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>My company's Unix admin tells me that he knows how to copy/convert
>files from Big Endian <--> Little Endian and vice versa. If this
>feasible?

I would seriously doubt that a simple copy of files (going via your
Unix admin's mangler) is going to work. If it works, it almost
certainly won't be supported.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.
0
paul321 (166)
7/11/2005 7:04:35 PM
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:22:00 -0700, Johne_uk interested us by writing:

> Hi,
>
> My company's Unix admin tells me that he knows how to copy/convert
> files from Big Endian <--> Little Endian and vice versa. If this
> feasible?
>
> regards

You are now into the region of "Ask Oracle Support whether they will
support your system after that has occurred".

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

News.Hans (974)

Migrating mysql database to a new Server
hi, Appreciate if anyone could help:- I took over a web maintenance but i am new to mysql. We are migrating the mysql database from a old server to a new server with newer version of mysql than the old server. The problem is i don't know how to migrate the database and the previous guy did not leave down the sql root password. Any help is apreciated. Thanks. Regards, Terence ...

how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server
I am on Redhat Linux 9 and using Oracle 10G (10.0.1.3?). I know how to create a Oracle database instance and use EM database control to administer the database. To access database control from a browser, Oracle asks to enter a URL: http://server_name:5500/em The URL does not specify the ORACLE_SID. I however want to create several database instances on the same box. Will Oracle automatically set up a different port (e.g., 5501) for second instance. All the documentation I have found on Oracle's web site refers to a single database instance on a server. Appreciate any pointers. Thanks a lot, Prem You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid Control or DB Console. Jining Han Jining Han wrote: > You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create your > database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use Grid > Control or DB Console. > > Jining Han I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to access many instnaces on the same server using database control. Prem Of course you can, a DB Console for each database, and you can choose that as your preferred approach, too. But I really think it's a waste of resources and a big inconvenience. You are probably better off with the "tradictional" desktop console. Just my 2 cents. Jining Han <premmehrotra@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table > spaces, data.... > > how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > > I appreciate ur help, > > thx > > Plactoon And the version and size are irrelevant? ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On 1 Aug 2006 15:18:38 -0700, "Plactoon" <elsersupremo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi everyone, > >I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all >equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to >change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table >spaces, data.... > >how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > >I appreciate ur help, > >thx > >Plactoon That would be an inadvisible ...

Re: Database Migration to new server
No these tools are not free .... QALoad is from Compuware (this is good for homegrown applications) ... and LoadRunner is from Mercury Interactive (this is very good for Internet applications). HTH Thanx much, Rajib Sarkar Advisory Software Engineer (RAS) IBM Data Management Group Ph : (602)-217-2100 Fax: (602)-217-2100 T/L : 667-2100 As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it -- Mahatma Gandhi kalpanapai@hotmai l.com To: informix-list@iiug.org (KalpanaPai) cc: Sent by: Subject: Re: Database Migration to new server - Any suggestions Urgent owner-informix-li st@iiug.org ...

Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs
Hello, I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). The database is in archive log mode. The backup is done with : - a "cold backup" every night by the copy of all the files : all the dbf datafiles, control files, redolog file and init file. - There are two exports by day with the tool EXP. I have an another server (sort of backup server) named SRV2 with the same installation of Oracle 8i ; The same instance name, the same paths for the files : .dbf, .ctl, redo and init.ora . I can copy all the files of my cold backup from SRV1 to my second server SRV2 and start the instance with the commande : ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; In this case I have my database in state of the last cold backup. My question is : Can I replay the archived redologs of the day ? Explanation : - I have a cold backup of the last night : 01h00 AM. - My production base crash at 12h00 PM. - From 01h00 AM to 12h00 PM, 20 redologs have been archived and save on a network share. --> If I copy my cold backup (from 01h00) on the second server SRV2 and all the archived redo logs to this server (20 files) can tell to Oracle to replay the archived logs on the cold backup before open it ? I have tried to do a recover database but nothing happen. Is it possible to do it ? Thanks a lot Fabrice Comments embedded. On Jul 8, 12:35=A0pm, Fabrice <t...@test.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). > The database i...

Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database
Hello all Oracle&server experts, what you think about the following setup for Oracle database? HP DL585, 16 GB RAM, 2 dual-core AMD processors, 64-bit Red Hat Linux 4, 64-bit Oracle database software. The disk setup for Oracle data consists of six PCI-X RAID cards with BBWC set to 0 percent read, 100 percent write. Each card has six 146 GB disks on RAID 1+0 setup and one hot spare. 128 kB stripe size is used. Each RAID 1+0 set (about 410 GB) is divided into two logical volumes: 40 GB and 370 GB and these volumes are seen as raw devices at the server. I'm planning to put all six 370 GB raw devices together into one diskgroup using ASM and ASMlib and let ASM stripe the database data (tables, indexes) over them (external redundancy). I'm planning to group the 40 GB volumes into two ASM failgroups (3 volumes each) and then let ASM do striping and mirroring over this diskgroup (normal redundancy). This smaller diskgroup would then store SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. With this setup I get good protection for disk failures for all the data and additional protection against RAID card failures for SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. There is a separate FC connected disk system that will be used for archived redo logs and backups. And separate mirrored disk pairs for OS and Oracle binaries. Does this setup sound feasible? Could I make a better use of the hardware by changing something? The system will be used...

