Oracle 9i:Downtime mandatory for 'Cluster offline' patches. What about with Oracle 10g?

With Oracle 9i, Cluster Downtime(all DB instances in all nodes must be
stopped) was mandatory for installing 'Cluster Offline" patches. Is
the situation different now with Oracle 10g? If yes, I would like to
know whether there are any cases where Downtime is still mandatory for
Oracle patches.

Thanks!
0
qazmlp1209 (247)

Could anybody clarify this? Thanks!

> With Oracle 9i, Cluster Downtime(all DB instances in all nodes must be
> stopped) was mandatory for installing 'Cluster Offline" patches. Is
> the situation different now with Oracle 10g? If yes, I would like to
> know whether there are any cases where Downtime is still mandatory for
> Oracle patches.
0
qazmlp1209 (247)
2/22/2005 3:57:12 AM
qazmlp wrote:
> Could anybody clarify this? Thanks!
>

>>With Oracle 9i, Cluster Downtime(all DB instances in all nodes must be
>>stopped) was mandatory for installing 'Cluster Offline" patches. Is
>>the situation different now with Oracle 10g? If yes, I would like to
>>know whether there are any cases where Downtime is still mandatory for
>>Oracle patches.

Not certified to clarify (not into clustering), but
rolling updates, as it is/was called, will probably
not emerge before 11i.
The mechanism should have been in 10i, rel2, iirc.

Could anyone (Mark T, Daniel M) comment on this?
--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel
Frank van Bortel wrote:

> qazmlp wrote:
>
>> Could anybody clarify this? Thanks!
>>

>>> With Oracle 9i, Cluster Downtime(all DB instances in all nodes must be
>>> stopped) was mandatory for installing 'Cluster Offline" patches. Is
>>> the situation different now with Oracle 10g? If yes, I would like to
>>> know whether there are any cases where Downtime is still mandatory for
>>> Oracle patches.
>

> Not certified to clarify (not into clustering), but
> rolling updates, as it is/was called, will probably
> not emerge before 11i.
> The mechanism should have been in 10i, rel2, iirc.
>
> Could anyone (Mark T, Daniel M) comment on this?

Depends on the patch. There are some where you can off-line a single
node, patch it, bring it back online and continue until all nodes have
been patched. There is a possibility of patch enhancement with 10gR2
which is coming soon but I can not comment on what is or is not in it.
Perhaps Mark can.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load 'C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.dll' for module DBD::Oracle: load_file:The specified procedure could not be found at C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 2
hello i have a strange problem with DBI module. has anyone any clue about what is wrong here? my connection string: --------------------- use DBI; use DBD::ODBC; use DBI qw(:sql_types); use strict; use warnings; my $db = "something"; my $user = 'XXX'; my $passwd = 'XXX'; my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:XXX', $user,$passwd, {RaiseError => 1, AutoCommit => 0}) or die $DBI::errstr; ################# This gives the foll...

New 'Oracle Express / Oracle 9i OLAP' White Paper Available For Download
Plus Consultancy (http://www.plusconsultancy.co.uk) recently presented a white paper entitled "Express Evolution - What Oracle 9i OLAP Offers The Express Customer" at the UKOUG Conference & Exhibition in Birmingham. Plus Consultancy were previously known as Application Consulting Group and have provided Express services since 1983, in the UK and USA. The paper, written by Graham Spicer and Mark Rittman, is available for download (no reg. required) at http://www.plusconsultancy.co.uk/downloads/white_papers/Express%20Evolution_white%20paper.pdf and contains information on migrating Express applications, key features of 9i OLAP, and the forthcoming Analytic Workspace Manager. Hope this is of interest to the group, Mark Rittman Consulting Director, Plus Consultancy mrittman@plusconsultancy.co.uk ...

Need to start Oracle DB under account other than 'oracle'
Hi, I have Oracle 10 on RHEL 4 Linux. The user 'oracle' was used to install two databases, demo1 and test1. I also created another user with oinstal and oragroup memebership which can start either DB however once they start up they both run under the account 'oracle'. I need them to run under the account name of the other user. I tried editing dbstart & using sqlplus but in each case the databasees all start under oracle, as seen in a ps output. Any suggestions? On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:58:11 -0700, karl wrote: > Hi, I have Oracle 10 on RHEL 4 Linux....

Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hai ALL, I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle 10g? Regards Karthick T.S. "T.S. Karthick" <tskarthick@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114431653.917702.172310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. > Seems to me they are bored and made it breakable again. My database crashes when i start export with datapump (on Linux). breakable: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/alerts.htm New features guide: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10750/toc.htm T.S. Karthick wrote: > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. ASM ADDM ASH Virtual Indexes ORA_ROWSCN DBMS_WARNING UTL_MAIL .... does anyone need more reasons? There are at least 1000 more. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) ...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

conditional selection of 'AND' or 'Select' in Oracle
I am working on Oracle reports . One of the parameters that a User inputs is 'report_type'. Now, is there a way to do the following within a SQL query with no use of procedures or functions. select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethingelse = something else //else do nothing Also, IS there a way of doing something like the following // if report_type='some_data' then select blaa from foo where something = something // if report_type='some_data' then and somethin...

Installing oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server
Hi All, Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server? Thanks Ed Ed <arub11@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > Most definitely in seperate directory trees On Jul 26, 11:33=A0am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 > @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > > > Hi All, > > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > > server? > > Most definitely in seperate directory trees With different oracle users used for installation? Any other info. you may have to keep in mind during the installation of both versions of oracle? On Jul 26, 2:28=A0pm, Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > > Thanks > Ed You install them into separate oracle homes. Do the 9i first and patch then 10g and patch is simplest. You should double check 9i I "think" it is supported by oracle for solaris 10. The installer might get a little weird worry about os patches and pre-reqs not sure. The 10g install is pretty clean. You can do both installs using the "same" oracle user and group definitions or you could...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Linking with Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hi, I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an ldd shows libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 Thanks, Iain Iain William Wiseman <iwiseman@fred.co.nz> wrote: > I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. > > I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an > ldd shows > > libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 > > Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it > just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround > > i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 That soft link is a very bad idea. There are two good solutions: a) link the software against Oracle 10 b) install an Oracle 9 client. While a) may not always be possible, there's nothing to keep you from b). Yours, Laurenz Albe ...

oracle 10g and oracle 9i RMAN
According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then oracle 9i RMAN, because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording changes in blocks in a file. But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG files and how is it different. On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > oracle 9i RMAN, > because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording > changes in blocks in a file. > But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG > files and how is it different. The answer to this question is obvious (as with all of your questions, as you never RTFM and if you RTFM, don't try to *understand* the documentation). The redo log is a *chronological* collection of what Oracle calls change vectors. If you would need to determine which blocks have been changed since last backup, you *obviously* would have to scan through *ALL* redologs since last backup. The block change tracking file is a bitmapped file only stating the fact a specific block has changed. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA On Jul 10, 3:49 pm, sybrandb <sybra...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > > oracle 9i RMAN, > > because after enable block change tracking......

Install Oracle 9i after Oracle 10g
I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had Oracle 10g installed. I was planning to use the listener which was created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new listener for 9i. I performed a software only installation because the application that I have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances. After doing the 9i install, which seemed to go well, I am having the following problem. I cannot start the Database Configuration Assitant or the Net Configuration Assistant. I don't know if this is because the it can't detect the 10g listener or if it is another problem which I haven't discovered yet. Also, when using the Home Selector utility, it tell me that there is only one Oracle home, even though I installed 9i into a new Oracle home. The Universal installer shows two homes, but the registry does not show a Home0 and Home1, only a Home0 pointing to the 9i install. Any know issues with installing 9i AFTER 10g that could be causing these problems? Thank you. RhodeRunner wrote: > I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had > Oracle 10g installed. I was planning to use the listener which was > created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new > listener for 9i. > > I performed a software only installation because the application that I > have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances. > > After doing the 9i install, wh...

Oracle Reports (9i)
Hi all. I'd like to lay out a problem we had the other day ... maybe someone can make sense of this: We're currently deploying our system, that includes report generation, to a number of production plants where they can then view some Oracle Reports as part of a webapplication. Now it went like this: *) Call in that they can't view the report - get REP-501 "Can't connect to DB" error. -> It turns out that the wrong charcterset is configured in the registry - we fix this and reboot the DB + Reports server machine. *) After reboot, when they try ...

[News] Oracle and Red Hat Have a 'Patching Contest'; Vista Needs Serious Patching
Oracle's Linux: Unbreakable? Or Just A Necessary Adjustment? ,----[ Quote ] | When Oracle's Linux technical support team has a fix, it gives that fix to | the customer without waiting for Red Hat's uptake or the kernel process | itself, Ellison said. | | [...] | | When Red Hat learns of bugs, it retrofits the fixes into its current and | older versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. That's one of Red Hat's main | engineering investments in Linux, Berman said in an interview. `---- http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/oracles_linux_u.html Noth...

