understanding oracle terminology - instance, database, sid, schema

hi, I'm an open source developer who has been cast into the wide wide
world of Oracle. As a former MySQL user mainly (no boos please :),
there is a lot of Oracle terminology that I dont understand.

Specifically:
- instance
- database (it appears that a single host and port can have several
databases)
- sid
- schema (it appears that a single database can have several schemas
and that a schema is a collection of tables, views, triggers, etc)
- user (it appears that a user can have access to various schemas and
various permissions within schemas... contrast with MySQL where there
are only databases)

Beyond definitions for the above, my goal is to ask: how do you
uniquely identify a schema? We are running both 10g and 11g here and
so we cannot truly refer to a schema by the name alone without
qualifying it with the database. But since the word "instance" is
being thrown around here as well, I have to wonder what is meant by
that also.

Thanks,
Terrence

On Jun 24, 11:24=A0am, The Quiet Center <thequietcen...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> there is a lot of Oracle terminology that I dont understand.

> Specifically:
> - instance

Found it - http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Database_Concepts_and_Architecture
An instance can mount and open one and only one database.

0
The
6/24/2010 3:28:29 PM
wrote:
> hi, I'm an open source developer who has been cast into the wide wide
> world of Oracle. As a former MySQL user mainly (no boos please :),
> there is a lot of Oracle terminology that I dont understand.
>
> Specifically:
> - instance
> - database (it appears that a single host and port can have several
> databases)
> - sid
> - schema (it appears that a single database can have several schemas
> and that a schema is a collection of tables, views, triggers, etc)
> - user (it appears that a user can have access to various schemas and
> various permissions within schemas... contrast with MySQL where there
> are only databases)
>
> Beyond definitions for the above, my goal is to ask: how do you
> uniquely identify a schema? We are running both 10g and 11g here and
> so we cannot truly refer to a schema by the name alone without
> qualifying it with the database. But since the word "instance" is
> being thrown around here as well, I have to wonder what is meant by
> that also.
>
> Thanks,
> Terrence

A handy conversion chart:

MySQL       ORACLE     Notes
instance      instance/     An oracle database is simply the processes
and memory structures running on the machine, Oracle can have more
                  database     than one database instance running on
the same machine or from the same Oracle home/version.  This is also
true for
                                    MySQL as we have both as long as
you're on a different port and socket. I've had 4 different MySQL
instances running
                                    on the same machine.
database     schema      A collection of related tables/views etc.
                  sid             A unique identifier of an instance/
database on a server DEMO and DEMO10G would be valid names for 2
different
                                   instances.  You can emulate this in
MySQL by having aliases that will connect to different MySQL instances
running on
                                   different sockets and ports
user            user           a user can have access to various
schemas and various permissions within schemas in oracle.  In MySQL a
user can
                                   have access to various databases
and various permissions.

I hope that helps.

Roger Gorden

On Jun 24, 8:28=A0am, The Quiet Center <thequietcen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 11:24=A0am, The Quiet Center <thequietcen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > there is a lot of Oracle terminology that I dont understand.
> > Specifically:
> > - instance
>
> Found it -http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Database_Concepts_and_Architecture
> An instance can mount and open one and only one database.

The database concepts manual is required reading first.  After that,
check out books by Tom Kyte, he is good at relating concepts you
already know to their Oracle equivalents.  He also rewrote the
concepts manual for 11g, btw.

Over the years, I've noticed the most important thing for developers
coming from other dbms's is to understand Oracle's locking and
concurrency model.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.development.system/msg/30ff122=
On Jun 24, 11:53=A0am, joel garry <joel-ga...@home.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 8:28=A0am, The Quiet Center <thequietcen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 24, 11:24=A0am, The Quiet Center <thequietcen...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > there is a lot of Oracle terminology that I dont understand.
> > > Specifically:
> > > - instance
>
> > Found it -http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Database_Concepts_and_Architecture
> > An instance can mount and open one and only one database.
>
> The database concepts manual is required reading first. =A0After that,
> check out books by Tom Kyte, he is good at relating concepts you
> already know to their Oracle equivalents. =A0He also rewrote the
> concepts manual for 11g, btw.
>
> Over the years, I've noticed the most important thing for developers
> coming from other dbms's is to understand Oracle's locking and
> concurrency model.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.developme=
nt.system/msg/3...

I've also seen that developers coming from other rdbms's should
understand is Oracle's Sequence, rather than "MAX(id) + 1" for
inserts.

Roger Gorden
0
rogergorden
6/24/2010 4:07:06 PM
On Jun 24, 5:24=A0pm, The Quiet Center <thequietcen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, I'm an open source developer who has been cast into the wide wide
> world of Oracle. As a former MySQL user mainly (no boos please :),
> there is a lot of Oracle terminology that I dont understand.
>
> Specifically:
> - instance
> - database (it appears that a single host and port can have several
> databases)
> - sid
> - schema (it appears that a single database can have several schemas
> and that a schema is a collection of tables, views, triggers, etc)
> - user (it appears that a user can have access to various schemas and
> various permissions within schemas... contrast with MySQL where there
> are only databases)
>
> Beyond definitions for the above, my goal is to ask: how do you
> uniquely identify a schema? We are running both 10g and 11g here and
> so we cannot truly refer to a schema by the name alone without
> qualifying it with the database. But since the word "instance" is
> being thrown around here as well, I have to wonder what is meant by
> that also.
>
> Thanks,
> Terrence

Not exactly an answer to your questions, but I guess following
document might help you comparing Oracle vs. MySQL:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12151_01/doc.150/e12155/overview_mysql.=
htm

HTH

--
Jeroen
0
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:24:08 -0700, The Quiet Center wrote:

> hi, I'm an open source developer who has been cast into the wide wide
> world of Oracle. As a former MySQL user mainly (no boos please :), there
> is a lot of Oracle terminology that I dont understand.

No boos, both databases are owned by Oracle Corp. The customers paying
for the enterprise versions of MySQL are the prime targets for the Oracle
sales assassins. It's good that you remained within the Oracle family.

> Specifically:
> - instance

One copy of software managing one database.

> - database (it appears that a single host and port can have several
> databases)

Yes, one host and port can be used to connect to several instances. Each
instance manages a single database. There can be databases managed by more
than one instance, like this:

SQL> select inst_id,instance_name,host_name,version,status
  2  from gv$instance order by inst_id;

   INST_ID INSTANCE_NAME    HOST_NAME  VERSION		 STATUS
---------- ---------------- ---------- ----------------- ------------
	 1 ADPRD1	    oracle14   10.2.0.4.0	 OPEN
	 2 ADPRD2	    oracle15   10.2.0.4.0	 OPEN
	 3 ADPRD3	    oracle13   10.2.0.4.0	 OPEN

Elapsed: 00:00:00.10
SQL>

That kind of database is called "screwed" database.

> - sid

SID= System IDentification is the identifier that uniquely identifies an
oracle instance. It is embedded into the process names:
[oracle@oracle17 ~]$ ps -ef|grep $ORACLE_SID|grep -v grep
oracle   19798     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:03:14 ora_pmon_VMSO
oracle   19800     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:12:18 ora_vktm_VMSO
oracle   19804     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:05 ora_gen0_VMSO
oracle   19806     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:13 ora_diag_VMSO
oracle   19808     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:06 ora_dbrm_VMSO
oracle   19810     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:48 ora_psp0_VMSO
oracle   19812     1  0 Apr18 ?        02:09:25 ora_dia0_VMSO
oracle   19814     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:05 ora_mman_VMSO
oracle   19816     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:01:38 ora_dbw0_VMSO
oracle   19818     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:01:34 ora_dbw1_VMSO
oracle   19820     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:03:55 ora_lgwr_VMSO
oracle   19822     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:07:50 ora_ckpt_VMSO
oracle   19824     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:02:36 ora_smon_VMSO
oracle   19826     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:04 ora_reco_VMSO
oracle   19828     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:08:56 ora_mmon_VMSO
oracle   19830     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:08:04 ora_mmnl_VMSO
oracle   19832     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:04 ora_d000_VMSO
oracle   19834     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:04 ora_s000_VMSO
oracle   19844     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:03 ora_qmnc_VMSO
oracle   19858     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:06:22 ora_cjq0_VMSO
oracle   19862     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:04 ora_q001_VMSO
oracle   19914     1  0 Apr18 ?        00:00:06 ora_smco_VMSO
oracle   28716     1  0 Apr20 ?        00:00:03 ora_q002_VMSO
oracle   21453     1  0 15:17 ?        00:00:01 ora_j001_VMSO
oracle   21496     1  0 15:21 ?        00:00:02 ora_j000_VMSO
oracle   22102     1  0 16:06 ?        00:00:00 ora_w000_VMSO
[oracle@oracle17 ~]$ echo $ORACLE_SID
VMSO
[oracle@oracle17 ~]$

> - schema (it appears that a single database can have several schemas and
> that a schema is a collection of tables, views, triggers, etc)

That is precisely what the schema is. In oracle, schema corresponds to a
username.

