restoring 9.2.0.6 datafiles with 9.2.0.7 Oracle

Hello

Is there potential problem ? we want to use old datafiles in 9.2.0.6
with a patched oracle in 9.2.0.7...

Thank you

0
noeltrk (5)

nonor wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there potential problem ? we want to use old datafiles in 9.2.0.6
> with a patched oracle in 9.2.0.7...
>
> Thank you

No, you don't want to do that.  You want to solve some problem, for
which you believe that to be the solution.  What is the problem you are
trying to solve?

In answer to your question -- yes, I'd think there would be disasterous
problems.  So, again -- what is the problem you are trying to solve?

0
quetico_man (523)
2/8/2006 7:14:52 PM
nonor wrote:
> Hello
>
> Is there potential problem ? we want to use old datafiles in 9.2.0.6
> with a patched oracle in 9.2.0.7...

That really describes a usual step in applying the 9.2.0.7 patchset.

The database files are still at ( whatever ) the old patch level was
.... say 9.2.0.6.

You have to use the patched oracle binaries to open the database.

But then the next step should be to follow the steps in the 9.2.0.7 for
patching existing databases ...

startup migrate and run the script to move the database files up to
9.2.0.7 ...

Is that what you are attempting to do?

Have you read the readme ( installation instructions ) for the 9.2.0.7
patchset?

0
johnbhurley (2707)

Oracle server 9.2.0.1.0, Client 9.2.0.4.0, Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1
Hi Everybody, My Database server is running on Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1, And my Oracle version is 9.2.0.1.0. My Client mechine also Red Hat Linux enterprise advanced server 2.1 , Oracle client version is 9.2.0.4.0. I am running a web application. Our application is in Magic edeveloper. I connect to Oracle using oracle gateway to my application. My Problem is my application is is becoming slow. I am not able to trace where the problem is. Before our application was running fine. recently i upgraded Oracle client version to 9.2.0.4.0. My Oracle client & server versions are different. I am getting error on my client mechine, it showing all memory address on the screen and the part of error is, arg register addr=83498cc .... Dump of memory from 0x83988c to 0x83499cc .... -- End of Call stack trace -- I am not able to trace where the problem is.Any insight please... Thanks, Ssreddy. ...

help:How can i take Export of Oracle 9.2.0.1 from Oracle 9.2.0.7
How can i take Export of Oracle 9.2.0.1 from Oracle 9.2.0.7 1-what scripts are to be used 2-Where i can find these scripts. Thnks. You can't. You can use lower version export to export higher version database. The other way around has never been possible. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA You probably have Oracle 9.2.0.1 running somewhere right, perhaps on another machine ? Set your ORACLE_HOME to 9.2.0.1 then export through sqlnet: exp username/pwd @9207instance Now you'll use the 9.2.0.1 export utility; this should work. "shahsyed" <shahsyed@gmail.com> schreef in bericht . > How can i take Export of Oracle 9.2.0.1 from Oracle 9.2.0.7 > > 1-what scripts are to be used > 2-Where i can find these scripts. > > Thnks. Hi, I guess oracle dosen't support backword comatibilty.then how it is possible?? Thanks Alok. On 9 Aug 2005 22:05:49 -0700, alok.behria@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, > > I guess oracle dosen't support backword comatibilty.then how it is >possible?? > >Thanks >Alok. Oracle is backwards compatible provided you have the definition of backwards compatible correct. You can connect (again) *lower version client* to a *higher version database* The other way around has nothing to do with backwards compatible, though it usually works, *with the exception of export/import, AS DOCUMENTED* (but I guess no one ever reads the docs) -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi, ...

Moving a single instance 9.2.0.7 database to a clustered 9.2.0.6 database environment #2
HI, I have the following situation: We have Veritas cluster setup , and there are 2 solaris servers on which VCS is set up. On this set up we have about 8 databases all of which are 9.2.0.6 version. Now we have one stand alone solaris server, and it has a 9.2.0.7 database. This database is for a third party application -Clear Case & Clear Quest. Now it is required to move the single instance database to clustered environment. Since in the clustered environment we have 9.2.0.6 version, is it AT ALL POSSIBLE to move this database, which is 9.2.0.7 to that enviroment? I guess not, and in that case, what are the options? - since this is a packaged application , so should be contact the vendor and ask them whether we can downgrade the database to 9.2.0.6? - is that a valid option? Are there other options? (upgrading the existing 9.2.0.6 database to make all of them 9.2.0.7 is not allowed.) With thanks, Nirav ...

