Oracle databases on a server

I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.

I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.

Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
server?

1
pwu (17)

On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote:
> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>
> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>
> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> server?

No, these might be different *services* served by the same instance.
The first place to look at is /var/opt/oracle/oratab file, which
should list all Oracle instances on your host. If your Oracle
installation follows OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture,) which is
usually true, count $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<dbname> directories - each
database should have its own directory under admin. Alternatively, you
can also count spfile<SID>.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.

Hth,
   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
   http://www.dynamicpsp.com
-1
2/20/2009 9:34:27 AM
On 20 Feb, 06:00, p...@qantas.com.au wrote:
> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>
> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>
> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> server?

In addition to Vladimir Zakharychev's suggestions, the following
command will list all running instances:

ps -eaf | grep pmon

HTH

-g
1
gareth2106 (865)
2/20/2009 12:05:58 PM
On Feb 20, 7:05=A0am, gar...@jamms.org wrote:
> On 20 Feb, 06:00, p...@qantas.com.au wrote:
>
> > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>
> > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>
> > Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> > are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> > server?
>
> In addition to Vladimir Zakharychev's suggestions, the following
> command will list all running instances:
>
> ps -eaf | grep pmon
>
> HTH
>
> -g

As posted the ps command can find running instances of Oracle.  It is
also possible that you could have some created but non-running
databases.  This is unlikely but there could be an old test, model
office, or database in the process of being sundowned that is there
but not running so also check you oratab file.  On many systems this
is under /etc.  If not there try /var/opt/oracle.  Also look the file
systems over for what appear to be Oracle database data files that are
not part of your current databases.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

0
Mark.Powell (1630)
2/20/2009 5:39:13 PM
On Feb 19, 10:00=A0pm, p...@qantas.com.au wrote:
> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>
> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>
> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
> server?

Some more obscure possibilities in http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.j=
spa?threadID=3D852227&tstart=3D0

The oratab and inventory _should_ tell you all you need, but people do
all sorts of strange things, and you have to go into a new running
system with eyes wide open.  The way some Oracle features work, it is
entirely possible to have database files that appear to have been
untouched for a very long time.

In addition, there can be complications with other types of software
such as application servers.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Butthead.  Slumdog Squarepants.  Milk,
Bobby Z. wrote:
> On Feb 20, 9:00 am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote:
>> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
>> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>>
>> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>>
>> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
>> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
>> server?
>
> No, these might be different *services* served by the same instance.
> The first place to look at is /var/opt/oracle/oratab file, which
> should list all Oracle instances on your host. If your Oracle
> installation follows OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture,) which is
> usually true, count $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<dbname> directories - each
> database should have its own directory under admin. Alternatively, you
> can also count spfile<SID>.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory.

It could be that he also could have multiple versions installed - I have
a couple of boxes that run some variant of 8,9 and 10 (don't ask - I
have already been beating them up to get current)

On UNIX learn the 'find' command... like
find / -name init*.ora -exec ls -la {} \; 2>/dev/null

This will find all of the init.ora files and tell you when they were
last modified and if there are "permission denied" errors - send them to
the bit bucket.

> Hth,
>    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
>    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
>    http://www.dynamicpsp.com
0
maustin (1437)
2/21/2009 2:20:47 AM
On 20.02.2009 13:05, gareth@jamms.org wrote:
> On 20 Feb, 06:00, p...@qantas.com.au wrote:
>> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
>> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>>
>> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.
>>
>> Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server
>> are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this
>> server?
>
> In addition to Vladimir Zakharychev's suggestions, the following
> command will list all running instances:
>
> ps -eaf | grep pmon

Yet another option to find running instances is to query all listeners
on the machine (that you know of) with lsnrctl's command "services".
There are so many ways...

Cheers

	robert
0
shortcutter (5830)
2/21/2009 10:10:44 AM
On Feb 20, 1:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote:
> I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is
> running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8.
>
> I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server.

Maybe it is just me but I am wondering how and why you are allowed to
login to this server.

Did you try asking a relevant technical contact for your company like
one of the DBA's for example?
0
johnbhurley (2707)

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's ther...

I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without any problems. Is there anybody that did that before? Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science Teacher http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon I've installed it on windows 2003 enterprise ed. about 1 month ago without any problem. I've installed the version 9.2.0.1 with the patch to 9.2.0.3. 9.2.0.3 is the only version certified by oracle for win 2003. Ciao "Yvon Bouchard" <yvon.bouchard@cablevision.qc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio n...

SqlSpec
Do you wish you had comprehensive, easily navigable documentation for your SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, and Access databases? Are you a SQL Developer or DBA that just inherited a huge, complex database with no supporting docs and don't know where to start learning how it's put together? Are you an independent contractor working with SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, or Access? Your clients would LOVE you if you could provide comprehensive documentation about the databases you build. Are you a Project Manager who is tired of developers making chan...

Hi all, I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i client connected to oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) , and I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. Thanks Angel R. wrote: > Hi all, > I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i > client connected to > oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) > , and > I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. > > Thanks If...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d...

Oracle-to-SQL Server database link
Is anyone working with databases on both Oracle and SQL Server and using an Oracle database link to successfully query a SQL Server database? The Oracle database is running under AIX. It looks like the Oracle is working fine - database link is established - but the response to querying the SQL Server database is ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed This appears to me to be possibly a situation where the SQL Server is not 'trusting' the Oracle machine to query its database. I have checked to make sure that the port numbers on both sides are the same (when differnet, the er...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesyst...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer ...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www....

Web resources about - Oracle databases on a server - comp.databases.oracle.server

IObit Driver Booster debuts new fix-it tool, widens driver update database
... The update also includes various optimizations to improve user experience, performance and stability, plus widens the tool’s driver database ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...