String concatenation in group by?

Hi,

I'm wondering if its possible to perform concatenation of strings in
"group by".  I'm still using Oracle 9.2, so I cannot take advantage
10g's new "collect" aggregrate function.

Here is an example table, tab_example:

ID    Name
---    -----------
1     Hello
1     World

My desired query result:
ID    Concatenated_Name
---    ------------------------------
1     Hello World

Thanks a lot.

comp.databases.oracle.server 22379 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"Tao" <gordon.t.wu@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1178028983.392635.62470@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
| Hi,
|
| I'm wondering if its possible to perform concatenation of strings in
| "group by".  I'm still using Oracle 9.2, so I cannot take advantage
| 10g's new "collect" aggregrate function.
|
| Here is an example table, tab_example:
|
| ID    Name
| ---    -----------
| 1     Hello
| 1     World
|
| My desired query result:
| ID    Concatenated_Name
| ---    ------------------------------
| 1     Hello World
|

| Thanks a lot.

I wonder why people always think they are the first one to ask for a question. <g>

I just put "oracle string aggregation" in Google and the first item returned
 (http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/StringAggregationTechniques.php)
gives 5 ways to do it.

Regards
Micel Cadot

0
Michel
5/1/2007 2:57:01 PM
Micel,

I believe I've mentioned that I'm still using Oracle 9.2 so 10g's
"collect" function is of no use to me.
Yes I understand any string manipulation can be done using PL/SQL
functions, thanks.

83.392635.62...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

"Tao" <gordon.t.wu@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1178031718.880006.168270@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
Micel,

I believe I've mentioned that I'm still using Oracle 9.2 so 10g's
"collect" function is of no use to me.
Yes I understand any string manipulation can be done using PL/SQL
functions, thanks.

---------------------------------

"collect" is just the last explained way, there 4 others available in 9.2
and one does not use PL/SQL.

Regards
Michel Cadot

0
Michel
5/1/2007 3:10:26 PM
Sorry mother.
So out of 5 ways, the 4th one might apply in my case.  What makes you
think I have no right to ask for ppl's opinion if there is a easier
way that I didn't see?  That offended you so much didn't it.

18.880006.168...@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Micel,
>
> I believe I've mentioned that I'm still using Oracle 9.2 so 10g's
> "collect" function is of no use to me.
> Yes I understand any string manipulation can be done using PL/SQL
> functions, thanks.
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> "collect" is just the last explained way, there 4 others available in 9.2
> and one does not use PL/SQL.
>
> Regards
> Michel Cadot

Comments embedded.
On May 1, 10:01 am, Tao <gordon.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Micel,
>
> I believe I've mentioned that I'm still using Oracle 9.2 so 10g's
> "collect" function is of no use to me.

So be intelligent enough to not consider that 'option' and proceed on
to the other four.

> Yes I understand any string manipulation can be done using PL/SQL
> functions, thanks.

And, yet, there is a non-PL/SQL option available you apparently choose
to overlook.  Instead of disparaging suggestions made to you why not
accept them graciously and evaluate them on their merits?

> On May 1, 10:57 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
>

> > "Tao" <gordon.t...@gmail.com> a =E9crit dans le message de news: 117802=
8983.392635.62...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> > | Hi,
> > |
> > | I'm wondering if its possible to perform concatenation of strings in
> > | "group by".  I'm still using Oracle 9.2, so I cannot take advantage
> > | 10g's new "collect" aggregrate function.
> > |
> > | Here is an example table, tab_example:
> > |
> > | ID    Name
> > | ---    -----------
> > | 1     Hello
> > | 1     World
> > |
> > | My desired query result:
> > | ID    Concatenated_Name
> > | ---    ------------------------------
> > | 1     Hello World
> > |

> > | Thanks a lot.
> > |

> > I wonder why people always think they are the first one to ask for a qu=
estion. <g>

> > I just put "oracle string aggregation" in Google and the first item ret=
urned
> >  (http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/StringAggregationTechniques.p=
hp)
> > gives 5 ways to do it.
>
> > Regards
> > Micel Cadot- Hide quoted text -

David Fitzjarrell

0
fitzjarrell (2006)
5/1/2007 3:57:40 PM
On May 1, 10:28 am, Tao <gordon.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry mother.
> So out of 5 ways, the 4th one might apply in my case.  What makes you
> think I have no right to ask for ppl's opinion if there is a easier
> way that I didn't see?  That offended you so much didn't it.
>
> On May 1, 11:10 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
>

