f



moving datafiles

Can someone explain to me why this won't work?

I need to move a datafile on a very busy tablespace. The objects in the 
tablespace are only updated once a day, after that it's 100% read. I want 
to move the file during this 100% read time. The conventional method is 
to take the tablespace offline, move the file in the o/s, rename it in 
Oracle, and bring the tablespace back online. I want to keep the 
tablespace available throughout the entire operation so I thought I would 
try the following.

o    	Place the tablespace in read only mode.
o    	Copy the datafile to the new filesystem
o    	Rename the datafile in Oracle.
o    	Bring the tablespace back online
o    	Delete the original file from the operating system.


This is pretty much what's documented in the 8i SQL reference page 8-73 
(for those who require proof you've actually read the documentation).

"Once a tablespace is read only, you can copy its files to read-only
media. You must then rename the datafiles in the control file to point
to the new location by using the SQL statement ALTER DATABASE ...
RENAME." 

The only difference is I'm copying it to another read/write media, not 
read-only media. When I try it however I get the following error when I 
try to rename the file in oracle. Why?

SQL> alter database
  2  rename file '/u23/oradata/DBATOOL/test01.dbf'
  3  to '/u22/oradata/DBATOOL/test01.dbf';
alter database
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01511: error in renaming log/data files
ORA-01121: cannot rename database file 11 - file is in use or recovery
ORA-01110: data file 11: '/u23/oradata/DBATOOL/test01.dbf'


-- 
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email
0
2/13/2004 7:10:59 PM
comp.databases.oracle.server 22978 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
5350 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

I'm no pro to take it all with a grain of salt.  As far as I know, making a
tablespace read only just means no more transactions can be made against the
database.

Existing transactions could still be pending against that Tablespace? Or not
because you just update once a day, but does Oracle know this fact?  What
about forcing a checkpoint?

Have you putting the tablespace in backup mode to do this?

Just bouncing off some ideas, but my best guess is that oracle is preventing
the move because it "thinks" the file is being used or "could" have pending
updates.











"Chuck" <chuckh_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:Xns948E9046CF8DBchuckhsofthomenet@130.133.1.17...
> Can someone explain to me why this won't work?
>
> I need to move a datafile on a very busy tablespace. The objects in the
> tablespace are only updated once a day, after that it's 100% read. I want
> to move the file during this 100% read time. The conventional method is
> to take the tablespace offline, move the file in the o/s, rename it in
> Oracle, and bring the tablespace back online. I want to keep the
> tablespace available throughout the entire operation so I thought I would
> try the following.
>
> o    Place the tablespace in read only mode.
> o    Copy the datafile to the new filesystem
> o    Rename the datafile in Oracle.
> o    Bring the tablespace back online
> o    Delete the original file from the operating system.
>
>
> This is pretty much what's documented in the 8i SQL reference page 8-73
> (for those who require proof you've actually read the documentation).
>
> "Once a tablespace is read only, you can copy its files to read-only
> media. You must then rename the datafiles in the control file to point
> to the new location by using the SQL statement ALTER DATABASE ...
> RENAME."
>
> The only difference is I'm copying it to another read/write media, not
> read-only media. When I try it however I get the following error when I
> try to rename the file in oracle. Why?
>
> SQL> alter database
>   2  rename file '/u23/oradata/DBATOOL/test01.dbf'
>   3  to '/u22/oradata/DBATOOL/test01.dbf';
> alter database
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01511: error in renaming log/data files
> ORA-01121: cannot rename database file 11 - file is in use or recovery
> ORA-01110: data file 11: '/u23/oradata/DBATOOL/test01.dbf'
>
>
> -- 
> Chuck
> Remove "_nospam" to reply by email


0
someone13 (168)
2/13/2004 8:38:26 PM
"craig" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:gBaXb.72411$fD.38968@fed1read02...
> I'm no pro to take it all with a grain of salt.  As far as I know, making
a
> tablespace read only just means no more transactions can be made against
the
> database.
>
> Existing transactions could still be pending against that Tablespace?

