Oracle Application Server Internal Server Error

Hello,

We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB
back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main
application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a
couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an
"Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when
users try to login to the application.

Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms
service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the
web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system
can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else
experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start
looking?

We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they
won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do
as the patching process keeps failing.

Any help would be appreciated.

0
gnscon (1)

gnscon@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB
> back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main
> application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a
> couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an
> "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when
> users try to login to the application.
>
> Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms
> service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the
> web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system
> can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else
> experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start
> looking?
>
> We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they
> won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do
> as the patching process keeps failing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Without the exact error stack, I can hardly tell whether I have
seen *this* error. I have seen a load of internal Server errors,
accompanied by FRM-9xxxx codes.

There are (several!) metalink documents on how to tackle these
errors, start tracing, etc.
In the environment I witnessed these problems, it was due to
process limitations on the OS (Windows); setting the
"Allow service to Interact with the Desktop" option helped
for some time - in the end the customer ended up with more
iron - it now runs 6 machines, hardware load balancer.

I doubt the time out - although there is one particular
flavor of the error stack that indeed records some
http header time out. Not at work, so I can't check.

Anyway - the fastest road for you is to check metalink.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
On Oct 29, 9:36 pm, gns...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB
> back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main
> application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a
> couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an
> "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when
> users try to login to the application.
>
> Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms
> service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the
> web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system
> can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else
> experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start
> looking?
>
> We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they
> won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do
> as the patching process keeps failing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Try doing the keepalive stuff like in Note:392555.1 and the tracing in
some of its references.  May make it worse (for example, if you have
some process creation problem), but that would be informative too.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Haw Haw:  http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/98120

0
joel-garry (4553)
10/30/2007 9:45:15 PM
"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> gnscon@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB
>> back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main
>> application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a
>> couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an
>> "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when
>> users try to login to the application.
>>
>> Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms
>> service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the
>> web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system
>> can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else
>> experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start
>> looking?
>>
>> We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they
>> won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do
>> as the patching process keeps failing.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
> Without the exact error stack, I can hardly tell whether I have
> seen *this* error. I have seen a load of internal Server errors,
> accompanied by FRM-9xxxx codes.
>
> There are (several!) metalink documents on how to tackle these
> errors, start tracing, etc.
> In the environment I witnessed these problems, it was due to
> process limitations on the OS (Windows); setting the
> "Allow service to Interact with the Desktop" option helped

Not on the server, I hope......

Shakepeare

> for some time - in the end the customer ended up with more
> iron - it now runs 6 machines, hardware load balancer.
>
> I doubt the time out - although there is one particular
> flavor of the error stack that indeed records some
> http header time out. Not at work, so I can't check.
>
> Anyway - the fastest road for you is to check metalink.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

0
whatsin (688)
11/1/2007 2:52:40 PM
Shakespeare wrote:
> "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> There are (several!) metalink documents on how to tackle these
>> errors, start tracing, etc.
>> In the environment I witnessed these problems, it was due to
>> process limitations on the OS (Windows); setting the
>> "Allow service to Interact with the Desktop" option helped
>
> Not on the server, I hope......
>
> Shakepeare

Yep - on the server!
It causes Windows to change the distribution of memory
usage between heap and process memory (iirc - could be stack).
And of course, a windows server always has a desktop - it simply
cannot run headless.

And - it a Microsft KB artical, explaining this (which I do not
have handy - interested parties should look around Metalink, it's
referenced in one of the docs on Forms server instability on Windows).
I recall wording like "which seemed a good idea, then". The new
mechanism of memory usage was introduced in W2K, or NT4. NT3.51
used the old (and thus outperformed many NT4 based machines)
--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

Web resources about - Oracle Application Server Internal Server Error - comp.databases.oracle.server

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...