Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views??

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look
into replication from Oracle to Sql Server.  He's the situation:
We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not
allowed to configure or change the db).
We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to
query the Oracle database.

With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database?  Can
we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another
Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the
delta for subsequent replications?

Any tips and hints would be helpful.  Pleeease!

Thanx,

Doemon
0
doemon (1)

doemon@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look
> into replication from Oracle to Sql Server.  He's the situation:
> We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not
> allowed to configure or change the db).
> We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to
> query the Oracle database.
>
> With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database?  Can
> we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another
> Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the
> delta for subsequent replications?
>
> Any tips and hints would be helpful.  Pleeease!

I don't know the answer to the second question, nor your versions, but
the first should be straightforward enough. Set up an ODBC connection to
the Oracle database and create a DTS job.

Palooka
0
nobody (5159)
8/12/2008 10:25:44 PM
doemon@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look
> into replication from Oracle to Sql Server.  He's the situation:
> We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not
> allowed to configure or change the db).
> We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to
> query the Oracle database.
>
> With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database?  Can
> we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another
> Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the
> delta for subsequent replications?
>
> Any tips and hints would be helpful.  Pleeease!
>
> Thanx,
>
> Doemon

Go to http://otn.oracle.com and download a copy, free, of Application
Express. It will seamlessly run circles around what you are proposing.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor