Oracle 9iAS vs Oracle 10g AS

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any real difference between 9i AS and 10g
AS for J2EE developers.  From what I have read most of the changes
between the two are stricly on the database side and 10g AS now
supports J2EE 1.4 (but 9i AS can be upgraded as well).  Am I over
simplifying iut or am I missing something?

Regards

John Smith wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any real difference between 9i AS and 10g
> AS for J2EE developers.  From what I have read most of the changes
> between the two are stricly on the database side and 10g AS now
> supports J2EE 1.4 (but 9i AS can be upgraded as well).  Am I over
> simplifying iut or am I missing something?
>
> Regards

Realize - Oracle Application Server 10g is version 9.0.4. So when you say
'9i AS can be upgraded', you are actualy saying 'moved to 10g'.

Some of the other benefits:

- EMWebSite's replacement (EM App Server Control) talks nicely with OPMN and
DCM;
- DCM is now a bus and DCMCTL is a client of the bus (as are OPMN and EM);
- EM is 1000% improved;
- if in a clustered environment, the infrastructure can be ANY 9iR2 or 10g
database, which means it can be properly protected (RAC, Dataguard,
whatever)

More than that is available from the fine, but overwhelming, docco at
http://docs.oracle.com

/Hans
0
forbrich (429)
7/21/2004 11:23:45 PM
Hans Forbrich <forbrich@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<5WCLc.107335$eO.58940@edtnps89>...
> John Smith wrote:
>

> > I was wondering if there is any real difference between 9i AS and 10g
> > AS for J2EE developers.  From what I have read most of the changes
> > between the two are stricly on the database side and 10g AS now
> > supports J2EE 1.4 (but 9i AS can be upgraded as well).  Am I over
> > simplifying iut or am I missing something?
> >
> > Regards
>
> Realize - Oracle Application Server 10g is version 9.0.4. So when you say
> '9i AS can be upgraded', you are actualy saying 'moved to 10g'.
>
> Some of the other benefits:
>
> - EMWebSite's replacement (EM App Server Control) talks nicely with OPMN and
> DCM;
> - DCM is now a bus and DCMCTL is a client of the bus (as are OPMN and EM);
> - EM is 1000% improved;
> - if in a clustered environment, the infrastructure can be ANY 9iR2 or 10g
> database, which means it can be properly protected (RAC, Dataguard,
> whatever)
>

> More than that is available from the fine, but overwhelming, docco at
> http://docs.oracle.com
>
> /Hans

One 10g downside:  If on Windows, some tools like repca don't work and
haven't been around long enough for support to admit it.  Even if
people complain, support calls about it are never resolved because
people just wipe out everything and start over.

Both 902 and 904 are fragile in the sense you don't want to move or
change much in the way of configuration once things are working.  902
is definitely worse in having to apply patch on patch on patch.  There
are some architectural differences between 902 and 904 that can make
some things work very differently.  I couldn't say whether that would
affect any j2ee, unless it happens to access a database.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Happy Birthday, David Spade.  I'm sick of your commercials.  They're
Joel Garry wrote:

> One 10g downside:  If on Windows, some tools like repca don't work and
> haven't been around long enough for support to admit it.  Even if
> people complain, support calls about it are never resolved because
> people just wipe out everything and start over.

WHile true, the upside is that the 'rest' of 10g can be on Windows and the
infrastructure/repository be the only thing on a Linux/Unix machine.

Infra should be centralized anyway, and you definitely want a High
Availability environment, so Linux may not be out of the question ... and
it encourages NOT putting infra on the same box as the apps.

Somehow I don't envision a person interested in "J2EE only" being concerned
about Windows environment <g>

(However, I do suggest that anyone heading down the EJB path should read
"Better, Faster, Lighter Java" - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bfljava/
and possibly rethink that direction.  EJB has a very important place, but
too many J2EE developers are enamoured, or hopelessly lost, with the
complexity.)

0
forbrich (429)
7/23/2004 1:25:28 AM
Well, I say I am interested in the J2EE portion because we currently
have an Oracle 9iAS license and all 9i databases except for one which
is 10g.  We do not currently have a 10g AS license.  However, I am
instructed to use Jdeveloper 10g, I have built some sample apps using
JDeveloper 10g specific (ADF-UIX) and have not had any issues so far
hitting a 9i database (in the dev environment).  However, I am curious
whether we are reaping the REAL benefits if the database is not 10g.
So I guess the better question is, are the AS upgrades (as in J2EE 1.4
compliant) really separate from the 10g database?

