Hi all

I will be moving oracle  from one Solaris server into another Solaris
server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is
8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S  patch).
Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle  up and
running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the
tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need
to do?

Thanks
Teresa
0
tpreto7 (28)

Teresa wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I will be moving oracle  from one Solaris server into another Solaris
> server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is
> 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S  patch).
> Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle  up and
> running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the
> tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need
> to do?
>
> Thanks
> Teresa
When I do this with windows boxes I either:

#1 Install oracle on the new box, create a new database and
export/import from old db to new db

#2 Copy datafiles, init, sqlnet, tns.. etc  over from coldbackup or
shutdown old_database, startup nomount and recreate the controlfile to
fit new environment.

#3 Restore from online backup of old_database and apply redo logs, again
recreating the controlfile to fit the new env.  (I usually only do this
for "practice" and for creating a development copy of a prod db)

#2 is usually the "easiest" / fastest, but since your OS's are at
different patch levels I'd think #1 is the best for you.

I'm sure I'll be corrected here in short order if others think
differently however

hth

Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist@no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<vuK%b.15508$A12.8242@edtnps84>...
> Teresa wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I will be moving oracle  from one Solaris server into another Solaris
> > server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is
> > 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S  patch).
> > Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle  up and
> > running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the
> > tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need
> > to do?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Teresa
> When I do this with windows boxes I either:
>
> #1 Install oracle on the new box, create a new database and
> export/import from old db to new db
>
> #2 Copy datafiles, init, sqlnet, tns.. etc  over from coldbackup or
> shutdown old_database, startup nomount and recreate the controlfile to
> fit new environment.
>
> #3 Restore from online backup of old_database and apply redo logs, again
> recreating the controlfile to fit the new env.  (I usually only do this
> for "practice" and for creating a development copy of a prod db)
>
> #2 is usually the "easiest" / fastest, but since your OS's are at
> different patch levels I'd think #1 is the best for you.
>
> I'm sure I'll be corrected here in short order if others think
> differently however
>
> hth

Thanks
But I was not planning to install oracle again, and create a database,
I was thinking in  just shutdown oracle on source server then the
entire source server is going to be copyed over into target then just
start oracle etc.  I though of just update tnsnames. sqlnet etc. Also
both servers resize on the same disk array
Thanks
Teresa
0
tpreto7 (28)
2/28/2004 2:55:36 AM
Teresa wrote:

> Thanks
> But I was not planning to install oracle again, and create a database,
> I was thinking in  just shutdown oracle on source server then the
> entire source server is going to be copyed over into target then just
> start oracle etc.  I though of just update tnsnames. sqlnet etc. Also
> both servers resize on the same disk array
> Thanks
> Teresa

This is possible, and I have done this in the past.  Usually with some
minor disaster waiting for me about 3 months later.

You should be aware of ALL the possible places that Oracle may scribble,
including /tmp, /var/tmp, /opt, /usr/local and (lately Linux) /etc and
you need to watch your file ownerships & permissions, especially in the
$ORACLE_BASE subdirectories.  Especially if you are using some of the
less frequented options and capabilities such as BFILE, external tables,
etc.

If yo8u insist on doing this, it's worth your while to do a full system
scan for anything owned by oracle or the ORADBA group.

I've found that a simple install, followed by a copy of the actual
database files (including the [s]pfile, control, database, etc.) is by
far the safest.

YMMV.
/Hans
0
hforbric (98)
2/28/2004 7:54:10 PM
Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist@no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote:

>#3 Restore from online backup of old_database and apply redo logs, again
>recreating the controlfile to fit the new env.  (I usually only do this
>for "practice" and for creating a development copy of a prod db)

If restoring using rman, what would be the limitations concerning
cross platforms? Can I restore an rman backup only to absolutely the
same vesion of the OS / Oracle / architecture?

