Oracle 10g-Embedded Database available??

Does Embedded version of Database exist in Oracle 10g(like Solid
Embedded Database)?
If yes, I would like to know the impacts on the users' code, if we move
from Oracle 10g normal RDBMS to the Oracle 10g embedded database. What
are the adaptations necessary?

0
qazmlp1209 (247)

I think that you're referring to licensing issues, meaning an
application specific limited use or application specific full use
license.
Check with your Oracle salesperson.
I'd direct you to the licensing guide, but store.oracle.com is
apparently offline for maintenance.

-bdbafh

0
bdbafh (710)
10/8/2005 5:54:28 PM
bdbafh@gmail.com wrote:
> I think that you're referring to licensing issues, meaning an
> application specific limited use or application specific full use
> license.

No, I do not refer to the licensing issues. Probably, you are not aware
of what exactly 'embedded database' means. Please check
http://www.daffodildb.com/embeddeddatabase.html
In general, Embedded Databases do not run as separate processes, but
are directly linked into the application requiring access to the stored
data.

I would like to know whether Oracle also releases any such embedded
database.

0
qazmlp1209 (247)
10/9/2005 12:28:21 PM
qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com wrote:
> bdbafh@gmail.com wrote:
> > I think that you're referring to licensing issues, meaning an
> > application specific limited use or application specific full use
> > license.
>
> No, I do not refer to the licensing issues. Probably, you are not aware
> of what exactly 'embedded database' means. Please check
> http://www.daffodildb.com/embeddeddatabase.html
> In general, Embedded Databases do not run as separate processes, but
> are directly linked into the application requiring access to the stored
> data.
>
> I would like to know whether Oracle also releases any such embedded
> database.

Well you apparently didn't read very far into the url that you cited.

The Embedded Database fray includes enterprise players like Microsoft
Corp., who started shipping their SQL Server 2000 with a small
footprint of 1MB and Oracle Corp. with their Oracle Database 10g
targeted at the embedded market.

"Directly linked into the application" ... now that's a bizarre and
meaningless sentence.

My sentence "Hidden and requiring little if any administrator
attention" might be a better concept.

Yes Oracle does do the embedded database thing.  As someone else
already pointed out, it IS mostly a licensing thing.  EMC for instance
embeds an oracle database into their control center.  Lots of example's
if you dig very far.

Does that help with what you are considering?

0
johnbhurley (2707)
10/9/2005 1:03:36 PM
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:28:27 -0700, qazmlp1209 interested us by writing:

> Does Embedded version of Database exist in Oracle 10g(like Solid
> Embedded Database)?
> If yes, I would like to know the impacts on the users' code, if we move
> from Oracle 10g normal RDBMS to the Oracle 10g embedded database. What
> are the adaptations necessary?

As others have indicated, you need to cleanly define the term 'embedded'.

One variant is an exposed engine that you can compile into your
application.  That is something the traditional Oracle RDBMS no longer
makes available.  (Years ago you had a choice of compiling in the kernel
or using the 'two task' communications facility, and there were stringent
warnings and gotchas around the single task variant.)

  This variant can almost be accomplished using Oracle Database 10g Lite,
  and I project it could again become available with the newly announced
  purchase of INNO db engine.

  If this is your target right now, I've heard some good comments about
  db.* (http://www.ittia.com/dbstar/dbstar.html).  However, note that many
  embedded solutions totally ignore administration and a DBA, and IMO
  eventually run into related troubles as few developer will 'go that far'
  in the app.

The other major variant is to include the Oracle RDBMS in 'your
application package', and that is strictly a license negotiation with
Oracle.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

News.Hans (974)

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Oracle Database 10g SQL book now available
Oracle Database 10g SQL (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by Jason Price, Lisa McClain McGraw-Hill This book takes you from novice to master, covering how to use the new Oracle Database 10g SQL and the Oracle extensions to SQL. The examples feature the sample schemas available with the new Oracle Database 10g. Free code will be made available for download. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072229810/qid=1078451791/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8717549-7012108?v=glance&s=books name wrote: > Oracle Database 10g SQL (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) > by Jason Price, Lisa McClain > McGraw-Hill > > This book takes you from novice to master, covering how to use the new > Oracle Database 10g SQL and the Oracle extensions to SQL. The examples > feature the sample schemas available with the new Oracle Database 10g. > Free code will be made available for download. > > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072229810/qid=1078451791/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-8717549-7012108?v=glance&s=books Thank you for spamming us. Are you aware of the fact that your spam is counter to stated policies at both McGraw Hill-Oracle Press and Amazon.com? You owe us an apology and you owe them an apology for violating their rules which leads me to wonder who you are that you feel it appropriate to spam us to promote a commercial product in violation of the vendor's own rules. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_c...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each section in the tutorial covers topics such as concepts, design, required software, setup and application usage. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/74/2/opt-dev/?12788#12788 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2004 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Oracle databases on a server

Oracle Database 10g. When ?
Hi I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g Thanks Javier Villegas wrote: >Hi > >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g > >Thanks > > > If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it is released. And given that no software company is going to stick its neck out and commit to a specific date in advance ... you'll just have to learn patience. About all I can tell you is that from my experience it blows 9i away and when compared with its competition from other vensors is amazing. Especially if you don' treat a database as just a hyped up version of an Excel spreadsheet. The only thing Oracle needs to do to make 10g a huge success is change its pricing model and stop treating the database as though it consists of nothing but columns and rows. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1064985017.992531@yasure>... > Javier Villegas wrote: > > >Hi > > > >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g > > > >Thanks > > > > > > > If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it > is released. > > And given th...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

Oracle(r) Database 10g Release 2 Outperforms Microsoft SQL Server 2005 in Head-to-Head Comparison
Third Party Study Proves Oracle Database Can Deliver Substantial Savings Over Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Read Full Detail at http://technology-post.com/tech/?p=516 ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

AWR in oracle database 10g
Hi All, I would like to know if AWR (Automatic Workload Repository) in oracle database 10g is an enhanced version of statspack tightly integrated with the database or it is more than that? Many Thanks, KDB itzkdb@rediffmail.com (KDB) writes: > Hi All, > I would like to know if AWR (Automatic Workload Repository) in > oracle database 10g is an enhanced version of statspack tightly > integrated with the database or it is more than that? > From the 10g concepts guide: "Automatic Workload Repository (AWR) is a built-in repository in every Oracle Database. At regular intervals, the Oracle Database makes a snapshot of all its vital statistics and workload information and stores them in AWR." It's a completely new feature. Harald ...

Cannot connect to Oracle 10g database
From SQL PLus, I cannot connect to our Oracle 10g database. The following errors shows up in the SQL-Plus. ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The same error comes even after a day, the database had been started. Database start fine without any errors, when it is started from Services. The emoms.log shows the following errors. 2008-04-22 17:28:20,234 [HttpRequestHandler-24044524] ERROR conn.ConnectionService verifyRepositoryEx.434 - Invalid Connection Pool. ERROR = Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=support- db3.actuate.com)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl10g))) 2008-04-22 17:28:20,250 [HttpRequestHandler-24044524] ERROR eml.OMSHandshake getParameterFromDB.563 - Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=support- db3.actuate.com)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl10g))) 2008-04-22 17:28:20,250 [HttpRequestHandler-24044524] ERROR eml.OMSHandshake processFailure.780 - OMSHandshake failed.(AGENT URL = http://support-db3.actuate.com:3938/emd/main)(ERROR = INTERNAL_ERROR) 20...

Oracle database release after 10g?
hi Does anybody have information regarding what the future database release plans after 10gR2? Regards Why so eager? "Hari Vetsa" <hari.vetsa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150219929.005130.120520@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > hi > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > release plans after 10gR2? > > Regards > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:32:09 -0700, Hari Vetsa wrote: > hi > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > release plans after 10gR2? > It will be mauve in color. -- http://www.mgogala.com Mladen Gogala wrote: > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:32:09 -0700, Hari Vetsa wrote: > > > hi > > > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > > release plans after 10gR2? > > > > It will be mauve in color. > > -- > http://www.mgogala.com Database will have nose piercings and tattoos and would allow SQL written in IM speak only. Hari Vetsa wrote: > hi > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > release plans after 10gR2? Many of us are expecting that Oracle will announce something at Open World this fall. There are some unubstantiated rumours that "pre beta" quality 11 stuff may already be circulating. They may only announce that 11 is not yet ready to beta, there may be some hints about some of what will be included, who knows? If t...

oracle 10g database on laptop
I've installed Oracle 10g Personal database on my laptop. I did that hadn't been connected to the network. The database installed properly. I could even start Enterprise Manager. Then I took my laptop to the company and connected it to LAN where I dynamically get private IP address. After that my Oracle 10g database is working (I can ran PLSQL etc) but my Enterprise Manager doesn't want to start. Could you advice me how to configure my database (listener, tnsnames) to use EM in both situations? Do I need two listeners? Regards adam Hi Adam, to help you we need more information. Which OS did you use. How did you try to start Enterprise manager? emctl dbconsole start !? You are aware that you need a browser to connect to EM via http://your_server:5505/em/ ? I suppose you are using Windows, in this case i can't help you. regards, Toni In article <11c2a61f.0404270059.586a33c3@posting.google.com>, adamjz <adamjz@klub.chip.pl> wrote: > I've installed Oracle 10g Personal database on my laptop. I did that > hadn't been connected to the network. The database installed properly. > I could even start Enterprise Manager. > Then I took my laptop to the company and connected it to LAN where I > dynamically get private IP address. After that my Oracle 10g database > is working (I can ran PLSQL etc) but my Enterprise Manager doesn't > want to start. > Could you advice me how to configure my database (listener, tnsna...

Web resources about - Oracle 10g-Embedded Database available?? - comp.databases.oracle.server