Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database

Hi all,

Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the
Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client.
The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native
OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine.
Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything
wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was
but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client
communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very
straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls
that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

0
nick6539 (9)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote:

>Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the
>Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client.
>The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native
>OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine.
>Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything
>wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was
>but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client
>communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very
>straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls
>that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI.

 This is valid and supported; for instance the Upgrade Guide says:

"Upgrade Clients to the Current Release

You can upgrade any or all of your Oracle8i, Oracle9i, or Oracle Database 10g
clients to the new Oracle Database 10g release. The Oracle Database 10g client
can be used to access your Oracle8i, Oracle 9i, and Oracle 10g databases."

 Whether cross-version connections are as widely tested as same-to-same version
connections is another matter, but it's offically _meant_ to be OK,
particularly with a higher version client. Personally I've not had any problems
running various 10g clients into a 9i database, using OCI and JDBC.

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool

Nick

"Andy Hassall" <andy@andyh.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the
>>Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g
>>client.
>>The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only
>>native
>>OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine.
>>Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there
>>anything
>>wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was
>>but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client
>>communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very
>>straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI
>>calls
>>that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI.
>
> This is valid and supported; for instance the Upgrade Guide says:
>
> "Upgrade Clients to the Current Release
>
> You can upgrade any or all of your Oracle8i, Oracle9i, or Oracle Database
> 10g
> clients to the new Oracle Database 10g release. The Oracle Database 10g
> client
> can be used to access your Oracle8i, Oracle 9i, and Oracle 10g databases."
>
> Whether cross-version connections are as widely tested as same-to-same
> version
> connections is another matter, but it's offically _meant_ to be OK,
> particularly with a higher version client. Personally I've not had any
> problems
> running various 10g clients into a 9i database, using OCI and JDBC.
>
> --
> Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
> http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool

0
nick6539 (9)

Web resources about - Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database - comp.databases.oracle.server

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...