>#2 is usually the "easiest" / fastest, but since your OS's are at
>different patch levels I'd think #1 is the best for you.
>
>I'm sure I'll be corrected here in short order if others think
>differently however
>
>hth

Bye
Rick Denoire
0
100.17706 (174)
3/1/2004 2:04:33 AM
Rick Denoire wrote:

> Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist@no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>#3 Restore from online backup of old_database and apply redo logs, again
>>recreating the controlfile to fit the new env.  (I usually only do this
>>for "practice" and for creating a development copy of a prod db)
>

> If restoring using rman, what would be the limitations concerning
> cross platforms? Can I restore an rman backup only to absolutely the
> same vesion of the OS / Oracle / architecture?
>
>>#2 is usually the "easiest" / fastest, but since your OS's are at
>>different patch levels I'd think #1 is the best for you.
>>
>>I'm sure I'll be corrected here in short order if others think
>>differently however
>>
>>hth
>

> Bye
> Rick Denoire

Restoring databases, be it Rman or via the OS, has to be done to the
same OS/Oracle version. As a practice, I always make sure both OS and
Oracle are patched to the same level, if directory structure has changed
then recreate the controlfile to reflect this.

I understand that 10G does not have this limitation, and can restore and
even apply redo cross-platform, but I havent had a chance to try it yet.

hth

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Teresa wrote:
>
>> Thanks
>> But I was not planning to install oracle again, and create a database,
>> I was thinking in  just shutdown oracle on source server then the
>> entire source server is going to be copyed over into target then just
>> start oracle etc.  I though of just update tnsnames. sqlnet etc. Also
>> both servers resize on the same disk array
>> Thanks
>> Teresa
>

> This is possible, and I have done this in the past.  Usually with some
> minor disaster waiting for me about 3 months later.
>
> You should be aware of ALL the possible places that Oracle may scribble,
> including /tmp, /var/tmp, /opt, /usr/local and (lately Linux) /etc and
> you need to watch your file ownerships & permissions, especially in the
> $ORACLE_BASE subdirectories.  Especially if you are using some of the
> less frequented options and capabilities such as BFILE, external tables,
> etc.
>
> If yo8u insist on doing this, it's worth your while to do a full system
> scan for anything owned by oracle or the ORADBA group.
>
> I've found that a simple install, followed by a copy of the actual
> database files (including the [s]pfile, control, database, etc.) is by
> far the safest.
>
> YMMV.
> /Hans

Hans - isn't "minor disaster" a tad oxymoron*ish? ;-)

but then again, I guess it could be the same as a "major glitch" ,
another term one hears from time to time....

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

> Hans - isn't "minor disaster" a tad oxymoron*ish? ;-)

Not really - disaster indicating there is an significant need to handle
the problem, major/minor indicates the relative effort or immediacy
required.

An example: spilling coffee on a business suit.  It's always a disaster.
  If it happens immediately before the meeting with the VP of HR to
discuss your future in the company, it's a major disaster.  If it
happens after the meeting, on the way to the bar to celebrate the raise,
it's a minor disaster.  (Not that the latter has happened to me! <g>)

> but then again, I guess it could be the same as a "major glitch" ,
> another term one hears from time to time....

Glitch, on the other hand, is a very technical term - the sudden change
in period of rotation of a neutron star*.  If that star happened to be
near by, I'd consider it to be a major event.  However, on the other
side of the universe**, it's simply a minor glitch.

But - "a tad oxymoron*ish"???

/Hans
* http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=glitch
** Everyone knows the universe is flat, right?  And therefore has sides.
0
hforbric (98)

