Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database

Hi all,

Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the
Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client.
The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native
OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine.
Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything
wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was
but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client
communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very
straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls
that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

0
nick6539 (9)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote:

>Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the
>Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client.
>The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native
>OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine.
>Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything
>wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was
>but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client
>communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very
>straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls
>that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI.

 This is valid and supported; for instance the Upgrade Guide says:

"Upgrade Clients to the Current Release

You can upgrade any or all of your Oracle8i, Oracle9i, or Oracle Database 10g
clients to the new Oracle Database 10g release. The Oracle Database 10g client
can be used to access your Oracle8i, Oracle 9i, and Oracle 10g databases."

 Whether cross-version connections are as widely tested as same-to-same version
connections is another matter, but it's offically _meant_ to be OK,
particularly with a higher version client. Personally I've not had any problems
running various 10g clients into a 9i database, using OCI and JDBC.

--
Andy Hassall :: andy@andyh.co.uk :: http://www.andyh.co.uk
http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space :: disk and FTP usage analysis tool

Nick