Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views??

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look
into replication from Oracle to Sql Server.  He's the situation:
We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not
allowed to configure or change the db).
We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to
query the Oracle database.

With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database?  Can
we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another
Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the
delta for subsequent replications?

Any tips and hints would be helpful.  Pleeease!

Thanx,

Doemon
0
doemon (1)

doemon@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look
> into replication from Oracle to Sql Server.  He's the situation:
> We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not
> allowed to configure or change the db).
> We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to
> query the Oracle database.
>
> With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database?  Can
> we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another
> Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the
> delta for subsequent replications?
>
> Any tips and hints would be helpful.  Pleeease!

I don't know the answer to the second question, nor your versions, but
the first should be straightforward enough. Set up an ODBC connection to
the Oracle database and create a DTS job.

Palooka
0
nobody (5159)
8/12/2008 10:25:44 PM
doemon@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look
> into replication from Oracle to Sql Server.  He's the situation:
> We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not
> allowed to configure or change the db).
> We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to
> query the Oracle database.
>
> With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database?  Can
> we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another
> Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the
> delta for subsequent replications?
>
> Any tips and hints would be helpful.  Pleeease!
>
> Thanx,
>
> Doemon

Go to http://otn.oracle.com and download a copy, free, of Application
Express. It will seamlessly run circles around what you are proposing.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor

Replicating Oracle DB Tables to SQL Server 2000 DB
Greetings, I am hoping someone can help and lead me in the correct direction on a situation my company's facing. We run and support MSSQL 2000. We have a project that requires access to data that is being collected from all over the US, but this data is all collected in an Oracle database. This Oracle database is not on our network. One of our options would be to purchase Oracle and hire a full-time Oracle DBA. Not the option we want unless we absolutely have to. So, what needs to be done to sync up or replicate the tables (on a nightly basis) that are in Oracle to o...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services,
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit ...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services,
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

[...]

how to connect oracle reports to MS-sql server DB
Hi, I need to connect oracle reports 6i to MS-sql server-2000.oracle reports is in o/s windows2000 professional. I installed odbc driver, created user DSN, tested. I'm able to connect from oracle sql plus to sql server, but when im trying to connect from oracle reports(username/passwd@odbc:dsn_name:databse), im geting error "service handle not initialised'. How to solve this? > Hi, > I need to connect oracle reports 6i to MS-sql server-2000.oracle > reports is in o/s windows2000 professional. I installed odbc driver, > created user DSN, tested. I'm able to connect from oracle sql plus to > sql server, but when im trying to connect from oracle > reports(username/passwd@odbc:dsn_name:databse), im geting error > "service handle not initialised'. How to solve this? Have U added your service into tnsnames.ora in oracle home dictionary? Juchny "Juchny" <juchny@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:<bpf66t$o8u$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>... > > Hi, > > I need to connect oracle reports 6i to MS-sql server-2000.oracle > > reports is in o/s windows2000 professional. I installed odbc driver, > > created user DSN, tested. I'm able to connect from oracle sql plus to > > sql server, but when im trying to connect from oracle > > reports(username/passwd@odbc:dsn_name:databse), im geting error > > "service handle not initialised'. How...

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway...

Access2003
This is the vba code Set db =3D CurrentDb On error goto fErr =85. loop strSql =3D "UPDATE tblInvAnalysisWhse" & _ " SET ltDeviation =3D " & Sqr(dblError / intPeriods) & _ " WHERE item =3D '" & Trim(strItem) & "'" & _ " AND location =3D " & intLocation dblCount =3D dblCount + 1 db.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError fErr: stop resume next db.execute always fails after 1246 iterations, with - [Microsoft][ODB...

Once a week Kerberos failure between IIS6 web server and SQL Server 2000 db server
Hi, Regularly once a week we get problems with a Kerberos failure on ouintranet application. Kerberos is set up with Constrained Delegation and Protocol Transition. Configuration: S3 ...

Oracle replication and MS SQL-server
Hi In our company we have an ERP-system, which runs on an Oracle 10g. In the warehouse we are now installing a transport system for moving pallets from one location to another. This system runs on ms sqlserver. If people in the warehouse wants the transport system to move a pallet, they make a transport order in the ERP-system. This generates a record in the table TRANSPORTORDER in the oracle. TRANSPORTORDER looks like this: Id PalletId FromLocation ToLocation Status -- -------- ------------ ---------- ------ 1 1000 A10 B12 2 2 4564 B12 F11 1 5 1002 A23 C24 3 6 5353 A12 A13 0 7 1234 A33 B44 0 The status means: 0 - Not send to transport system yet 1 - Waiting for transport system to complete job 2 - Ok. Job completed 3 - Error. Job could not be not completed I need to send all records with status 0 to the sqlserver. The status must then change to 1, so that I don't send the same job 2 times. The transport system now executes the transport order (if possible), and returns an answer in the table JOBSTATUS on the sqlserver. JOBSTATUS looks like this: Id TransportId Status -- ----------- ------ 1 1 2 2 5 3 According to this jobstatus, I must update TRANSPORTORDERS in my oracle. There will be aproximately 10 transportorders every minut, and the job completes 3-15 minutes after the transpo...