Upgrade from Oracle 9.2.0.1 to Oracle 9.2.0.3
Hello All, I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4. Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4? Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start again? Thanks Kumu Hello Kumu, What is the reason for upgrade? Any specific bugs or issues you experience? You can open TAR as well to get support recommendations for your situation. New patches can introduce new problems as you can see, Regards, Ron DBA Infopower http://www.dbainfopower.com Standard disclaimer: http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html "kumu" <forlist2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a44abd39.0402161837.6badb9ed@posting.google.com... > Hello All, > I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or > 9.2.0.4. Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4? > > Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying > 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start > again? > > Thanks > Kumu "Ron" <support@dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<QqWdnRM_cMiwWqzdRVn-vg@comcast.com>... > Hello Kumu, > > What is the reason for upgrade? Any specific bugs or issues you > experience? > > You can open TAR as well to get support recommendations for your > situation. > > New patches can introduce new...

upgrade from oracle 9.2.0.1.0 to 9.2.0.5.0
Hi, I have a 9.2.0.1.0 database that I want to upgrade to 9.2.0.5. for window version 32 bits, does anyone can provide the node document information of step by step doing it. many thanks leehi leehi wrote: > I have a 9.2.0.1.0 database that I want to upgrade to 9.2.0.5. for > window version 32 bits, Windows NT4? W2k? W2K3? W2K3 - Release 2? Why stop ot 9.2.0.5? > does anyone can provide the node document information of step by step > doing it. leehi wrote: > Hi, > > I have a 9.2.0.1.0 database that I want to upgrade to 9.2.0.5. for > window version 32 bits, > > does anyone can provide the node document information of step by step > doing it. > > many thanks > > leehi Go to metalink.oracle.com (registration and Oracle support CSI required). Click on Patches and Updates tab. Wait for the whole screen to load. Use one of the search functions to find your patch (note the Quick Links if you are getting something common, like 9206 or 9207). When you finally get to your patch download, click on the readme (the piece-of-paper icon next to the download icon). Read all the instructions. It's a good idea to read the instructions every time you do it, even (or perhaps especially) when you are comfortable doing it. The readme is usually also included with the patch. Download and unzip the patch. Look at what is there in the patch, perhaps there are additional release notes. Look around on metalink for addition...

Moving a single instance 9.2.0.7 database to a clustered 9.2.0.6 database environment
HI, I have the following situation: We have Veritas cluster setup , and there are 2 solaris servers on which VCS is set up. On this set up we have about 8 databases all of which are 9.2.0.6 version. Now we have one stand alone solaris server, and it has a 9.2.0.7 database. This database is for a third party application -Clear Case & Clear Quest. Now it is required to move the single instance database to clustered environment. Since in the clustered environment we have 9.2.0.6 version, is it AT ALL POSSIBLE to move this database, which is 9.2.0.7 to that enviroment? I guess not, and in that case, what are the options? - since this is a packaged application , so should be contact the vendor and ask them whether we can downgrade the database to 9.2.0.6? - is that a valid option? Are there other options? (upgrading the existing 9.2.0.6 database to make all of them 9.2.0.7 is not allowed.) Again thanks a lot for the kind help.. Nirav nirav wrote: > HI, > > I have the following situation: > > We have Veritas cluster setup , and there are 2 solaris servers on > which VCS is set up. On this set up we have about 8 databases all of > which are 9.2.0.6 version. > > Now we have one stand alone solaris server, and it has a 9.2.0.7 > database. This database is for a third party application -Clear Case & > Clear Quest. > > Now it is required to move the single instance database to clustered > environment. > > Since in the cl...