No, because if there's a pending transaction, then you can't actually make
it read-only. And if there are dirty buffers floating around from finished
transactions, then those are flushed to disk before the thing becomes
read-only (ie, making something read-only causes a checkpoint).

>Or not
> because you just update once a day, but does Oracle know this fact?  What
> about forcing a checkpoint?

Irrelevant. There's already a checkpoint done when he makes it read-only.

> Have you putting the tablespace in backup mode to do this?

Er, it is actually impossible to put a read-only tablespace into hot backup
mode, and there is in any case precisely zero need to do so. Since it is
read-only, the data file header checkpoint change number is already locked,
and users can't be modifying any blocks so there can be no possibility of
block fracturing.

> Just bouncing off some ideas, but my best guess is that oracle is
preventing
> the move because it "thinks" the file is being used or "could" have
pending
> updates.

Close. The problem is actually that the control file is aware that the file
is online, and you can't syntactically rename a file unless and until it is
offline. The fact that it is read-only is irrelevant: suppose a user went to
select some data just as you'd moved the file? The user wouldn't have a clue
where to look... well, he would, because that's what the control file's job
is. But the control file is either pointing at the old destination, or the
new, or God knows what else.

You *have* to take the file offline before you can rename it. Read-only,
read-write. Zilch difference I'm afraid.

Regards
HJR





0
hjr (2065)
2/13/2004 9:17:42 PM
>
> "craig" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:gBaXb.72411$fD.38968@fed1read02...
> > I'm no pro to take it all with a grain of salt.  As far as I know,
making
> a
> > tablespace read only just means no more transactions can be made against
> the
> > database.
> >
> > Existing transactions could still be pending against that Tablespace?
>
> No, because if there's a pending transaction, then you can't actually make
> it read-only. And if there are dirty buffers floating around from finished
> transactions, then those are flushed to disk before the thing becomes
> read-only (ie, making something read-only causes a checkpoint).
>

Thanks for the info, I am trying to put a lot of stuff together in my head
as a neophyte.

Not sure if I had the terminology all right but my meaning was that the
tablespace goes into a transitional read-only mode (or so my 9i docs say)
where pending transactions can still commit/rollback but no new ones can be
started.  Else, it would be hard to go into read-only mode in a db with
activity. Guess thiss all happens before SQL returns the prompt to the user.
Not sure how it could apply to this case anyhow.

What's strange is his doc that says to do it with read only.  It does seem
odd that there is no way to do this transition online.  Guess in the world
of high end hardware striping/lvm/etc moving data files isn't common enough
to get Oracle's attention?

I guess the question is the affect of taking a highly utilized tablespace
down.  If timed right it wouldn't be out of commision too long?









0
someone13 (168)
2/13/2004 10:37:58 PM
Comments inline.

"craig" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:flcXb.72446$fD.52568@fed1read02...
>
> >
> > "craig" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > news:gBaXb.72411$fD.38968@fed1read02...
> > > I'm no pro to take it all with a grain of salt.  As far as I know,
> making
> > a
> > > tablespace read only just means no more transactions can be made
against
> > the
> > > database.
> > >
> > > Existing transactions could still be pending against that Tablespace?
> >
> > No, because if there's a pending transaction, then you can't actually
make
> > it read-only. And if there are dirty buffers floating around from
finished
> > transactions, then those are flushed to disk before the thing becomes
> > read-only (ie, making something read-only causes a checkpoint).
> >
>
> Thanks for the info, I am trying to put a lot of stuff together in my head
> as a neophyte.
>
> Not sure if I had the terminology all right but my meaning was that the
> tablespace goes into a transitional read-only mode (or so my 9i docs say)
> where pending transactions can still commit/rollback but no new ones can
be
> started.

I think you might be confusing making a tablespace read-only and taking a
rollback segment offline. It's the only thing I can think of. Rollback
segments definitely did go PENDING OFFLINE if you offlined them whilst they
were in use (and went fully offline when the transaction committed). But if
you try and make a tablespace read-only when there is a pending transaction,
the alter tablespace command simply hangs. Forever (or until the commit,
anyway).

