f



Parallel Application Processing

Suggestions appreciated on how to tackle parallel application
processing on a single large Oracle table.

The PL/SQL application processes needs to grab n rows for update,
process, update and commit them. Several of these application processes
need to be run in parallel due to the data volumes.

The problem is ensuring that each parallel application process grabs a
different set of rows for processing so that there are no contention -
with one app process either waiting for another or raising an exception
as its attempt to grab rows hit already locked rows.

I've tried the following basic SQL construct:
select * from table sample(m) where rownum < n for update nowait skip
locked

The idea is to grab any random sample of data, and from that attempt to
grab at most n rows that are not locked, and lock them for updating.

If the sample is not used, then each process will/could hit the same
rows which means the 1st one may get n rows to lock and the 2nd process
will find nothing as it will simply skip n rows. A method is thus
needed to randomly identify a m set of rows and grab n rows for
updating from it.

Does this method make sense? Are there better methods to consider?

Thanks.

--
Billy

0
vslabs (344)
8/8/2005 10:09:28 AM
comp.databases.oracle.server 22978 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

6 Replies
799 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 8

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 03:09:28 -0700, Billy wrote:

> Does this method make sense? Are there better methods to consider?

Partitioning it by hash (or range, if you can do that) and then acessing
different partitions in parallel would seem like the perfect way.

-- 
http://www.mgogala.com

0
gogala (1324)
8/8/2005 10:21:41 AM
Mladen Gogala wrote:

> > Does this method make sense? Are there better methods to consider?
>
> Partitioning it by hash (or range, if you can do that) and then acessing
> different partitions in parallel would seem like the perfect way.

Oracle SE. Partitioning is not available.

Not that this partitioning is actually a solution in itself. One can
simply specify the partition range as part of the predicate without
needing to have partitioning. e.g.
select * from table where datetime between :date_from and :date_to

The problem with this is that the process now needs to go and determine
what ranges of values it can process. Which date ranges ara valid
candidates? Which date ranges are currently busy being processed? Which
has not yet been processed? Which has been processed but failed
processing?

How do you deal with these management complexities? Writing additional
code? Adding tables to manage the processing? The more moving parts
there are, the bigger the chance of failure. The slower performance.

Versus simply telling the process find *any* n number of rows that
needs processing and doing its process & update thing. And running
potentially 100's of these in parallel.

Sorry, I cannot see your suggestion as a viable solution.

--
Billy

0
vslabs (344)
8/8/2005 11:00:16 AM
Billy wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
> 
> 
>>>Does this method make sense? Are there better methods to consider?
>>
>>Partitioning it by hash (or range, if you can do that) and then acessing
>>different partitions in parallel would seem like the perfect way.
> 
> 
> Oracle SE. Partitioning is not available.
> 
> Not that this partitioning is actually a solution in itself. One can
> simply specify the partition range as part of the predicate without
> needing to have partitioning. e.g.
> select * from table where datetime between :date_from and :date_to
> 
> The problem with this is that the process now needs to go and determine
> what ranges of values it can process. Which date ranges ara valid
> candidates? Which date ranges are currently busy being processed? Which
> has not yet been processed? Which has been processed but failed
> processing?
> 
> How do you deal with these management complexities? Writing additional
> code? Adding tables to manage the processing? The more moving parts
> there are, the bigger the chance of failure. The slower performance.
> 
> Versus simply telling the process find *any* n number of rows that
> needs processing and doing its process & update thing. And running
> potentially 100's of these in parallel.
> 
> Sorry, I cannot see your suggestion as a viable solution.
> 
> --
> Billy
> 

If you have "Effective by Design", Tom Kyte describes a possible solution to your
problem using rowids and a number of jobs for parallel processing.

It is also briefly covered here:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:10498431232211

However, running 100's of them in parallel would mean you need to have the horse power
to do so. According to Cary Milsap (read Batch Queue discipline and Batch Queue and the magic of 2
available at hotsos.com after registration) you shouldn't run more jobs than 2 times the number
of CPUs in parallel. But if you have such a beast (with SE? noway) you'll be fine, else
you'll just set job_queue_processes accordingly.


Regards,
Holger
0
holger.baer (411)
8/8/2005 1:14:12 PM
Holger Baer wrote:

> It is also briefly covered here:
> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:10498431232211

Thanks! As usual, Tom has very interesting technical solutions.

> However, running 100's of them in parallel would mean you need to have the horse power
> to do so.

What I was trying to convey (badly) is that the design itself must be
scalable for any number of parallel processes - not a hack that allows
only two parallel processes for example. E.g. if this code is to be
implemented on a massive Enterprise RAC, it must be able to scale
accordingly.

> According to Cary Milsap (read Batch Queue discipline and Batch Queue
> and the magic of 2 available at hotsos.com after registration) you shouldn't
> run more jobs than 2 times the number of CPUs in parallel.

Holger, I will take that as a rule of thumb as it depends on whether
the processes are CPU bound or not. Unix is capable of running 1000's
of processes in parallel. Windows is capable of running 1000's of
threads in parallel. It is the actual work done in those that governs
just how many can be effectively run in parallel.

--
Billy

0
vslabs (344)
8/10/2005 7:42:08 AM
Billy wrote:
> Holger Baer wrote:
> 
> 
[...]

> 
>>According to Cary Milsap (read Batch Queue discipline and Batch Queue
>>and the magic of 2 available at hotsos.com after registration) you shouldn't
>>run more jobs than 2 times the number of CPUs in parallel.
> 
> 
> Holger, I will take that as a rule of thumb as it depends on whether
> the processes are CPU bound or not. Unix is capable of running 1000's
> of processes in parallel. Windows is capable of running 1000's of
> threads in parallel. It is the actual work done in those that governs
> just how many can be effectively run in parallel.
> 

That goes without saying. But the point is, that in a typical batch environment
CPU and disk usage aproximately level out, so while one process is using
CPU the other one is waiting for disk. And I talked *specifically* about
batch processing, which means the processes are actually doing something -
not some threads that are just hanging around. :-)

As for the scalability of this solution: You just have to break it up into
enough pieces, set the job_queue_processes accordingly and Bob's your
uncle.

Cheers
Holger
0
holger.baer (411)
8/10/2005 9:43:06 AM
Holger Baer wrote:

> That goes without saying. But the point is, that in a typical batch environment
> CPU and disk usage aproximately level out, so while one process is using
> CPU the other one is waiting for disk.

Granted. But I have not seen anything typical over here for many years.
:-)

> And I talked *specifically* about
> batch processing, which means the processes are actually doing something -
> not some threads that are just hanging around. :-)

Sometimes you do want them to hang around at times..

Many years ago I write a motionsink DLL for use with a simulator and it
worked just fine on Windows ME. It hit WinNT so hard that it alone
redlined the CPU. The reason that the main loop was using non-blocking
calls to check for the availability of UDP data. On WinME the kernel
ran with this loop without issues. That non-blocking sycall was very
light despite the tight loop. Negligble overheads. On WinNT I had to
add a delay in the loop to give the NT kernel a breather between loop
iterations and syscalls. Very weird. It seemed that NT just loved that
tight loop and really hit it very hard and very fast despite the
priority of the thread running the loop - even at the lowest priority
mode this thread still attempted to consume 99% CPU resources. Only by
adding a dealy into it, forcing the some idle time during the tight
loop, the kernel got a breather to do some other work.

Point is that you're never sure upfront just how the o/s (or even
Oracle) will treat a tight loop - until you run and monitor it. And a
loop being slightly lazy may just be worthwhile at times. :-)

> As for the scalability of this solution: You just have to break it up into
> enough pieces, set the job_queue_processes accordingly and Bob's your
> uncle.

Bob? I hope he's a rich uncle? I sure can do with one. 

--
Billy

0
vslabs (344)
8/11/2005 5:38:18 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

oracle application server, ibm websphere, sun application server �T�̥i���i�H�@�Ӥ���O?
~ Let us linux ~ -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- ...

why do we need to shutdown database or application server to backup Oracle Home?
Dear Group, We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log files. Any explanations will be highly appreciated. Thanks On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:52:16 -0700, cs3526 wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, Reading books and manuals can sometimes be beneficial. -- Mladen Gogala http://mgogala.freehostia.com cs3526@yahoo.com wrote: > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown > database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. According to Tom Kyte, thou shalt not schedule unattended shutdowns. C. On 14 mar, 01:52, cs3...@yahoo.com wrote: > Dear Group, > > We are using Oracle 10g on Linux. > > While it is easy to understand we need to shutdown database to backup > database files, I do not quite understand why do we need to shutdown > database or oracle application server to backup Oracle Homes. > > It is my understanding that oracle processes will only read those > files inside the Oracle home, but not writing to them, except log > files. >...