> > "Tao" <gordon.t...@gmail.com> a =E9crit dans le message de news: 117803=
1718.880006.168...@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> > Micel,
>
> > I believe I've mentioned that I'm still using Oracle 9.2 so 10g's
> > "collect" function is of no use to me.
> > Yes I understand any string manipulation can be done using PL/SQL
> > functions, thanks.
>
> > ---------------------------------
>
> > "collect" is just the last explained way, there 4 others available in 9=
..2
> > and one does not use PL/SQL.
>
> > Regards
> > Michel Cadot- Hide quoted text -

What makes you think Michel, or anyone here, thinks that?  Are your
sensibilities so fragile that any comment, no matter the nature, is an
attack on you?  The response you received from Michel provided the
requested  information, and did so with a bit of humour.  It is a
shame  you can't recognize good natured wordplay when it is  presented
to you.

David Fitzjarrell

0
fitzjarrell (2006)
5/1/2007 4:01:02 PM
On May 1, 3:16 pm, Tao <gordon.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if its possible to perform concatenation of strings in
> "group by".  I'm still using Oracle 9.2, so I cannot take advantage
> 10g's new "collect" aggregrate function.
>
> Here is an example table, tab_example:
>
> ID    Name
> ---    -----------
> 1     Hello
> 1     World
>
> My desired query result:
> ID    Concatenated_Name
> ---    ------------------------------
> 1     Hello World
>
> Thanks a lot.

http://www.williamrobertson.net/documents/one_row.html

0
williamr2019 (119)
5/2/2007 9:02:02 AM
On May 1, 12:01 pm, "fitzjarr...@cox.net" <fitzjarr...@cox.net> wrote:
> On May 1, 10:28 am, Tao <gordon.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Sorry mother.
> > So out of 5 ways, the 4th one might apply in my case.  What makes you
> > think I have no right to ask for ppl's opinion if there is a easier
> > way that I didn't see?  That offended you so much didn't it.
>
> > On May 1, 11:10 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
>
> > > "Tao" <gordon.t...@gmail.com> a =E9crit dans le message de news: 1178=
031718.880006.168...@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> > > Micel,
>
> > > I believe I've mentioned that I'm still using Oracle 9.2 so 10g's
> > > "collect" function is of no use to me.
> > > Yes I understand any string manipulation can be done using PL/SQL
> > > functions, thanks.
>
> > > ---------------------------------
>
> > > "collect" is just the last explained way, there 4 others available in=
 9.2
> > > and one does not use PL/SQL.
>
> > > Regards
> > > Michel Cadot- Hide quoted text -

> What makes you think Michel, or anyone here, thinks that?  Are your
> sensibilities so fragile that any comment, no matter the nature, is an
> attack on you?  The response you received from Michel provided the
> requested  information, and did so with a bit of humour.  It is a
> shame  you can't recognize good natured wordplay when it is  presented
> to you.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Because the word he was using "is" harsh?
Maybe Tao over-looked an solution.  But what these forums are for?
That that gives Michel and you the right to bash him?

On May 1, 10:57 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
> "Tao" <gordon.t...@gmail.com> a =E9crit dans le message de news: 11780289=
83.392635.62...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> | Hi,
> |
> | I'm wondering if its possible to perform concatenation of strings in
> | "group by".  I'm still using Oracle 9.2, so I cannot take advantage
> | 10g's new "collect"aggregratefunction.
> |
> | Here is an example table, tab_example:
> |
> | ID    Name
> | ---    -----------
> | 1     Hello
> | 1     World
> |
> | My desired query result:
> | ID    Concatenated_Name
> | ---    ------------------------------
> | 1     Hello World
> |

> | Thanks a lot.
> |

> I wonder why people always think they are the first one to ask for a ques=
tion. <g>

> I just put "oracle string aggregation" in Google and the first item retur=
ned
>  (http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/StringAggregationTechniques.php)
> gives 5 ways to do it.
>
> Regards
> Micel Cadot

Well when you already know the solution, its easy to find it.  For
people who do not already know, its not so easy for them to put the
right key words in google.  Apparently he did search for solutions
before coming here, which is exactly what this group is for.  No
reason to insult people while providing an answer.