SqlSpec

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > &...

Connecting to SQL Server DB on web server
I'm trying to get Access 2003 to connect to Microsft SQL Server on a web server. I can open the linked table without any problem, but whenever I run the code on my form, it returns this error: Datatyle mismatch in the query expression. Heres the Microsfot SQL Server details... server: mssql.pipeten.com username: budgete_kingsgate password: thehub database: budgete_kingsgate And heres the code... 'open recordset Dim CurrentUserCount As Integer Dim CurrentUser As DAO.Recordset Set db = CurrentDb Set CurrentUser = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT * F...

Linked Server Error Between SQL Server and Oracle
I have used Linked Servers to hook up to an Oracle 9i database in SQL Server 2000. I can see all the Tables and Views when I look in the linked server section. I can also run the following SQL statement : Select * from Orcldb..SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites and get a return result. The problem I realize is that some of the tables are going to be quite larger and I can't wait for SQL Server to download all the data and parse it itself, so I tried to use a passthrough query like so : SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(OrclDB, 'SELECT * FROM SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites') Unfortunately this gives m...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

Help! SQL Server error
Dear all, On Win2000 server with SP3, I am trying to access a SQL Server 7.0 database, "TestDB", from VB6 via a SQL Server ODBC system DSN using ADO 2.7. In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, there is a login named "Tester". In its property window, NO "Server Roles" was assigned but its "Database Access" was set to "TestDB". This login was also made as the user of "TestDB" with "public", "db_datareader" and "db_datawriter" selected as its "Database role membership". All the tables I am trying to ac...

Oracle DB Server and Web Server with thai support
Hi, all I have DB Server ( Sun Server act as Oracle 8i DB Server ). and I have Web Server ( Dell Server RHEL4 ES act as Web Server run apache2 + php + Zendcore for oracle ) I want to use My Application run from Web Server to Connect Oracle Server . and want to use thai support of oracle. What next i should to do more ? ::: config. httpd.conf of apache2 of Web Server ? ::: config. code of my PHP-application ? ::: config. Oracle DB Server ? ::: config. RHEL4 Server ? and i want someone tell me the detail and step to me. Please me. Thank you very much Pratchaya On 19 Feb 2006...

SQL server replication from non-clustered database servers
Hello, Being a bit of a SQL Server novice, need some advice with the following situation. Server A and Server B have SQLServer 2000 based databases. The vendor of the application/system has implemented their own replication process to ensure the 2 databases are in sync. However, there is no clustering with virtual IP addresses implemented. So to an external client/db, it is 2 identical databases with the same name on 2 distinct servers. We need to develop an application that will reside on a networked server C and with SQLServer 2000 as well. While most of the tables in this database are se...

Exporting MS SQL Server or Oracle Databases to MySQL
I also posted similarly in mailing.database.mysql I have created a rather large (60 table database) website dealio in PHP that works with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and presumably any other data base I add to the wrapper functions that I created. All the development was done in Oracle, but now its time to create that large datastructure again in MySQL -- now I've built this all in notepad for Oracle (twice) and built it in SQL Server using the SQL Server import tools (pretty nice) -- is there anything that I can do that to get this datastructure and maybe even the data into MySQL using...

Materialized view set up between Oracle and MS SQL Server
All, I would like to know if we can set up similar to Materized view between Source -->Oracle RDMS replicating site --> MS SQL Server Looks DB link can be created between MS SQL server to Oracle server regards On Tue, 17 May 2011 22:21:15 -0700, Kaparwan wrote: > All, > > I would like to know if we can set up similar to Materized view between > > Source -->Oracle RDMS > > replicating site --> MS SQL Server > > > Looks DB link can be created between MS SQL server to Oracle server > > > regards Golden Gate can do that. -- ht...

Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Folks, I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your collective wisdom: Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE database on a different host? What tools would one need in order to accomplish the above? Regards Paul Christidis * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Hi Paul, take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. http://...

SQL Server 2000 db migration to Oracle 9i
Hi, Can anyone let me know of a tool which shall migrate the entire SQL Server 2000 database to Oracle 9i along with all the stored procedures .. Someone in the net has posted that a tool comes with the Oracle 9i software . Any help would be appreciated . Thanks , Sujay <ghosh.sujay@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1110551038.488200.83020@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Can anyone let me know of a tool which shall migrate the entire SQL > Server 2000 database to Oracle 9i along with all the stored procedures > . Someone in the n...

Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000
Hi, Do you know if it is possible to restore database (backup) from SQL Server 6.5 in SQL Server 2000? Best Regards, Wojtek -- (Remove bez.syfu get my e-mail address) ...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

Web resources about - Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views?? - comp.databases.oracle.server

Replication (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in space , i.e. executed on separate devices, or it could be replicated in time , if it is executed repeatedly on a single device. Replication ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Violin to bring deduplication, replication, other tools to all-flash storage arrays
Violin Memory plans to add deduplication, thin provisioning, snapshots and other features in a software update for its all-flash storage arrays, ...