optimizer_features_enable difference between 9.2.0.1/9..2.0.3/9.2.0.6?
Hi, All, I noticed for this parameter optimizer_features_enable , oracle document says: Syntax OPTIMIZER_FEATURES_ENABLE = {8.0.0 | 8.0.3 | 8.0.4 | 8.0.5 | 8.0.6 | 8.0.7 | 8.1.0 | 8.1.3 | 8.1.4 | 8.1.5 | 8.1.6 | 8.1.7 | 9.0.0 | 9.0.1 | 9.2.0} I noticed when I keep it default to 9.2.0 in init.ora, in version 9.2.0.3 and 9.2.0.5 with exact same database and exact same init.ora, oracle CBO did choose different plan. So there is some difference between 9.2.0.X versioin for the CBO. Where can we get such information about the difference? Thanks On 12 Jul 2005 23:37:28 -0700, "chao_ping" <zhuchao@gmail.com> wrote: > So there is some difference between 9.2.0.X versioin for the CBO. >Where can we get such information about the difference? Usually such things are outlined either in the release notes or in the new features documents. Documents that obviously no one reads. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA "chao_ping" <zhuchao@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121236648.759298.79320@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, All, > I noticed for this parameter optimizer_features_enable , oracle > document says: > Syntax > OPTIMIZER_FEATURES_ENABLE = {8.0.0 | 8.0.3 | 8.0.4 | 8.0.5 | 8.0.6 | > 8.0.7 | 8.1.0 | 8.1.3 | 8.1.4 | 8.1.5 | 8.1.6 | 8.1.7 | 9.0.0 | 9.0.1 | > 9.2.0} > > > I noticed when I keep it default to 9.2.0 in init.ora, in version > 9.2.0.3 and 9.2.0.5 with exact same database and...

upgrate from 9.2.0.1.0 to 9.2.0.7.0
how to upgrade.... storm pixie wrote: > how to upgrade.... You grab the upgrade download and install it. Or you re-install from a complete base version. No rocket science, just follow the instructions. On 17 May 2006 17:55:59 -0700, "storm pixie" <amit.dba@gmail.com> wrote: >how to upgrade.... go to metalink download patch. find readme.html in the patch dowloaded follow test on non-production system first when it doubt, re-read the readme. ........ We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 remove NSPAM to email Download patch or request a cd from oracle supp check the current installation. follow the instruction as the readme file. install the latest jvm patches for OEM. Please take note Oracle Workspace is only 9.2.0.5. You can always log a tar in metalink for support Download patch or request a cd from oracle supp check the current installation. follow the instruction as the readme file. install the latest jvm patches for OEM. Please take note Oracle Workspace is only 9.2.0.5. You can always log a tar in metalink for support ...

Install problems with Oracle installer 2.2 for Oracle 9i Client 9.2.0.1.0
Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong forum - I am an Oracle Newbie. Here are my computer specs : Windows 2003 - fully patch from Microsoft as of Sept 4th 2004 HP LP2000r 1 x 1,1 Gig Intel processor 1 GB RAM Hardware RAID 1, 12 GB with 8 GB freespace Clean install, no other programs. At first I tried running the Oracle installer program from the CD ROM and came up with the error that it could not find the javaw.exe program. I then tried installing and reinstalling several versions of java to no avail. Next I searched through groups.google and found the solution: 1. Copy the Oracle CD to the hard drive. I copied it to a subfolder directly to C:\Oracle9i 2. Change the file c:\oracle9i\install\ORAPARAM.INI to reflect the actual name of the directories listed in the install directories of the cd I just copied. I did this and next took out some "."s and put the absolute path to the java program and something called the "OUI_LOCATION". JRE_LOCATION=C:/oracle9i/stage/Components/oracleswdjre/13110a/1/DataFiles/Expanded OUI_LOCATION=C:/oracle9i/stage/Components/oracleswdoui/220120/1/DataFiles/Expanded Okay so good so far. This time the installer actually started. The problem occurs in the next few steps, when I click "next" (weiter in German) from the welcome screen- please understand if I translate something wrong here. Then I am shown the installation directory screen, where I select the default listed: Source : C:\Oracle...

massive performance drop Oracle 9i on multi processor system (Windows Server 2003, Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.6.0)
The performance of some complex PL/SQL functions has dropped dramatically since migrating from Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.0) on Windows Server 2000 to 9i (9.2.0.6.0) on Windows Server 2003. We found out, that Oracle 9i performance on a multi processor CPU machine (our server has 4 XEON CPUs, Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS) is highly dependent on init.ora parameters; unfortunately our trial and error approach to find the proper settings (we searched Oracle Tech Net (OTN) and google groups without success) did not help so far. We are testing performance behaviour with some business critical PL/SQL procedures that do authorization calculations for our application. Simplified these functions do a lot of inserts, deletes and selects in/from tables (being used as temp tables in lack of in memory temp table support of oracle 9i). We can monitor the progress within the stored procedure by using UTL_FILE functions to write a log file into the file system of the server; we real time monitor the log file using "tail -f". <PL/SQL do something> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE(); <PL/SQL do something> UnbufferedLogFileOutputUsingUTL_FILE(); [...] When setting "CPU_COUNT = 1" in init.ora the function will typically run up to 10 seconds, when setting "CPU_COUNT = 4" it will take more than 2 minutes (!!!) We experimented with the following other parameters so far: db_writer_processes (set to 4 in combination with cpu_count = 4) fast_start_parall...