How to configure application server to connect to a two-node oracle RAC database
We have a java based application which will access the two node RAC database via the Orion Application Server. What should be done so that the Orion Application Server uses both the nodes to make connections? Right now the orion application server accesses the RAC database via the jdbc thin client where you have to specify the ip address of the database server and the listerner port and the instance name. If I do it this way then the application server just connects to the particular instance that I give it. Thanks Can you use the OCI driver? Regards, Steve I can use the OCI driver if it serves the purpose. Could you elaborate a bit more on how to configure it and where to do it? Thanks, Utpal The OCI driver uses the Oracle network configuration file (tnsnames.ora) on the client (application server, in this case) for connectivity definitions. This is where you can configure load balancing and failover options. An example is below... YOUR_DB_NAME = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = vip-node1)(PORT = 2484)) (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = vip-node2)(PORT = 2484)) (LOAD_BALANCE = yes) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = your_service_name) (FAILOVER_MODE = (TYPE = SELECT) (METHOD = BASIC) (RETRIES = 90) (DELAY = 5) ) ) ) Read up on the docs at tahiti.oracle.com, as they go into great detail as to the different configuration options. Regards, Steve ...

Oracle Application Server Internal Server Error
Hello, We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when users try to login to the application. Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms service becomes unresponsive for a short period of time causing the web server request to time out. Users who are logged into the system can still work but no new users can get in. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Anybody got any ideas where to start looking? We have a TAR logged with Oracle but as usual they've said that they won't help us until we go to 9.0.4.3. Which we haven't been able to do as the patching process keeps failing. Any help would be appreciated. gnscon@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > We are using OAS 9.0.4.1 run on AIX 5.3 with an Oracle 10.1.0.2 DB > back end running on a seperate partition of the machine. The main > application is developed in house on forms6 and migrated to forms9 a > couple of years ago when we moved to AIX. Since the move we get an > "Internal Server Error", in the web browser, occuring randomly when > users try to login to the application. > > Through some investigation it appears as though the OC4J_BI_Forms > ser...

moving oracle database server into a new server
Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is > 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). > Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and > running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the > tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need > to do? > > Thanks > Teresa When I do this with windows boxes I either: #1 Install oracle on the new box, create a new database and export/import from old db to new db #2 Copy datafiles, init, sqlnet, tns.. etc over from coldbackup or shutdown old_database, startup nomount and recreate the controlfile to fit new environment. #3 Restore from online backup of old_database and apply redo logs, again recreating the controlfile to fit the new env. (I usually only do this for "practice" and for creating a development copy of a prod db) #2 ...

Question about Oracle Developer Application and Application Server
Hi All, I am new to Oracle Internet Developer Suite 10g application development and deployment. Could any body here please kindly explain me about these basic question : 1) If I deploy Oracle Form & Report as client server application, Not Web deployment, do I need to purchase Oracle App Server (IAS) ? If YES, what is the difference if I use or don't use Oracle IAS for deployment of Form and Report ? 2) Can I purchase Oracle Form & Report separately ? (not the whole developer suite) Thank you, xtanto Krist wrote: > Hi All, > > I am new to Oracle Internet Developer Suite 10g application > development and deployment. > Could any body here please kindly explain me about these basic > question : > > 1) If I deploy Oracle Form & Report as client server application, Not > Web deployment, do I need to purchase Oracle App Server (IAS) ? > If YES, what is the difference if I use or don't use Oracle IAS for > deployment of Form and Report ? > > 2) Can I purchase Oracle Form & Report separately ? (not the whole > developer suite) > > Thank you, > xtanto 1. Not deployable in client/server mode except through use of undocumented means. If you want client/server get 6i. 2. No. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) Hi Daniel, Thank you for your reply. About Oracle Form and IAS : > 1. Not deployable in client/server mo...

How do I check which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server
I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's there. > > If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) For better or worse ( we know the answer ) opatch is the tool that install patches from oracle support. "If you did not use oPatch" ... what? >"If you did not use oPatch" ... what? In my 8i environments, there are separate scripts that are run - for example, for a cpu, it would be 'install_cpu.sh'. In those cases, I really don't know how (if) one can confirm which patches have been applied to an environment. ...

