sql command to list all databases in the oracle server

Hi,

could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases
in a oracle server?

0
dalu.gelu (14)

dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases
> in a oracle server?

Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual.
There are Instances and Databases and Schemas.
There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance.
There are multiple schemas!  (select distinct owner from dba_tables)
Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

0
sybrandb1 (715)
12/29/2006 7:45:00 AM
only one database in oracle server, see v$database view
sybrandb wrote:
> dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases
> > in a oracle server?
>
> Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual.
> There are Instances and Databases and Schemas.
> There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance.
> There are multiple schemas!  (select distinct owner from dba_tables)
> Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

0
z.yikai (1)
12/29/2006 8:36:57 AM
dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote:

> could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing
> databases in a oracle server?

Depends what you mean by "database" and "server".  If "server"
means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the
Oracle instances ("databases"), on most Unixes you can run

      /bin/ps -ef | grep ora_pmon | grep -v grep

and you will see output like:

     oracle  2345     1  0   Dec 22 ?        0:00 ora_pmon_APPLE
     oracle  2844     1  0   Dec 22 ?        0:00 ora_pmon_ORANGE
     oracle  2787     1  0   Dec 22 ?        0:00 ora_pmon_PEAR

This would indicate you have three distinct instances,
APPLE, ORANGE, and PEAR on that *machine*.  Note that this is only
the instances running right now, and that the machine could have
installed and configured additional instances that are not running
for some reason (e.g., they are disabled in the "oratab" startup).

But if by "server" you mean an Oracle instance, and by database you
mean the separate schemas in that instance, you can connect
to an instance and run:

    select owner from dba_tables
    union
    select owner from dba_views;

Note you have to combine owners of tables and views, as some schemas
may exist solely for the purpose of owning views (I have such ones
where I work).

Above is only schemas/users who actually have existing tables/views.
For an more comprehensive list, you can run

    select username from dba_users;

which will give all the existing users/schemas that could potentially
own database objects (tables, views, sequences, triggers, stored
procedures) and be given various privileges (CREATE TABLE, etc.).
Note that this list includes Oracle's "internal" users like SYS,
SYSTEM, SYSMAN, OUTLN, DBSNMP, etc. which are not really "databases"
from the Oracle users's point of view.

Hope that helps,

John Hinsdale

0
hin (61)
12/29/2006 11:32:20 AM
John K. Hinsdale wrote:
> dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing
> > databases in a oracle server?
>
> Depends what you mean by "database" and "server".  If "server"
> means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the
> Oracle instances ("databases"), on most Unixes you can run
>
>       /bin/ps -ef | grep ora_pmon | grep -v grep
>
> and you will see output like:
>
>      oracle  2345     1  0   Dec 22 ?        0:00 ora_pmon_APPLE
>      oracle  2844     1  0   Dec 22 ?        0:00 ora_pmon_ORANGE
>      oracle  2787     1  0   Dec 22 ?        0:00 ora_pmon_PEAR
>
> This would indicate you have three distinct instances,
> APPLE, ORANGE, and PEAR on that *machine*.  Note that this is only
> the instances running right now, and that the machine could have
> installed and configured additional instances that are not running
> for some reason (e.g., they are disabled in the "oratab" startup).
>
> But if by "server" you mean an Oracle instance, and by database you
> mean the separate schemas in that instance, you can connect
> to an instance and run:
>
>     select owner from dba_tables
>     union
>     select owner from dba_views;
>
> Note you have to combine owners of tables and views, as some schemas
> may exist solely for the purpose of owning views (I have such ones
> where I work).
>
> Above is only schemas/users who actually have existing tables/views.
> For an more comprehensive list, you can run
>
>     select username from dba_users;
>
> which will give all the existing users/schemas that could potentially
> own database objects (tables, views, sequences, triggers, stored
> procedures) and be given various privileges (CREATE TABLE, etc.).
> Note that this list includes Oracle's "internal" users like SYS,
> SYSTEM, SYSMAN, OUTLN, DBSNMP, etc. which are not really "databases"
> from the Oracle users's point of view.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> John Hinsdale

Excellent, productive response.  The only thing I would add is if the
OP is on Windows (as it appears they have been using SQL Server), then
check the services applet in the Control Panel for all registered
instances.

Regards,

Steve

0
stevedhoward (759)
12/29/2006 4:41:26 PM
dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases
> in a oracle server?

Oracle IS NOT SQL Server
Oracle IS NOT Sybase
Oracle IS NOT Informix
Oracle IS NOT Ingres

Thus your question has no meaning.

In Oracle a "database" is a set of related physical files sitting on
disk. It has nothing to do with the use of that word in other products.

The word you are looking for is SCHEMA and the query you are asking for is:

SELECT username, account_status
FROM dba_users
ORDER BY 1;

For more information try the following:
http://tahiti.oracle.com
http://www.psoug.org (and click on Morgan's Library)

HTH
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
DA Morgan wrote:
> dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases
> > in a oracle server?
>
> Oracle IS NOT SQL Server
> Oracle IS NOT Sybase
> Oracle IS NOT Informix
> Oracle IS NOT Ingres
>
> Thus your question has no meaning.
>
> In Oracle a "database" is a set of related physical files sitting on
> disk. It has nothing to do with the use of that word in other products.
>
> The word you are looking for is SCHEMA and the query you are asking for is:
>
> SELECT username, account_status
> FROM dba_users
> ORDER BY 1;

Wouldn't this show more then the "schema-owners".
I looked it up in the (oracle 10) documentation : "A schema is a
collection of database objects. A schema is owned by a database user
and has the same name as that user."

I think the above query will show all users in the database. Probably a
lot of them are not schema-owners.

So ... if you are looking for schema's (ofcourse identified by
username) you better could use the following query?
select distinct username from dba_objects;

anyway ...... everybody have a wonderfull 2007

Best regards,

Martijn Bos

Martijn wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>> dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases
>>> in a oracle server?
>> Oracle IS NOT SQL Server
>> Oracle IS NOT Sybase
>> Oracle IS NOT Informix
>> Oracle IS NOT Ingres
>>
>> Thus your question has no meaning.
>>
>> In Oracle a "database" is a set of related physical files sitting on
>> disk. It has nothing to do with the use of that word in other products.
>>
>> The word you are looking for is SCHEMA and the query you are asking for is:
>>
>> SELECT username, account_status
>> FROM dba_users
>> ORDER BY 1;
>>

> Wouldn't this show more then the "schema-owners".
> I looked it up in the (oracle 10) documentation : "A schema is a
> collection of database objects. A schema is owned by a database user
> and has the same name as that user."
>
> I think the above query will show all users in the database. Probably a
> lot of them are not schema-owners.
>
> So ... if you are looking for schema's (ofcourse identified by
> username) you better could use the following query?
> select distinct username from dba_objects;
>
> anyway ...... everybody have a wonderfull 2007
>
> Best regards,
>
> Martijn Bos
>
>> For more information try the following:
>> http://tahiti.oracle.com
>> http://www.psoug.org (and click on Morgan's Library)
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan@x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org

Then do this instead:

SELECT DISTINCT owner
FROM dba_objects
ORDER BY 1;
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
damorgan@x.washington.edu
(replace x with u to respond)
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
www.psoug.org
0
damorgan3 (6326)

SqlSpec
Do you wish you had comprehensive, easily navigable documentation for your SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, and Access databases? Are you a SQL Developer or DBA that just inherited a huge, complex database with no supporting docs and don't know where to start learning how it's put together? Are you an independent contractor working with SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, or Access? Your clients would LOVE you if you could provide comprehensive documentation about the databases you build. Are you a Project Manager who is tired of developers making chan...

Hi all I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris server, the IP address and box name will be changed. Oracle version is 8.1.7 and O/S is 5.8 on both servers ( just different O/S patch). Does any one know what I need to do in order to get oracle up and running again on the new server. I know that I will need to change the tnsnames.ora and listner.ora, but is there anything else that I need to do? Thanks Teresa Teresa wrote: > Hi all > > I will be moving oracle from one Solaris server into another Solaris > server, the IP address and box name will...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services,
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit ...

[...]

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13...

I am wondering if we can install this Server on Windows 2003 Server without any problems. Is there anybody that did that before? Thanks in advance if someone know the answer. Yvon Bouchard, B. Sc. Computer Science Teacher http://info.cegepat.qc.ca/siteyvon I've installed it on windows 2003 enterprise ed. about 1 month ago without any problem. I've installed the version 9.2.0.1 with the patch to 9.2.0.3. 9.2.0.3 is the only version certified by oracle for win 2003. Ciao "Yvon Bouchard" <yvon.bouchard@cablevision.qc.ca> ha scritto nel messaggio n...

