Oracle Database 10g. When ?

Hi

I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g

Thanks

0
mask (2)

Javier Villegas wrote:

>Hi
>
>I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g
>
>Thanks

If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it
is released.

And given that no software company is going to stick its neck out and
commit to a specific date in advance ...
you'll just have to learn patience.

About all I can tell you is that from my experience it blows 9i away and
when compared with its competition
from other vensors is amazing. Especially if you don' treat a database
as just a hyped up version of an Excel spreadsheet.

The only thing Oracle needs to do to make 10g a huge success is change
its pricing model and stop treating the database
as though it consists of nothing but columns and rows.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
10/1/2003 5:10:17 AM
Daniel Morgan <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1064985017.992531@yasure>...
> Javier Villegas wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I want to know when we could download Oracle Database 10g
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> If you were in the Beta program months ago. As you are not ... after it
> is released.
>
> And given that no software company is going to stick its neck out and
> commit to a specific date in advance ...
> you'll just have to learn patience.
>
> About all I can tell you is that from my experience it blows 9i away and
> when compared with its competition
> from other vensors is amazing. Especially if you don' treat a database
> as just a hyped up version of an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> The only thing Oracle needs to do to make 10g a huge success is change
> its pricing model and stop treating the database
> as though it consists of nothing but columns and rows.

alot of 3GL developers treat databases as excel spreadsheets,
unfortunately.
Wasnt 9i release about 9 months after it was announced? I believe it
was announced at Oracle World in September 2000, then released what
june/july 2001?

Its typically a year or so after release before you see many jobs
advertising that they are using it. Might be longer now, since with
the slow economy there is alot less new development.
0
rgaffuri (218)

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller. Jim Matt wrote: > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less > disk spaces. > Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle > on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i > in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g > users? > > Please advise. Thanks!! Actually, to get the same set of options ...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

SN#12788 Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity API Features in Oracle 10g Database
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 74 Issue 2 2004-04-12 Article 12788 from section "Developer's Section" Tutorial on Concepts and Usage The Oracle Technology Network provides a tutorial that outlines the features of Java[TM] DataBase Connectivity (JDBC[TM]) technology in relation to the new enhancements that they bring to the Oracle 10g database. The tutorial evaluates Web RowSets, Connection Cache, and Named Parameters, IEEE datatypes -- BINARY_DOUBLE and BINARY_FLOAT, and PL/SQL Index-by Tables. Each section in the tutorial covers topics such as concepts, design, required software, setup and application usage. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/74/2/opt-dev/?12788#12788 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users' delivered to you via email each week in PDF, text or HTML. Only the sections that you select will be included in your copy of the news magazine. Subscribe at http://sun.systemnews.com/subscribe (c) 2004 System News, Inc. http://www.systemnews.com ...

Oracle databases on a server

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

Oracle(r) Database 10g Release 2 Outperforms Microsoft SQL Server 2005 in Head-to-Head Comparison
Third Party Study Proves Oracle Database Can Deliver Substantial Savings Over Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Read Full Detail at http://technology-post.com/tech/?p=516 ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Cannot connect to Oracle 10g database
From SQL PLus, I cannot connect to our Oracle 10g database. The following errors shows up in the SQL-Plus. ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The same error comes even after a day, the database had been started. Database start fine without any errors, when it is started from Services. The emoms.log shows the following errors. 2008-04-22 17:28:20,234 [HttpRequestHandler-24044524] ERROR conn.ConnectionService verifyRepositoryEx.434 - Invalid Connection Pool. ERROR = Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=support- db3.actuate.com)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl10g))) 2008-04-22 17:28:20,250 [HttpRequestHandler-24044524] ERROR eml.OMSHandshake getParameterFromDB.563 - Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=support- db3.actuate.com)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl10g))) 2008-04-22 17:28:20,250 [HttpRequestHandler-24044524] ERROR eml.OMSHandshake processFailure.780 - OMSHandshake failed.(AGENT URL = http://support-db3.actuate.com:3938/emd/main)(ERROR = INTERNAL_ERROR) 20...

oracle database control in 10g
Is there a way to manage more than one database instance on a single host with oracle database 10G R2 STANDARD EDITION ONE out of the box ? The database control web application is OK, but it looks like you can only manage a single database instance with it. Installing OEM Grid Control is a bit overkill (you need a third instance for the repository I thing, and you also seems to need oracle database ENTERPRISE edition) for a standard edition one setup. Other than command line utilities, what tools does oracle provide for people running the standard edition one version of the database ? Thanks On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:45:47 -0400, G Dahler interested us by writing: > Is there a way to manage more than one database instance on a single host > with oracle database 10G R2 STANDARD EDITION ONE out of the box ? > > The database control web application is OK, but it looks like you can only > manage a single database instance with it. > Design intent. > Installing OEM Grid Control is a bit overkill (you need a third instance for > the repository I thing, and you also seems to need oracle database > ENTERPRISE edition) for a standard edition one setup. > Separate the management of individual instances by using different ports. One EM DB Control = one instance by design intent! You are right that Grid may seem overkill at this time. However, consider that the DBA should possibly have a DB for internal DBA use on a separate machine and all of a...