Oracle 9i Database Server on Windows 2003 Server
I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without any problems. Is there anybody that did that before? Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science Teacher http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon I've installed it on windows 2003 enterprise ed. about 1 month ago without any problem. I've installed the version 9.2.0.1 with the patch to 9.2.0.3. 9.2.0.3 is the only version certified by oracle for win 2003. Ciao "Yvon Bouchard" <yvon.bouchard@cablevision.qc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio news:QCLvb.21605$ZF1.2102185@news20.bellglobal.com... > I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without > any problems. > Is there anybody that did that before? > Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. > > Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science > Teacher > http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon > > > Yvon Bouchard wrote: > > I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without > any problems. > Is there anybody that did that before? > Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. > Although I have not installed on Windows 2003 myself, I know of several such installations and all occurred without issue. I do note that Oracle has a separate download (CD set) for the WIndows 2003 compared to NT/2000/XP, so I suspect the install for the latter may not be ...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Parallel processing applications
What are the killer parallel processing applications of the year 2004/2005. By that I mean, what are mid level applications for massively parallel architectures? When the FPGA Transputer is finished, what applications will use it? Budget Grid computing? Remote processing farms? Anyone got ideas? dave wrote: > What are the killer parallel processing applications of the year > 2004/2005. By that I mean, what are mid level applications for massively > parallel architectures? > > When the FPGA Transputer is finished, what applications will use it? > Budge...

Oracle Application Server
Hello All, I have just installed Oracle 9I database on my computer. Should I now install the Oracle Application Server? What does it do? Thanks siu02rk wrote: > > Hello All, > > I have just installed Oracle 9I database on my computer. Should I now > install the Oracle Application Server? What does it do? > > Thanks If you think of Oracle9i Database as the 'Content Management' piece, you could consider Oracle9i Application Server as the 'Content Access' piece. And Oracle9i Developer Suit4e as 'Content Control' Best to review http://otn.oracle.com to get some details about App. Server as it's a fairly big beast. A decent overview is available at http://www.oracle.com/appserver/index.html?pkgsum.html And, of course, your licensing situation overrides all! App Server is not included as part of the database license. "siu02rk" <siu02rk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:823c05f1.0311271401.52ff6c48@posting.google.com... > Hello All, > > I have just installed Oracle 9I database on my computer. Should I now > install the Oracle Application Server? What does it do? > > Thanks 9i Application Server gives you web-based access to the data you're about to store in the 9i Database. If you need to ask the question, then I think the answer for now at least is "no you shouldn't". It's a completely different beast from the database, with immense complexities of its ow...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server > are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this > server? No, these might be different *services* served by the same instance. The first place to look at is /var/opt/oracle/oratab file, which should list all Oracle instances on your host. If your Oracle installation follows OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture,) which is usually true, count $ORACLE_BASE/admin/<dbname> directories - each database should have its own directory under admin. Alternatively, you can also count spfile<SID>.ora files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory. Hth, Vladimir M. Zakharychev N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm) http://www.dynamicpsp.com On 20 Feb, 06:00, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want...

SqlSpec
Do you wish you had comprehensive, easily navigable documentation for your SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, and Access databases? Are you a SQL Developer or DBA that just inherited a huge, complex database with no supporting docs and don't know where to start learning how it's put together? Are you an independent contractor working with SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, or Access? Your clients would LOVE you if you could provide comprehensive documentation about the databases you build. Are you a Project Manager who is tired of developers making changes to databases on live servers and not updating the corresponding spec? SqlSpec will make sense of it all and generate easy-to-read docs for you for any database on the following platforms: * SQL Server 2000/2005 * Oracle 9i (and above) * MySQL 5.0 (and above) * Analysis Server 2005 * Access 97/2000/XP/2003 SqlSpec generates documentation in two formats: HTML or CHM. HTML is useful for publishing your documents on the web or an intranet site. CHM is useful if you want a single, compact file containing all your documentation about one or more databases. The CHM is indexed so it is easily searchable for any keyword. This way you can easily determine which objects reference the "EmployeeID" column, for example. You can download a fully featured trial version here: http://www.elsasoft.org ...

SSL with Oracle 7.3.4 and Oracle Application Server OAS 3.0
Hello, I want to have SSL with my Oracle-Web-Server. It's an very old Version (OAS 3.0) I have configured SSL exactly - read in the documentation. But it doesn't work ! Is it possible to upgrade the OAS 3.0 up to a newer one ? That could be a solution. I hope, someone can help me. The problem is, that we need https-connects on the website. Thanks first ! Joerg Mueller wrote: > Hello, > I want to have SSL with my Oracle-Web-Server. It's an very old Version (OAS > 3.0) > I have configured SSL exactly - read in the documentation. > But it doesn't work ! > > Is it possible to upgrade the OAS 3.0 up to a newer one ? > That could be a solution. > > I hope, someone can help me. The problem is, that we need https-connects on > the website. > Thanks first ! > > Of course, mentioning the full error(s) would help, as well as Operating System and other details... If that would not be asked too much... Pretty Please? -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... Here are the details: OS is Solaris 2.6 on a SUN Ultra 10 I have done the setup as written in the following page: http://isis.sra.com/ows-adoc/docs/security/wassecur.htm Here klick: "Setting Up Your Web Application Server to Use SSL" Is there a chance to get SSL with Oracle 7.3.4 and OAS 3.0 ? Or can I upgrade the OAS only ? But which version is running good ? The problem is, that we absolutely need SSL Here...