>Else, it would be hard to go into read-only mode in a db with
> activity.

Yes, but think about it. You wouldn't *want* to make a heavily DML'd
tablespace read only, since it clearly isn't. Only a tablespace that is
extremely quiet, DML-wise, would be *worth* making read-only, and then it
wouldn't matter so much, would it?

>Guess thiss all happens before SQL returns the prompt to the user.
> Not sure how it could apply to this case anyhow.

No. The prompt for read-only doesn't return until it is genuinely read-only.
I think you're confusing it with something else.

> What's strange is his doc that says to do it with read only.

No, they don't actually. The documents say 'you can move a read-only
tablespace onto a read-only medium' -but that doesn't mean 'you can
*immediately and without prior action on your part* move a read-only
tablespace'. There was a mistaken logical leap from the words in the
documentation to the idea that you didn't have to bother with offlining the
thing first.

> It does seem
> odd that there is no way to do this transition online.

Why? This is maintenance. Maintenance is inevitably tricky when people are
actually using the thing you are trying to maintain. I can see it is an
inconvenience, but it is the nature of the beast, and that's why you have
maintenance windows.

>  Guess in the world
> of high end hardware striping/lvm/etc moving data files isn't common
enough
> to get Oracle's attention?

Pretty accurate, that statement, I think.

> I guess the question is the affect of taking a highly utilized tablespace
> down.  If timed right it wouldn't be out of commision too long?

Seconds. He can copy something which is read-only, at any time. He only has
to issue the 'alter tablespace X offline' and 'alter database rename 'x' to
'y'' commands when he's ready. And they will return practically instantly.

Regards
HJR
-- 
--------------------------------------------
Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com
--------------------------------------------


0
hjr (2065)
2/13/2004 10:54:32 PM
"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr@dizwell.com> wrote in
news:402d55ab$0$5870$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au: 

> No, they don't actually. The documents say 'you can move a read-only
> tablespace onto a read-only medium' -but that doesn't mean 'you can
> *immediately and without prior action on your part* move a read-only
> tablespace'. There was a mistaken logical leap from the words in the
> documentation to the idea that you didn't have to bother with
> offlining the thing first.

Actually the documentation  makes that leap, completely bypassing the 
step of offlining the tablespace (which is what I was trying to avoid).

From the 8i docs on ALTER TABLESPACE READ ONLY:

"Once a tablespace is read only, you can copy its files to read-only 
media. You must then rename the datafiles in the control file to point to 
the new location by using the SQL statement ALTER DATABASE ... RENAME. "

Then if you hit the link to the ALTER DATABASE, there is again no mention 
needing to offline the tablespace.

"RENAME FILE
Use the RENAME FILE clause to rename datafiles, tempfiles, or redo log 
file members. This clause renames only files in the control file. It does 
not actually rename them on your operating system. You must specify each 
filename using the conventions for filenames on your operating system 
before specifying this clause. Do not use this clause when the database 
is mounted. "

> Seconds. He can copy something which is read-only, at any time. He
> only has to issue the 'alter tablespace X offline' and 'alter database
> rename 'x' to 'y'' commands when he's ready. And they will return
> practically instantly. 

Maybe even milliseconds, which is much better than the other method.
-- 
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email
0
2/18/2004 5:14:08 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

moving oracle database server into a new server
Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is > 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). > Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and > running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the > tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need > to do? > > Thanks > Teresa When I do this with windows boxes I either: #1 Install oracle on the new box, create a new database and export/import from old db to new db #2 Copy datafiles, init, sqlnet, tns.. etc over from coldbackup or shutdown old_database, startup nomount and recreate the controlfile to fit new environment. #3 Restore from online backup of old_database and apply redo logs, again recreating the controlfile to fit the new env. (I usually only do this for "practice" and for creating a development copy of a prod db) #2 ...

