Oracle 64 bits and 32 bits oracle applications mix on same machine ?

We used to run solaris 2.6 (32 bits) and oracle 32 bits on older machines.
I'm new in the 64 bits world on solaris.

I just bought a new sun server (SPARC III) and I plan to run solaris 9 on
it, in 64 bits mode,
which I think is the default (Can anyone confirm this ?)

Does anyone know if it is possible on the same server, which is running in
solaris 64 bits mode,
and oracle 64 bits version, to run other oracle apps in 32 bits mode ?

For example, suppose I have an oracle 64 bits instance running on the server
and I have some "legacy"
oracle applications that were compiled in 32 bit mode running (Ex: webforms
server, old OCI apps) and I
don't have the source and I cannot recompile them.

Would those 32 bits application run OK ?

Also, I've heard that unless you REALLY NEED it (For HUGE SGA for example)
you better stick
with oracle 32 bits because it performs better. Is that true ?

Thanks

Without going into too much detail:

1.  Install 64-bit Solaris.
2.  You can run 32-bit Oracle on 64-bit Solaris...this is very very
common.
3.  There is no "32-bit" mode as far as Oracle is concerned. Just
stick in the 32-bit version of the software, install, and do your work
normally.

Hope this helps.
norwoodthree@my-deja.com (NorwoodThree) wrote in message news:<ba03e2c.0310311021.7c21ae21@posting.google.com>...
> Without going into too much detail:
>
> 1.  Install 64-bit Solaris.
> 2.  You can run 32-bit Oracle on 64-bit Solaris...this is very very
> common.
> 3.  There is no "32-bit" mode as far as Oracle is concerned. Just
> stick in the 32-bit version of the software, install, and do your work
> normally.
>
> Hope this helps.

We have 64 bit Oracle on AIX 4.3.3 and we ran into some kind of
problem with 64 bit programs.  My partner set a compile option to
generate 32 bit executibles that allowed the Pro*C programs to be
compiled and run successfully without having to update the programs to
be 64 bit.

I am not sure this is of interest but depending on the tool set there
are some switches/options/parameters that allow mixing of 32 bit
applications with 64 bit Oracle binaries.

-- Mark D Powell --
0
Mark.Powell (1630)

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other ...

Oracle 8.1.7 32-Bit to Oracle 8.1.7 64-Bit
Hi I would much appreciate help We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Is the only way of extracting/inmporting the data via the exp/imp utitlity due to the change in bits? Is there any other way? Thanks Bob Bob wrote: > Hi I would much appreciate help > > We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX > 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Hi, a) Do you want to upgrade Oracle-Software from 32bit to 64bit? On Solaris, I know 32bit ...

ORACLE 64 Bit Client and 32 Bit Server
I have on Client(Windows XP 64-bit) and a Server(WinXP 32-bit with Oracle 9.00.11.00). This Problem is the ODBC-Driver on the Client-side. The Client has a Application(32-bit emualtion!!!). Which version from Oracle Client and ODBC-Driver must install?? ...

Oracle 9i RAC (or 10g)
Mixing 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clustered DB servers (i.e. 9i RAC or 10g) - does anybody have experience with it? Any OS, any platform. Marco Ippolito wrote: > > Mixing 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clustered DB servers (i.e. 9i RAC or 10g) - > does anybody have experience with it? Any OS, any platform. IIRC, your word size needs to be the same on all of your RAC nodes. Why do you want to mix them anyway? HTH, Brian -- =================================================================== Brian Peasland dba@remove_spam.peasland.com Remove the "remove_spam." from the e...

Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server
Hi, I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and 64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP- UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before? If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to configure the same. Thanks in advance. Deepak. ...

upgrade oracle 32-bit 9204 apps database to 64-bit 9207
I'am in the process of upgrading my 32-bit 9204 apps database to 64-bit 9207. Just wanted to make sure i covered everything. 1) Install 9201 64-bit 2) apply 64bit 9207 on it. 3) Copy init.ora and orapwd file to new Oracle home 4) startup migrate (with _system_trig_enabled = FALSE) 5) run @utlip.sql 6) download patch 1994933 and run rmsro.sql, call rmsro.run(); & invalidate.sql 7) create or replace java system; 8) @catpatch.sql 9) utlrp.sql 10) shutdown and restart (after removing setting _system_trig_enabled = TRUE) 10) copy appsutil from 32-bit 9204 to 64-bit 9207 home and run per...

Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server
Hi, I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and 64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP- UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before? If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to configure the same. Thanks in advance. Deepak. ...

Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server
Hi, I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and 64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP- UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before? If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to configure the same. Thanks in advance. Deepak. On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollipara@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, > >I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and >64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some...

Oracle 9i client install
Running AIX 5.1L on an old PowerPC (PPS model 7248). Have bos.64bit installed. Unable to get Oracle 9i client utilitiesprograms to work. Get errors exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./sqlplus because of the following errors: 0509-032 Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine. Should Oracle 9i client work on older RS-6000 hardware? Am getting by via Oracle 8i client, but am trying to run a pure '9i' environment. Any ideas? Andrew, I think you need to link to the 64-bit kernel, because the Oracle 9 kernel extensions are only 64 bit, check with "prtconf&q...

32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle
I am about to update Oracle from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0 on a Sun E3500 running Solaris 7. If I have the chance to choose, should I prefer the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit version? Would anyone explain the difference in general, and perhaps in the particular case of Oracle? The machine has 2 GB and won't ever get more. By the way, if if booting kernel/unix (32 bit Kernel), will any 64 bit software still run? We have had a case the other way around: A special software won't run properly if booting the 64 bit Kernel. Thanks in advance Rick Denoire In article <7kc9uvop07odr9k0heb...

Oracle 9i Client AIX Installation Problem
Running AIX 5.1L on an old PowerPC. Have bos.64bit installed. Unable to get Oracle 9i client programs to work. Get errors exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./sqlplus because of the following errors: 0509-032 Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine. Should Oracle 9i client work on older RS-6000 hardware? Am able to install and run Oracle 8i client. Any reason why I should not just give up and use what works? Thanks .... ...

Oracle Client for 32 bit and 64 bit coexist
Dear Experts, We met an issue with Oracle client, and hope you could give us some advice. On our Windows 2003 64 bit servers, currently we have Oracle Client 32 bit installed using by an application. However, running our MS.NET programs on x64 Windows require Oracle client for 64 bit installed. Otherwise, an error would be given: "Exception: Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed." Is that possible to install both 32 bit Oracle client and 64 bit Oracle client on the same server so that different programs could talk to different Oracle clients? Or any other solutions would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot, P.L. P.L. wrote: > Dear Experts, > > We met an issue with Oracle client, and hope you could give us some > advice. > > On our Windows 2003 64 bit servers, currently we have Oracle Client 32 > bit installed using by an application. However, running our MS.NET > programs on x64 Windows require Oracle client for 64 bit installed. > Otherwise, an error would be given: > > "Exception: Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw > BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 > bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed." > > Is that possible to install both 32 bit Oracle client and 64 bit &...

Linking 32-bit and 64 bit oracle library
Hi , I am creating two libraries using Pro*c , one which uses Oracle client 8.0.5 and the other uses Oracle 10.2.0.1.0(In their own environment) . The 8.0.5 library is a 32 bit , and 10g's library is 64 bit library(uses -xarch=v9 flag while compiling) when I include these libraries as USRLIBS I get errors like : ld: fatal: file pro_10.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 Is there any way to convery the 32 bit library to 64 or vice versa ? Thanks ! abhi147@gmail.com wrote: > I am creating two libraries using Pro*c , one which uses Oracle > client 8.0.5 and the other uses Oracle...