automate startup /shutdown oracle database server 9i on redhat advance server 3.0
how i automate the oracle database 9i on RedHat Advance server 3.0 automatic startup and shutdown database in linux advance server 3.0 On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:06:37 +0500, "Kashif Hameed" <kashifh@shoa.net> wrote: >how i automate the oracle database 9i on RedHat Advance server 3.0 automatic >startup and shutdown database in linux advance server 3.0 > as usual: just read the documentation http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A96167_01.pdf (and please do so prior to posting as to avoid this type of questions) -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA ...

it's compatible oracle 8i client, compatible whith oracle 9i server (or oracle 10g server)
Hi all, I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i client connected to oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) , and I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. Thanks Angel R. wrote: > Hi all, > I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i > client connected to > oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) > , and > I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. > > Thanks If you have access to the metalink then check the connect matrix at http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=NOT&id=207303.1 Regards /Rauf ...

Oracle application server, which platform
Hi everyone, We would like to by a new Oracle Application Server, Standard Edition. My task is to decide which OS should we use. My personal oppinion is to choose some kind of linux distro. As I know oracle supports SuSE SLES, and RedHat Advanced Server. Does anyone has any experiences? Janos Makadi wrote: > Hi everyone, > > We would like to by a new Oracle Application Server, Standard Edition. > My task is to decide which OS should we use. My personal oppinion is to > choose some kind of linux distro. As I know oracle supports SuSE SLES, > and RedHat Advanced Server. > > Does anyone has any experiences? > Yes. What's the question? -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Just my opinion, but RHAS seems to be the market leader as far as the distros are concerned regarding Oracle software (for 11i Financials at least). But, I have heard SUSE is also a great distro. Does your current staff have experience with SUSE or RedHat? I would say that might be another consideration. If your staff is experienced using a particular distro, you might want to stick w/ it. My .02 Janos Makadi <jmakadi@fc.dunaferr.hu> wrote in message news:<2j5iovFtl4s3U1@uni-berlin.de>... > Hi everyone, > > We would like to by a new Oracle Application Server, Standard Edition. > My task is to decide which OS should we use. My personal oppinion is to > choose some kind of linux distro. As I know oracle supports SuSE SLES, > and RedHat Advance...

Connecting to database from application server?
Hi, I'm newbie to Oracle and need you help. How can I start procedure from application server? i.e. how to register my db in application server or what else is necessary to do? I would be very greatful for any tip. Best regards, k -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 kiwi wrote: > Hi, > > I'm newbie to Oracle and need you help. > > How can I start procedure from application server? > i.e. how to register my db in application server or what else is necessary > to do? > > I would be very greatful for any tip. > > Best regards, > k > > Stop cross-posting, please! Regulars read all oracle ng's. Oracle Stored procedure? If so, try http://vanbortel.blogspot.com/2006/07/authentication-in-modplsql.html - -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32) iD8DBQFGm7RYLw8L4IAs830RAsfqAJ0Y/PN4NpnORz8YGHxm2XCEypHi5QCfaiXs Yx3Urt2TffNHBl9DIiTT+3g= =bQf+ -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 kiwi wrote: > Hi, > > I'm newbie to Oracle and need you help. > > How can I start procedure from application server? > i.e. how to register my db in application server or what else is necessary > to do? > > I would be very greatful for any tip. > > Best regards, > k > > Answered in cdo.misc - -- Regards, Frank van...

Running java client/server application in JBoss (Application Server)
Hi, Can anyone help me how to run an client/server java application in a application server like JBoss? (sorry, I don't know what is the correct term for this) The scenario: I have to connect to an ISO8583 server, and the server require me to send login, echo periodically, in other words, the session is maintained (let's call it ISOThread). I would like to have something like message-driven bean, that will receive a request, and send to this ISOThread to process the request. I can not figure it out, where should this ISOThread live ? in which container ? Better explanation: 1. A Clien...