Thoughts?

John Smith wrote:

> Well, I say I am interested in the J2EE portion because we currently
> have an Oracle 9iAS license and all 9i databases except for one which
> is 10g.  We do not currently have a 10g AS license.  However, I am
> instructed to use Jdeveloper 10g, I have built some sample apps using
> JDeveloper 10g specific (ADF-UIX) and have not had any issues so far
> hitting a 9i database (in the dev environment).  However, I am curious
> whether we are reaping the REAL benefits if the database is not 10g.
> So I guess the better question is, are the AS upgrades (as in J2EE 1.4
> compliant) really separate from the 10g database?
>
> Thoughts?

Not only thoughts, but opinions as well <g>

There is nothing wrong with using Java, and JDeveloper has so many
innovations and built in tools that it is almost worth using even if you
don't Java at all.

J2EE is a great specification and should be considered as one of the
possible tools for developing a final solution.  However, you need to
realize that J2EE contains 2 major area:

- Web side (Servlet and JSP)
- Business side (EJB)

Also realize that Servlets can directly contact Stored Procedures through
JDBC.  Servlets and JSPs are 'A Good Thing'

Many organizations are now finding that EJB is a heavyweight tool that is
satisfactory for industrial-strength distributed middle-tier.  (EJB often
attempts to remove dependancy on specific databases by absorbing much of
the database capability into itself.)  It does need a LOT of very
specialized care and feeding and even pro-J2EE organizations are starting
to realize EJB is VERY expensive.

An organization that has a decent knowledge of, and significant investment
in, Oracle and wants to see that investment paid back should consider using
[none or ONLY stateless session beans] and should also look to other
technology - such as [Java and/or PL/SQL] Stored Procedures - wherever
'Entity Beans' might be considered.

A decent discussion about the risks and costs of J2EE, and some
alternatives, is in the O'Reilly Book "Better, Faster, Lighter Java" at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bfljava/

Oracle Application Server 10g is a significant improvement over Oracle9i App
Server (even given the "repca is not currently on WIndows" limitation)
especially in the areas of administration. Definitely worth considering.

Oracle Database 10g is a significant improvement over Oracle9i Database,
especially in the areas of administration.  However, I am not aware of any
significant changes in Oracle Database 10g that could benefit a pure J2EE
1.4 application over Oracle9i Database.

When playing in a pure J2EE arena, the benefits of Oracle Database 10g and
Oracle Application Server 10g are (IMO) truly independent.  This statement
changes when you start looking at Oracle Application Server 10g Standard or
Enterprise Edition.

(Note: I am NOT an Oracle employee)
/Hans
0
forbrich (429)
7/24/2004 1:18:21 AM
Hans Forbrich <forbrich@yahoo.net> wrote in

> Joel Garry wrote:
>
>> One 10g downside:  If on Windows, some tools like repca don't work
>> and haven't been around long enough for support to admit it.  Even if
>> people complain, support calls about it are never resolved because
>> people just wipe out everything and start over.
>>

> WHile true, the upside is that the 'rest' of 10g can be on Windows and
> the infrastructure/repository be the only thing on a Linux/Unix
> machine.
>
> Infra should be centralized anyway, and you definitely want a High
> Availability environment, so Linux may not be out of the question ...
> and it encourages NOT putting infra on the same box as the apps.

Not that this is recommended practice, but the middle tier systems
will continue to function normally even with the infrastructure node
shutdown down. This is as long as the middle tier systems stay up.
0
anacedent (475)
7/24/2004 7:27:14 PM
Ana C. Dent wrote:

> Not that this is recommended practice, but the middle tier systems
> will continue to function normally even with the infrastructure node
> shutdown down. This is as long as the middle tier systems stay up.

Depends entirely on what is defined as part of the infrastructure.  For
example, Single Sign-On has a tough time looking up the relevant
information in OiD/LDAP if that is in the Infra database which is shut
down.  Ditto Farm/Cluster config changes.

But if nothing is changed and DC metadata is required, you're right.

