Oracle server Upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2 on Windows 2003

Hi All,
I am trying to upgrade an Oracle server running 9.0 on Win 2003. I do
not want to keep 2 Oracle Homes for 9.0 and 9.2. I would rather
uninstall 9.0 using oui. I will import the data from production
database from export files. What will be my best (easy, hassle free)
course of action:

1. Shutdown the current 9.0 instance
2. Drop the current 9.0 db
3. Uninstall the current 9.0 executibls using oui
4. Install the 9.2 executibles
5. Create new db instance
6. Import the data from export files

Is this a good idea? Or should I have 2 Oracle Homes by installing 9.2
and upgrade the 9.0 db using dbua? Only problem is I cant find the
dbua in the current 9.0 setup. Your advice / experience / feedback
will really appreciated. Thanx in advance.
0
wchy65 (3)

Personally, I'd install 9.2 in a second Oracle Home and then upgrade the
database. Once it is all done, feel free to remove the 9.0 software in
that home. You'll use the DBUA in the 9.2 home, not the 9.0 one!

HTH,
Brian

Wade Chy wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am trying to upgrade an Oracle server running 9.0 on Win 2003. I do
> not want to keep 2 Oracle Homes for 9.0 and 9.2. I would rather
> uninstall 9.0 using oui. I will import the data from production
> database from export files. What will be my best (easy, hassle free)
> course of action:
>
> 1. Shutdown the current 9.0 instance
> 2. Drop the current 9.0 db
> 3. Uninstall the current 9.0 executibls using oui
> 4. Install the 9.2 executibles
> 5. Create new db instance
> 6. Import the data from export files
>
> Is this a good idea? Or should I have 2 Oracle Homes by installing 9.2
> and upgrade the 9.0 db using dbua? Only problem is I cant find the
> dbua in the current 9.0 setup. Your advice / experience / feedback
> will really appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Brian Peasland
dba@remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"
0
dba1 (382)
11/5/2003 9:16:53 PM
wchy65@yahoo.com (Wade Chy) wrote in message news:<4fad73ef.0311051201.443ddfc7@posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
> I am trying to upgrade an Oracle server running 9.0 on Win 2003. I do
> not want to keep 2 Oracle Homes for 9.0 and 9.2. I would rather
> uninstall 9.0 using oui. I will import the data from production
> database from export files. What will be my best (easy, hassle free)
> course of action:
>
> 1. Shutdown the current 9.0 instance
> 2. Drop the current 9.0 db
> 3. Uninstall the current 9.0 executibls using oui
> 4. Install the 9.2 executibles
> 5. Create new db instance
> 6. Import the data from export files
>
> Is this a good idea? Or should I have 2 Oracle Homes by installing 9.2
> and upgrade the 9.0 db using dbua? Only problem is I cant find the
> dbua in the current 9.0 setup. Your advice / experience / feedback
> will really appreciated. Thanx in advance.

metalink has a document about removing all traces of an oracle home
from windows, but I don't think it is complete.  I've provisionally
decided that once a home is used, it can never be used again.  Others
may have different opinions.  I'm a unix bigot, anyways.  I haven't
used dbua, but it is installed under configuration and migration tools
in 9iR2 (run from the start menu, not some .exe).  One of it's runtime
options is to ask if you've done a backup.  From the migration doc,
looks like it is pretty friendly about what it lets you do under
various circumstances.  Read those docs!  :-)

People rave about ORADIM being a friend, but I think it is more a
fiend.  Don't even ask my opinion of the registry.
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=FOR&p_id=422535.999

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.