'ocssd.bin process' in Oracle 10g?
Oracle 10g on Linux. I shutdown all Oracle services (database server, listner, emctl, etc). But when I do 'ps -ef|grep ora', I see there're lots of 'ocssd.bin' processes running. What does this process mean? I couldn't find any doc about this from technet.oracle.com. Thanks a lot! JZ wrote: > Oracle 10g on Linux. > > I shutdown all Oracle services (database server, listner, emctl, etc). > But when I do 'ps -ef|grep ora', I see there're lots of 'ocssd.bin' > processes running. What does this process mean? I couldn't find any > doc about this from technet.oracle.com. > > Thanks a lot! Cluster services for ASM, RAC etc But I only setup 10g in a standalone machine. Is this service automatically included in Oracle software installation (or from creating instance)? how can I check the status/stop/start this service? Thanks a lot! Mark Townsend <markbtownsend@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<UjfZb.81297$jk2.423743@attbi_s53>... > JZ wrote: > > Oracle 10g on Linux. > > > > I shutdown all Oracle services (database server, listner, emctl, etc). > > But when I do 'ps -ef|grep ora', I see there're lots of 'ocssd.bin' > > processes running. What does this process mean? I couldn't find any > > doc about this from technet.oracle.com. > > > > Thanks a lot! > > Cluster services for ASM, RAC etc On 29 Mar 2004 22:...

How to make a dump for Oracle 9i with Oracle 10g
Hello, is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? Thank you, Norbert On Mar 31, 10:10=A0am, Norbert P=FCrringer <thalio...@graffiti.net> wrote: > Hello, > > is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in > order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > > Thank you, > Norbert Yes, and that's been covered any number of times in this newsgroup, on the web and in the Oracle documentation. I suggest you search the newsgroup archives, learn to use google or visit the documentation found here: http://tahiti.oracle.com David Fitzjarrell On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:10:48 -0700 (PDT), Norbert P�rringer <thalion77@graffiti.net> wrote: >Hello, > >is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in >order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > >Thank you, >Norbert This is a FAQ which should be prevented by searching the Internet. Usually only people in the Eastern Hemisphere are too lazy to do that, but I see the virus is spreading. You need the 9i exp to run against the 10g database. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

Bring over Oracle 9i db to Oracle 10g
Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:RZ60d.82660$N11.77025@bignews5.bellsouth.net: > Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade > this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? > > > http://otn.oracle.com http://tahiti.oracle.com Hi Ana: By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me, Oracle will be out with v.11 - spent a half hour looking for some instruction or article that would help me. Am not a DBA, so the answer might be staring me in the face, and I wouldn't recognize it. Just want to be able to use my old Oracle 9i db in Oracle10g. "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns955FBFA0ADB5BSunnySD@68.6.19.6... > "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in > news:RZ60d.82660$N11.77025@bignews5.bellsouth.net: > >> Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade >> this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? >> >> >> > > http://otn.oracle.com > http://tahiti.oracle.com William F. O'Neill wrote: > Hi Ana: > > By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me,...

'Oracle Internet Directory'
In my understanding, Oracle RDBMS is not a complete in-memory database. Allotting a large System Global Area(SGA) will just make large part of the database to be loaded into memory, but still the updates will be written onto the Disks. So, storing in-memory completely is ruled out for Oracle RDBMS. But, what about for 'Oracle Internet Directory'? I would like to know whether it is possible to make the 'Oracle Internet Directory' data completely in in-memory. qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com wrote in news:1134923207.376212.34440@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > In my understanding, Oracle RDBMS is not a complete in-memory database. > Allotting a large System Global Area(SGA) will just make large part of > the database to be loaded into memory, but still the updates will be > written onto the Disks. > > So, storing in-memory completely is ruled out for Oracle RDBMS. But, > what about for 'Oracle Internet Directory'? I would like to know > whether it is possible to make the 'Oracle Internet Directory' data > completely in in-memory. > > NO. What happens to "a complete in-memory database" when power is lost? IANAL_VISTA wrote: > > In my understanding, Oracle RDBMS is not a complete in-memory database. > > Allotting a large System Global Area(SGA) will just make large part of > > the database to be loaded into memory, but still the updates will be > > written onto the Disks. > ...