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

Oracle 9i Database Server on Windows 2003 Server
I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without any problems. Is there anybody that did that before? Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science Teacher http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon I've installed it on windows 2003 enterprise ed. about 1 month ago without any problem. I've installed the version 9.2.0.1 with the patch to 9.2.0.3. 9.2.0.3 is the only version certified by oracle for win 2003. Ciao "Yvon Bouchard" <yvon.bouchard@cablevision.qc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio news:QCLvb.21605$ZF1.2102185@news20.bellglobal.com... > I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without > any problems. > Is there anybody that did that before? > Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. > > Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science > Teacher > http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon > > > Yvon Bouchard wrote: > > I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without > any problems. > Is there anybody that did that before? > Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. > Although I have not installed on Windows 2003 myself, I know of several such installations and all occurred without issue. I do note that Oracle has a separate download (CD set) for the WIndows 2003 compared to NT/2000/XP, so I suspect the install for the latter may not be ...

How do I check which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server
I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's there. > > If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) For better or worse ( we know the answer ) opatch is the tool that install patches from oracle support. "If you did not use oPatch" ... what? >"If you did not use oPatch" ... what? In my 8i environments, there are separate scripts that are run - for example, for a cpu, it would be 'install_cpu.sh'. In those cases, I really don't know how (if) one can confirm which patches have been applied to an environment. ...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

moving an Oracle database
Hi i hope someone can help. I've been given the task of moving an oracle database. The database is sitting on a w2k3 cluster attached to a EVA storage system. At present the servers are located at a remote site, and need to be relocated back to our central site, which means moving the data to new EVA's. the actual nodes of the clusters will be physically moved so nothing will change here. i'm going to be using microsofts cluster recovery tool to replace the cluster disk resources which is no problem. my only problem is the oracle part. I'm not an oracle DBA and am not training to be one, unfortunatly we don't have one in our dept as we mainly use SQL. from what i can gather all i need to do to move the database is shutdown the oracle service and copy the DB files to the EVA presented drives. these drives will be renamed to match the old drive names. once this is done i believe i can bring the database up and all will be well. is this correct?? thanks in advance for any help! i have tried reading throuh the admin guide but as i know nothing about Oracle it doesn't make a lot of sense and i haven't really got time to start at the beginning!! HoughtonPJ@googlemail.com wrote: > Hi > > i hope someone can help. I've been given the task of moving an oracle > database. The database is sitting on a w2k3 cluster attached to a EVA > storage system. At present the servers are located at a remote site, > and need to be relocat...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server > are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this > server? No, these might be different *services* served by the same instance. The first place to look at is /var/opt/oracle/oratab file, which should list all Oracle instances on your host. If your Oracle installation follows OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture,) which is usually true, count $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<dbname> directories - each database should have its own directory under admin. Alternatively, you can also count spfile<SID>.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory. Hth, Vladimir M. Zakharychev N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm) http://www.dynamicpsp.com On 20 Feb, 06:00, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want...

Moving a database between servers
I am trying to move a postgresql database from one server to another. The original server is 7.1.3, and the new one is 7.3.4. I went on the old and used the command: pg_dumpall > dump On the new: psql -e < dump I get this for multiple functions. (Error follows surrounded by *****'s) CREATE FUNCTION "transaction_visit" (integer) RETURNS integer AS ' select visit_id from ( select * from visit_history as vh where sequence = ( select max(sequence) fro...

SqlSpec
Do you wish you had comprehensive, easily navigable documentation for your SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, and Access databases? Are you a SQL Developer or DBA that just inherited a huge, complex database with no supporting docs and don't know where to start learning how it's put together? Are you an independent contractor working with SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, or Access? Your clients would LOVE you if you could provide comprehensive documentation about the databases you build. Are you a Project Manager who is tired of developers making changes to databases on live servers and not updating the corresponding spec? SqlSpec will make sense of it all and generate easy-to-read docs for you for any database on the following platforms: * SQL Server 2000/2005 * Oracle 9i (and above) * MySQL 5.0 (and above) * Analysis Server 2005 * Access 97/2000/XP/2003 SqlSpec generates documentation in two formats: HTML or CHM. HTML is useful for publishing your documents on the web or an intranet site. CHM is useful if you want a single, compact file containing all your documentation about one or more databases. The CHM is indexed so it is easily searchable for any keyword. This way you can easily determine which objects reference the "EmployeeID" column, for example. You can download a fully featured trial version here: http://www.elsasoft.org ...