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

SqlSpec

Oracle databases on a server

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs
Hello, I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). The database is in archive log mode. The backup is done with : - a "cold backup" every night by the copy of all the files : all the dbf datafiles, control files, redolog file and init file. - There are two exports by day with the tool EXP. I have an another server (sort of backup server) named SRV2 with the same installation of Oracle 8i ; The same instance name, the same paths for the files : .dbf, .ctl, redo and init.ora . I can copy all the files of my cold backup from SRV1 to my second server SRV2 and start the instance with the commande : ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; In this case I have my database in state of the last cold backup. My question is : Can I replay the archived redologs of the day ? Explanation : - I have a cold backup of the last night : 01h00 AM. - My production base crash at 12h00 PM. - From 01h00 AM to 12h00 PM, 20 redologs have been archived and save on a network share. --> If I copy my cold backup (from 01h00) on the second server SRV2 and all the archived redo logs to this server (20 files) can tell to Oracle to replay the archived logs on the cold backup before open it ? I have tried to do a recover database but nothing happen. Is it possible to do it ? Thanks a lot Fabrice Comments embedded. On Jul 8, 12:35=A0pm, Fabrice <t...@test.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). > The database i...

Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database
Hello all Oracle&server experts, what you think about the following setup for Oracle database? HP DL585, 16 GB RAM, 2 dual-core AMD processors, 64-bit Red Hat Linux 4, 64-bit Oracle database software. The disk setup for Oracle data consists of six PCI-X RAID cards with BBWC set to 0 percent read, 100 percent write. Each card has six 146 GB disks on RAID 1+0 setup and one hot spare. 128 kB stripe size is used. Each RAID 1+0 set (about 410 GB) is divided into two logical volumes: 40 GB and 370 GB and these volumes are seen as raw devices at the server. I'm planning to put all six 370 GB raw devices together into one diskgroup using ASM and ASMlib and let ASM stripe the database data (tables, indexes) over them (external redundancy). I'm planning to group the 40 GB volumes into two ASM failgroups (3 volumes each) and then let ASM do striping and mirroring over this diskgroup (normal redundancy). This smaller diskgroup would then store SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. With this setup I get good protection for disk failures for all the data and additional protection against RAID card failures for SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. There is a separate FC connected disk system that will be used for archived redo logs and backups. And separate mirrored disk pairs for OS and Oracle binaries. Does this setup sound feasible? Could I make a better use of the hardware by changing something? The system will be used...

WINODS NT SERVER Oracle
I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, i.e., one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the workarounds. Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. Do same problem exist with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client. Thanks, Prem On 19 Feb 2004 18:38:10 -0800, premmehrotra@hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote: >I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing >the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service >Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop, >i.e., >one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the >workarounds. Because Microsoft is Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't support the BEQ protocol used by Oracle for this purpose. The only lousy workaround is to use set local=<tns service name> prior to connecting to sql*plus in a cmd window. Also you can't use the lsnrctl program to start and stop the listener for the same reason. You need to bounce the service. > >Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console >wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. OEM? It works! Need to save the init.ora on the Oracle Enterprise Management Server, using OEM, but that is about there is. Or dump Microsux T...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

How to connect from web server to Oracle server?
I am converting an applet from Sybase to Oracle and I haven't yet found information on how to accomplish the connect from the end-user's browser-running applet and the Oracle server. Our understanding is that the applet, running on end-users' PC's, can only connect to the web server which "served" the applet to the users' browsers. In our configuration, the Oracle server is a separate machine from the web server. Therefore it would appear that we will need to install some sort of middleware on the web server that will pass the Oracle traffic back and forth between the Oracle server and user's browser sessions. With the Sybase implementation we have been using the Sybase jConnect product, running on our web server, for this purpose. Will we also require such a middleware product with Oracle, and does Oracle offer such a product? Jim wrote: > I am converting an applet from Sybase to Oracle and I haven't yet > found information on how to accomplish the connect from the end-user's > browser-running applet and the Oracle server. > > Our understanding is that the applet, running on end-users' PC's, can > only connect to the web server which "served" the applet to the > users' browsers. > > In our configuration, the Oracle server is a separate machine from the > web server. Therefore it would appear that we will need to install > some sort of middleware on the web server that ...