New Instance for Existing Database -- 10gR2 under Win Server 2003 64-bit
I'm a Unix/Linux Oracle developer who needs to ask a Windows-oriented DBA question. For testing purposes, one of the guys in this shop wants a new instance that will access existing database files. Working from home late at night, he copied all the files (control files, DBFs, and everything) and then blew away the instance and installed a new one. Now he wants a new instance that can mount the files that he copied. If someone with Windows DBA knowledge could say to me, "Read Chapter nn of the XYZ Manual, you fool," that would be extremely helpful. I'm just not certain where to start. :-) Thanks to all who've taken the time to read this post. David Clement On Jul 2, 9:24=A0am, DavidClement <dclem...@davidclement.org> wrote: > I'm a Unix/Linux Oracle developer who needs to ask a Windows-oriented > DBA question. > > For testing purposes, one of the guys in this shop wants a new > instance that will access existing database files. Working from home > late at night, he copied all the files (control files, DBFs, and > everything) and then blew away the instance and installed a new one. > Now he wants a new instance that can mount the files that he copied. > > If someone with Windows DBA knowledge could say to me, "Read Chapter > nn of the XYZ Manual, you fool," that would be extremely helpful. I'm > just not certain where to start. :-) > > Thanks to all who've taken the time to read thi...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Problems cloning a database/database instance
Hi, I'm running Oracle 9i on a Win2K Server, and I've been trying to follow a procedure for cloning a database ("TEST") as shown here: http://www.sap-img.com/oracle-database/cloning-a-oracle-database.htm Eventually, if I can get past "Step 1", I actually want to clone both the database and the database instance, to set up a test environment. But, I'm having problems just getting past "Step 1". The first problem that I've run into is that the steps indicate that I should edit the .trc file that gets created by the ALTER DATABASE. But, in 'c', it says to add a reference to "the new init.ora" on the STARTUP NOMOUNT line. Also, after 'd', it says to "Copy the init.ora from the source database, and edit it so that it is appropriate for the Clone." The problem is, I don't have a init.ora (or inittest.ora) on the system. I do have an SPFILETEST.ora. I've been kind of floundering, and I ended up with the following mkcloned.sql, which was the result of editing the .TRC file and renaming it: ============= mkcloned.sql ================================================== CONNECT /@test AS SYSDBA STARTUP NOMOUNT CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "TEST" NORESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG -- SET STANDBY TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE MAXLOGFILES 50 MAXLOGMEMBERS 5 MAXDATAFILES 100 MAXINSTANCES 1 MAXLOGHISTORY 226 LOGFILE GROUP 1 'E:\Cloned\REDO01.LOG' SIZE 100M, ...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

HELP : Move old database in old machine to new database in new machine
What are the possible upgrade options for the following situations ? From(Old machine) To(New machine) ======================= ================ Oracle 8.0.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.0.6/HP 10.20 Oralce 9i/HP 11.0 Oracle 8.1.5/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.7/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oralce 8i/Solaris 2.6 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 5.8 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 8i Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i A. Background and limitations ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Data size: Vary from a few gigabytes to a few terabytes Down time: A few hours, such as 8 hours. Old/new machines location: Locate in different countries and connected by WAN. B. The way forward ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I am considering the following methods but I am not sure the feasibility and compatibility issues. Your expertise is sought. Method 1 : Export/Import ------------------------ Step 1: Setup the new blank database in new machine. Step 1: Export the data during down time. Step 2: Transfer exported data through the WAN to new machine. Step 3: Import the data to the new database. Concerns 1. I think it is suitable for small volume data because of time constraint. Method 2 : DBUA ------------------------ Step 1: Install both the old/intermediate/new versions in the new machine Step 2: Copy the datafiles to new machine during downtime. Step 3: Startup the old databa...

Oracle databases on a server

Oracle Database Platform
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2A52D.9A609F10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear all, We are running Sun Solaris 8 (Intel x86 version), could I install Oracle = Database 9i (Linux version) on our Solaris Server? Thanks for help. Maggie ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2A52D.9A609F10 Content-Type: text/html; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dbig5"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff> <DIV><FONT face=3D=B7s=B2=D3=A9=FA=C5=E9>Dear all,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D=B7s=B2=D3=A9=FA=C5=E9></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D=B7s=B2=D3=A9=FA=C5=E9>We are running Sun Solaris 8 = (Intel x86 version), could I=20 install Oracle Database 9i (Linux version) on our Solaris = Server?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D=B7s=B2=D3=A9=FA=C5=E9></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D=B7s=B2=D3=A9=FA=C5=E9>Thanks for help.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3D=B7s=B2=D3=A9=FA=C5=E9></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Web resources about - Migrating Database Instance to new OS Platform - comp.databases.oracle.server

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

YouTube - Evaluating & Migrating to Cloud Storage
Hochgeladen am 31.08.2011 When evaluating cloud storage, no matter the need, there are criteria that must be placed above the rest, including: ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Enchanting video shows hundreds of stingrays migrating through shallow waters
A video showing hundreds of stingrays migrating through shallow waters&nbsp;has gone viral,&nbsp;months after being uploaded to Facebook.

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...