<gordon_t_wu@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1178210236.450528.155040@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
On May 1, 10:57 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
> "Tao" <gordon.t...@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1178028983.392635.62...@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> | Hi,
> |
> | I'm wondering if its possible to perform concatenation of strings in
> | "group by".  I'm still using Oracle 9.2, so I cannot take advantage
> | 10g's new "collect"aggregratefunction.
> |
> | Here is an example table, tab_example:
> |
> | ID    Name
> | ---    -----------
> | 1     Hello
> | 1     World
> |
> | My desired query result:
> | ID    Concatenated_Name
> | ---    ------------------------------
> | 1     Hello World
> |

> | Thanks a lot.
> |

> I wonder why people always think they are the first one to ask for a question. <g>
>
> I just put "oracle string aggregation" in Google and the first item returned
>  (http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/StringAggregationTechniques.php)
> gives 5 ways to do it.
>
> Regards
> Micel Cadot

Well when you already know the solution, its easy to find it.  For
people who do not already know, its not so easy for them to put the
right key words in google.  Apparently he did search for solutions
before coming here, which is exactly what this group is for.  No
reason to insult people while providing an answer.

I don't see any clue he searched hard as he only got a way.
I only used the words he used:
Oracle is this not Oracle he is working with
"string aggregation", well the subject is "string concatenation in group by"
so "group by" means aggregation, of what... of strings.
So it is clearly obvious to use "oracle string aggregation", or at least
to try it.

Btw, your and his email are the same ones, don't you are the same person?
Is it in your way to talk about you at the third person?

Regards
Michel Cadot

0
Michel
5/3/2007 5:05:08 PM
<gordon_t_wu@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1178209991.303094.297830@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
On May 1, 12:01 pm, "fitzjarr...@cox.net" <fitzjarr...@cox.net> wrote:
> On May 1, 10:28 am, Tao <gordon.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Sorry mother.
> > So out of 5 ways, the 4th one might apply in my case.  What makes you
> > think I have no right to ask for ppl's opinion if there is a easier
> > way that I didn't see?  That offended you so much didn't it.
>
> > On May 1, 11:10 am, "Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote:
>
> > > "Tao" <gordon.t...@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1178031718.880006.168...@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> > > Micel,
>
> > > I believe I've mentioned that I'm still using Oracle 9.2 so 10g's
> > > "collect" function is of no use to me.
> > > Yes I understand any string manipulation can be done using PL/SQL
> > > functions, thanks.
>
> > > ---------------------------------
>
> > > "collect" is just the last explained way, there 4 others available in 9.2
> > > and one does not use PL/SQL.
>
> > > Regards
> > > Michel Cadot- Hide quoted text -

> What makes you think Michel, or anyone here, thinks that?  Are your
> sensibilities so fragile that any comment, no matter the nature, is an
> attack on you?  The response you received from Michel provided the
> requested  information, and did so with a bit of humour.  It is a
> shame  you can't recognize good natured wordplay when it is  presented
> to you.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Because the word he was using "is" harsh?
Maybe Tao over-looked an solution.  But what these forums are for?
That that gives Michel and you the right to bash him?

--------------------------------

How does it come that your's and Tao's email are the same ones?

Regards
Michel Cadot

0
Michel

Oracle databases on a server

SqlSpec

username and password on Oracle connection string (jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase)
Hi, Can an Oracle JDBC connection string take a username and password? The plain version of an Oracle connection string is jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase If it's possible to add username/password to that string, what is the prorper syntax? Thanks for your help. Wolfgang. Wolfgang wrote: > > Can an Oracle JDBC connection string take a username and password? > The plain version of an Oracle connection string is > jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase > > If it's possible to add username/password to that string, what is the > p...

username and password on Oracle connection string (jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase)
Hi, Can an Oracle JDBC connection string take a username and password? The plain version of an Oracle connection string is username and password on Oracle connection string jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase If it's possible to add username/password to that string, what is the prorper syntax? Thanks for your help. Wolfgang. "Wolfgang" <Mott@nospam.UNM.edu> wrote in message news:3f8330a6.24586984@nntp.ucsb.edu... > Hi, > > Can an Oracle JDBC connection string take a username and password? > The plain version of an Oracle connection string is username and > password on Oracle connection string > jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:Port:dataBase > > If it's possible to add username/password to that string, what is the > prorper syntax? Try to use: jdbc:oracle:thin:username/password@host:Port:dataBase > > Thanks for your help. > > Wolfgang. -- WBR, Andrey Vakhnin Try: DriverManager.getConnection ("jdbc:oracle:thin:@" + dbmsHost + ":" + dbmsPortNumber + ":" + dbmsName, userName, passWord); Frank. "Wolfgang" <Mott@nospam.UNM.edu> wrote in message news:3f8330a6.24586984@nntp.ucsb.edu... > Hi, > > Can an Oracle JDBC connection string take a username and password? > The plain version of an Oracle connection string is username and > password on Oracle connection string > jdbc:oracle:thin:@hos...

