switching to standby in dataguard config

I have a primary and standby database ( oracle enterprise 12.1.0.1.0 0 on w=
indows 2012 r2

I want to know the easiest procedure to follow if and when

1) we lost the primary=20
2) we need to make the standby the primary

This is an active\passive config & we don't use any other products eg datab=
roker etc

regards
Chris B

PS My current doc is as follows but is old and hasn't been tested

1.            select switchover_status  from v$database
     if <> =E2=80=98sessions active =E2=80=98 then
   alter database commit to switchover to primary =20
    else=20
     alter database commit to switchover to primary  with session shutdown;

2.  shutdown immediate;
      Startup;

0
chris

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 07:28:18 -0800, chris.brown wrote:

> I have a primary and standby database ( oracle enterprise 12.1.0.1.0 0
> on windows 2012 r2
>
> I want to know the easiest procedure to follow if and when
>
> 1) we lost the primary 2) we need to make the standby the primary
>
> This is an active\passive config & we don't use any other products eg
> databroker etc
>

> regards Chris B
>
> PS My current doc is as follows but is old and hasn't been tested
>
> 1.            select switchover_status  from v$database
>      if <> ‘sessions active ‘ then
>    alter database commit to switchover to primary
>     else
>      alter database commit to switchover to primary  with session
>      shutdown;
>
> 2.  shutdown immediate;
>       Startup;

You should be using DG broker. It's very simple and useful. That's about
it.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer