Move Oracle 10g database to another location

Hello,

I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC.
I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works.
Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing,
but working installation.

I should be glad if you could suggest best way to do this.

Kind regards.

0
mkt2002 (1)

Selt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC.
> I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works.
> Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing,
> but working installation.
>
> I should be glad if you could suggest best way to do this.
>
> Kind regards.

Look at the backup documentation at tahiti.oracle.com.  One way is to
use RMAN commands to copy the db after installing Oracle on the new PC.
 Another way is to use the datapump utility, depends on what exactly
you want to transfer.  If what you've done so far is simple enough,
just do it again on the new pc.

Personally I'm a big fan of making script files to be able to do things
again exactly the same, but then again I'm usually on unix.  You may
have made some scripts if you used the db creation facility.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060721/news_1b21options.html

0
joel-garry (4553)
7/21/2006 10:22:40 PM
Selt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC.
> I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works.
> Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing,
> but working installation.
>
> I should be glad if you could suggest best way to do this.
>
> Kind regards.

Selt:

Like Joel said, RMAN.  However, if you're going from test to
production, why don't you just do a cold copy?  If it's a Windows based
installation, you'll need to recreate the Windows service for the
instance, etc., but that shouldn't be a major ordeal.  In 8i/9i the
ORADIM utility is used for this.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

moving oracle database 9 from another computer to another one
hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same directory in the new pc as it was in the old pc. what is the best way to do this? please try to explain point by point. thank you! "noumian" <n.noumia@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1e751a0c-d5ca-4f2c-a126-d97ad842da61@f3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. > i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer > to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same > directory in the new pc as it was in the old pc. > what is the best way to do this? please try to explain point by point. > thank you! The basic steps are: install oracle on the new computer (must be the same OS!), patched to exactly same level, e.g. Oracle 9.2.0.7 with opatch 1234 installed copy the files (redologs, control files, database files, temp files) create instance configure sqlnet (listener.ora, tnsnames.ora etc) I would recommend that you do hire an Oracle DBA to the move. -- Terry Dykstra On Dec 19, 12:41 pm, noumian <n.nou...@gmail.com> wrote: > hello, i am not an expert in orace, that's why am here. > i need to move all a database (structure+data) from another computer > to another one, and i need also to place the database in the same > directory in the ne...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

How to migrate my oracle database to another server, pls
Hi everyone, I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table spaces, data.... how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, I appreciate ur help, thx Plactoon Plactoon wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all > equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to > change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table > spaces, data.... > > how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > > I appreciate ur help, > > thx > > Plactoon And the version and size are irrelevant? ;-) -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On 1 Aug 2006 15:18:38 -0700, "Plactoon" <elsersupremo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi everyone, > >I need to migrate an oracle database to another server, but keeping all >equal, like a mirror, i have my original db in Solaris server, need to >change it to windows 2000 server but, like i said, keeping all, table >spaces, data.... > >how can i do this?, or where can i find information about it?, > >I appreciate ur help, > >thx > >Plactoon That would be an inadvisible ...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Moving a complete oracle 8i database to a new location
Hello all, I have a production database running on Windows NT Server. I have been asked to replicate the database for the development server running on Windows 2000 Professional. I have no hands on experience on moving a database completely. I have taken the copies of the datafiles, redo logs, control files and password file from the production. I have a very vague idea to go ahead with the next step. I have installed oracle on the new machine and have opted for not creating a database during the installation. So there are no instances running and no database mounted. I thought that this was a good occassion for me to learn setting up a database from scratch. If anyone could please guide me step by step on the procedures to be followed, I'll be extremely thankful for the help. I was recommended to this group by many experts in my company. Please help me to find a solution to the problem as soon as possible. Thanks and Regards, Anand PR. anand_radhakrishnan@syntelinc.com (Anand R) wrote in news:c89bc19b.0408060416.296084ab@posting.google.com: > Hello all, > > I have a production database running on Windows NT Server. I have been > asked to replicate the database for the development server running on > Windows 2000 Professional. I have no hands on experience on moving a > database completely. I have taken the copies of the datafiles, redo > logs, control files and password file from the production. > > I have a very vague idea to go ahea...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each section in the tutorial covers topics such as concepts, design, required software, setup and application usage. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/74/2/opt-dev/?12788#12788 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2004 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Oracle Database 10g. When ?
Hi I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g Thanks Javier Villegas wrote: >Hi > >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g > >Thanks > > > If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it is released. And given that no software company is going to stick its neck out and commit to a specific date in advance ... you'll just have to learn patience. About all I can tell you is that from my experience it blows 9i away and when compared with its competition from other vensors is amazing. Especially if you don' treat a database as just a hyped up version of an Excel spreadsheet. The only thing Oracle needs to do to make 10g a huge success is change its pricing model and stop treating the database as though it consists of nothing but columns and rows. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1064985017.992531@yasure>... > Javier Villegas wrote: > > >Hi > > > >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g > > > >Thanks > > > > > > > If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it > is released. > > And given th...