Where to get oracle patch 9.2.0.4 and 9.2.0.5
I'm doing an install for work on a windows xp (32bit) development station. To mimik the production systems I need to install 9.2.0.1.0 and then the patches for 9.2.0.4 and 9.2.0.5. I've installed 9.2.0.1 and I have a disk for the patches but it is corrupted. Where can I get these patches? I've tried google to no avail. Thanks in advance! On 29 Jun 2006 15:13:24 -0700, "David.E.M....@gmail.com" <David.E.Murphy@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm doing an install for work on a windows xp (32bit) development >station. To mimik the production systems I need to install 9.2.0.1.0 >and then the patches for 9.2.0.4 and 9.2.0.5. I've installed 9.2.0.1 >and I have a disk for the patches but it is corrupted. Where can I get >these patches? I've tried google to no avail. Thanks in advance! Patches are available on Metalink. And, yes, you need to have a paid support contract for that. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA David.E.M....@gmail.com wrote: > I'm doing an install for work on a windows xp (32bit) development > station. To mimik the production systems I need to install 9.2.0.1.0 > and then the patches for 9.2.0.4 and 9.2.0.5. I've installed 9.2.0.1 > and I have a disk for the patches but it is corrupted. Where can I get > these patches? I've tried google to no avail. Thanks in advance! You get the patches from oracle http://www.oracle.com then go to the support link then metalink ... I&#...

Oracle 9.2 vs. Oracle 9.2.0.4.
I'm using SDK 1.4.2_03 either with an Oracle 9.2 or an Oracle 9.2.0.4 client version. The 9.2 version behaves as expected. My problem only occurs with the 9.2.0.4. version. If I try to process the ResultSet of database query and the selected column data includes leading blanks, the 9.2.0.4 seems to trim these leading blanks. Is this behaviour known or am I doing something wrong ? <code snippet> ResultSet result = null; Connection con = null; Statement stmt = null; Vector vec = new Vector(); try { con = DriverManager.getConnection(dbUrl, dbUser, dbPassword); stmt = con.createStatement(); result = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT DATA FROM CPTMESSAGEDATA";); while (result.next()) { vec.add(result.getString("DATA")); } con.close(); stmt.close(); } catch (SQLException e) { } </code snippet> CPTMessageData.DATA is of type VARCHAR2(50) not nullable with values like: " @20013 @E123 @G123 @ @ @ " " @3700167 @43186 @B50_300 @1 @20013 @1 @OK " Any help is appreciated. Alex ...

Bind Errors
Recently migrated from 8.1.7 to 9i and my Oracle Reports are no longer working -- I am getting an ORA-01006 Bind Variable does not exist. Has anybody had any success running reports developed in 2.5 to run against 9.2.0.6.0? They are working on 9.2.0.1.0 but I am rushed for time - don't really have the resources to upgrade this and all the instances on it so quickly. ManChild wrote: > Recently migrated from 8.1.7 to 9i and my Oracle Reports are no longer > working -- I am getting an ORA-01006 Bind Variable does not exist. Has > anybody had any success running reports developed in 2.5 to run against > 9.2.0.6.0? They are working on 9.2.0.1.0 but I am rushed for time - > don't really have the resources to upgrade this and all the instances > on it so quickly. Apparently the concept of testing evaded your management. Did you check metalink? -- Daniel Morgan Puget Sound Oracle Users Group On 12 Sep 2006 14:48:48 -0700, "ManChild" <starritt@gmail.com> wrote: > >Recently migrated from 8.1.7 to 9i and my Oracle Reports are no longer >working -- I am getting an ORA-01006 Bind Variable does not exist. Has >anybody had any success running reports developed in 2.5 to run against >9.2.0.6.0? They are working on 9.2.0.1.0 but I am rushed for time - >don't really have the resources to upgrade this and all the instances >on it so quickly. Please answer the question when Reports 2....