-  user
Users corresponds to the schemas. In the brave new world of Oracle,
user==schema.

> (it appears that a user can have access to various schemas and various
> permissions within schemas... contrast with MySQL where there are only
> databases)

Yes, there are commands like GRANT and REVOKE which are used to grant
privileges to your neighbor's objects. In the world of Oracle, it is not
illegal to covet thy neighbor's objects, if he grants you the privilege
to do so.

SQL> select count(*) from sys.obj$;
select count(*) from sys.obj$
                         *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Elapsed: 00:00:00.09
SQL> connect system@vmso
Enter password:
********
Connected.
SQL> select count(*) from sys.obj$;

  COUNT(*)
----------
     73440

Elapsed: 00:00:00.11
SQL>

> Beyond definitions for the above, my goal is to ask: how do you uniquely
> identify a schema? We are running both 10g and 11g here and so we cannot
> truly refer to a schema by the name alone without qualifying it with the
> database. But since the word "instance" is being thrown around here as
> well, I have to wonder what is meant by that also.
>
> Thanks,
> Terrence

There are database links. You can create a DB link and use it to retrieve
the data from the remote database. You also have synonyms which can be
used to hide the implementation details.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
0

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

is OCI API for accessing Oracle database, and Oracle RAC (database cluster) same or different?
Hi, My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my application? Thanks in advance, Ramakrishna. On 14 Jun 2006 23:41:29 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >My application uses OCI to access Oracle database. >Now, I came to know about the Oracle RAC failover kind of >configuration. Is OCI API for accessing an Oracle cluster is same or >different? Is my existing application works well with a cluster (taking >the advantage of failover) or do I need to do any changes in my >application? > >Thanks in advance, >Ramakrishna. It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Sybrand Bakker wrote: > > It makes no difference, unless the instance parameters are different. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Hi Sybrand, Thanks for giving reply on this. Can you please elaborate your response. Is Instance parameters mean Global Database Name, user name and password? Thanks, Ramakrishna. On 15 Jun 2006 01:37:28 -0700, "RamaKrishna Narla" <rknarla@gmail.com> wrote: > >Sybrand Bakker wrote...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

Oracle databases on a server
I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. Would it be true to say that all databases installed on this server are listed in tnsnames.ora where the 'HOST' entry points to this server? On Feb 20, 9:00=A0am, p...@qantas.com.au wrote: > I have Oracle installation on a SUN UNIX server. I tappears that it is > running Oracle 10.2 and Solaris 8. > > I want to find out how many databases are installed on this server. > > Would it be true to s...

How to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database?
Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle database,but i don't know hot to do that, somebody can help me? Probably you are thinking that this doesn't makes sense, but I need to pass some info(each 3 months) from a Oracle database(a very large database) to a MySQL database (a lot smaller database). Thank you in advance. abelito_morelos@terra.com (The Magus) wrote in message news:<867afc1b.0401121252.7a7dfa67@posting.google.com>... > Well,actually i need to synchronize a MySQL database with a Oracle > database,but i don't know hot to d...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Tha...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Establishing connection from Oracle Database to DB2 database
Hi, Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on the same. Waiting for reply. Its critical umeshchoudhary@gmail.com (U C) wrote in news:d06590c8.0504252348.71a5c6f8@posting.google.com: > Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database to DB2 database > oracle is on unix and DB2 is on AS400. Please guide me step by step on > the same. > > Waiting for reply. Its critical > use PERL between the two DBs. >Hi, > Can any one help me in connecting oracle database...

