Reading data from oracle database

Can anyone help me on understanding  how data is read from oracle
database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf
files from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for
reading data from dbf files of oracle database.
 If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select
* from table x' ,what all process happens next.
Thanks in Advance

0
rcllnx (2)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 00:23:54 -0800, oracle user wrote:

> Can anyone help me on understanding  how data is read from oracle
> database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf files
> from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for reading data
> from dbf files of oracle database.
>  If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select
> * from table x' ,what all process happens next. Thanks in Advance

Many things can happen, depending on the version of database. Short story
goes like this:
 - User connects to the database. User session structures are allocated
   in SGA.
 - User submits SQL statement and is given a server process to service his
   request. Server process does its own reading but writing is delegated
   to the database writer(s). The allocation process is complex as the
   allocated server can be shared, pooled or dedicated.
 - The server process executes the request and returns the result to the
   user. How is that done also depends on the allocated server.

All of this is described in the literature. In my opinion, the best book
about Oracle architecture is "Expert Oracle Database Architecture" by Tom
Kyte. You can also try with  "Practical Oracle8i: Building Efficient
Databases" by Jonathan Lewis. The latter book is a bit old but still
relevant.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
On Dec 12, 12:23=A0am, oracle user <rcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone help me on understanding =A0how data is read from oracle
> database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf
> files from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for
> reading data from dbf files of oracle database.
> =A0If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select
> * from table x' ,what all process happens next.
> Thanks in Advance

I'd prefix Mladen's answer with "before you do anything else, read the
Concepts manual, available at http://tahiti.oracle.com among other
places."  Then dive into Tom's book.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081212/news_1b12prgrn.html
On Dec 12, 3:23=A0am, oracle user <rcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone help me on understanding =A0how data is read from oracle
> database.There is a db writer process which writes data in the dbf
> files from dirty buffers. Similary what is the the mechanism for
> reading data from dbf files of oracle database.
> =A0If a user connect's to sqlplus session and gives the command 'select
> * from table x' ,what all process happens next.
> Thanks in Advance

So many good writers have documented this so well ... and you have
questions?

Follow Mladen's and Joel's advice and you are on the path to
enlightenment!
0
johnbhurley (2707)

How a server oracle can read mdb(access) database
Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server "B" with an Access database. I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on "B". How can i do this? Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? thanks On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <m0...@yahoo.it> wrote: > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > "B" with an Access database. > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > "B". How can i do this? > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > thanks You can attach odbc tables in Access, but performance sucks big time when Access tries to resolve queries on remote tables. Keep all your data in Oracle and use passthrough queries so that Oracle does the clever stuff. (Or keep everything in Access - but concurrent access sucks). C. On 30 Apr, 14:28, "C. (http://symcbean.blogspot.com/)" <..> wrote: > On Apr 30, 11:49 am, Raimo <molok> wrote: > > > Hi. I have a server "A" with oracle 10g express (free) and a server > > "B" with an Access database. > > I need that an application that uses oracle server can reads tables on > > "B". How can i do this? > > Can do i make a Local View on "A" of "B"? > > thanks > > You can attach odbc tables in Access, ...

Oracle databases on a server

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Database Toolkit: Reading data from SQL database
Hello, &nbsp; I have been working on a automated test system storing data into a SQL server database.&nbsp; Once you get your head wrapped around the toolkit and walk through some of the examples it is not too bad.&nbsp; Writing to the database was very straight forward.&nbsp; I simply put all of my data including the primary keys into a cluster and inserted the cluster into the specified table.&nbsp; As I learned the hard way,&nbsp; it is very important for all of your types to match up.&nbsp; I saved double type&nbsp;from labview as decimal type&nbsp;in th...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database >oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on >the same. >Waiting for reply. Its critical http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4406709207206#18830681837358 I have used this to example to connect to DB2. chet ...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Free Ebook Oracle Database & Oracle 9i
Free Ebook Oracle Database Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book http://www.downloadfreepdf.com On Mar 24, 6:53 am, "steveo" <selectcm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Free Ebook Oracle Database > > Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book > > http://www.downloadfreepdf.com It's all free over at http://tahiti.oracle.com also ...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #2

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #3
Hi Mark. >>Then creating current directry <your database.dbs> > >I think you mean it creates a directory called <your database>.exp. Yes, thanks. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 _________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail sending to informix-list ...

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3. I connect with the command sqlplus as user "sys/secret as SYSDBA" to launch the command "create database" B U T at this point when i insert a usr/pwd (i have tryed with sys/change_on_install as sysdba, system/manager, sys/secret, scott/tiger, all...) in Windows98 appears a dialog box (the same obtained clicking on the menu voice "Start Oracle database") that ask for a password: not a username/password, only a password. I've inserted the same passed to the orapwd command and all known password but it say that it's incorrect. After this I've disinstalled all and reinstalled responding "yes" when Universal Installer ask to install a database. In this way all run correctly. Probably in Windows98 u have to permit the installation of a db to use oracle. Probably the installation of ...

Convert SAP Oracle Database to IBM DB2 Database??
Hello, I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle database to IBM DB2 database? Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your Oracle version back-leveled? Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone used to convert to DB2. Thank you. Charles On 6 Feb, 01:52, "Charles Davis" <cdavis10...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 database? > > Did you realize greater disk saving via DB2 compression? > > Did you run the latest version of DB2 rather than allow SAP to keep your > Oracle version back-leveled? > > Please, DB2 Bashers need not apply, looking for the business case anyone > used to convert to DB2. > > Thank you. > > Charles I'm no DB2 basher, however, from you post you seem to be insinuating that disk space is the driving force for this conversion. Is this the case? HTH -g Charles Davis wrote: > I would like to hear from anyone here who has converted their SAP Oracle > database to IBM DB2 database? Check your in-box at the email address you use here. I have passed you a contact that I consider as close to non-partisan as I could think of (and more importantly, I don't know what she'll say over a beer). Cheers Serge -- Serge Rielau DB2 Solutio...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

SqlSpec

Web resources about - Reading data from oracle database - comp.databases.oracle.server