/H
0
forbrich (429)
7/24/2004 7:35:15 PM

> Ana C. Dent wrote:
>

>> Not that this is recommended practice, but the middle tier systems
>> will continue to function normally even with the infrastructure node
>> shutdown down. This is as long as the middle tier systems stay up.
>
> Depends entirely on what is defined as part of the infrastructure.  For
> example, Single Sign-On has a tough time looking up the relevant
> information in OiD/LDAP if that is in the Infra database which is shut
> down.  Ditto Farm/Cluster config changes.
>
> But if nothing is changed and DC metadata is required, you're right.
>
> /H

TOTALLY correct!

It slipped my mind that I am running Forms & Reports with SSO disabled;
which is why my mid-tier continued without any problems when the
Infrastucture DB was shutdown for cold backups.

PORTAL requires the Infrastucture DB (SSO) to be available.
0
anacedent (475)
7/24/2004 7:53:20 PM
Ana C. Dent wrote:

>> But if nothing is changed and DC metadata is required, you're right.
>>
>> /H
>>

> TOTALLY correct!

Not quite.  I meant to say "DCM metadata is NOT required"

> It slipped my mind that I am r...

That's why we use the collective mind, isn't it?  Synapses running at the
speed of the Internet.  (With a few messed up eggs^H^H^H^H circuits here
and there.)

0
forbrich (429)
7/24/2004 8:28:31 PM

> Ana C. Dent wrote:
>
>>> But if nothing is changed and DC metadata is required, you're right.
>>>
>>> /H
>>>

>> TOTALLY correct!
>
> Not quite.  I meant to say "DCM metadata is NOT required"
>
>> It slipped my mind that I am r...
>
> That's why we use the collective mind, isn't it?  Synapses running at the
> speed of the Internet.  (With a few messed up eggs^H^H^H^H circuits here
> and there.)

That and the fact that I'm old and going senile.
0
anacedent (475)
7/24/2004 10:00:25 PM
I agree with most of your post Hans.  The thing is, I have essentially
been given the mantel to run with this J2EE stuff.  The funny part is
this, we have been using pieces of J2EE for years but the management
things EJB equals J2EE.

I agree that entity beans really are not for us, stateless session
beans seem like a logical way to go.  However, entity beans might be
useful BUT I do not see J2EE as a quick "solve".  One bean takes 4
classes?  I'm sorry, I love Java and Open source, but this is
ridiculous.  As much as I dislike Microsoft, .NET development is a
BREEZE compared to this.

I went off on a tangent, sorry.  However, we are using JDeveloper
because of the
ADF UIX components (for the web) and because we want top move away
from PL/SQL (where possible).  For our strictly Java apps, we will
continue to use Netbeans.

I do have a couple more questions though, what do you guys think of
these?

#1.  Some type of CVS integration for the UIX stuff?  How do is
thisdone?  I mean, finding a change someone did in this stuff could
take fays. I saw that there is CVS integrations but it seems like that
is on a perfile basis, not a built in CVS which lets you check out an
entire UIX form for example and all necessary files with one stroke.

#2.  Since we will be using ADF we don't really define the
underpinnings, even though it is using J2EE "stuff".  How worries do I
need to be about this automated code?  Is the ADF stuff too heavey
weight?

#3.  JSF (Java server faces)... is ADF doing what JSF will soon be
doing?

-Joie

Hans Forbrich <forbrich@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<xNiMc.110149$eO.65078@edtnps89>...
> [...]
> especially in the areas of administration. Definitely worth considering.
>
> Oracle Database 10g is a significant improvement over Oracle9i Database,
> especially in the areas of administration.  However, I am not aware of any
> significant changes in Oracle Database 10g that could benefit a pure J2EE
> 1.4 application over Oracle9i Database.
>
> When playing in a pure J2EE arena, the benefits of Oracle Database 10g and
> Oracle Application Server 10g are (IMO) truly independent.  This statement
> changes when you start looking at Oracle Application Server 10g Standard or
> Enterprise Edition.
>
> (Note: I am NOT an Oracle employee)
> /Hans
> #2.  Since we will be using ADF we don't really define the
> underpinnings, even though it is using J2EE "stuff".  How worries do I
> need to be about this automated code?  Is the ADF stuff too heavey

You don't need to worry about it being too heavy. Oracle E-Business
Suite is using this technology stack (UIX and ADF Business Components)
so if Oracle is trusting this technology for their applications, you
can trust it too.

> #3.  JSF (Java server faces)... is ADF doing what JSF will soon be
> doing?

