new user or new database

I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables.
Which differece is there in the following two approaches ?

1) To create a new user inside the existing DB and make him to import a dump
DB. He should see the dump DB as tables which only that user can own
2) To import the dump DB as new DB, so I would have two DB

thank you for your answers
Ale

0
nemo7910 (10)

The answer is for you to have specific Schema's.

Ale wrote:

> I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables.
> Which differece is there in the following two approaches ?
>
> 1) To create a new user inside the existing DB and make him to import a dump
> DB. He should see the dump DB as tables which only that user can own
> 2) To import the dump DB as new DB, so I would have two DB
>
> thank you for your answers
> Ale

One database ... multiple schemas.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:49:57 +0100, Ale wrote:

> I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables.
> Which differece is there in the following two approaches ?
>
> 1) To create a new user inside the existing DB and make him to import a dump
> DB. He should see the dump DB as tables which only that user can own
> 2) To import the dump DB as new DB, so I would have two DB
>
> thank you for your answers
> Ale

A database may support the tables from many user - users which own
physical resources such as tables are also called schemas. (Not 100%
accurate, but for the sake of discussion ...).

AN instance requires CPU and memory resources, and also requires
management & admin resources (DBA),  just to exist.  Such resources
may be expensive in your environment.

Also consider that a database is closely linked to a set of disk files,
and is accessed thru an instance.  An instance may be turned on or off,
and this becomes a 'unit of maintenance'.  A database also has a certain
basic resource requirement for the system tablespace, the temp and undo
tablespaces, the control & log files, and so on, that exists before even
starting on the user's data.

To answer your question, you basically need to look at your environment:
do you have enough CPU, memory and DBA time to be able to support multiple
concurrent database instances?  And enough disk space to cover the base
disk requirements for each database?

FGB

HELP : Move old database in old machine to new database in new machine
What are the possible upgrade options for the following situations ? From(Old machine) To(New machine) ======================= ================ Oracle 8.0.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.0.6/HP 10.20 Oralce 9i/HP 11.0 Oracle 8.1.5/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.7/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oralce 8i/Solaris 2.6 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 5.8 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 8i Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i A. Background and limitations ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Data size: Vary from a few gigabytes to a few terabytes Down time: A few hours, such as 8 hours. Old/new machines location: Locate in different countries and connected by WAN. B. The way forward ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I am considering the following methods but I am not sure the feasibility and compatibility issues. Your expertise is sought. Method 1 : Export/Import ------------------------ Step 1: Setup the new blank database in new machine. Step 1: Export the data during down time. Step 2: Transfer exported data through the WAN to new machine. Step 3: Import the data to the new database. Concerns 1. I think it is suitable for small volume data because of time constraint. Method 2 : DBUA ------------------------ Step 1: Install both the old/intermediate/new versions in the new machine Step 2: Copy the datafiles to new machine during downtime. Step 3: Startup the old databa...

Trying to restore a database with RMAN in new server and new location of backppieces
Hello, Database: Oracle 10gR2 O/S: Windows Server 2003 My RMAN backuppieces are stored in a network drive: \\old_location\FULL and \\old_location\INC I'm trying to restore a whole database with RMAN in another server from my FULL backup. For that, I copy all backuppieces files from: \\old_location\FULL to new server: D:\new_location\ Also I created the relevant folder hierarchy under <ORACLE_BASE> directory, as follows: a. Create BDUMP, CDUMP, and UDUMP directories under '<ORACLE_ BASE> \admin' directory b. Create <DATABASE_NAME> directory under '<ORACLE_BASE>\oradata' directory c. pfile.ora and controlfile (CTL_MTDPROD_2308_20120401_1.CTL) are backup from original database and they are in D:\new_location\ d. I copied pfile.ora and controlfile to folder: C:\oracle\product \10.2.0\db_1\database\ I started creating an instance in new server from scratch: C:\>oradim -new -sid MTDPROD -intpwd mtdprod C:\> SET ORACLE_SID=MTDPROD C:\> rman RMAN> connect target sys RMAN> SET DBID=21692876873 RMAN> STARTUP force nomount PFILE=C:\oracle\product \10.2.0\db_1\database\init_mtdprod.ora RMAN> restore controlfile from 'C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\database \CTL_MTDPROD_2308_20120401_1.CTL'; RMAN> alter database mount; #Since I want to read my backuppieces from D:\new_location and not from \\old_location\FULL then I catalog and restore like: RMAN> catalog start with 'D:\new_location\'; RMAN&...

Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs
Hello, I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). The database is in archive log mode. The backup is done with : - a "cold backup" every night by the copy of all the files : all the dbf datafiles, control files, redolog file and init file. - There are two exports by day with the tool EXP. I have an another server (sort of backup server) named SRV2 with the same installation of Oracle 8i ; The same instance name, the same paths for the files : .dbf, .ctl, redo and init.ora . I can copy all the files of my cold backup from SRV1 to my second server SRV2 and start the instance with the commande : ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; In this case I have my database in state of the last cold backup. My question is : Can I replay the archived redologs of the day ? Explanation : - I have a cold backup of the last night : 01h00 AM. - My production base crash at 12h00 PM. - From 01h00 AM to 12h00 PM, 20 redologs have been archived and save on a network share. --> If I copy my cold backup (from 01h00) on the second server SRV2 and all the archived redo logs to this server (20 files) can tell to Oracle to replay the archived logs on the cold backup before open it ? I have tried to do a recover database but nothing happen. Is it possible to do it ? Thanks a lot Fabrice Comments embedded. On Jul 8, 12:35=A0pm, Fabrice <t...@test.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). > The database i...

Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database
Hello all Oracle&server experts, what you think about the following setup for Oracle database? HP DL585, 16 GB RAM, 2 dual-core AMD processors, 64-bit Red Hat Linux 4, 64-bit Oracle database software. The disk setup for Oracle data consists of six PCI-X RAID cards with BBWC set to 0 percent read, 100 percent write. Each card has six 146 GB disks on RAID 1+0 setup and one hot spare. 128 kB stripe size is used. Each RAID 1+0 set (about 410 GB) is divided into two logical volumes: 40 GB and 370 GB and these volumes are seen as raw devices at the server. I'm planning to put all six 370 GB raw devices together into one diskgroup using ASM and ASMlib and let ASM stripe the database data (tables, indexes) over them (external redundancy). I'm planning to group the 40 GB volumes into two ASM failgroups (3 volumes each) and then let ASM do striping and mirroring over this diskgroup (normal redundancy). This smaller diskgroup would then store SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. With this setup I get good protection for disk failures for all the data and additional protection against RAID card failures for SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. There is a separate FC connected disk system that will be used for archived redo logs and backups. And separate mirrored disk pairs for OS and Oracle binaries. Does this setup sound feasible? Could I make a better use of the hardware by changing something? The system will be used...

New user accounts and databases
I have protected my MySQL server by setting the root password thus :- SET PASSWORD FOR root = PASSWORD("dummy"); But now do not know how to create new databases under a new user. MySQL is now not allowing me to create new databases. Many thanks in advance, Aaron "Aaron Gray" <ang.usenet@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5tt5bjF1evkphU1@mid.individual.net... >I have protected my MySQL server by setting the root password thus :- > > SET PASSWORD FOR root = PASSWORD("dummy"); > > But now do not know how to create new databa...

Javascript new-new-new-new-newbee

FE database not showing new table added to BE database
Hello All, I've checked around a little on Google (and this group) and have found info similar to what I'm trying to do (i.e., changes that were made in the BE's tables are not reflected in the FE database) and have heard suggestions using code, etcetera. But I need a bit more clarification please. What I'm doing/have done is this (MS Access 2007, FE stored on WXP clients, BE stored on a W2K3 server): My database has been split. A copy of the FE is on each user PC, the BE is stored in shared folder on the server. I've had to (don't ask why please, its one of those things where people don't spend enough time on their biz requirements up front and instead rush to start using a database) add a new table to the system. I added it in the BE file, but when I run the FE, it's not showing up (the other tables from the BE are showing as linked tables with the arrows). I've used the Linked Table Manager in the FE (which isn't available in the BE), but only see the original set of tables from my BE, no mention of the new table that I had to add to the BE. Which brings me to my question, the new table is there in the BE, but its now showing up in the FE's, how can this be accomplished? Is the only way to do this via coding? Rgds, Amit Open the FE. Click on Get External Data. Navigate to your BE and select the missing table. Click Link. You should now see the missing table in your FE. Steve <reelrave@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

move database to new server/directory
Hi, I'm totally new to oracle, only have a bit knowledge of MS- and mysql. I would like to move a database (and if possible all the config) to a new Windows server. I tried exp and imp, but probably it fails as the old server installation points to d:\oradata and d:\orahome_1 while my new standard installation of 10g points to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0. I'd like to keep that as it is obviously default. Can someone please point me what exactly I have to do now? Preferrable using OEM? Thanks, Helmut -- Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99@gmx.de> schreef in bericht news:4s2mntFtugu3U1@mid.individual.net... > Hi, > > I'm totally new to oracle, only have a bit knowledge of MS- and mysql. > > I would like to move a database (and if possible all the config) to a new > Windows server. I tried exp and imp, but probably it fails as the old > server installation points to d:\oradata and d:\orahome_1 while my new > standard installation of 10g points to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0. I'd like > to keep that as it is obviously default. > > Can someone please point me what exactly I have to do now? Preferrable > using OEM? > > Thanks, Helmut > > -- > Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well Hire a DBA for one day? Shakespeare What's in a namespace (xml@ns.com) wrote: > "Helmut Schneider" <jumper...