string concatenation via Group By
Is it possible to concatenate records in a field via Group By clause of an SQL statement? Untested script is : create table t1(country varchar2(32), state varchar2(32), city varchar2 (32)) ; insert into t1 values ('USA', 'CA', 'Sacramento') ; insert into t1 values ('USA', 'CA', 'San Jose') ; insert into t1 values ('USA', 'CA', 'three') ; insert into t1 values ('USA', 'CA', 'four') ; insert into t1 values ('USA', 'CA', 'Fremont') ; insert into t1 values ('Can...

concatenate strings/dates in groups
Hi Group, Anyone know how to concatenate all the distinct 'dates' in groups of id +sampleid to form the new variable "dates"? data test; input id sampleid date date9. ; cards; 1 1 30Sep2008 1 1 11Oct2008 1 1 13Oct2008 1 2 29Sep2008 1 2 09Oct2008 1 2 10Oct2008 ; The result I want is: id sampleid date dates 1 1 17805 17805,17816,17818 1 1 17816 17805,17816,17818 1 1 17818 17805,17816,17818 1 2 17804 17804,17814,17815 1 2 17814 17804,17814,17815 1 2 17815 17804,17814,17815 The numbers in 'date' and 'dates' corresponds to date in "test". Thanks a lot, Haley ...

snap servers and suitability for oracle databases
hi I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting conflicting messages with regards to its suitability for providing oracle storage. I'd have another machine with the oracle installation connecting to the storage either iscsi or nfs . Has anyone used any of the snap range for oracle databases ? I don't need super high perfornance, just a decent environment for development. Elaine On 4 Jan 2006 04:23:16 -0800, cmappy@hotmail.com wrote: >hi >I'm looking at purchasing a snap server 18000, but i'm getting >conflicting messages with ...

Sun server with Oracle Database crashed
Hi All, My Sun server which is running Oracle database 10.2.0.3.0 got hung and the server had also crashed. The /DBATSTDB01/oracle mount point which is mounted on slice c1t0d0s3 is 100%. It is reflecting /var/adm/messages: Aug 31 15:40:43 blrtstdba02 ufs: [ID 845546 kern.notice] NOTICE: alloc: /DBATSTDB01/oracle: file system full The root slice " / " is occupied 82 %. After the crash, although the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is 100% full, the system hasn't hung so far. Is the /DBATSTDB01/oracle slice is causing the system to hang or should I check for hardware issues? Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% / /devices 0 0 0 0% /devices ctfs 0 0 0 0% /system/ contract proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab swap 2547944 1088 2546856 1% /etc/svc/ volatile objfs 0 0 0 0% /system/object /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1 /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 11093692 9000920 1981836 82% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so. 1 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s5 6050982 1646347 4344126 28% /var swap 2554304 7448 254685...

install oracle database server at home
Hi I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers B. Baz wrote: > Hi > > I am thinking of setting up an oracle database on my home computer - > possibly Oracle 9i. I am wondering what spec (in terms of RAM > especially) I would need. Any assistance would be appreciated. > > Cheers > B. Practical minimums: - Pentium 600 - 512M Ram - 5G free disk - NOT Windows "Home" edition (XP Home, ME ...) - Prefer Linux or perhaps Windows 2000 Pro, XP Pro It is theoretically possible to go dn to 256M RAM but that becomes more an exercise in frustration. /Hans ...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

Re: concatenate strings/dates in groups
data test; input id sampleid date date9. ; cards; 1 1 30Sep2008 1 1 11Oct2008 1 1 13Oct2008 1 2 29Sep2008 1 2 09Oct2008 1 2 10Oct2008 ; Run ; Data Need ( Drop = I K ) ; Length Dates $ 200 ; Do I = 1 By 1 Until( Last.SampleID ) ; Set Test ; By ID SampleID ; If ( Index( Put( Date , Date9. ) , Dates ) = 0 ) Then Dates = CatX( ',' , Dates , Put( Date , Date9. ) ) ; End ; Do K = 1 By 1 Until( Last.SampleID ) ; Set Test ; By ID SampleID ; Output ; End ; Run ; Proc Print Data = Need ; Run ; On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:18:27 -0700, haoyugu@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Hi Group, >Anyone know how to concatenate all the distinct 'dates' in groups of id >+sampleid to form the new variable "dates"? > >data test; > input id sampleid date date9. ; > cards; > 1 1 30Sep2008 > 1 1 11Oct2008 > 1 1 13Oct2008 > 1 2 29Sep2008 > 1 2 09Oct2008 > 1 2 10Oct2008 > ; > >The result I want is: > id sampleid date dates > 1 1 17805 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17816 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17818 17805,17816,17818 > 1 2 17804 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17814 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17815 17804,17814,17815 > >The numbers in 'date' and 'dates' corresponds to date in "test". >Thanks a lot, > >Haley ...

