Oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file

oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file.

we have Oracle 10g(10.2.0.1)(HP DL380) databse server from Windows
2003 R2 for test/simulation purpose,
we found that its shutting down the database sometimes unusally
without any error/warning message in the SID alert log file.

we observerd that the OS service for oracle is not starting the
datbase server completely.
Just after hitting start icon inside the services panel it displays
the status "Starting", instead of "Started"
 and database is not in the "Open" state.

So the method adopted to start the database from services as well
using the "Startup" command from server manager utility.

Why does this happen?

0
7guru (1)

On Apr 17, 12:19 pm, 7guru <7...@naver.com> wrote:
> oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file.
>
> we have Oracle 10g(10.2.0.1)(HP DL380) databse server from Windows
> 2003 R2 for test/simulation purpose,
> we found that its shutting down the database sometimes unusally
> without any error/warning message in the SID alert log file.
>
> we observerd that the OS service for oracle is not starting the
> datbase server completely.
> Just after hitting start icon inside the services panel it displays
> the status "Starting", instead of "Started"
>  and database is not in the "Open" state.
>
> So the method adopted to start the database from services as well
> using the "Startup" command from server manager utility.
>
> Why does this happen?

1 If you shutdown the database shutting the service you issue a
shutdown immediate.
If the shutdown immediate doesn't complete within
ora_<sid>_shutdown_timeout seconds (defined in the registry), the
service will be killed and a shutdown abort will be issued. Shutdown
aborts don't leave any traces. It is identical to switching the power
off.

2 You need to verify oradim.log in %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE or the
alert.log for your database. Usually the problem is reported there.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

0
sybrandb1 (715)

Archive logs files accumulating on my Oracle log mode Database
>From what I understand is that an Oracle log mode Database is the recommended configuration for a production database. However, the problem we have is that Archive Logs files in the ..\RDBMS\ directory are accumulating daily which has implications when you have limited disk space. How should these Archive log files be maintained? ie when should they be deleted from the system? is there an automated procedure which will remove the log files on a weekly basis? I understand that there are two ways for performing a backup of the oracle database, 1) cold backup (requires the oracle database...

detach database, attach database without log file
If I detach a database on a server, then attach the database with a single file only using the data file...will I lose any transactions that were in the original log file? There is a debate going on here at work where some people think that during the detach, transactions in the log file are saved to the data file. Thanks! Hi You will not loose any committed transactions. Uncommitted transactions will normally be rolled back rolled back even if you attached the log file!! If this did happen it would be indicated in the SQL Server log file. John "DBA" <kaylisse@yahoo.com> ...

change non-logged database to logged database
To change non-logged database to logged database. Anything I need to change in 4gl program ? --20cf30363ebb7d073f04c6d06141 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Probably yes. There are certain things you must do differently or that you can't do... I should have a list somewhere but for now: - lock table must be inside a transaction - there is no "unlock table". Simply close the transaction - you may get (more) locking errors and the programs should be able to handle that - you should prevent long transactions which may force you to split large operations...

redo log file on Oracle 11g physical database
Parameter 'LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT' definition is: " Specify the location of the primary database online redo log files followed by the standby location. This parameter converts the path names of the primary database log files to the path names on the standby database. If the standby database is on the same system as the primary database or if the directory structure where the log files are located on the standby system is different from the primary system, then this parameter is required. Multiple pairs of paths may be specified by this parameter. " As I understand, if the re...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

Oracle Log miner or similar for Oracle 7 redo logs.
Hello: There is any way to use logminer with Oracle 7.3 redologs ? or there is any GNU-Free tool, or API to read Redologs for Oracle 7.3 ? thanks in advance Jorge V.S.'040520 On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:13:02 -0400, Jorge Valenzuela <jvalen@poliedros.net> wrote: >Hello: > >There is any way to use logminer with Oracle 7.3 redologs ? or >there is any GNU-Free tool, or API to read Redologs for Oracle 7.3 ? > >thanks in advance > >Jorge V.S.'040520 1 No 2 There has been a commercial tool. Don't recall what it is was called, and it is unlikely if they still support it: Oracle 7.3 is stone age sw. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA ...

Re-logging into An Oracle Database
I am working on an Access 2002/Oracle vba automated overnight process. The problem is there is one user with rights to a certian set of tables and another user with a certain set of tables. I can't run the overnight process with just one login. Currently, I am having problems with relogging into the database with a different login. Even when I enter a different userid and password into a connection string, the system seems to still use to old login and password. Is there a better way to relog into the system? Here is the connection string I am using. "ODBC;DSN=dsnname;uid=user...

Relationship between Oracle log file size and Oracle performance
hi, Last day, I cleared our Oracle DB server network listener's log file, which is around 1.7GB. After doing that, I found I/O queue size decrease A =A3=CC=A3=CF=A3=D4, = while 'sar 3 5' shows wio keeps be to higher than 65%. The oracle version is 8.1.7 running on HP-UX 11i. I want to tune DB performance further. So, I want to know whether this relationship between Oracle perfromance and network listener log file size ? Is there any relationship between Oracle performance and redo log file size? (Our current redo log file size is 500MB, there are two redo logfil...

attaching a database without a log file
Hi is it possible to attach a database when a log file is missing? My database had one .MDF file and 2 .LDFs. I lost one of the .LDFs. Is it possible to recover any data? Tegie "Tomek Grzegorz" <tgrzegorz@piaskowski.pl> wrote in message news:bvj7ob$j75$1@atlantis.news.tpi.pl... > Hi > > is it possible to attach a database when a log file is missing? > > My database had one .MDF file and 2 .LDFs. I lost one of the .LDFs. Is it > possible to recover any data? > > Tegie > > Probably not - sp_attach_db requires all the database files, and sp_at...

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

Restore of database file and log file
Hi, I have a Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 7 database running. I have a database file that is dated june 12, 2003 I have the database log file from yesterday. The backupsoftware have not backed up the database file since june 12 because it did not back up open files. So, can i merge my database file frome june 12 and my logfile from yesterday and have all the changes since june 12 committed ? If, so how do i do it ? Can't see any tools in the Sybase Central that can help me out... This is a library database and my librarian is not happy at the moment..... ...

Problem with Oracle standby database (automatic transfer of archived logs)
I am on HP UNIX 11 and still on Oracle 8.1.6.1 (cannot move to another version). I setup a standby database and am using Oracle's automatic mechanism to transfer archived logs from primary to standby database by setting: log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=kdcsb OPTIONAL REOPEN=60' Before moving to production, I did testing of this setup for several months by manually switching an archived log every 15 minutes and everything ran fine. Now, I have moved to production and am finding this setup is not working: 1. Oracle sometimes only partial archived log causing recovery to fail on stan...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

why do we need to shutdown database or application server to backup Oracle Home?
Dear Group, We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log files. Any explanations will be highly appreciated. Thanks On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:52:16 -0700, cs3526 wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, Reading...

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to s...

Database Log-file
Hello, my db2 V8.1 stopped just without any reason. Now I am wondering where I con find a log file which explains this behaviour... I cant find anything in the instance directory. The database is running on a Linux system Any help would be appreciated. Greetings, Jan The db2diag.log should be under the instance owner's directory, in sqllib/db2dump directory. If it's not that way on your system, you may have to search the whole instance owner's directory structure. But db2diag.log will be in there somewhere! It tells you what DB2 thinks happened when it cr...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a databas...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Tha...

Web resources about - Oracle database instance shutdown without logging in log file - comp.databases.oracle.server

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...