cannot move the mysql database to a new server
Dear all, I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data files from the old mysql server to the new one. Ao I give the same priviledge to it, .i.e. chown mysql.mysql and chmod 660, in order to give corresponding read/write authority. Also we give priviledge to the user in the mysql database. Anyway, when deleting some data from a table of the database, following error is given as ERROR 1036 : Table 'XXX' is read only. Simon Simon Lee wrote: > Dear all, > > I just reinstall the redhat 8. For convienience, I just copy all the data > fi...

error while moving database to new server
I need to move a mysql database to a new server. old-server>>mysqldump --all-databases -u root -p > safe.sql new-server>>mysql -u root -p < safe.sql I get an error: ERROR 1449 (HY000) at line 1667: There is no 'lars'@'localhost' registered "lars" was indeed an user on the old installation. What else do I need to do? What's the best way to move the whole db? Users, passwords, views, privilages and all. -- Rahul Rahul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:Xns9C19A16CADAEB6650A1FC0D7811DDBC81@85.214.105.209: > > What else d...

Oracle database move to a new machine
I have: old machine 1: /u01/app/oracle/oradata/DB1/ *.dbf files *.ctl files Oracle Database Release 9.0.1.3.0 new machine 2: /u01/app/oracle/product/primary/oradata/DB1/ *.dbf *.ctl Oracle Database Release 9.2.0.1.0 I just set up Oracle on the new machine. What is the easiest and safest way to move the dbf and ctl files from the old machine and directory to the new one? Can this be done or am I going to have to whip up the old exp/imp tools? Thanks I am very familiar with the initSIDXXX.ora but what is the spfileSIDXXXX.ora file? Thanks v5034 wrote: > I have: > > old machine 1: > /u01/app/oracle/oradata/DB1/ > *.dbf files > *.ctl files > Oracle Database Release 9.0.1.3.0 > > new machine 2: > /u01/app/oracle/product/primary/oradata/DB1/ > *.dbf > *.ctl > Oracle Database Release 9.2.0.1.0 > > > I just set up Oracle on the new machine. What is the easiest and safest > way to move the dbf and ctl files from the old machine and directory to > the new one? Can this be done or am I going to have to whip up the old > exp/imp tools? > > Thanks > v5034 wrote: > > I am very familiar with the initSIDXXX.ora but what is the > spfileSIDXXXX.ora file? > > Thanks > The replacement in the new world. Always stored on the server. Allows changing [most] parms 'remotely'. Don't edit it! It's a 'binary' file & edits can easily made the database unusable....

Migrating mysql database to a new Server
hi, Appreciate if anyone could help:- I took over a web maintenance but i am new to mysql. We are migrating the mysql database from a old server to a new server with newer version of mysql than the old server. The problem is i don't know how to migrate the database and the previous guy did not leave down the sql root password. Any help is apreciated. Thanks. Regards, Terence ...

copying database structure to new database with different tablespace names
Oracle 8.1.7 windows 2000 server I need to create a second database with the same structure as the current one (no users roles or grants). new instance, new database name and different tablespace names. Is ther a logical. practical way to do this? thanks Mick michael cooke wrote: > Oracle 8.1.7 > windows 2000 server > I need to create a second database with the same structure as the current > one (no users roles or grants). new instance, new database name and > different tablespace names. Is ther a logical. practical way to do this? > > thanks > Mick Depends on what you mean by your use of the word 'database'. If you really mean schema ... export / import. If you mean another database ... transportable tablespaces, export / import, database_link, advanced replication. You've provided far too little information from which to formulate much of a response. Unless the point of this request is fail-over I'd review Cobb's rules of normalization. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) > Unless the point of this request is fail-over I'd review Cobb's rules of > normalization. Cobb????? Must be a corny joke. Cheers, Brian -- =================================================================== Brian Peasland dba@remove_spam.peasland.com Rem...

How to move Oracle database to a new machine?
Hi all Oracle DBA experts, At work we have an Oracle 8i on Unix with a small amount of user data (less than 10 tables and the largest table has about 4000 records). I need to move this database to a new machine. The database has no active transactions so I can shut it down whenever I need to. I have textbook knowledge on how to do this but the only hands-on experience I have is installing Oracle8i on a PC. So I really need your help. My plan is to make a closed database backup, install Oracle8i on the new machine, then restore the database file. I've read some documentation, but I want to be sure that I understand the proper way to do this before I begin? Here are a couple alternatives I see: Plan One. a. SQL>shutdown normal; b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password file, parameter file). c. install oracle8i on the new machine d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is shut down e. SQL>startup pfile=init.ora; Plan Two: a. SQL>shutdown normal; b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password file, parameter file). c. install oracle8i on the new machine d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is shut down e. SQL>startup mount pfile=init.ora; f. SQL>recover database; g. SQL>alter database open; Plan Three: Is it easier to do this using Export/Import utility? The database currently is set in Archivelog mode. But there will be no loss of da...

