Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0) Install link errors

Greetings:

    I'm trying to install Oracle 9i Enterprise Server and Client on a 64 bit
Solaris 8 machine. I encountering link errors as follows:

Calling action unixActions2.2.0.6.0  make
        installMakePath = /usr/ccs/bin/make
        installMakeFileName =
/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk
        installTarget = ntcontab.o
        installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0,
        undoMakeFileName = null
        undoTarget = null
        undoArguments = null
        logFile = /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/install/make.log

Exception thrown from action: make
Exception Name: MakefileException
Exception String: Error in invoking target ntcontab.o of makefile
/opt/oracle/pr
oduct/9.2.0.1.0/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk
Exception Severity: 1

This was while the OUI was trying to execute the following make command:

/usr/ccs/bin/make -f ins_net_client.mk ntcontab.o
ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0

I can actucally manully execute this on the command line and it seems to
work but I'm sure not properly since I'm sure there are some paths that it
needs which would have normaly been set in the install script.

I believe I have something not set properly prior to starting the Oracle
Universal Installer but I'm not sure what (i.e., environment variable, or
compiler option).
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

0
joe283 (8)

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:59:29 GMT, "Joseph Dimech" <joe@tsc-corp.com>
wrote:

>I believe I have something not set properly prior to starting the Oracle
>Universal Installer but I'm not sure what (i.e., environment variable, or
>compiler option).

You object reading the installation instructions?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./:/opt/SUNWspro/lib::/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/lib
LIBPATH=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/lib:
LOGNAME=oracle
MAIL=/var/mail/oracle
MAILCHECK=600
MANPATH=scohelp::/opt/SUNWspro/man
OFLAGS=-D__AMIS_INFORMIX_7__=1 -D__AMIS_PROTOS__ -g -xarch=v9 -xs -misalign
-err
tags=yes -
erroff=E_NO_IMPLICIT_DECL_ALLOWED,E_NO_EXPLICIT_TYPE_GIVEN,E_OLD_STYLE_DECL_
OR_BAD_TYPE
OPTIND=1
ORACLE_BASE=/opt/oracle
ORACLE_DBPATH=/opt/oracle/amis
ORACLE_DOC=/opt/oracle/doc
ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0
ORACLE_MAKEFILE=/opt/oracle/local/bin/demo_rdbms.mk
ORACLE_SID=amis
ORA_NLS33=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/ocommon/nls/admin/data
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:.:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/ccs:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/o
racle/product/9.2.0.1.0/bin:/opt/oracle/local/bin:/usr/ccs:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr
/openwin/bin:/usr/local/bin
SHELL=/bin/sh
TERM=vt220
TMP=/usr4
TMPDIR=/usr4
TZ=US/Eastern
_INIT_NET_STRATEGY=none
_INIT_PREV_LEVEL=S
_INIT_RUN_LEVEL=3
_INIT_RUN_NPREV=0
_INIT_UTS_ISA=sparc
_INIT_UTS_MACHINE=sun4u
_INIT_UTS_NODENAME=sol
_INIT_UTS_PLATFORM=SUNW,Ultra-250
_INIT_UTS_RELEASE=5.8
_INIT_UTS_SYSNAME=SunOS
_INIT_UTS_VERSION=Generic_108528-09

I have an oracle account set up and have added the "oracle", "dba" and
"oper" groups. I am just using the "oracle" group as the install group as
well. I have confirmed the compiler, ftp, and so forth according the the
install instrutions. I have tried installing more than once and have started
from scratch each time without success. My original problem was with lack of
space in the "/tmp" directory. I solved that my setting the "TMP" and
"TMPDIR" variables as you can see from the above set command. After, I tried
again but ran into my first link error. Once I deleted everything and tried
again I have gotton more link errors.

So I do believe that I have done all the required legwork... but maybe not?

Best regards,
Joseph

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg@sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:59:29 GMT, "Joseph Dimech" <joe@tsc-corp.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I believe I have something not set properly prior to starting the Oracle
> >Universal Installer but I'm not sure what (i.e., environment variable, or
> >compiler option).
>
> You object reading the installation instructions?
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

0
joe283 (8)
12/4/2003 8:39:00 PM
"Joseph Dimech" <joe@tsc-corp.com> wrote in message
> [...]
tried
> again but ran into my first link error. Once I deleted everything and
tried
> again I have gotton more link errors.
>
> So I do believe that I have done all the required legwork... but maybe
not?

> Best regards,
> Joseph
>
> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg@sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:59:29 GMT, "Joseph Dimech" <joe@tsc-corp.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I believe I have something not set properly prior to starting the
Oracle
> > >Universal Installer but I'm not sure what (i.e., environment variable,
or
> > >compiler option).
> >
> > You object reading the installation instructions?

Hey Joseph,

Don't apologize to Sybrand.  The guy doesn't offer advice.  He figures he's
some kind of Oracle god and will do his best to may you look like an idiot.
In the end, he's just a sorry, pathetic little boy who desperately needs
some companionship.

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:55:10 GMT, "Mark Filson"
<mfilson29NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey Joseph,
>
>Don't apologize to Sybrand.  The guy doesn't offer advice.  He figures he's
>some kind of Oracle god and will do his best to may you look like an idiot.
>In the end, he's just a sorry, pathetic little boy who desperately needs
>some companionship.

