PLSQL - Find out new directories used by an instance

Hi,

Has anyone had any PLSQL codes to check for datafiles that are not in
a defined set of directories. ie. there is a table that contains all
the directories the instance has datafiles in.  The PLSQL code checks
each of these directories against all file_name in dba_data_files,
displays datafiles that are found in the new directories.

I can do this using extenal programs, I am only interested in PLSQL
solution here.

Thanks,
Ky
0
kydongau (2)

kydongau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any PLSQL codes to check for datafiles that are not in
> a defined set of directories. ie. there is a table that contains all
> the directories the instance has datafiles in.  The PLSQL code checks
> each of these directories against all file_name in dba_data_files,
> displays datafiles that are found in the new directories.
>
> I can do this using extenal programs, I am only interested in PLSQL
> solution here.
>
> Thanks,
> Ky

Why not something based on this?

SELECT ...
FROM dba_data_files
WHERE INSTR(file_name, test_string) = 0;

Then just test each string you want in a loop recording the results
in a global temp table or an array.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel

While using Shell to open a new instance of same database, using vbHide to Hide the new instance fails.
I have some long Excel routines that I would like to run from my database in a hidden, second instance of the same Access db. The macro I pass to the shell command to open the second instance contains code to 'Hide' the database (from Dev's site) and also the code which runs the Excel routine. It then quits the database when the code has finished running. Here is my code to open a new instance of my db: NewDBID = Shell(AccessDir & "msaccess.EXE " & strFileName & ShellMacro, vbNormal) This works fine -- except that I get the flash on the screen before the m...

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

move database to new server/directory
Hi, I'm totally new to oracle, only have a bit knowledge of MS- and mysql. I would like to move a database (and if possible all the config) to a new Windows server. I tried exp and imp, but probably it fails as the old server installation points to d:\oradata and d:\orahome_1 while my new standard installation of 10g points to d:\oracle\product\10.2.0. I'd like to keep that as it is obviously default. Can someone please point me what exactly I have to do now? Preferrable using OEM? Thanks, Helmut -- Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well "Helmut...

[News] Oracle Uses More Linux with New Servers
Oracle releases global business suite ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle announced on Wednesday the general release of E-Business Suite | Release 12, a financial-information suite designed for global | deployment, and unveiled postmerger applications for users of | PeopleSoft, JD Edwards and Siebel products. | | [...] | | Oracle also announced the general availability of Siebel CRM 8, | marking the first time its customer relationship management softwarew | ill work on servers running Linux. | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6155129.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1...

Using Oracle Replication To Move A New Production Database
We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save" message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at our hosting facility. A decision has been made by management to move the production data to a new database befo...

Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs
Hello, I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). The database is in archive log mode. The backup is done with : - a "cold backup" every night by the copy of all the files : all the dbf datafiles, control files, redolog file and init file. - There are two exports by day with the tool EXP. I have an another server (sort of backup server) named SRV2 with the same installation of Oracle 8i ; The same instance name, the same paths for the files : .dbf, .ctl, redo and init.ora . I can copy all the files of my cold backup from SRV1 to my second server SRV2 and sta...

Can single instance Oracle 10g database use ASM ?
Hi: Does anyone know if it is possible for a single instance Oracle 10g database to use ASM for its filesystem ? If yes, does that mean that the single instance Oracle 10g database does not need Oracle Cluster Ready Services to use ASM ? Thanks John ...

Total size of shared memory used on a server by several Oracle instances
Hi, I need to determine what amount of server shared memory I need on a server with several Oracle instances ? Does I simply have to sum the total sga size of all instances or is a more complicated ? TYIA RJP "rjp" <rjp.l@laposte.net> a �crit dans le message de news:9b7a7215.0402260408.d531dbf@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I need to determine what amount of server shared memory I need on a > server with several Oracle instances ? > Does I simply have to sum the total sga size of all instances or is a > more complicated ? > I would think that you are ...

Using the DBI to connect to an Oracle server w/o connecting to a database
I've searched for the answer to this problem and have not seen it (which suggests what the answer might be ;-) ). Is it possible to use DBI (and DBD::Oracle) to connect to an Oracle server without connecting to a database? This would be the DBI equivalent of: sqlplus /nolog SQL> connect user/passwd@database; or, more similarly: sqlplus /nolog @my.sql where my.sql might be: connect user/passwd@database; select ... etc. I'm thinking this is not possible, but I hope it is. Thanks. Quoth Tim <google@hoodfamily.org>: > I've searched for the answer to this problem and...

Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database
Hello all Oracle&server experts, what you think about the following setup for Oracle database? HP DL585, 16 GB RAM, 2 dual-core AMD processors, 64-bit Red Hat Linux 4, 64-bit Oracle database software. The disk setup for Oracle data consists of six PCI-X RAID cards with BBWC set to 0 percent read, 100 percent write. Each card has six 146 GB disks on RAID 1+0 setup and one hot spare. 128 kB stripe size is used. Each RAID 1+0 set (about 410 GB) is divided into two logical volumes: 40 GB and 370 GB and these volumes are seen as raw devices at the server. I'm planning to put all si...

Can single instance Oracle 10g database use ASM ? #2
Hi: Does anyone know if it is possible for a single instance Oracle 10g database to use ASM for its filesystem ? If yes, does that mean that the single instance Oracle 10g database does not need Oracle Cluster Ready Services to use ASM ? Thanks John On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:32:15 +0100, John L wrote (in article <14c81e80.0501131432.1a2fd16f@posting.google.com>): > Does anyone know if it is possible for a single instance > Oracle 10g database to use ASM for its filesystem ? > > If yes, does that mean that the single instance > Oracle 10g database does not need Ora...

New Instance for Existing Database -- 10gR2 under Win Server 2003 64-bit
I'm a Unix/Linux Oracle developer who needs to ask a Windows-oriented DBA question. For testing purposes, one of the guys in this shop wants a new instance that will access existing database files. Working from home late at night, he copied all the files (control files, DBFs, and everything) and then blew away the instance and installed a new one. Now he wants a new instance that can mount the files that he copied. If someone with Windows DBA knowledge could say to me, "Read Chapter nn of the XYZ Manual, you fool," that would be extremely helpful. I'm just not certain where...

Best way to check oracle database server / services is alive using Java
Hi, I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any database) databases is running or not. At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket and conclude the database is not running if connection timed out. Which is a silly way of doing it. Appreciate any help. Best regards. On Apr 3, 9:56 pm, harishas...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any > database) databases is running or not. > At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket > and conclude...

Script to create new Sun One Directory Server 5.x instance?
Hi, There is a perl script available from Sun that will create a new instance of a directory server 4.*. It's called create_instance.pl Sun states that "This tool is not compatible with Directory Server 5.x." Does anyone have or know where I can get a script or other tool that will provide the same functionality for Directory Server 5.x? Thanks Bill ...

Script to create new Sun One Directory Server 5.x instance? #2
Hi, There is a perl script available from Sun that will create a new instance of a directory server 4.*. It's called create_instance.pl Sun states that "This tool is not compatible with Directory Server 5.x." Does anyone have or know where I can get a script or other tool that will provide the same functionality for Directory Server 5.x? Thanks Bill ...

Web resources about - PLSQL - Find out new directories used by an instance - comp.databases.oracle.server

List of web directories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Open Directory Project (a.k.a. ODP or dmoz) – The largest directory of the Web. Its open content is mirrored at many sites, including the Google ...

To Complement Its Search Engine, Facebook Launches People, Pages, and Places Directories
Facebook is now closer than ever to becoming the phone book for the internet. The site recently launched a Directory of people , Pages , and ...

Directories - ARN
The source for IT industry news, views and analysis across the channel, business and technology

Princess Diana leaked royal directories to Murdoch tabloid, court hears
The former royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's now defunct British tabloid the News of the World told a court on Thursday that the late Princess ...

Telstra slashes 800 jobs from directories arm Sensis
TELSTRA is slashing 800 jobs from its struggling directories arm Sensis just one month after the telco giant sold a 70 per cent stake in the ...

Government To Stop Publishing Contact Information In Blue Pages Of Phone Directories
... has decided to stop publishing contact information for all of its departments and agencies in the blue pages section of telephone directories.A ...

File System Programming Guide: About Files and Directories
Explains how to create and manage files and directories.

Fixing directories
Web directories are one of the key points of differentiation between plans on the Exchanges. A single company can offer half a dozen networks ...

Pittsburgh Business Times Local Directories
... email newsletters, events, print subscription, digital subscription or other special offers. Welcome to Pittsburgh Business Times Local Directories. ...

Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch Guides - Directories and guides
The Bradenton Herald is your source for Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch directories and guides.