Patching Oracle Database

hello

I apply patch on Oracle database 11.2.0.4.0   (Patch 18522509)
during patching system ask for creating new ORACLE_HOME    (because of
patch conflicts,
so I created it in   /ora/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2

I also aply post patch script

but in some places I have old oracle home for example:
-----
select * from dba_libraries where library_name = 'DBMS_SUMADV_LIB' or
library_name = 'ORDIMLIBS'
-----
select * from dba_directories
-----

- Why is that patching proces didn't change that paths to new one?
- Did I made mistake to apply patch in new Oracle_Home?
           - should I for example - install in old one?
           - scould I uninstall conflicting patches first?

thants

0
rr

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:44:02 AM UTC-4, rr wrote:
> hello
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I apply patch on Oracle database 11.2.0.4.0   (Patch 18522509)
>=20
> during patching system ask for creating new ORACLE_HOME    (because of=20
>=20
> patch conflicts,
>=20
> so I created it in   /ora/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2
>=20
>=20
> I also aply post patch script
>=20
> but in some places I have old oracle home for example:
>=20
> -----
>=20
> select * from dba_libraries where library_name =3D 'DBMS_SUMADV_LIB' or=
=20
>=20
> library_name =3D 'ORDIMLIBS'
>=20
> -----
>=20
> select * from dba_directories
>=20
> -----
>=20
> - Why is that patching proces didn't change that paths to new one?
>=20
> - Did I made mistake to apply patch in new Oracle_Home?
>=20
>            - should I for example - install in old one?
>=20
>            - scould I uninstall conflicting patches first?
>=20
> thants

If the patch process created a complete 11.2.0.4 installation then I would =
think you could follow the standard upgrade process.  Install new home, cha=
nge environment set up scripts, oratab, listener.ora, etc ... to reference =
the new home, stop the Oracle instance, startup upgrade using the new home,=
 run any required upgrade scripts, and open the instance for business.

If the new home is not complete then yes I think you would need to remove t=
he conflicting patches and try again after backing up the binary.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
0
Mark
9/16/2014 3:45:12 PM
W dniu 2014-09-16 17:45, Mark D Powell pisze:
> On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:44:02 AM UTC-4, rr wrote:
>> hello
>>

>> I apply patch on Oracle database 11.2.0.4.0   (Patch 18522509)
>>
>> during patching system ask for creating new ORACLE_HOME    (because of
>>
>> patch conflicts,
>>
>> so I created it in   /ora/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2
>>

>> I also aply post patch script
>>
>> but in some places I have old oracle home for example:
>>
>> -----
>>
>> select * from dba_libraries where library_name = 'DBMS_SUMADV_LIB' or
>>
>> library_name = 'ORDIMLIBS'
>>
>> -----
>>
>> select * from dba_directories
>>
>> -----
>>
>> - Why is that patching proces didn't change that paths to new one?
>>
>> - Did I made mistake to apply patch in new Oracle_Home?
>>
>>             - should I for example - install in old one?
>>
>>             - scould I uninstall conflicting patches first?
>>
>> thants
>
> If the patch process created a complete 11.2.0.4 installation then I would think you could follow the standard upgrade process.  Install new home, change environment set up scripts, oratab, listener.ora, etc ... to reference the new home, stop the Oracle instance, startup upgrade using the new home, run any required upgrade scripts, and open the instance for business.
>
> If the new home is not complete then yes I think you would need to remove the conflicting patches and try again after backing up the binary.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

thanks for respond.

so I will have to do changes manually in tables like:  dba_libraries
dba_directories   is is ok - it's not the problem;

- how to findout where are other tables I need to corect?
- can I rename old oracle_home directory and then delete?