Re: concatenate strings/dates in groups #4
Well maybe.... data test; input id sampleid date:date9.; format date date9.; cards; 1 1 30Sep2008 1 1 11Oct2008 1 1 13Oct2008 1 2 29Sep2008 1 2 09Oct2008 1 2 10Oct2008 ;;;; run; proc transpose out=test2(drop=_name_) prefix=date_; by id sampleid; var date date date; copy date; run; data test2; set test2; length dates $30; dates = catx(',', of date_:); run; Proc print; run; On 10/28/08, haoyugu@gmail.com <haoyugu@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Group, > Anyone know how to concatenate all the distinct 'dates' in groups of id > +sampleid to form the new variable "dates"? > > data test; > input id sampleid date date9. ; > cards; > 1 1 30Sep2008 > 1 1 11Oct2008 > 1 1 13Oct2008 > 1 2 29Sep2008 > 1 2 09Oct2008 > 1 2 10Oct2008 > ; > > The result I want is: > id sampleid date dates > 1 1 17805 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17816 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17818 17805,17816,17818 > 1 2 17804 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17814 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17815 17804,17814,17815 > > The numbers in 'date' and 'dates' corresponds to date in "test". > Thanks a lot, > > Haley > ...

Re: concatenate strings/dates in groups #6
I knew that someone would post a solution using a HoWDy Do. I wasn't really interested in the problem or the solution. I was just fiddling with the the COPY statement. I find your use of irrelevant counters "I K" to be somewhat disquieting. On 10/28/08, Toby Dunn <tobydunn@hotmail.com> wrote: > Data _Null_, > > The only problem I have with the transpose method is that it will not > yeild distinct date values in the Dates variable. Which is what I believe > was originally asked for, unless I missunderstood the requestor. To do so > would require at the minimum a sort nodup key and then a transpose. Its > one extra pass of the data that isnt neccessary. > > On the other hand what was ask is a bad idea to begin with as non atomic > values are just a bad thingy all together. > > Toby Dunn > > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:35:29 -0500, ./ ADD NAME=Data _null_, > <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >Well maybe.... > > > >data test; > > input id sampleid date:date9.; > > format date date9.; > > cards; > > 1 1 30Sep2008 > > 1 1 11Oct2008 > > 1 1 13Oct2008 > > 1 2 29Sep2008 > > 1 2 09Oct2008 > > 1 2 10Oct2008 > >;;;; > > run; > >proc transpose out=test2(drop=_name_) prefix=date_; > > by id sampleid; > > var date date date; > > copy date; > > run; > >data test2; > > set test2;...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

Strange Network Error on Oracle Database Server
Hi Oracle Gurus, We are experiencing a strange Oracle database server(Windows 2003) behaviour When we try to start Oracle database from services -- It does not start the database and in Oradim.log we see following error -- ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error and in sqlnet.ora -- Fatal NI connect error 12560, connecting to: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=oracle)(ARGV0=oracleORCL)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=ORCL)(CID=(PROGRAM=C:\oracle\ora90\bin\oradim.exe)(HOST=host02)(USER=SYSTEM)))) However, If I try to manually start the database by login in as sys, it gets started. I have already tried following (a) Recreate the service using Oradim.exe (b) Removed sqlnet.ora file from C:\Oracle\Ora90\network\ADMIN What can be the possible reason(s) for this. Thanks If you can connect to the database instance, even if it is "idle", the service must have started. Without the service having started, you cannot connect via sqlplus.exe even on the server console (on win32). Perhaps it is taking a relatively long time for the database instance to be completely open - and the error message that you show above is a timed out connection attempt? Is the ORACLE_SID of interest "ORCL"? When you re-created the OS Service, did you set the startmode to auto or manual? Is there an init.ora in the %ORACLE_HOME%\database folder that has an IFILE entry to the real parameter file? Is the service owned by a...