32 bit oracle on Solaris 9 64 bits ?
I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it in 64 bits mode, which I think is the default when you install (Can anyone confirm this ?) Should I run oracle 64 bits edition on it, or would oracle 32 bits edition run just fine ? I heard that the 64 bit edition was slower and I don't need a HUGE SGA, and I will probably have older 32 bit oracle OCI apps running that I cannot recompile. Is there a HUGE performance penalty in running 32 bits apps on solaris 64 bits ? Thanks On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Guy Dallaire wrote: > I just bought a new sun server (280R) an...

32 bit oracle on Solaris 9 64 bits ?
I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it in 64 bits mode, which I think is the default when you install (Can anyone confirm this ?) Should I run oracle 64 bits edition on it, or would oracle 32 bits edition run just fine ? I heard that the 64 bit edition was slower and I don't need a HUGE SGA, and I will probably have older 32 bit oracle OCI apps running that I cannot recompile. Is there a HUGE performance penalty in running 32 bits apps on solaris 64 bits ? Thanks Comments inline. > I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9...

Oracle 10g on W2k3
I'm looking at speccing out new server hardware. We want to move to 10.2. Any reason not to use the 64 bit OS instead of the 32 bit version? Anybody here using 10.2 on Windows 64 bit? Comments? Observations? Smallish to mediumish database. Our network administrators are mostly Windows, so hosting on Linux or U*ix is probably a non starter. The advantages of sticking with the 32 bit version is that it's not "new" - we have a base of W2k3 32 bit boxen, so from an OS care and feeding perspective it's just another box in the rack just like the others. The advantag...

32 bit Oracle RDBMS on 64 bit OS?
I see from the Oracle certification matrix that they do not certify running a 32-bit installation of Oracle database against a 64 bit operating system. But does anyone know whether this can be done, would it/could it work? I was thinking about running 32 bit 10g standard edition on a 64 bit Windows OS (Windows8). Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks, Dan On Sep 8, 3:00=A0pm, Dan <daniel.oster...@visaer.com> wrote: > I see from the Oracle certification matrix that they do not certify > running a 32-bit installation of Oracle database against a 64 bit > operating system. =A0 But does anyone know whether this can be done, > would it/could it work? =A0I was thinking about running 32 bit 10g > standard edition on a 64 bit Windows OS (Windows8). > > Does anyone have any knowledge on this? > > Thanks, > Dan I currently have 10g XE 32-bit running on 64-bit Windows7 without issue. It appears that 10g XE isn't available in 64-bit, and 11g XE isn't available in 64-bit for "Winders". David Fitzjarrell On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:00:23 -0700, Dan wrote: > I see from the Oracle certification matrix that they do not certify > running a 32-bit installation of Oracle database against a 64 bit > operating system. But does anyone know whether this can be done, would > it/could it work? I was thinking about running 32 bit 10g standard > edition on a 64 bit Windows OS (Windows8). > > Does anyone have a...

Oracle Client for 32 bit and 64 bit coexist
Dear Experts, We met an issue with Oracle client, and hope you could give us some advice. On our Windows 2003 64 bit servers, currently we have Oracle Client 32 bit installed using by an application. However, running our MS.NET programs on x64 Windows require Oracle client for 64 bit installed. Otherwise, an error would be given: "Exception: Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed." Is that possible to install both 32 bit Oracle clien...

Linking 32-bit and 64 bit oracle library #2
Hi , I am creating two libraries using Pro*c , one which uses Oracle client 8.0.5 and the other uses Oracle 10.2.0.1.0(In their own environment) . The 8.0.5 library is a 32 bit , and 10g's library is 64 bit library(uses -xarch=v9 flag while compiling) when I include these libraries as USRLIBS I get errors like : ld: fatal: file pro_10.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 Is there any way to convert the 32 bit library to 64 or vice versa ? Thanks ! ...

RHEL AS 4 + Oracle 10g : 32-bit or 64-bit ?
Both RHEL AS 4 and Oracle 10g for Linux exist in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Suppose we have 64-bit x86 compatible hardware, what would be the advantages of choosing 64-bit OS and Oracle instead of 32-bit ? We don't need a bigger than 1GB SGA, so are there any other advantages regarding performance ? Any online tests/benchmarks somewhere ? Matthias Matthias Hoys wrote: > of choosing 64-bit OS and Oracle instead of 32-bit ? We don't need a bigger > than 1GB SGA, so are there any other advantages regarding performance ? Any > online tests/benchmarks somewhere ? maybe h...