Oracle Warehouse Builder 9.2.0.2.8 and Workflow 2.6.2 on linux
Hi there, I downloaded OWB_9.2.0.2.8_linux.tar.gz from here: http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/warehouse/index.html In the above download I found OWB installation documentation. In the OWB installation documentation, I see evidence that Oracle Warehouse Builder (runtime portion) makes use of "Oracle Workflow". It does not mention a version though. It does say that Workflow is neccessary. The documentation for Workflow was easy to find here: http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage#index-WOR I'm not sure where to find the Workflow software though. The documentation for Workflow suggests that it is installed via OUI rather than a simple unzip (as used by JDeveloper for example). In http://metalink.oracle.com, I found evidence that Workflow is not a standalone product but that it is bundled with other products. I also found evidence that it lives in a directory named "ofw" once it is installed. I did not find mention of workflow in any of the download areas so I'm curious if any of you have installed it and if yes, where did you get it? I hate to be a whiner, but OWB product mgt has dropped the ball here. I spent a day setting up my OWB POC environment and here I am near the end of the installation and I can't find a critical piece of software and the OWB installation documentation gives no clue where to get the software or if it even has a part number. The same can be said for the Workflow software. Do th...

Connection from Oracle Developer Suite 10g 9.0.4.0.1 to Oracle DB 10g Release 10.1.0.2.0
Hi, I have installed Oracle DB 10g Release 10.1.0.2.0 on Windows XP. START->ALL PROGS->oracle-OraDb10g_home3 Location of TNSNAMES FILE: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_3\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA with two alias: 1)ORCL3 2) EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA I can logon to database via SQL*PLUS and I can log on to EM on the web as well using ORCL3. After that I installed Oracle Developer Suite 10g 9.0.4.0.1 to my the same computer. During installation it was not allowing me to install this suite to the same ORACLE home. I installed this in the following home: START->ALL PROGS->...

apply patch 9.2.0.6 on 9.2.0.1.
To apply patch 9.2.0.6 on 9.2.0.1. Do we have to apply all patches between them means 1st 9.2.0.2 then 9.2.0.3 then 9.2.0.4 then 9.2.0.5 and then 9.2.0.6. Or can I do it directly. on windows XP "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle.dba@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1167974188.705052.140810@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | To apply patch 9.2.0.6 on 9.2.0.1. | Do we have to apply all patches between them means 1st 9.2.0.2 then | 9.2.0.3 then 9.2.0.4 then 9.2.0.5 and then 9.2.0.6. Or can I do it | directly. on windows XP | Each patch/patchset comes with a readme file. Please read it before posting. Regards Michel Cadot Michel Cadot wrote: > "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle.dba@gmail.com> a =E9crit dans le message d= e news: > 1167974188.705052.140810@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > | To apply patch 9.2.0.6 on 9.2.0.1. > | Do we have to apply all patches between them means 1st 9.2.0.2 then > | 9.2.0.3 then 9.2.0.4 then 9.2.0.5 and then 9.2.0.6. Or can I do it > | directly. on windows XP > | > > Each patch/patchset comes with a readme file. > Please read it before posting. > > Regards > Michel Cadot Please tell me the patch number to be applied on 9.2.0.1 to upgrade it to 9.2.0.4 aman.oracle.dba wrote: > Michel Cadot wrote: > > "aman.oracle.dba" <aman.oracle.dba@gmail.com> a =E9crit dans le message= de news: > > 1167974188.705052.140810@s34g2000cwa.googlegrou...

How to upgrade a DB from 9.2.0.1 to 9.2.0.7 ???
Dear all, I've just upgraded my Oracle software to version 9.2.0.7 because it corrects a bug found in 9.2.0.1. OK, now the bug disappeared... but .... Now I cannot use anymore IMP and EXP. I face the following error : ------------8<------------------8<------------------ C:\Temp>exp ME/password@database file=exp_file owner=ME Export: Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production on Tue Oct 4 15:22:06 2005 Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production Export done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set About to export specified users ... .. exporting pre-schema procedural objects and actions .. exporting foreign function library names for user ME .. exporting PUBLIC type synonyms .. exporting private type synonyms .. exporting object type definitions for user ME EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered ORA-00942: table or view does not exist EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully ------------8<------------------8<------------------ I looked for upgrade scripts/tools/info and the like... localy and on the net (metalink, asktom, usenet, etc) without luck so far. I found CATEXP.SQL and CATPATCH.SQL in %ORA_HOME%\rdbms\admin, but can't tell wether this is for 9.2.0.1 or 9.2.0.7... ...