Re: concatenate strings/dates in groups #2
You could use a proc transpose: data test; input id sampleid date date9. ; cards; 1 1 30Sep2008 1 1 11Oct2008 1 1 13Oct2008 1 2 29Sep2008 1 2 09Oct2008 1 2 10Oct2008 ; run; proc transpose data=test out=test_trans; by id sampleid; var date; run; data want; merge test(in=a) test_trans(in=b); by id sampleid; drop _name_; rename col1=date1 col2=date2 col3=date3 ; run; -Joe On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:18 AM, <haoyugu@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Group, > Anyone know how to concatenate all the distinct 'dates' in groups of id > +sampleid to form the new variable "dates"? > > data test; > input id sampleid date date9. ; > cards; > 1 1 30Sep2008 > 1 1 11Oct2008 > 1 1 13Oct2008 > 1 2 29Sep2008 > 1 2 09Oct2008 > 1 2 10Oct2008 > ; > > The result I want is: > id sampleid date dates > 1 1 17805 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17816 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17818 17805,17816,17818 > 1 2 17804 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17814 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17815 17804,17814,17815 > > The numbers in 'date' and 'dates' corresponds to date in "test". > Thanks a lot, > > Haley > ...

Re: concatenate strings/dates in groups #8
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:18:27 -0700, haoyugu@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Hi Group, >Anyone know how to concatenate all the distinct 'dates' in groups of id >+sampleid to form the new variable "dates"? > >data test; > input id sampleid date date9. ; > cards; > 1 1 30Sep2008 > 1 1 11Oct2008 > 1 1 13Oct2008 > 1 2 29Sep2008 > 1 2 09Oct2008 > 1 2 10Oct2008 > ; > >The result I want is: > id sampleid date dates > 1 1 17805 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17816 17805,17816,17818 > 1 1 17818 17805,17816,17818 > 1 2 17804 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17814 17804,17814,17815 > 1 2 17815 17804,17814,17815 > >The numbers in 'date' and 'dates' corresponds to date in "test". >Thanks a lot, > >Haley I would use something along these lines: data want; set test(in = firstpass) test; by id sampleid; length dates $ 100; retain dates; if first.sampleid then call missing(dates); if firstpass then dates = catx(',' , dates, date); else output; run; The limitation is that you have to hard-code an upper bound for the length of DATES. ...

Re: concatenate strings/dates in groups #5
I was just playing around. You probably want to use Toby's HoWDy Do. But the missing option and the missing function can make this more general. See modified example below. data test; input id sampleid date:date9.; format date date9.; cards; 1 1 30Sep2008 1 1 11Oct2008 1 1 13Oct2008 1 2 29Sep2008 1 2 09Oct2008 1 2 10Oct2008 1 2 15Oct2008 ;;;; run; proc transpose out=test2(drop=_name_ where=(not missing(date))) prefix=date_; by id sampleid; var date date date date date date date; copy date; run; options missing=' '; data test2; set test2; length dates $30; dates = catx(',', of date_:); run; Proc print; run; On 10/28/08, Haley H. Gu <haoyugu@gmail.com> wrote: > Thank you very much. > The number of observations for each id+sampleid group may be > different, for example, if the data test is: > data test; > input id sampleid date date9. ; > cards; > 1 1 30Sep2008 > 1 1 11Oct2008 > 1 1 13Oct2008 > 1 2 29Sep2008 > 1 2 09Oct2008 > 1 2 10Oct2008 > 1 2 14Oct2008 > ; > run; > If using your codes, the the resulting "dates" is: > 17805,17816,17818,. > 17804,17814,17815,17819 > where dates for id=1 sampleid=1 have missing values concatenated also. > Do you know how to avoid it? > > Thanks again. > > Haley > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM, ./ ADD NAME=Data _null_, > <iebupdte@gmail.com> wrote: > ...

Web resources about - String concatenation in group by? - comp.databases.oracle.server

Concatenation (mathematics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... the above definition for numbers. The further extension to matrices is trivial. Since vectors can be viewed in a certain way as lists , concatenation ...

Hang Up and Listen: The Flaccid Hagiographic Concatenation Edition
Listen to Hang Up and Listen with Stefan Fatsis, Josh Levin, and Mike Pesca by clicking the arrow on the audio player below:

Concatenation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In formal language theory and computer programming , string concatenation is the operation of joining two character strings end-to-end . For ...