automate startup /shutdown oracle database server 9i on redhat advance server 3.0
how i automate the oracle database 9i on RedHat Advance server 3.0 automatic startup and shutdown database in linux advance server 3.0 On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:06:37 +0500, "Kashif Hameed" <kashifh@shoa.net> wrote: >how i automate the oracle database 9i on RedHat Advance server 3.0 automatic >startup and shutdown database in linux advance server 3.0 > as usual: just read the documentation http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A96167_01.pdf (and please do so prior to posting as to avoid this type of questions) -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA ...

it's compatible oracle 8i client, compatible whith oracle 9i server (or oracle 10g server)
Hi all, I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i client connected to oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) , and I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. Thanks Angel R. wrote: > Hi all, > I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i > client connected to > oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) > , and > I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. > > Thanks If you have access to the metalink then check the connect matrix at http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=NOT&id=207303.1 Regards /Rauf ...

The Cost of Moving to Small Business Server vs. Moving to Leopard Server
From Low End Mac: http://tinyurl.com/4rzkqq Cuss and discuss. The Cost of Moving to Small Business Server vs. Moving to Leopard Server Andrew Fishkin 2008.10.06 In my previous article, I looked at the option of replacing my Windows Small Business Server 2003 with Mac OS X 10.5 Server, comparing features, ease of use, and security. In features Windows, with its full Exchange server, wins easily, but the other two more than make up for any lost capabilities. The one factor that I did not look at is price, which as I already own SBS 2003 is not the same equation as for someone buying new. I paid for my Dell server three years ago, and it has fully depreciated, meaning that every day that it sits in my office, it costs nothing. Mac OS X Server (10 user edition) costs $500 for the software, and anywhere between $600 (Mac mini) to over $4,000 (decked out Mac Pro) for the hardware. I'm leaning toward a $3,000 configuration (plus server OS) of the Mac Pro as my server, meaning the price difference is $3,500 more to go Mac than stay with Windows. Cost to Upgrade: This is not an entirely fair comparison, as my Windows server is three years old, and both the technology and my needs have moved on. For example, my Dell is powered by a Pentium D dual core processor, which is adequate in terms of speed with my 32-bit operating system. Unfortunately, I am frequently bumping up against my 2 GB of installed RAM and want to at least double it to have some breat...

Question on Oracle Server 10g Install (.../oracle/oracle/.....
I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d b_1'. Received the value from the command line." Did I really key /oracle/oracle/ instead of /oracle/ or did the OUI change the path for some reason????? Thank you, Bill bfogarty@gaports.com wrote: > I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise > Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration > Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute > "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". > > The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and > everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." > for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in > /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: > "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to > '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d > b_1'. Received the valu...

Oracle database move to a new machine
I have: old machine 1: /u01/app/oracle/oradata/DB1/ *.dbf files *.ctl files Oracle Database Release 9.0.1.3.0 new machine 2: /u01/app/oracle/product/primary/oradata/DB1/ *.dbf *.ctl Oracle Database Release 9.2.0.1.0 I just set up Oracle on the new machine. What is the easiest and safest way to move the dbf and ctl files from the old machine and directory to the new one? Can this be done or am I going to have to whip up the old exp/imp tools? Thanks I am very familiar with the initSIDXXX.ora but what is the spfileSIDXXXX.ora file? Thanks v5034 wrote: > I have: > > old machine 1: > /u01/app/oracle/oradata/DB1/ > *.dbf files > *.ctl files > Oracle Database Release 9.0.1.3.0 > > new machine 2: > /u01/app/oracle/product/primary/oradata/DB1/ > *.dbf > *.ctl > Oracle Database Release 9.2.0.1.0 > > > I just set up Oracle on the new machine. What is the easiest and safest > way to move the dbf and ctl files from the old machine and directory to > the new one? Can this be done or am I going to have to whip up the old > exp/imp tools? > > Thanks > v5034 wrote: > > I am very familiar with the initSIDXXX.ora but what is the > spfileSIDXXXX.ora file? > > Thanks > The replacement in the new world. Always stored on the server. Allows changing [most] parms 'remotely'. Don't edit it! It's a 'binary' file & edits can easily made the database unusable....