oracle 9.2.0.4.0 red hat 9
Hi, I'm having problems installing Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 on Red Hat 9. During runInstaller, I get numerous errors about something wrong with the target of makefile in various directories. Also, many of the assistants, like the Database Configuration Assistant don't get installed. I can start sqlplus. But then I can't mount the starter database I created during the installation. Also, when I try to run dbca, I get this error: /hutch/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/../lib/i686/green_threads/libzip.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference (libzip.so) Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread Could not create Java VM The strange thing about this is that I've installed Java 1.4.2. Why is it looking for Java 1.1.8? I did notice in the Oracle installer interface that it was installing Java 1.1.8. Is Java 1.1.8 a permananet part of the Oracle installer? Thanks for any advice, tglahn17 wrote: > Hi, > > I'm having problems installing Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 on Red Hat 9. During > runInstaller, I get numerous errors about something wrong with the > target of makefile in various directories. Also, many of the > assistants, like the Database Configuration Assistant don't get > installed. I can start sqlplus. But then I can't mount the starter > database I created during the installation. Also, when I try to run > dbca, I get this error: > > /hutch/oracle/jre...

select rowid help for oracle 9.2.0.2.0
hi, i'm hoping someone can help me with this. here's the scenerio, i have a million row table a and i do the following: begin for i in ( select /*+ full(a) */ a_column from a) loop null; end loop; end; / runtime: 2 minutes now, i try the following: begin for i in ( select /*+ full(a) */ rowid from a) loop null; end loop; end; / runtime: 10+ minutes (i've never waited long enough for it to complete) i do not know how to explain the difference in time. i believe this is a pl/sql bug. i can do a [select /*+ full(a) */ a_column from a] or [select /*+ full(a) */ rowid from a] in sqlplus with no difference in runtime. i ran into this issue after upgrading from 8.1.7.4.0 to 9.2.0.2.0. if anyone has any ideas or can help that would be great (before i create a TAR). thanks in advance. -maurice ps --> the OS is SunOS 5.8 I've just repeated the test in 9.2.0.4 It's a bug. Check your memory usage (session statistics session uga memory session uga memory max session pga memory session pga memory max ) the version selecting the rowid leaked about 20MB of memory when I ran your test with 200,000 rows. It also took about 20 times as long as the version selecting a numeric column. I haven't investigated it any further - just send your test case to Oracle with a simple create table as select from all_objects to start it off. -- Regards Jonathan Lewis http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.u...

int((9.2-9.0)*10) is 1, int((9.21-9.0)*10) is 2, why?
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 The following line of code describes an funny question$B!'(B >>> int((9.2-9.0)*10) 1 >>> int((9.21-9.0)*10) 2 >>> int((9.1-9.0)*10) 0 >>> int((9.11-9.0)*10) 1 >>> int((8.2-8.0)*10) 1 >>> int((8.23-8.0)*10) 2 why? anybody can explain it? On Sep 5, 11:12 pm, bcm <bluecrysta...@gmail.com> wrote: > Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit > (Intel)] on win32 > The following line of code describes an funny que...

ORA-01571: redo version 9.2.0.0.0 incompatible with ORACLE version 8.1.7
Hye, While running an upgrade from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.4 I finished the upgrade successfully I started the database and wanted to change undo tablespace management to be automatic So I offline the rollback segs, offline the tablespace that holds then and drop it. I want to create a new tablespace UNDO but I got the error the the parameter compatible is set to a lower value which is true because I have 8.1.7. I disconnect, delete the compatible entry from the file and want to log again. And here's the surprise ORA-01571: redo version 9.2.0.0.0 incompatible with ORACLE version 8.1.7 I have the database backed up so I can restore but I am hoping there is a way that will save me some time. What can I do to eliminate this error ? TIA Michal What do you mean you deleted the compatible parameter ... Did you not set it to a new proper value For example "compatible=9.2.0.0.0" Or is there a reason you would not want to change it - which do exist. It says oracle version is 8i...and redo version 9i. Are you starting the database under right environment? Sorry, I was a little too quick on my post. I should have though about the possibility that you could be using the new server parameter file, in which case you might have to execute the following -> alter system set compatible="9.2.0.0.0.0" scope=spfile; ...

Oracle 9.2.0.5, RedHat 7.3 (2.4.27) and SGA size 2.7GB
Hello all, My problem : I'm trying to increase the SGA to 2.7 GB. What have I done so far : 1) I have succesfully installed the above mentioned database following the HOWTO http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml#RunningOracleInstallation. The database is working without problems, but uses only 1.7GB of memory for SGA. 2) I have followed the excelent HOWTO from Werner Puschitz located on http://www.puschitz.com/TuningLinuxForOracle.shtml#IncreasingSpaceForLargerSGA, but when I come to the point for changing the mapped base on Linux OS level, I'm unable to locate the file /proc/<pid>/mapped_base, and my /proc only says (5390 is the PID of oracle shell): [root@server root]# ls -al /proc/5390/ total 0 dr-xr-xr-x 3 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 . dr-xr-xr-x 69 root root 0 Mar 7 15:29 .. -r--r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 cmdline -r--r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 cpu lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 cwd -> /home/oracle -r-------- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 environ lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 exe -> /bin/bash dr-x------ 2 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 fd -r--r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 maps -rw------- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 mem -r--r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 mounts lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 8 10:14 root...

9.2.0.6 upgrade to 10.2.0.2
Hey all, I'm upgrading an instance from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2.0.2. I have a question about the critical patch updates. While preparing the 10.2.0.2 Oracle Home can I install the CPU patch before I run dbua? If so, do I still need to run catpatch after the upgrade? Or should you wait until after the database has been upgraded? tnx. On Apr 1, 1:18 pm, "Dave" <david.b...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey all, > > I'm upgrading an instance from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2.0.2. I have a > question about the critical patch updates. While preparing the > 10.2.0.2 Oracle Home can I install the CPU patch before I run dbua? > If so, do I still need to run catpatch after the upgrade? Or should > you wait until after the database has been upgraded? > > tnx. I wouldn't run the CPU patch for 10.2 until you have your 9.2.0.6 database upgraded. David Fitzjarrell On Apr 1, 6:33 pm, "fitzjarr...@cox.net" <fitzjarr...@cox.net> wrote: > On Apr 1, 1:18 pm, "Dave" <david.b...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hey all, > > > I'm upgrading an instance from 9.2.0.6 to 10.2.0.2. I have a > > question about the critical patch updates. While preparing the > > 10.2.0.2 Oracle Home can I install the CPU patch before I run dbua? > > If so, do I still need to run catpatch after the upgrade? Or should > > you wait until after the database has been upgraded? > > > tnx...

oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0)
Hi! when I call the oracle performance manager I get the following errors: VTM-0002: error when displaying graph java.lang.null.pointerexception at oracle.sysman.vtd.VtdCartridge.lookupClass(VtdCartridge.java:1313) ..... what is my problem? Thanks! ...

Web resources about - restoring 9.2.0.6 datafiles with 9.2.0.7 Oracle - comp.databases.oracle.server

Restoring Family Links - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The activities are carried out by the components of the RFL is sometimes also referred to as tracing. The ICRC and National Red Cross and Red ...

Restoring Honor
What an honor it was to speak today at the “Restoring Honor” Rally in D.C. The following is the text of my remarks. You can click here or here ...

Michael Warns: Democrats are the KKK - Restoring Honor rally - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Michael Warns and his friends holding up anti-Democrat signs on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally ...

Restoring Service in Rhode Island After Sandy - YouTube
Since Hurricane Sandy hit, Verizon employees have been out in force across the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, working round-the-clock in the hardest-hit ...

In MSNBC Promo, Matthews Supplies Secret To Restoring Washington's Good Name: More Big-Government Programs ...
... nation's capital is in such ill-repute that if George Washington were around, he might sue to have his name taken off it. But never fear: restoring ...

Restoring the glory of ancient Babylon
New project aims to save key cultural heritage sites in Babylon, one of the most famed cities of antiquity and now an important archaeological ...

The ear is the new eye: How restoring hearing is becoming big business
In search of an alternative to hearing aids or implants, some report success in early trials for drugs to improve hearing or silence tinnitus. ...

Attorney-General Brad Hazzard says restoring QCs 'is not my highest priority'
Attorney-General Brad Hazzard has weighed into an increasingly bitter debate about the reintroduction of the title of Queen's Counsel for senior ...

Restoring a 140-year-old Bowral home to its former glory involves much labour and love
The Cedar House has experienced many transformations in its 140-year history.

Telstra restoring services after another outage reported by customers
TELSTRA has restored mobile services across the country after a massive outage that wreaked havoc on customers using their mobile phones and ...