Practicing SQL on sample database through PL SQL

Hello All,

I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a
schema. All I want to learn for the time being is

1 .PL SQL Commands .
2 . and learn to use the "Select"  statement effeciently    coz I would
be using it in SAS.

So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a
sample database in the Web or if there is some database some where I
could do some thing .

thanks
JQ

Jquest wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a
> schema. All I want to learn for the time being is
>
> 1 .PL SQL Commands .
> 2 . and learn to use the "Select"  statement effeciently    coz I would
> be using it in SAS.
>
> So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a
> sample database in the Web or if there is some database some where I
> could do some thing .
>
> thanks
> JQ

On the companion CD there are some sample schemas available.

regards,
pedro
Jquest wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have installed oracle 9.2 on a Win XP Pro. I have managed to create a
> schema. All I want to learn for the time being is
>
> 1 .PL SQL Commands .
> 2 . and learn to use the "Select"  statement effeciently    coz I would
> be using it in SAS.
>
> So can I import a database and practice querrying to glory. Is there a
> sample database in the Web or if there is some database some where I
> could do some thing .
>
> thanks
> JQ

-- connect as sys
conn / as sysdba

-- what schemas exist?
SELECT username
FROM dba_users
ORDER BY 1;

Are any of these present?
HR
OE
PM
SCOTT
SH

PL/SQL demos you can use to learn can be found in Morgan's Library
at www.psoug.org.
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington

[PL/SQL] DataBASE Interaction with PL/SQL
Hello Oracle Guru's, I know that PL/SQL does't accept any user inputs. but i need the following functionality like And Please do not ask the reason for. (My question is coming at the end of this part) Algorithm 1.Execute a procedure 2. accept some input parameters 3. check for some condition 4. pass those accepted parameter to the Dynamic SQL/cursor etc.... 5. Print the output using DBMS.Package 6.The END Here is a sample procedure, but this procedure will accept parameters only when a run the entire procedure (first time) ------------------------------------------- create or replace procedure test as t_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; t_ename varchar2(100); begin Select empname into t_ename from empmaster Where empno=t_empno; dbms_output.put_line('Name: '|| t_ename); -- p(t_ename) ; --thanks for asktom.oracle.com end; ---------------------------------------------- Out/put (Image only some i/o is translated from japaneseto english) empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&empno'; new 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := 'E1234567'; Procedure created SQL> exec test nameofthe employ here PL/SQLcompleted succ.... ------------------------------------------------- My question is How can i write a PL/SQL to perform the above algorithm i.e When i say EXEC test the following screnn should appear empno....?: E1234567 old 3: v_empno varchar2(10) := '&...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45283857608)
US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45283857608) ============================================================================================== Position: Database Administrator Reference: SMC01134 Location: Austin TX Duration: 1Y Skills: Working knowledge/experience with Oracle 8i and above supporting large production environments. Extensive knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, PERL or other scripting experience. 2 years minimum supporting databases on Sun Solaris. Willingness to work flexible hours, including on-call database support. Experience with N-Tier application systems using JDBC/XML database access. Scope: Database administrator will create, monitor and administer databases in Sybase and Oracle. Will perform full scope of administrative and monitoring task related to the management of the relational databases. Participate in the logical and physical design of relational databases, as required. Create scripts and routines using PERL and /or Sybperl or other scripting languages to perform admin function. Perform database performance monitoring with KM Sybase and Oracle. Maintain relational client/server databases (creating, designing, reorga...

US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45283534182)
US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45283534182) ============================================================================================== Position: Database Administrator Reference: SMC01134 Location: Austin TX Duration: 1Y Skills: Working knowledge/experience with Oracle 8i and above supporting large production environments. Extensive knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, PERL or other scripting experience. 2 years minimum supporting databases on Sun Solaris. Wi...

US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45283832411)
US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45283832411) ============================================================================================== Position: Database Administrator Reference: SMC01134 Location: Austin TX Duration: 1Y Skills: Working knowledge/experience with Oracle 8i and above supporting large production environments. Extensive knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, PERL or other scripting experience. 2 years minimum supporting databases on Sun Solaris. Wi...