I would like to know if someone could help me with this topic, I'm traying to analize and chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show you what's there. If you did not use oPatch, then I have no clue. ;-) BD wrote: > >chek which Oracle Patches are appplied to an Oracle DataBase Server > > If they were applied with oPatch, then "opatch lsinventory" should show > you what's ther...

Oracle-to-SQL Server database link
Is anyone working with databases on both Oracle and SQL Server and using an Oracle database link to successfully query a SQL Server database? The Oracle database is running under AIX. It looks like the Oracle is working fine - database link is established - but the response to querying the SQL Server database is ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed This appears to me to be possibly a situation where the SQL Server is not 'trusting' the Oracle machine to query its database. I have checked to make sure that the port numbers on both sides are the same (when differnet, the er...

SQL Server performs a Query on an Oracle database
Hi, To start our warehouse proces we perform a Select with our ETL tool PowerMart on an Oracle database. This Select fetches 300000 recors within 3 minutes in a table during day time However; when we perform this operation at night when this Oracle database has just processed it's records it lasts an hour or more. The select is done to a linked server in uppercase like is adviced to do according to Books on Line and is a correct Select. Has anyone any idea what might be the case. It's probably a problem on the oracle side of our system but I hope somebody of you can give u...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to s...

Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table
I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be able to use the following query: UPDATE server..user.table SET OraField1 = 'I' WHERE OraField1 = 'A' AND OraField2 IN ( SELECT SQLfield2 FROM SQLTable WHERE SQLField1 = 1 ) However, when I do this, I get an error saying tha...

Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Folks, I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your collective wisdom: Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE database on a different host? What tools would one need in order to accomplish the above? Regards Paul Christidis * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Hi Paul, take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. http://...

Exporting MS SQL Server or Oracle Databases to MySQL
I also posted similarly in mailing.database.mysql I have created a rather large (60 table database) website dealio in PHP that works with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and presumably any other data base I add to the wrapper functions that I created. All the development was done in Oracle, but now its time to create that large datastructure again in MySQL -- now I've built this all in notepad for Oracle (twice) and built it in SQL Server using the SQL Server import tools (pretty nice) -- is there anything that I can do that to get this datastructure and maybe even the data into MySQL using...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, w...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do k...

Database Wars: Oracle vs SQL Server Lock Escalation
I was at a conference and had it asserted to me by an Oracle afficiando that Oracle and DB2 handled low-level locks "better" than SQL Server, and that this was likely the cause of SQL Server's relatively slower and more deadlock-prone performance when running the same application. (SQL does seem to perform more poorly for this app, a PeopleSoft customer service and billing app.) Is there any significant difference in lock escalation strategies between major databases, and if so, what are the implications? Jeff Roughgarden, MSCD, MCDBA I'm surprised that Oracle dude had a g...

US-PA: Philadelphia-Oracle/SQL Server Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is a regional job board serving all industries and occupations in the PA, NJ, DE, NY, MD, and DC areas. We offer a regional job board, online learning, and regional job fair events for jobseekers who live in our areas of focus. To Learn More: Job Board: http://www.JobCircle.com?source=ng eLearning: http://www.JobCircle.com/courseware?source=ng Job Fairs: http://JobCircleJobFairs.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle/S...

> -----Original Message----- > From: Paul H. Christidis [mailto:phchristidis@raytheon.com] > Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 5:39 PM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K > > > Folks, > > I was asked the following question today and decided to turn > to your collective wisdom: > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to > connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his > input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE > database on a differ...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > &...

from sql server to oracle to ANOTHER oracle
I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. I try to write something like SELECT * FROM LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 but it does not work questions 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? 2) if so, how ? thank you! On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > I have to write a query from ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Web resources about - sql command to list all databases in the oracle server - comp.databases.oracle.server

Oracle: Fear Not, ’12c’ Database Nearing Its Breakout, Says Credit Suisse
... from cloud computing applications in 2016, along with the adoption by customers of the its “ 12c ” version of its flagship relational database ...

A look ahead at the state of the database in 2016
... identity management, anti-phishing education, and so forth. Ultimately, hackers want access to the contents of an enterprise's database. Security ...

NFL mock draft database 2016: Tracking Giants picks from around the Internet
Let's keep track of mock drafts from around the Internet as the 2016 NFL Draft approaches. Can we find a consensus for the New York Giants?

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

Consumer Group Sues DOT For Failure To Create Searchable Database Of Safety Defects
... about safety defects. One safety group says this hasn’t happened, and is suing DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx in an effort to make this database ...

TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers
TSA Will Finally Be Given Access To Counterterrorism Database To Screen Airport Workers