Relative Oracle performance on 32-bit and 64-bit AIX 5.x
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone here has compared Oracle 9i performance on 32-bit and 64-bit AIX 5.x? I'm currently running everything on 32-bit and am wondering if there is any compelling reason to move to 64-bit? Besides a potentially larger memory access, I cannot see any good reason. If you have pointers to any websites on the above, that would interest me tremendously as well. Thanks and best regards. Rom Marshall ...

32 bit External procedures (DLL) on 64 bit Oracle/Windows 3000
Hi Can an external procedure developed in a 32 bit environment (Win XP, Delphi 5, Oracle 9.2) be deployed in 64 bit environment (Windows 3000 Server Entr. / Oracle 9.2 - both 64 bit)? I did get the external procedure to work in the 32 bit environment, but when it's deployed in the 64 bit environment i get: ORA-06520: PL/SQL: Fejl ved indl=E6sning af eksternt bibliotek <above is in Danish - sorry about that!> ORA-06522: Unable to load DLL Now, there seems to be something like a trillion things that can go wrong when you try to get an external procedure to work, ...

Use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris?
Hi All, I have to compare 64 bit 9.2 versus 32 bit 9.2 to see what is the pros and cons for upgrading to which version for my work's production database. My question is will I be able to use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris? Let me tell you what happen? I( my work) open a TAR on this topic, but the metalink analyst say one thing, and the oracle instructor say another thing? ============================================================== Question for Metalink: We are planning to upgrade from 8i to 9i and are interested in using the new Dynamic SGA...

Clone a 10gR2 database running on 64 bit server to 32 bit server
I Have to clone a 10gR2 database running on 64 bit server to 32 bit server. Details: we have HOT backup of last night. Database running on Red hat Linux 4. DB version : 10.2.0.2. Any suggestions are appreciated. is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? regards srivenu On Sep 9, 11:27=A0am, sriv...@hotmail.com wrote: > is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? > regards > srivenu The server has 32 bit binaries. On Sep 9, 12:32=A0pm, amr <maheshn...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sep 9, 11:27=A0am, sriv...@hotmail.com wrote: > > > is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? >...

Web resources about - Oracle 64 bits and 32 bits oracle applications mix on same machine ? - comp.databases.oracle.server

Patent application shows how Apple Watch could measure ambient sound to adjust volume of iPhone alerts ...
iPhones could in future automatically sound louder or quieter notification alerts depending on the level of background noise. A patent application ...

eHosting DataFort to provide next generation data centre services with its Cisco Application-Centric ...
Al-Bawaba eHosting DataFort to provide next generation data centre services with its Cisco Application-Centric Infrastructure ... Al-Bawaba ...

NASA just smashed its record for astronaut applications—18,000+
... excitement about the future of NASA, with the space shuttle soon to debut, was palpable. So when the space agency called for astronaut applications, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 27% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 4.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications down 4.3%
A very slight inch higher in interest rates caused a more than slight drop in mortgage application volume.

European Central Bank Exploring Blockchain Tech Applications
In a new report, the European Central Bank (ECB) has said it is investigating blockchain use within its securities and payments settlement systems. ...

Bjarke Ingels impressed by graduate's video job application
BIG founder Bjarke Ingels says he is "honestly impressed" by young job applicant Étienne Duval, whose covering letter is an animated rap that ...

ARM unveils Cortex-A32 processor for embedded and IoT applications
ARM has announced the Cortex-A32 processor IP designed for 32-bit embedded and IoT applications.

Manhattan Community Board Applications Up This Year, With Harlem at the Top
Community&nbsp;Board 10 received more&nbsp;applications than&nbsp;last year&#39;s leader, Community Board 7.