How to move a datafile to another location on oracle
Bir Oracle Veritaban=FDnda datafile '=FD ba=FEka bir diske ta=FE=FDma i=FEl= eminin ad=FDmlar=FD veritaban=FDn=FDn ar=FEiv modda olup olmamas=FD durumuna g=F6r= e belirlenir.Bu i=FElemleri a=FEa=F0=FDda olumsuz durumlar kar=FE=FDs=FDnda r= ecover senaryolar=FD ile birlikte bulabilirsiniz. http://ozcan-yildirim.blogspot.com/ or http://ozcan-yildirim.blogspot.com/2011/11/oracle-veritabaninda-datafile-na= sil.html#more Someone: # An Oracle database DataFile then porting them to another disk steps according to whether or not the database archive mode ... Pretty well documented in the Oracle manuals as far as I remember. On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:02:36 -0800, TheEnesOzcan wrote: > Bir Oracle Veritabanında datafile 'ı başka bir diske taşıma işleminin > adımları veritabanının arşiv modda olup olmaması durumuna göre > belirlenir.Bu işlemleri aşağıda olumsuz durumlar karşısında recover > senaryoları ile birlikte bulabilirsiniz. Ich verstehe kein Wort. Koennen Sie das auf Deutsch schreiben? -- http://mgogala.byethost5.com ...

How to move Oracle database to a new machine?
Hi all Oracle DBA experts, At work we have an Oracle 8i on Unix with a small amount of user data (less than 10 tables and the largest table has about 4000 records). I need to move this database to a new machine. The database has no active transactions so I can shut it down whenever I need to. I have textbook knowledge on how to do this but the only hands-on experience I have is installing Oracle8i on a PC. So I really need your help. My plan is to make a closed database backup, install Oracle8i on the new machine, then restore the database file. I've read some documentation, but I want to be sure that I understand the proper way to do this before I begin? Here are a couple alternatives I see: Plan One. a. SQL>shutdown normal; b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password file, parameter file). c. install oracle8i on the new machine d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is shut down e. SQL>startup pfile=init.ora; Plan Two: a. SQL>shutdown normal; b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password file, parameter file). c. install oracle8i on the new machine d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is shut down e. SQL>startup mount pfile=init.ora; f. SQL>recover database; g. SQL>alter database open; Plan Three: Is it easier to do this using Export/Import utility? The database currently is set in Archivelog mode. But there will be no loss of da...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

Headaches moving an SQL2K database between servers
Greetings all, This should be an easy task, and Im sure it is, but as many times as I have tried, I cant seem to get this to work properly. We changed ISPs recently from a shared host to a co-located server, and our former host was nice enough to send us a backup of our old SQL2000 database (about 5MB). I went into Enterprise Manager, created an empty database with the same name and used the Restore Backup tool successfully. I took a look at the db and saw all the Tables and data intact. Next I wanted to re-create the DSN to match the old one so that I wouldnt have to fiddle with any of t...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

cannot move the mysql database to a new server
Dear all, I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data files from the old mysql server to the new one. Ao I give the same priviledge to it, .i.e. chown mysql.mysql and chmod 660, in order to give corresponding read/write authority. Also we give priviledge to the user in the mysql database. Anyway, when deleting some data from a table of the database, following error is given as ERROR 1036 : Table 'XXX' is read only. Simon Simon Lee wrote: > Dear all, > > I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data > fi...