Transfer database to new server
Hi Everybody, I'm new in Oracle and want to know what is the easiest way to transfer a database from one server to another server, We have one development server and I want to transfer all database with users, accounts, permissions and data from this development server to a demo server, with same database name and everything, I haven't install Oracle in new demo server yet, and I like to know, after I install Oracle in the new server what is the easiest approach to transfer exact database to that machine? backup? or import/export or maybe copy data files? Data inside of this database is not very important and server can shutdown/restart for a while, And database is Oracle 10g. Thank you in advance - Sam On Mon, 22 May 2006 22:00:31 GMT, "Sam" <sasan.raisdana@mobidia.com> wrote: >Hi Everybody, >I'm new in Oracle and want to know what is the easiest way to transfer a >database from one server to another server, > >We have one development server and I want to transfer all database with >users, accounts, permissions and data from this development server to a demo >server, with same database name and everything, I haven't install Oracle in >new demo server yet, and I like to know, after I install Oracle in the new >server >what is the easiest approach to transfer exact database to that machine? >backup? or import/export or maybe copy data files? >Data inside of this database is not very important and serv...

Restore databases into a new installation of SQL Server
Hi, I want to restore my databases from the old SQL Server installation into a new installation of SQL Server. My new installation of SQL Server has different data path from the old installation. In addition, the data owners of some databases in the old SQL Server installation are not dbo. I have backups for all the databases in the old installation SQL Server. Can anyone tell me how to restore my databases from the old SQL Server installation into a new installation of SQL Server for my case? (I want to use new path for data and log files as well as keep the old data owners in the restored ...

restart replication on new database copied from old database without full refresh
New Database. Structure created with db2look. Data for all Tables filled with load from original Database. Need for Replication to go on without full refresh. Database UDB8.1 on Win2000 Any help? Thanks Klemens ...

New User With A New Question
First I want to thank those who responded to my previous question. I have managed to complete all 3 views. Now I am in the process of modifying the drawing. I am going along just fine when I lost the whole drawing. The drawing is there as if I go to Print Preview I can see it. But I can not get it on my screen at all. I have scrolled up and down and left and right without success. Also I am unable to have my pointer show in the drawing space. I have saved the drawing, closed AutoCad and then reopened the drawing and the same conditions exist. I am sure this is caused by something I did but for the life of me I am unable to determine what that was. This is not covered in my manual. I am using AutoCad LT 98. Thanks for any and all help In a previous post mike says... > But I can not get it on my screen at all. I have scrolled up and down > and left and right without success. Also I am unable to have my pointer > show in the drawing space. I have saved the drawing, closed AutoCad and > then reopened the drawing and the same conditions exist. I am sure this > is caused by something I did but for the life of me I am unable to > determine what that was. > Mike: I suspect you may have a stray entity way out in space from your drawing. Try this: Type LIST then choose "Select All Entities" hit ENTER you will get a list of the entities in your drawing and their coordinates. See if you can determine if there are ...

Using Oracle Replication To Move A New Production Database
We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save" message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at our hosting facility. A decision has been made by management to move the production data to a new database before year end. Since we are a credit card processing company, the database is available 24 by 7. We have created test database on the production server and moved the data over via export/import to see if we could duplicate the problem. The problem did not manifest itself. At this point, management would like to find the fastest way to rebuild 100GB database. It is important that we keep downtime less than 6 hours. Based on the research I have done so far, replication may be our best option. A new database can be created and offline instatiantions can be made of all the schema's required for the application. It is not our intention to replicate all of our tables, just the dynamic ones. Once the new database has completed the instantiation and synced with production, we can begin testing the new database. After testing successfully completes, we can schedule a cutover date. From what I...

Re: Database Migration to new server
No these tools are not free .... QALoad is from Compuware (this is good for homegrown applications) ... and LoadRunner is from Mercury Interactive (this is very good for Internet applications). HTH Thanx much, Rajib Sarkar Advisory Software Engineer (RAS) IBM Data Management Group Ph : (602)-217-2100 Fax: (602)-217-2100 T/L : 667-2100 As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it -- Mahatma Gandhi kalpanapai@hotmai l.com To: informix-list@iiug.org (KalpanaPai) cc: Sent by: Subject: Re: Database Migration to new server - Any suggestions Urgent owner-informix-li st@iiug.org ...

Web resources about - new user or new database - comp.databases.oracle.server