Hello, I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? So, what is the correct syntax ? Thanks for your help Cyril "Cyril" <jewelk@free.fr> wrote in message news:cd38c3d6.0408100617.6f7b9f3e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need to copy a table from an 8i oracle database to a sqlserver 2000 database. > > Is it possible to use the command "COPY FROM ... TO ..." ? > So, what is the correct syntax ? > > > Thanks for your help > &...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi Sven. Try the following command. dbexport <your database>. Then creating current directry <your database.dbs> ..unl is ASCII file ..sql is create table script. Regards. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 >From: s.anders@digitec.de (Sven Anders) >Reply-To: s.anders@digitec.de (Sven Anders) >To: informix-list@iiug.org >Subject: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle >Date: 15 Oct 2003 23:35:11 -0700 > >Hi, >I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, >but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > >- Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > >- In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole >database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , >insert ...), so >you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql ><file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there >is a >infdump direcorty) > >- Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from >infomix to oracle? > >Best Regards > >Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH _________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail sending to informix-list ...

database schema documentation for Oracle
Just a quick note to let you all know about a shareware app I wrote called SqlSpec that will generate documentation for any Oracle 9i (and up) database schema. In addition to Oracle, it also supports SQL Server, DB2, MySQL, Sybase ASE, PostgreSQL, Analysis Server, and MS Access. This encompasses pretty close to 100% of the DBMS on the market today. It's available here: http://www.elsasoft.org There are samples here, including some for Oracle: http://www.elsasoft.org/samples.htm Here are some sample command lines for using it with Oracle: http://www.elsasoft.org/sqlspec.htm#_Toc1631253...

Using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database
Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? don't, bad idea. Jim "steveH" <sjharri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:324e5dec.0311031243.6b07a00d@posting.google.com... > Are there any known issues using Oracle 8 binaries with an Oracle 9 database? ...

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3. I connect with the command sqlplus as user "sys/secret as SYSDBA" to launch the command "create database" B U T at this point when i insert a usr/pwd (i have tryed with sys/change_on_install as sysdba, system/manager, sys/secret, scott/tiger, all...) in Windows98 appears a dialog box (the same obtained clicking on the menu voice "Start Oracle database") that ask for a password: not a username/password, only a password. I've inserted the same passed to the orapwd command and all known password but it say that it's incorrect. After this I've disinstalled all and reinstalled responding "yes" when Universal Installer ask to install a database. In this way all run correctly. Probably in Windows98 u have to permit the installation of a db to use oracle. Probably the installation of ...

Web resources about - understanding oracle terminology - instance, database, sid, schema - comp.databases.oracle.server

How Clinton Shadowboxed Trump at the Democratic Debate
Hillary Clinton may have been facing Bernie Sanders at Wednesday’s debate, but in reality she was shadowboxing Donald Trump. The Republican ...

Oculus Social launches on Gear VR, Facebook tie-in coming soon
Following the lead of nearly everything else on the internet, Oculus has announced it's adding social features to the company's VR platform. ...

Iran says missile tests not violation of nuclear deal: state TV
Iran said on Thursday that its test-firing of ballistic missiles, designed to be able to hit Israel, were not a violation of a landmark nuclear ...

Rory Feek To Pay Tribute To Wife Joey By Writing A Book
Rory Feek is still mourning the loss of his wife Joey, but that doesn’t mean that he won’t still be still living his life. Rory had a great marriage ...

Samsung Elec says preorders for Galaxy S7 phones stronger than expected
SEOUL (Reuters) - Tech giant Samsung Electronics Co Ltd has seen stronger-than-expected preorders for its new flagship Galaxy S7 smartphones ...

Now Bette Midler Challenges Kim Kardashian to Use Her Naked Selfie for Charity
ABC News Now Bette Midler Challenges Kim Kardashian to Use Her Naked Selfie for Charity People Magazine On Wednesday, three days after the ...

Apple working on a 5.8-inch iPhone with OLED display, rumor claims
If you thought Apple was done toying with the iPhone's form factor, you might be in for a little bit of a surprise. According to a report from ...

Nancy Reagan Begins Final Journey to Husband's Side
More than 3,000 people visited the casket of Nancy Reagan at the first day of a public viewing, and many more are expected on the second day ...

Attorney for Dr. Luke denies report of Sony Music split
Los Angeles Times Attorney for Dr. Luke denies report of Sony Music split Los Angeles Times An attorney for Dr. Luke has denied reports that ...

As seen in I, Robot: Goodyear unveils spherical tires for self-driving cars
What will the cars of the future be like? It’s fun to imagine how new technologies and design trends will influence future cars. Car bodies ...