UIX is similar to JSF - and in fact will evolve to become the JSF
implementation from Oracle. But UIX now has many more components than
what JSF offers.
Check out the JDeveloper page on OTN for more info. For JSF and a
Statment of Direction for UIX check out:
http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/jsf.html
0
gevatron (54)
7/27/2004 6:09:54 PM
Hans Forbrich <forbrich@yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<cOZLc.108919$eO.78747@edtnps89>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
>
> > One 10g downside:  If on Windows, some tools like repca don't work and
> > haven't been around long enough for support to admit it.  Even if
> > people complain, support calls about it are never resolved because
> > people just wipe out everything and start over.
> >

> WHile true, the upside is that the 'rest' of 10g can be on Windows and the
> infrastructure/repository be the only thing on a Linux/Unix machine.
>
> Infra should be centralized anyway, and you definitely want a High
> Availability environment, so Linux may not be out of the question ... and
> it encourages NOT putting infra on the same box as the apps.
>
> Somehow I don't envision a person interested in "J2EE only" being concerned
> about Windows environment <g>

<g>  But of course, Oracle is trying to make the OS irrelevant.
Should anyone care, here's what the release notes say for J2EE, I
lol'd at step 1:  http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10468_07/relnotes.904/relnotes/reports.htm#sthref459

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
This even messed up me on a DBA contract:

Technical differences Oracle 9i vs. Oracle 10g
Completing a brief study for our systems. What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is there a list some out there somewhere? Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and communicate? Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? Bob wrote: > Completing a brief study for our systems. > > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x, 5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes, IIS, Photo Shop, ..... (see a principle developing here?) >and communicate? with each other? Yes. I've never known two 'adjacent versions' of Oracle not be able to communicate with each other. > > Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? MetaLink --> Certify --> Desupport Notices > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? The following document lists the new features in 10g that are not available in 9i: http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and > communicate? Yes. They can even coexist on the same server....

Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hai ALL, I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle 10g? Regards Karthick T.S. "T.S. Karthick" <tskarthick@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114431653.917702.172310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. > Seems to me they are bored and made it breakable again. My database crashes when i start export with datapump (on Linux). breakable: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/alerts.htm New features guide: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10750/toc.htm T.S. Karthick wrote: > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. ASM ADDM ASH Virtual Indexes ORA_ROWSCN DBMS_WARNING UTL_MAIL .... does anyone need more reasons? There are at least 1000 more. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) ...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Oracle 9i DBA OCP vs Oracle 10g DBA OCP
This is a question to all you DBAs out there. Let me start by saying that I am no DBA. I know that someone with a lot of DBA experience is always prefered to one who just has an Oracle DBA OCP certificate. 10g DBA OCP just came out. Should I go for 10g DBA OCP which is brand new or 9i DBA OCP and then later when 10g is implemented more upgrade to 10g OCP? I tried looking on the Oracle web site for when 9i DBA OCP will be phased out but couldn't find anything. Thanks for all the feedback in advance. Wally Wally wrote: > This is a question to all you DBAs out there. > > Let me start by saying that I am no DBA. > > I know that someone with a lot of DBA experience is always prefered to > one who just has an Oracle DBA OCP certificate. 10g DBA OCP just came > out. Should I go for 10g DBA OCP which is brand new or 9i DBA OCP and > then later when 10g is implemented more upgrade to 10g OCP? I tried > looking on the Oracle web site for when 9i DBA OCP will be phased out > but couldn't find anything. > > > Thanks for all the feedback in advance. > > Wally 9i OCP tests will not be phased out for a long time. Not many people running 10g yet. 10g dba training courses emphasize clicking on the gui without much if any explanation of what is going on behind the scenes. 9i dba training similar with a little more info on what is actually happening. Your call ... you already know that most places hire only dba's with relevan...

Installing oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server
Hi All, Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server? Thanks Ed Ed <arub11@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > Most definitely in seperate directory trees On Jul 26, 11:33=A0am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 > @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > > > Hi All, > > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > > server? > > Most definitely in seperate directory trees With different oracle users used for installation? Any other info. you may have to keep in mind during the installation of both versions of oracle? On Jul 26, 2:28=A0pm, Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > > Thanks > Ed You install them into separate oracle homes. Do the 9i first and patch then 10g and patch is simplest. You should double check 9i I "think" it is supported by oracle for solaris 10. The installer might get a little weird worry about os patches and pre-reqs not sure. The 10g install is pretty clean. You can do both installs using the "same" oracle user and group definitions or you could...