Attach a database in Oracle 10g
Hi, I have been sent a copy of a database and would like to be able to access it. I copied it to a subdirectory under the oradata directory. I'm using WinXP and Oracle 10g. How do I go about attaching to this database? I can use the Database Configuration Assistant to create a new database, but I can't find a way to attach to an existing one. Thanks, - Greg Greg Doherty wrote: > Hi, > > I have been sent a copy of a database and would like to be able to access > it. I copied it to a subdirectory under the oradata directory. I'm using > WinXP and Oracle 10g. How do I go about attaching to this database? I can > use the Database Configuration Assistant to create a new database, but I > can't find a way to attach to an existing one. > > Thanks, > - Greg > > A bit more detail would be nice. What exactly is in the database that you've been given? All data files? All online redo logs? All control files? The spfile and/or the init.ora? If yes to all of the above, and if the original database was copied when it was cold, and after it had been shutdown cleanly, then you should be able to.... 1. Use oradim at the command line to create the service needed to support the instance you're going to create. oradim -new -sid XXX -pfile c:\wherever\your\init.ora\or\spfile\is 2. set ORACLE_SID=XXX 3. Sqlplus "/ as sysdba" But it could get a lot more complicated than that. Regards HJR The databas...

oracle 10g database on laptop
I've installed Oracle 10g Personal database on my laptop. I did that hadn't been connected to the network. The database installed properly. I could even start Enterprise Manager. Then I took my laptop to the company and connected it to LAN where I dynamically get private IP address. After that my Oracle 10g database is working (I can ran PLSQL etc) but my Enterprise Manager doesn't want to start. Could you advice me how to configure my database (listener, tnsnames) to use EM in both situations? Do I need two listeners? Regards adam Hi Adam, to help you we need more information. Which OS did you use. How did you try to start Enterprise manager? emctl dbconsole start !? You are aware that you need a browser to connect to EM via http://your_server:5505/em/ ? I suppose you are using Windows, in this case i can't help you. regards, Toni In article <11c2a61f.0404270059.586a33c3@posting.google.com>, adamjz <adamjz@klub.chip.pl> wrote: > I've installed Oracle 10g Personal database on my laptop. I did that > hadn't been connected to the network. The database installed properly. > I could even start Enterprise Manager. > Then I took my laptop to the company and connected it to LAN where I > dynamically get private IP address. After that my Oracle 10g database > is working (I can ran PLSQL etc) but my Enterprise Manager doesn't > want to start. > Could you advice me how to configure my database (listener, tnsna...

Oracle database release after 10g?
hi Does anybody have information regarding what the future database release plans after 10gR2? Regards Why so eager? "Hari Vetsa" <hari.vetsa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150219929.005130.120520@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > hi > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > release plans after 10gR2? > > Regards > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:32:09 -0700, Hari Vetsa wrote: > hi > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > release plans after 10gR2? > It will be mauve in color. -- http://www.mgogala.com Mladen Gogala wrote: > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:32:09 -0700, Hari Vetsa wrote: > > > hi > > > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > > release plans after 10gR2? > > > > It will be mauve in color. > > -- > http://www.mgogala.com Database will have nose piercings and tattoos and would allow SQL written in IM speak only. Hari Vetsa wrote: > hi > > Does anybody have information regarding what the future database > release plans after 10gR2? Many of us are expecting that Oracle will announce something at Open World this fall. There are some unubstantiated rumours that "pre beta" quality 11 stuff may already be circulating. They may only announce that 11 is not yet ready to beta, there may be some hints about some of what will be included, who knows? If t...

AWR in oracle database 10g
Hi All, I would like to know if AWR (Automatic Workload Repository) in oracle database 10g is an enhanced version of statspack tightly integrated with the database or it is more than that? Many Thanks, KDB itzkdb@rediffmail.com (KDB) writes: > Hi All, > I would like to know if AWR (Automatic Workload Repository) in > oracle database 10g is an enhanced version of statspack tightly > integrated with the database or it is more than that? > From the 10g concepts guide: "Automatic Workload Repository (AWR) is a built-in repository in every Oracle Database. At regular intervals, the Oracle Database makes a snapshot of all its vital statistics and workload information and stores them in AWR." It's a completely new feature. Harald ...

Web resources about - Oracle Database 10g. When ? - comp.databases.oracle.server