US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45284457607)
US-TX-Austin: Database Administrator, Oracle 8i, SQL, PL/SQL, PERL, Sun Solaris (45284457607) ============================================================================================== Position: Database Administrator Reference: SMC01134 Location: Austin TX Duration: 1Y Skills: Working knowledge/experience with Oracle 8i and above supporting large production environments. Extensive knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, PERL or other scripting experience. 2 years minimum supporting databases on Sun Solaris. Wi...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

Copy databases from SQL 2005 server to SQL Express
Two Windows 2003 server, one with SQL 2005 server, another with SQL Express. Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Thanks. Thanks (Thanks@work.com) writes: > Two Windows 2003 server, > one with SQL 2005 server, > another with SQL Express. > > Is it possible to copy databases from SQL 2005 to SQL Express? Yes, but I don't think you can use the Copy Database Wizard, but you will have to do it by hand. Which is not very difficult anyway. On source machine backup database, and make note of the logical filenames. (You see these with sp_helpdb). ...

SqlSpec

Random Sample from a SQL Server Database
SAS Users: I would like to take a 3% random sample from a SQL Server Data base. I access the data bases through the SQL pass through facility (Proc SQL through an OLEDB connection). How could I accomplish this? Thanks, Doyle. dmka: 1. write a test program that takes a 3% random sample from a SAS dataset library (use SAS PROC SURVEYSELECT, or, if base only, ranuni()); 2. replace LIBNAME sas dataset reference in above with a connection string to a table in SQL Server; Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of dmka Sent: Thursday, ...

SQL server sample database required
Does Any one have a SQL server sample database atleast with 50 mb of data or can anyone give me a link with I could download it? Regards Sathish S N Adventureworks is downloadable from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e719ecf7-9f46-4312-af89-6ad8702e4e6e&displaylang=en Roy Harvey Beacon Falls, CT On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:28:35 -0700, sathish.sarod@gmail.com wrote: >Does Any one have a SQL server sample database atleast with 50 mb of >data or can anyone give me a link with I could download it? > >Regards >Sathish S N (sathish.sarod@gm...

Re: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database
dmka: 1. write a test program that takes a 3% random sample from a SAS dataset library (use SAS PROC SURVEYSELECT, or, if base only, ranuni()); 2. replace LIBNAME sas dataset reference in above with a connection string to a table in SQL Server; Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of dmka Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 11:07 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database SAS Users: I would like to take a 3% random sample from a SQL Server Data base. I access the data bases through the SQL pass through facility (Proc SQL through an OLEDB connection). How could I accomplish this? Thanks, Doyle. ...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

Restore of Case Insensitive Database to a Case Sensitive Database
Yesterday I received a response to my CI/CS Collation problem and the recommendation was to try and restore a CI Collation database to a CS Collation database. After creating a blank CS database a full restore (Force restore over existing database) does change the Collation to CI. I'm unsure as to how I can restore without changing the Collation. Any suggestions? Hi. Check out this article: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/vg_database_comparison_sp.asp If appears that if you can put the CI db on another box and create a linked server to it you should be able to bring over every...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie > > The stored procedures probably won't be needed so that's ok. I think the difference may be because mssql server uses "transact sql" which is their version of sql statements. Did we really expect MS to play nicely! Can the database be attached/imported or would I have to create a delimited text file? Thanks again. "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UjL_b.22$mj7.1@newreader.ukcore.bt.net... > Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in > SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. > > Regards Kevin > > "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message > news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... >...

Does PL-SQL exist only for Oracle or for other database products as well ?
Sorry for this newbie question: But is PL-SQL a special Oracle script language or does it exist for other database products as well ? Maybe PL-SQL is not an original part of MS-SQL Server resp. MySQL but there are 3rd party add-ons for these other products ? Can someone give me a brief hint about the role of PL-SQL Peter Peter Swampton wrote on 18.02.2007 10:43: > Sorry for this newbie question: But is PL-SQL a special Oracle script language or does it exist > for other database products as well ? > PL/SQL is an Oracle specific language. The only other DBMS I know of that offers compatibility to Oracle's PL/SQL is EnterpriseDB (http://www.enterprisedb.com/) which is based on Postgres. How far that compatibility goes, I don't know. Thomas On Feb 18, 12:43 pm, peter.s...@yahoo.com (Peter Swampton) wrote: > Sorry for this newbie question: But is PL-SQL a special Oracle script language or does it exist > for other database products as well ? > > Maybe PL-SQL is not an original part of MS-SQL Server resp. MySQL but there > are 3rd party add-ons for these other products ? > > Can someone give me a brief hint about the role of PL-SQL > > Peter PL/SQL is Oracle-specific programming language. Mostly used server- side, though there are Oracle products that employ it client-side (Oracle Forms, for example.) As far as I know, there are no implementations of PL/SQL for other databases, except PL/pgSQL, which is PL/SQL-compatible l...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time". This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database... Thanks! "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:cefcd14e-1ffa-4c85-9fa3-6dab448fc3c4@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be > able to use the followi...

Re: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database #5 1546285
Or send SQL like this: (from http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=8747) Select top 3 percent * From my_table Order by newid() ; I've never done it, myself, but it should work... HTH, -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sigurd Hermansen Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 10:28 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database dmka: 1. write a test program that takes a 3% random sample from a SAS dataset library (use SAS PROC SURVEYSELECT, or, if base only, ranuni()); 2. replace LIBNAME sas dataset reference in above with a connection string to a table in SQL Server; Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of dmka Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 11:07 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database SAS Users: I would like to take a 3% random sample from a SQL Server Data base. I access the data bases through the SQL pass through facility (Proc SQL through an OLEDB connection). How could I accomplish this? Thanks, Doyle. ...

US-PA: Philadelphia-Oracle/SQL Server Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is a regional job board serving all industries and occupations in the PA, NJ, DE, NY, MD, and DC areas. We offer a regional job board, online learning, and regional job fair events for jobseekers who live in our areas of focus. To Learn More: Job Board: http://www.JobCircle.com?source=ng eLearning: http://www.JobCircle.com/courseware?source=ng Job Fairs: http://JobCircleJobFairs.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle/S...

Re: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database #6 642996
David: I doubt that my vinophile SO would risk breaking a bottle of Pinot Noir on my head. An empty Pinot bottle would not have enough weight to daze a skull as thick as mine, and long before the movie Sideways came out, she would have known to select a California Merlot that had been steeped in new French oak. I would propose changing 'Statistical Obstructors' to Statistical Obstructors & Beraters, except for my fear that I might have a magnum of Mumm's applied to my head for emphasis. I'd rather risk the wrath of the SAS-L statistical scolds themselves. Sig -----Origina...

Re: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database #6 1546303
Brilliant, insightful, masterful ..., I'd say .....;> -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of DOYLE KAALUMBI Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 1:10 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Random Sample from a SQL Server Database Any comments regarding Sigurd Hermansen response as shown below: Thanks, Doyle. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sigurd Hermansen" <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.sas-l To: <SAS-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2005 11:45 AM Subject: Re: [SAS-L] Random Sample from a SQL Server Database > Doyle: > You are using a 'pass-thru' query. That means sending a SQL statement > (select CUSTOMER, NAME, COUNTRY from CUSTOMERS where COUNTRY <> 'USA') > in MS > SQL SERVER syntax to the server and receiving the yield of the query > as were > it the yield of a view. In that situation, it will probably work OK to > add a > condition on a random number function to the WHERE clause of the > pass-thru > query: > where COUNTRY <> 'USA' and RAND()<=0.03 > You may want to specify a parameter for the RAND() function so you can > replicate selection of the sample. I have not tested this on a MS SQL Server > server (the folks at MS do piratize and privatize common terms such as > 'DOS', 'Windows', 'Word', and 'Server', don...

Web resources about - Practicing SQL on sample database through PL SQL - comp.databases.oracle.server

The Practicing IT Project Manager - News, articles, links, book reviews, insight
Samad Aidane interviews Dr. Sian Beilock, who explains why highly skilled people fail to perform their best when the stakes are high. Just 22 ...

Practicing without a license - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... redirects here. For unlicensed radio spectrum, and its uses (which do not require a license), see unlicensed band . Fields where practicing ...

Best Advice: No Regrets, and Practicing What You Preach
... the word.If you asked every person in the world who gave them their best advice, it is a safe bet that most Best Advice: No Regrets, and Practicing ...

Sound Practicing - Music Practice Motivator for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch ...
Get Sound Practicing - Music Practice Motivator on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Stephen practicing on stage at The Bell House - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Dave Chensky's photos on Flickr. Dave Chensky has uploaded 4528 photos to Flickr.

Celebrities Practicing Oscar Speeches Part 1 - Lauren O'Brien Impressions (2015) HD - YouTube
Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6h Subscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUn Like us on FACEBOOK: http://goo.gl/dHs73 Follow us ...

Neil Armstrong Speaks to Certified Practicing Accountants
Small step for a man, great get for accountants

Practicing Yoga For Better Sex Combines Two Great Things In One
A healthy life consists of many things, not least of which include exercise and a good sex life. So if you can combine the two into one practice, ...

Patriots practicing without jersey numbers at OTAs
nep.247sports.com Patriots practicing without jersey numbers at OTAs nep.247sports.com After defensive end Michael Buchanan was waived earlier ...

FDNY spot man walking across frozen lake while practicing cold water rescues
A company of firefighters was practicing cold water rescues in Central Park when they spotted a man walking across the frozen lake.