Oracle 10g 10.0.2 client, to connect oracle 8 server
Dear Group members, I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and 8i it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error <b> "ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer supported." </b> Can i install, 2 or more version of oracle clients in same system, becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will infect my software .. process.. if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, before installation .. What is the best oracle client software can suitable for most of the server's > I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and > 8i > > it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. > when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error > > <b> "ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer > supported." </b> > > > Can i install, 2 or more version of oracle clients in same system, > becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some > SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will > infect my software .. process.. Yes you can, I currently have 3 versions Oracle 8.0.4, Oracle 9.2 and Oracle 10.2 on my work PC. No problem. > > if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, before > installation .. If yo...

Oracle 10g 10.0.2 client, to connect oracle 8 server
Dear Group members, I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and 8i it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error <b> "ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer supported." </b> Can i install, 2 or more version of oracle clients in same system, becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will infect my software .. process.. if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, before installation .. What is the best oracle client software can suitable for most of the server's On Jul 27, 11:58=A0pm, ranganadh <ranganadhkod...@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear Group members, > > =A0I am using Oracle 10 g 10.0.2 client software to connect 9i,10g and > 8i > > it is working very good with the 9i and 10g.. > when i trying to connect 8i server ./. it giving error > > <b> =A0"ORA-03134: Connections to this server version are no longer > supported." </b> > > Can i install, 2 or more =A0version of oracle clients in same system, > becoz .. currently using client software is well configured for some > SQL server BI agents, if i un-install current 10g client, it will > infect my software .. process.. > > if, it can be possible, what kind of things i take care, ...

Install Oracle 9i after Oracle 10g
I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had Oracle 10g installed. I was planning to use the listener which was created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new listener for 9i. I performed a software only installation because the application that I have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances. After doing the 9i install, which seemed to go well, I am having the following problem. I cannot start the Database Configuration Assitant or the Net Configuration Assistant. I don't know if this is because the it can't detect the 10g listener or if it is another problem which I haven't discovered yet. Also, when using the Home Selector utility, it tell me that there is only one Oracle home, even though I installed 9i into a new Oracle home. The Universal installer shows two homes, but the registry does not show a Home0 and Home1, only a Home0 pointing to the 9i install. Any know issues with installing 9i AFTER 10g that could be causing these problems? Thank you. RhodeRunner wrote: > I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had > Oracle 10g installed. I was planning to use the listener which was > created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new > listener for 9i. > > I performed a software only installation because the application that I > have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances. > > After doing the 9i install, wh...

Oracle on v40z vs Oracle on v490
Hello everyone! May be my questions don't match exactly to the group header, but... At the moment we have several RAC systems (Sun Fire V440, 4xUltraSparc IIIi-1062 MHz each, Oracle 10.1.0.4, up to 6 nodes). We are going to upgrade that hardware, and have now two options: to use Sun Fire V40z with dual-core AMD Opteron CPU, or to replace theses boxes with Sun Fire V490 with UltraSparc IV+. Some time ago we tested Oracle on V20z (2xAMD 875, 2.2 GHz) in comparision with our V440s, and found out, that AMD system is almost three tims faster than a v440. So, if we use v40z with 4xAMD...

Problems with Oracle Text (in Oracle 10g)
Hi, I'm working on a project using Oracle Text, and wondering if it is possible display "relevant" parts of any documents returned by a search (in a similar fashion to Google). Heres a summary of what I have so far: CREATE TABLE news( news_id NUMBER, --Primary key: starts from "1" name VARCHAR2(80), --Name of document document CLOB --Document itself ); INSERT INTO News(name, document) VALUES('Councils warned over spying laws', 'Councils in England have been urged to review the way they use surveillance powers to investigate suspected crime. Under laws brought in to help fight terrorism, councils can...'); If searching for "terrorism" for example, I can happily return the name of the document, and using the SUBSTR and INSTR operators, can return a substring from the document (either a substring starting at the start of the document, or ending at the end of the document). I would like to be able to return the part of the document relevant to the "terrorism" search criteria (Under laws......help fight terrorism) and was wondering if this was possible, as I could not find anything in the Oracle 10g documentation about how to do it. I have set up a text index to index all the entries in the "News" table, which seems to work fine: create index news_index on news (document) indextype is ctxsys.context; I have also written a package containing the following procedu...