Know about MSSQL servers oracle server??
MSSQL servers are among the most commonly used servers. But we also know that MSSQL server security is a critical concern for most of the database administrators. This task will become handy with the help of Secure Auditor which is a unified digital risk management solution capable of auditing, enforce compliance, and conduct forensics and penetration tests on the networks. Try its full version from the link http://www.download.com/Secure-Auditor/3000-2653-10826743.html?part=dl-SecureAud&subj=uo&tag=button and do tell me your opinion. alene wrote: > MSSQL servers are among the most commonly used servers. But we also > know that MSSQL server security is a critical concern for most of the > database administrators. This task will become handy with the help of > Secure Auditor which is a unified digital risk management solution > capable of auditing, enforce compliance, and conduct forensics and > penetration tests on the networks. Try its full version from the link > http://www.download.com/Secure-Auditor/3000-2653-10826743.html?part=dl-SecureAud&subj=uo&tag=button > and do tell me your opinion. Ok. My opinion is that you are a spammer. A rude person that insults us while asking us to be a customer. That is a losing proposition as we will never do business with a spammer. And every post you write in violation of your GMAIL Terms of Service Agreement will be sent to abuse@gmail.com until such time as they kill your account. -- Daniel...

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an exercise in frustration. /Hans ...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

move database to new server/directory
Hi, I'm totally new to oracle, only have a bit knowledge of MS- and mysql. I would like to move a database (and if possible all the config) to a new Windows server. I tried exp and imp, but probably it fails as the old server installation points to d:\oradata and d:\orahome_1 while my new standard installation of 10g points to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0. I'd like to keep that as it is obviously default. Can someone please point me what exactly I have to do now? Preferrable using OEM? Thanks, Helmut -- Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99@gmx.de> schreef in bericht news:4s2mntFtugu3U1@mid.individual.net... > Hi, > > I'm totally new to oracle, only have a bit knowledge of MS- and mysql. > > I would like to move a database (and if possible all the config) to a new > Windows server. I tried exp and imp, but probably it fails as the old > server installation points to d:\oradata and d:\orahome_1 while my new > standard installation of 10g points to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0. I'd like > to keep that as it is obviously default. > > Can someone please point me what exactly I have to do now? Preferrable > using OEM? > > Thanks, Helmut > > -- > Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well Hire a DBA for one day? Shakespeare What's in a namespace (xml@ns.com) wrote: > "Helmut Schneider" <jumper...

error while moving database to new server
I need to move a mysql database to a new server. old-server>>mysqldump --all-databases -u root -p > safe.sql new-server>>mysql -u root -p < safe.sql I get an error: ERROR 1449 (HY000) at line 1667: There is no 'lars'@'localhost' registered "lars" was indeed an user on the old installation. What else do I need to do? What's the best way to move the whole db? Users, passwords, views, privilages and all. -- Rahul Rahul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:Xns9C19A16CADAEB6650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@85.214.105.209: > > What else d...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

cannot move the mysql database to a new server
Dear all, I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data files from the old mysql server to the new one. Ao I give the same priviledge to it, .i.e. chown mysql.mysql and chmod 660, in order to give corresponding read/write authority. Also we give priviledge to the user in the mysql database. Anyway, when deleting some data from a table of the database, following error is given as ERROR 1036 : Table 'XXX' is read only. Simon Simon Lee wrote: > Dear all, > > I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data > fi...

Oracle Application Server Internal Server Error
Hello, We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when users try to login to the application. Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start looking? We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do as the patching process keeps failing. Any help would be appreciated. gnscon@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB > back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main > application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a > couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an > "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when > users try to login to the application. > > Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms > ser...

Import Export between Oracle server and cache server
Hi .. Is there any tool / way to shift databases between Oracle database server and InterSystem's Cache database server. I need to export a database from oracle server to cache server with all tables with data, indexes etc. Any help / suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanx ------ Pradeep Kumar Software Enginner ---------------------------------------------------------- What's right isn't always popular, and what's popular isn't always right. ---------------------------------------------------------- ...

Web resources about - moving oracle database server into a new server - comp.databases.oracle.server