Oracle Application Server 9i
I occasionally get the following error on my Oracle 9i AS. The printer specified can be accessed and jobs printed successfully for hours on end then all of a sudden this crops up and the service has to be restarted to get it going again. I am running 9i AS on windows 2000 server SP3 Terminated with Error : REP-0713: Invalid printer name '\\hostname\printername' specified by parameter DESNAME Any help would be appreciated. Neil Hodgkinson wrote: > I occasionally get the following error on my Oracle 9i AS. The printer > specified can be accessed and jobs printed successfully for hours on > end then all of a sudden this crops up and the service has to be > restarted to get it going again. > > I am running 9i AS on windows 2000 server SP3 > > Terminated with Error : > REP-0713: Invalid printer name '\\hostname\printername' specified by > parameter DESNAME > > Any help would be appreciated. Network glitch occurred? Why not define the printer as network printer within MS, and use the alias from with iAS? Allows for easier maintenance, as well. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel ...

Oracle Application Server #2
Hi, I m working as Oracle DBA for past 2yrs. and got some chances to work/support as Oracle Apps DBA. Recently I had been shifted completly to the Apps DBA team where we have the clients for which I have to work on the Oracle application server, web cache, portal and discoverer and shorty we are getting some projects for which I m team member. Can anyone please help me where I can download the software complete. so that I can install and practice and apart from the software where I can find the documentation for these and what is the sequence to learn (If any link in them). I came to know that Oracle AS DBA work includes working on all these stuffs. Please help me. --Vamsi On 18 Sep 2006 08:23:07 -0700, "cvnkrishna" <vamsikrishna.chikkam@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I m working as Oracle DBA for past 2yrs. and got some chances to >work/support as Oracle Apps DBA. Recently I had been shifted completly >to the Apps DBA team where we have the clients for which I have to work >on the Oracle application server, web cache, portal and discoverer and >shorty we are getting some projects for which I m team member. > >Can anyone please help me where I can download the software complete. >so that I can install and practice and apart from the software where I >can find the documentation for these and what is the sequence to learn >(If any link in them). I came to know that Oracle AS DBA work includes >working on all these stuffs....

mvBase Server application & Pervasive SQL application on Same Server
I have a project to put two different applications, in two different databases, onto a single server. I am seeking input from anyone who has attempted a similar project. One application is in mvBase 1.3.02, while the other is in Pervasive SQL. In a secondary situation, we'll have one application in mvBase 1.3.02, and another in SQL Server. Both, or all of these databases seem to grab as much free memory as they can, and not relinquish said memory back to the system resources pool. I will be closely monitoring the system wide parameters and the individual parameters of each application database, even profiling them, with a extremely lightweight, yet thorough monitoring process. Are there any good resource partiioning products out there, that do not introduce a whole bunch of significant overhead on their own, that would limit how much memory eack of these databases has access to? Operating System will be Windows 2000 Server. Appreciate any experienced input, or other general advice or suggestions, from inside, or outside "the box". Thanks! -- Regards, Scott ...

oracle application server #3
Hallo all Excuse my english, I cannot speak english very well. I am searching for information about clustering architecture in an Oracle application server. Would you happen to know of any good books about it? Thanks in advance, Szymon krzyzok wrote: > Hallo all > > Excuse my english, I cannot speak english very well. I am searching > for information about clustering architecture in an Oracle application > server. Would you happen to know of any good books about it? > > Thanks in advance, > Szymon Best place to look for guidance is http://otn.oracle.com Click on Forums Click on Fusion Middleware I wish my English was as good as yours. You've nothing to apologize for. -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org krzyzok wrote: > Hallo all > > Excuse my english, I cannot speak english very well. I am searching > for information about clustering architecture in an Oracle application > server. Would you happen to know of any good books about it? > > Thanks in advance, > Szymon Szymon, All information is available from http://tahiti.oracle.com. Pick the application server version you have (or are planning to install), and take a look at the Concepts, Best Practices and Enterprise Deployment Guide. Especially the last one contains information for large (often: clustered) insta...

how to connect database and application servers
Hi anyone can explain me how to connect between database and application servers. both are linux servers. as per my knowledge listeners can do. is there any other tools needed like tcp/ip's. i know, we need web servrs tools to connect application and web server. like this do we need any other tools. thanks ...

Web resources about - Parallel Application Processing - comp.databases.oracle.server

Application - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the ...

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...

Resources last updated: 3/20/2016 4:09:13 AM