Oracle on v40z vs Oracle on v490
Hello everyone! At the moment we have several RAC systems (Sun Fire V440, 4xUltraSparc IIIi-1062 MHz each, Oracle 10.1.0.4, up to 6 nodes). We are going to upgrade that hardware, and have now two options: to use Sun Fire V40z with dual-core AMD Opteron CPU, or to replace theses boxes with Sun Fire V490 with UltraSparc IV+. Some time ago we tested Oracle on V20z (2xAMD 875, 2.2 GHz) in comparision with our V440s, and found out, that AMD system is almost three tims faster than a v440. So, if we use v40z with 4xAMD 880 (2.4 GHz), we can expect up to 5.4 times performance improvement (3 times per core, and multiply by 1.8 - the second cores "weight"). But we know nothing about Oracle performance on UltraSparc IV+. SUN says, UltraSparc IV+ 1500 is UP TO 5 times faster than UltraSparc III. I've traied to find any real examples, but didn't find any... So i have two questions (really two blocks of questions :)) ) 1. Has anyone a Oracle 10g RAC system on an AMD-based server, with Linux64? Is that system reliable enough? What are you using as a shared storage? Has anyone any real experience with OCFS2? 2. Has anyone tested Oracle 10g RAC on Sun UltraSparc IV+ servers? What is your impression? Are these servers really 5 times faster than UltraSparc IIIi? If reliability and performance of an AMD system will be, at least, not worse, than the mentioned Sparc system, then v40z seems much more preferable for us - $40k per box looks ...

ORACLE RDB to Oracle 10g migration
All. Can anyone share their experiences on Oralce RDB VAX/OpenVMS platform (current version Rdb 7.0.31) to Oracle 10g on Linux? 1. How to we migrate ORACLE RDB objects to Oracle 10g? This includes tables, indexes, DBO views, Stored Procedure, Triggers etc. 2. How do we migrate data from Oracle RDB to Oracle 10g 3. Any challenges and issue we will face in such migration 4. Any tools that can be leveraged for this Migration. db2sysc@gmail.com wrote: > All. > > Can anyone share their experiences on Oralce RDB VAX/OpenVMS platform > (current version Rdb 7.0.31...

from sql server to oracle to ANOTHER oracle
I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. I try to write something like SELECT * FROM LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 but it does not work questions 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? 2) if so, how ? thank you! On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. > > I try to write something like > > =A0SELECT * FROM > =A0 LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 > > but it does not work > > questions > 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? > 2) if so, how ? > > thank you! use a synonym that points to the second linked table? On Nov 10, 9:27=A0pm, onedbguru <onedbg...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > > oracle db. I&#...

Linking with Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hi, I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an ldd shows libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 Thanks, Iain Iain William Wiseman <iwiseman@fred.co.nz> wrote: > I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. > > I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an > ldd shows > > libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 > > Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it > just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround > > i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 That soft link is a very bad idea. There are two good solutions: a) link the software against Oracle 10 b) install an Oracle 9 client. While a) may not always be possible, there's nothing to keep you from b). Yours, Laurenz Albe ...

oracle standard vs oracle enterprise
i heard that the most important different between oracle standard server and oracle enterprise server is that the second supports more than two processor (on a sun machine for example, the one i have). is it true? "gigg" <giorgior2003@tiscali.it> wrote in message news:c6ap8c$22j$1@fata.cs.interbusiness.it... > i heard that the most important different between oracle standard server and > oracle enterprise server is that the second supports more than two processor > (on a sun machine for example, the one i have). > is it true? Well the most important difference is the feature that you can't do without in your business. That may be dataguard, it may be query rewrite or any number of things. The one thing it won't be is supporting more than 2 processors since std edition is licensable on machines that support up to 4 processors - if you have 4 procs installed it will use them all. there is a document called 'a family of database products' available on technet that will tell you what the feature differences are. :( -- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA Audit Commission UK http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com/ gigg wrote: > i heard that the most important different between oracle standard server > and oracle enterprise server is that the second supports more than two > processor (on a sun machine for example, the one i have). > is it true? You might find a bit of research on Oracle's site to be useful as this...

oracle 10g and oracle 9i RMAN
According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then oracle 9i RMAN, because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording changes in blocks in a file. But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG files and how is it different. On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > oracle 9i RMAN, > because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording > changes in blocks in a file. > But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG > files and how is it different. The answer to this question is obvious (as with all of your questions, as you never RTFM and if you RTFM, don't try to *understand* the documentation). The redo log is a *chronological* collection of what Oracle calls change vectors. If you would need to determine which blocks have been changed since last backup, you *obviously* would have to scan through *ALL* redologs since last backup. The block change tracking file is a bitmapped file only stating the fact a specific block has changed. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA On Jul 10, 3:49 pm, sybrandb <sybra...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > > oracle 9i RMAN, > > because after enable block change tracking......