Abuse will be sent

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
gooiditweg (171)
12/4/2003 11:18:15 PM
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:55:10 GMT, "Mark Filson"
> <mfilson29NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey Joseph,
> >
> >Don't apologize to Sybrand.  The guy doesn't offer advice.  He figures
he's
> >some kind of Oracle god and will do his best to may you look like an
idiot.
> >In the end, he's just a sorry, pathetic little boy who desperately needs
> >some companionship.
> >

> Abuse will be sent
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

You don't know the meaning of abuse.

Joseph Dimech wrote:

> Greetings:
>
>     I'm trying to install Oracle 9i Enterprise Server and Client on a 64 bit
> Solaris 8 machine. I encountering link errors as follows:
>
> Calling action unixActions2.2.0.6.0  make
>         installMakePath = /usr/ccs/bin/make
>         installMakeFileName =
> /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk
>         installTarget = ntcontab.o
>         installArguments = ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0,
>         undoMakeFileName = null
>         undoTarget = null
>         undoArguments = null
>         logFile = /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/install/make.log
>
> Exception thrown from action: make
> Exception Name: MakefileException
> Exception String: Error in invoking target ntcontab.o of makefile
> /opt/oracle/pr
> oduct/9.2.0.1.0/network/lib/ins_net_client.mk
> Exception Severity: 1
>
> This was while the OUI was trying to execute the following make command:
>
> /usr/ccs/bin/make -f ins_net_client.mk ntcontab.o
> ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0
>
> I can actucally manully execute this on the command line and it seems to
> work but I'm sure not properly since I'm sure there are some paths that it
> needs which would have normaly been set in the install script.
>
> I believe I have something not set properly prior to starting the Oracle
> Universal Installer but I'm not sure what (i.e., environment variable, or
> compiler option).
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers!

A quick search comes up with quite a few hits, of which one suggests
to check the logfile for errors - it seems the compiler/linker is
sought in the wrong directory - creating a (symbolic) link
from /usr/bin to the actual diry worked.
--
Regards, Frank van Bortel

0
fbortel1 (99)
12/5/2003 8:31:24 AM
Hi Mark:

    Thanks for sticking up for me. You are right! If the guy doesn't have
anything worth while to say he should not say it. But I let stuff like that
roll of my back. Not worth the hassle. Anyway, I have found the problem and
would like to post my findings in order to help anyone else who may have
these symptoms. As I had noted: I ran into multiple compile errors. I had
checked the pre-install notes for requirement and set up the proper
environment variables, tuned the kernel (Solaris 8), set up the necessary
accounts and groups, then read release notes. Even bought a new 18 gig drive
to make sure I have enough space. My first problem I ran into was the "tmp"
file system was too small. No problem, I set the "TMP" and "TMPDIR" to a
larger file system I had available. That was the easy part. After proceeding
from there I ran into the compile errors during install. Turns out that I
missed checking my swap space. I have 512 meg of memory but only 250 meg of
swap was allocated. The machine came pre-configured with Solairs 8 from a
company which specializes in Sun machines. I assumed this should have not
been an issue but I was wrong. I should have known this because I had seen
this behavior before while compiling our software at work years ago when
disk space and memory were resources were less plentiful. So there you have
it! See, it is not that I didn't read the install manual, it is just the I
missed a couple of lines in the process of reading and doing (back and
forth). All Sybrand had do was suggest  that I re-check my pre-install
requirements in case I missed something. You know... just give some
direction, not specifics. That is if he had any kind of clue. But I will
give him the benefit of the doubt.

Best regards,
Joseph

"Mark Filson" <mfilson29NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg@sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:55:10 GMT, "Mark Filson"
> > <mfilson29NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hey Joseph,
> > >
> > >Don't apologize to Sybrand.  The guy doesn't offer advice.  He figures
> he's
> > >some kind of Oracle god and will do his best to may you look like an
> idiot.
> > >In the end, he's just a sorry, pathetic little boy who desperately
needs
> > >some companionship.
> > >

> > Abuse will be sent
> >

> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> You don't know the meaning of abuse.

0
joe283 (8)
12/5/2003 2:09:42 PM
> Hi Mark:
>
>     Thanks for sticking up for me. You are right! If the guy doesn't have
> anything worth while to say he should not say it. But I let stuff like
that
> roll of my back. Not worth the hassle. Anyway, I have found the problem
and
> would like to post my findings in order to help anyone else who may have
> these symptoms. As I had noted: I ran into multiple compile errors. I had
> checked the pre-install notes for requirement and set up the proper
> environment variables, tuned the kernel (Solaris 8), set up the necessary
> accounts and groups, then read release notes. Even bought a new 18 gig
drive
> to make sure I have enough space. My first problem I ran into was the
"tmp"
> file system was too small. No problem, I set the "TMP" and "TMPDIR" to a
> larger file system I had available. That was the easy part. After
proceeding
> from there I ran into the compile errors during install. Turns out that I
> missed checking my swap space. I have 512 meg of memory but only 250 meg
of
> swap was allocated. The machine came pre-configured with Solairs 8 from a
> company which specializes in Sun machines. I assumed this should have not
> been an issue but I was wrong. I should have known this because I had seen
> this behavior before while compiling our software at work years ago when
> disk space and memory were resources were less plentiful. So there you
have
> it! See, it is not that I didn't read the install manual, it is just the I
> missed a couple of lines in the process of reading and doing (back and
> forth). All Sybrand had do was suggest  that I re-check my pre-install
> requirements in case I missed something. You know... just give some
> direction, not specifics. That is if he had any kind of clue. But I will
> give him the benefit of the doubt.
>
> Best regards,
> Joseph
>
> "Mark Filson" <mfilson29NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message