move database to new server/directory
Hi, I'm totally new to oracle, only have a bit knowledge of MS- and mysql. I would like to move a database (and if possible all the config) to a new Windows server. I tried exp and imp, but probably it fails as the old server installation points to d:\oradata and d:\orahome_1 while my new standard installation of 10g points to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0. I'd like to keep that as it is obviously default. Can someone please point me what exactly I have to do now? Preferrable using OEM? Thanks, Helmut -- Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99@gmx.de> schreef in bericht news:4s2mntFtugu3U1@mid.individual.net... > Hi, > > I'm totally new to oracle, only have a bit knowledge of MS- and mysql. > > I would like to move a database (and if possible all the config) to a new > Windows server. I tried exp and imp, but probably it fails as the old > server installation points to d:\oradata and d:\orahome_1 while my new > standard installation of 10g points to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0. I'd like > to keep that as it is obviously default. > > Can someone please point me what exactly I have to do now? Preferrable > using OEM? > > Thanks, Helmut > > -- > Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well Hire a DBA for one day? Shakespeare What's in a namespace (xml@ns.com) wrote: > "Helmut Schneider" <jumper...

error while moving database to new server
I need to move a mysql database to a new server. old-server>>mysqldump --all-databases -u root -p > safe.sql new-server>>mysql -u root -p < safe.sql I get an error: ERROR 1449 (HY000) at line 1667: There is no 'lars'@'localhost' registered "lars" was indeed an user on the old installation. What else do I need to do? What's the best way to move the whole db? Users, passwords, views, privilages and all. -- Rahul Rahul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:Xns9C19A16CADAEB6650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@85.214.105.209: > > What else d...

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an exercise in frustration. /Hans ...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

Move Oracle 10g database to another location
Hello, I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC. I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works. Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing, but working installation. I should be glad if you could suggest best way to do this. Kind regards. Selt wrote: > Hello, > > I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC. > I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works. > Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing, > but working installation. > > I should be glad if you could suggest best way to do this. > > Kind regards. Look at the backup documentation at tahiti.oracle.com. One way is to use RMAN commands to copy the db after installing Oracle on the new PC. Another way is to use the datapump utility, depends on what exactly you want to transfer. If what you've done so far is simple enough, just do it again on the new pc. Personally I'm a big fan of making script files to be able to do things again exactly the same, but then again I'm usually on unix. You may have made some scripts if you used the db creation facility. jg -- @home.com is bogus. http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060721/news_1b21options.html Selt wrote: > Hello, > > I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC. > I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and ...

Web resources about - moving datafiles - comp.databases.oracle.server

Architects Datafile (@ArchitectsDF) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Nieuport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and its products (including ignition components) were marketed to the aviation industry. During this time, their first aircraft were built, starting ...

Stephen Harper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stephen Joseph Harper , PC MP (born April 30, 1959) is the 22nd and current Prime Minister of Canada and leader of the Conservative Party . Harper ...

PAL vs NTSC
There has been endless debate on the relative meritsof the quality of PAL images versus the quality of NTSC images. In thisarticle, I want to ...

AV Club - Haunted Concourse
skip to main - skip to sidebar Have Words, Will Travel The shirt says professional, but the sneakers say freelance. Friday, October 19, 2012 ...

The Infocom Bugs List
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++THE UPGRADED, CONSOLIDATED, INFOCOM BUGS LIST by Graeme Cree+++++++++++++++++ ...

1000 Genomes at 2,100+ and counting
... included some Khmer Vietnamese (KHV) from the previous working data for use with my K12a calculator. The list of populations in the datafile ...

Hackers Claim Release of 1 Million Apple IDs
Hackers claiming to have stolen information on 12 million Apple Inc. user accounts from an FBI computer said they have released some data from ...

wiki:syntax [Buxr Wiki]
DokuWiki supports some simple markup language, which tries to make the datafiles to be as readable as possible. This page contains all possible ...

探索ORACLE之RMAN 02基本使用_数据库/开发_比特网
RMAN工具是Oracle8i为了更好的实现数据库备份恢复而推出来的一实用工具,可以实现数据库的在线的备份和恢复从而不影响业务的正常运行。 探索ORACLE之RMAN 02基本使用

Resources last updated: 3/20/2016 8:01:44 AM