Technical differences Oracle 9i vs. Oracle 10g

Completing a brief study for our systems.

What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is
there a list some out there somewhere?

Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and
communicate?

Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i?

0
rconnell (2)

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm

> Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network?

Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x,
5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus
Notes, IIS, Photo Shop, .....  (see a principle developing here?)

>and communicate?

with each other?  Yes.  I've never known two 'adjacent versions' of
Oracle not be able to communicate with each other.

> Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i?

MetaLink --> Certify --> Desupport Notices

0
quetico_man (523)
4/5/2006 1:32:07 PM
> What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is
> there a list some out there somewhere?

The following document lists the new features in 10g that are not
available in 9i:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm

> Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and
> communicate?

Yes. They can even coexist on the same server.

> Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i?

The latest and greatest version of 9i is 9.2.0.7. The 9.2.0.8 patchset
is slated to be the terminal patchset for 9i. According to Metalink Note
190435.1, Error Correction Support for 9.2 will end 1 July 2007.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba@nospam.peasland.net
http://www.peasland.net

oracle_dba (182)
4/5/2006 1:51:25 PM
EdStevens wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network?
>
> Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x,
> 5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus

I recall V5 did not have networking yet? Or am I mistaken it for V4?

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
Frank van Bortel wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > Bob wrote:
> >
> >> Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network?
> >
> > Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x,
> > 5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus
>
> I recall V5 did not have networking yet? Or am I mistaken it for V4?

Possibly.  But that wouldn't preclude it from simply "existing" on the
network, nor would it preclude it from co-existing with anything else
that happend to live on the network.  Hence, my reference to
non-Oralcle database products, and even non-database products.  It
would be an astoundingly poor product that would give a flying fig what
other products may happen to be 'on the network.'

Though I have seen some MS products that came close!  ;-)

0
quetico_man (523)
4/5/2006 6:37:47 PM
EdStevens schreef:

> Frank van Bortel wrote:
> > EdStevens wrote:

> > > Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x,
> > > 5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus
> >
> > I recall V5 did not have networking yet? Or am I mistaken it for V4?
> >
> Possibly.  But that wouldn't preclude it from simply "existing" on the
> network, nor would it preclude it from co-existing with anything else
> that happend to live on the network.  Hence, my reference to
> non-Oralcle database products, and even non-database products.  It
> would be an astoundingly poor product that would give a flying fig what
> other products may happen to be 'on the network.'
>
> Though I have seen some MS products that came close!  ;-)

But those are not networking products. WordPerfect is not a networked
product, whereas
a 2-tier or 3-tier prodcut *is*. WP is not, as Oracle V5 was not.

But to the OP: rest assured: even TCP and UDP packets fly around on the
same network without problems (most of the time)