ORACLE RDB to Oracle 10g migration
All. Can anyone share their experiences on Oralce RDB VAX/OpenVMS platform (current version Rdb 7.0.31) to Oracle 10g on Linux? 1. How to we migrate ORACLE RDB objects to Oracle 9i? This includes tables, indexes, DBO views, Stored Procedure, Triggers etc. 2. How do we migrate data from Oracle RDB to Oracle 9i 3. Any challenges and issue we will face in such migration 4. Any tools that can be leveraged for this Migration. ...

Oracle vs access/ Access as frontend for Oracle
Hi all I want to build an application with .NET Framework C#/ and Oracle as Database, or with Access as Frontend for Oracle. What are the advantages / disadvantages of these ways (security, speed, query, etc.) ? Which one would be your choice and way? Thank you very much in advance for your opinion. regards SePp SePp wrote: > Hi all > > I want to build an application with .NET Framework C#/ and Oracle as > Database, > or with Access as Frontend for Oracle. > > What are the advantages / disadvantages of these ways (security, > speed, query, etc.) ? > Which one would be your choice and way? > > Thank you very much in advance for your opinion. > > regards > SePp The disadvantages are overwhelming. You are talking about a complete violation of governance, compliance, performance, scalability, and security as well as good sense. Microsoft Access is a toy best left for those who can't tell the difference between a database and a spreadsheet. If you want to front-end an application use APEX (HTML_DB), use Oracle Forms, use JDeveloper, use SOA Suite. But Access is brain-dead bloatware. Did I mention I don't like Access? <g> -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Nov 10, 2:36 am, SePp <C_o_z_...@gmx.de> wrote: > Hi all > > I want to build an application w...

How to make a dump for Oracle 9i with Oracle 10g
Hello, is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? Thank you, Norbert On Mar 31, 10:10=A0am, Norbert P=FCrringer <thalio...@graffiti.net> wrote: > Hello, > > is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in > order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > > Thank you, > Norbert Yes, and that's been covered any number of times in this newsgroup, on the web and in the Oracle documentation. I suggest you search the newsgroup archives, learn to use google or visit the documentation found here: http://tahiti.oracle.com David Fitzjarrell On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:10:48 -0700 (PDT), Norbert P�rringer <thalion77@graffiti.net> wrote: >Hello, > >is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in >order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > >Thank you, >Norbert This is a FAQ which should be prevented by searching the Internet. Usually only people in the Eastern Hemisphere are too lazy to do that, but I see the virus is spreading. You need the 9i exp to run against the 10g database. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

Web resources about - Oracle 9iAS vs Oracle 10g AS - comp.databases.oracle.server

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

News Oracle
The News Oracle is an online news outlet. The Oracle covers the most relevant stories from around the globe.

Oracle Acquires Facebook Data Partner Datalogix
One of Facebook’s data partners has a new owner, as Datalogix was acquired by Oracle , the two companies announced Tuesday. (more…) New Career ...

Google, Oracle setting up jurors to fail in API copyright retrial, judge says
(credit: Seabamirum ) One of the tech sector's biggest upcoming trials— Oracle v. Google —careened Tuesday away from the hot-button topic of ...

Oracle Rising: Past the Trough in Cloud Transition, Say Bulls
Shares of database giant Oracle ( ORCL ) are up $1.26, over 3%, at $40, in early trading, continuing last night’s gains, after the company yesterday ...

Larry Ellison shrugs off Amazon, Microsoft play for Oracle database business
Businesses that aren't worried when Amazon starts gunning for their customers need only give Borders Books and Music a call. That said, Oracle's ...

Riley Curry Made a Special Appearance on the Dance Cam at Oracle Arena - Bleacher Report
Riley Curry...back at it again with the heart-stealing. The young phenom gave her dad, Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry , a run for his ...

Here's the email Larry Ellison just sent to employees about a big change at Oracle
Oracle CEO Safra Catz made some interesting and cryptic comments about big changes coming to the company when talking to analysts after reporting ...

Oracle earnings beat estimates
Analysts had expected Oracle to report earnings of about 62 cents a share on $9.12 billion in revenue.