Oracle 9i on Windows 98: Who is user 'P08'?
Hi there, I just installed Oracle Personal Edition 9.0.1.1.0 on my Win98 machine. I went with all the defaults, and told the installer to create a database for me. Everything seemed to install fine, and I wrote down the global name, SID, etc. I start the database via the Windows menu "Start: Programs: Oracle: Database Administration: Start Oracle9i Database". Type in the password, and everything starts fine. Then I go to the Oracle 9i Navigator. I see an icon that says "Local Database", so I click on it, and it says "Invalid username/password". Note: This is the first time that I have ever visited this database. I right click on "Local Database", and I see that this icon has a "Username: P08" and an obscured password. I have no idea who "PO8" is, the installer never mentioned anything about this user, I can't find any information about this user in the docs, and I have no idea what the password should be. I've tried the following passwords, but none of these work: PO8 (and p08, po8, pO8, etc). tiger (since that's what 'scott' uses) demo password test manager change_on_install "" (blank) What is the password? Who is this "PO8" user? It seems that P08 is a generic name for "Personal Oracle 8", but I'm using 9i, and Oracle 8 has never been installed o this machine. Thanks for your help, -= Stefan Lasiewski ...

Oracle 10g on Win2003 Needs 'Data Execution Prevention' Off
Hello, The installation of Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 failed on a couple of different servers. By failed, I mean that OUI did not appear. No warning or error messages appeared either. We installed Oracle 10g as part of an SAP installation procedure. The SAP installation DVDs, however, use what appears to be a standard Oracle installation procedure (In general, OUI seems to behave the same as when I installed Oracle 10g using strictly Oracle tools), which is why I am posting to this newsgroup. We resolved this issue by disabling 'Data Execution Prevention', which was enabled by default. However, when discussing this with others who installed Oracle 10g as part of SAP, and after checking the SAP database and metalink, it appears that, in general, 'Data Execution Prevention' does not need to be disabled for an Oracle 10g installation on Windows 2003. (The closest reference in metalink seems to be 356781.1, but that is for Forms and not a default 10g installation). Any ideas on why 'Data Execution Prevention' needs to be disabled for Oracle 10g to install on Win2003 on our servers (Dells), but does not need to be disabled in general? Perhaps, we have certain settings that are not common? Thanks, IF basis_consultant@hotmail.com schreef: [deletia] > Any ideas on why 'Data Execution Prevention' needs to be disabled for > Oracle 10g to install on Win2003 on our servers (Dells), but does not > need to be disabled in general? > ...

Web Services Implementation in Oracle 9i and Oracle 10G
I have read several articles on Web Services on TechNet. It is still not clear to me: 1. If I use Oracle9i EE on HP UNIX 11, do I have everything to deploy web services. Many articles on web services mention about Oracle9i AS OC4J containers. Does that mean I need Oracle9i AS (do I need to get a license for it) or OC4J containers can be downloaded (if not already available) with Oracle9i EE. 2. Same question for Oracle 10G, do I need Oracle10gAS for deployment. I know using Oracle Jdeveloper, it is easy to develop web services, but do I need anything from Developer to deploy a web service, Thanks a lot. Any thoughts on this. Thanks. dbaplusplus@hotmail.com wrote: > I have read several articles on Web Services on TechNet. It is still > not clear to me: > > 1. If I use Oracle9i EE on HP UNIX 11, do I have everything to deploy > web services. Many articles on web services mention about Oracle9i AS No - it's just the Database (and HTTP server, if you installed that from the Companion CD) > OC4J containers. Does that mean I need Oracle9i AS (do I need to get a > license for it) or OC4J containers can be downloaded (if not already > available) with Oracle9i EE. Just the OC4J will do nicely, and no, it's not included with the database. > > 2. Same question for Oracle 10G, do I need Oracle10gAS for deployment. > I know using Oracle Jdeveloper, it is easy to develop web services, but > do I need anything from Developer to depl...

Technical differences Oracle 9i vs. Oracle 10g
Completing a brief study for our systems. What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is there a list some out there somewhere? Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and communicate? Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? Bob wrote: > Completing a brief study for our systems. > > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x, 5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes, IIS, Photo Shop, ..... (see a principle developing here?) >and communicate? with each other? Yes. I've never known two 'adjacent versions' of Oracle not be able to communicate with each other. > > Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? MetaLink --> Certify --> Desupport Notices > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? The following document lists the new features in 10g that are not available in 9i: http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and > communicate? Yes. They can even coexist on the same server....

Web resources about - Oracle 9i:Downtime mandatory for 'Cluster offline' patches. What about with Oracle 10g? - comp.databases.oracle.server