Oracle databases on a server

moving an Oracle database
Hi i hope someone can help. I've been given the task of moving an oracle database. The database is sitting on a w2k3 cluster attached to a EVA storage system. At present the servers are located at a remote site, and need to be relocated back to our central site, which means moving the data to new EVA's. the actual nodes of the clusters will be physically moved so nothing will change here. i'm going to be using microsofts cluster recovery tool to replace the cluster disk resources which is no problem. my only problem is the oracle part. I'm not an oracle DBA and am not training to be one, unfortunatly we don't have one in our dept as we mainly use SQL. from what i can gather all i need to do to move the database is shutdown the oracle service and copy the DB files to the EVA presented drives. these drives will be renamed to match the old drive names. once this is done i believe i can bring the database up and all will be well. is this correct?? thanks in advance for any help! i have tried reading throuh the admin guide but as i know nothing about Oracle it doesn't make a lot of sense and i haven't really got time to start at the beginning!! HoughtonPJ@googlemail.com wrote: > Hi > > i hope someone can help. I've been given the task of moving an oracle > database. The database is sitting on a w2k3 cluster attached to a EVA > storage system. At present the servers are located at a remote site, > and need to be relocat...

from sql server to oracle to ANOTHER oracle
I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. I try to write something like SELECT * FROM LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 but it does not work questions 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? 2) if so, how ? thank you! On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. > > I try to write something like > > =A0SELECT * FROM > =A0 LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 > > but it does not work > > questions > 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? > 2) if so, how ? > > thank you! use a synonym that points to the second linked table? On Nov 10, 9:27=A0pm, onedbguru <onedbg...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > > oracle db. I&#...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

How to move Oracle Express 10 database form one machine to another one.
It seems the backup and restore method does not work. On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: > It seems the backup and restore method does not work. Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? -- Mladen Gogala http://mgogala.byethost5.com On Apr 17, 2:57=A0pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: > > It seems the backup and restore method does not work. > > Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? > > -- > Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.byethost5.com I am sorry for my poor english and little exprence about oracle, can you expain it clearly. Amber schrieb: > On Apr 17, 2:57 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgog...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:19:54 -0700, Amber wrote: >>> It seems the backup and restore method does not work. >> Have you tried bioenery methods or just beaming the database up? >> >> -- >> Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.byethost5.com > > I am sorry for my poor english and little exprence about oracle, can > you expain it clearly. In general backup and restore of Oracle databases (for all editions i am aware of - including Oracle XE) works pretty well, including the scenario of restore to different host. The process itself is well documented and can be looked up here http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/admin.102/b25107/backrest.htm#sthref416 htt...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

Oracle(r) Database 10g Release 2 Outperforms Microsoft SQL Server 2005 in Head-to-Head Comparison
Third Party Study Proves Oracle Database Can Deliver Substantial Savings Over Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Read Full Detail at http://technology-post.com/tech/?p=516 ...

Web resources about - Move Oracle 10g database to another location - comp.databases.oracle.server