0
rr
9/16/2014 3:54:54 PM
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:54:54 AM UTC-4, rr wrote:
> W dniu 2014-09-16 17:45, Mark D Powell pisze:
>=20
> > On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:44:02 AM UTC-4, rr wrote:
>=20
> >> hello
>=20
> >>
>=20
> >>
>=20
> >>
>=20

No, you do dot change the tables manually.
> [...]
> >
>=20
> > If the new home is not complete then yes I think you would need to remo=
ve the conflicting patches and try again after backing up the binary.
>=20
> >
>=20
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>=20
> >
>=20
>=20
> thanks for respond.
>=20
>=20
> so I will have to do changes manually in tables like:  dba_libraries=20
>=20
> dba_directories   is is ok - it's not the problem;
>=20
> - how to findout where are other tables I need to corect?
>=20
> - can I rename old oracle_home directory and then delete?

No, you do not change the Oracle tables manually.  Each patch has a README =
file that explains the procedure you should follow.  Most of the informatio=
n in dba_libraries is picked up from the binary Oracle is started with.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
0
Mark
9/17/2014 5:32:58 PM
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:32:58 -0700, Mark D Powell wrote:

> No, you do not change the Oracle tables manually.  Each patch has a
README file that explains the procedure you should follow.  Most of the
information in dba_libraries is picked up from the binary Oracle is
started with.

> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

And patching from 11.2.0.3 --> 11.2.0.4 is really easy and well described,
unless the ORACLE_HOME is of the form /oracle/<SID>/112_64. That is the
special case. Whoever has invented SAP, deserves to be hanged, drawn and
quartered, in the great tradition of the British judicial system.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer

I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's ther...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failove...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to s...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a databas...

How to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database?
Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database,but i don't know hot to do that, somebody can help me? Probably you are thinking that this doesn't makes sense, but I need to pass some info(each 3 months) from a Oracle database(a very large database) to a MySQL database (a lot smaller database). Thank you in advance. abelito_morelos@terra.com (The Magus) wrote in message news:<867afc1b.0401121252.7a7dfa67@posting.google.com>... > Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle > database,but i don't know hot to d...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Tha...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without any problems. Is there anybody that did that before? Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science Teacher http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon I've installed it on windows 2003 enterprise ed. about 1 month ago without any problem. I've installed the version 9.2.0.1 with the patch to 9.2.0.3. 9.2.0.3 is the only version certified by oracle for win 2003. Ciao "Yvon Bouchard" <yvon.bouchard@cablevision.qc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio n...

Web resources about - Patching Oracle Database - comp.databases.oracle.server

Cost Savings Through Virtual Patching

Patching hole in the net
MANAGEMENT procedures relating to high-profile parolees have been changed after convicted killer Peter Kamm absconded this week while on parole. ...

Fez, Fish and The Problem with Patching
Polytron's Phil Fish lands himself in controversy again - but is Microsoft the real villain?

Oracle settles with FTC over Java’s “deceptive” security patching
Commission faults Oracle's Java SE update process with making consumers' computers insecure.

New cloud platform streamlines device management and patching
... that cut the time needed to assess in half compared with the previous version. With agentless technology, Protect streamlines the patching process ...

Apple could spend much of 2013 patching its big Achilles’ heel: Web services
Let’s face it: Apple’s ( AAPL ) Maps fiasco wouldn’t have been such a big deal if it were just a one-time mistake. But as AllThingsD’s John Paczkowski ...

Patching the Voting Rights Act by @BloggersRUs
Patching the Voting Rights Act by Tom Sullivan The hole the Supreme Court's 2013 Shelby County v. Holder ruling blew in the Voting Rights Act ...

Senate tires of patching highway programs
SFGate Senate tires of patching highway programs Businessweek WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate delivered an unexpectedly strong vote Tuesday in ...

Patching Cracks Between Different Materials Is Touchy
Q-The steps leading to our basement from the outside are steel and at the bottom meet a single concrete step. The crack between steel and concrete ...

Microsoft: Patching Windows 2000 'Infeasible'
Microsoft took the unusual step today and skipped patching one of the vulnerabilities addressed in its monthly security update, an omission that ...