update oracle database when ever changes are made in access database

Hi all,
well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes
would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the
oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous
process either changes made or not so what should i do.
0
varuns123 (3)

"Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes
> would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the
> oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous
> process either changes made or not so what should i do.
Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI.
Jim

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message news:<A3GNc.174982$IQ4.4937@attbi_s02>...
> "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes
> > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the
> > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous
> > process either changes made or not so what should i do.
> Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI.
> Jim

but the problem is that the actual application that we are enhancing
is using access and it is a step conversion so we cannot drop access
entirely we r trying to shift to oracle once the whole thing is
complete, till then updations are made in access only.
0
varuns123 (3)
7/28/2004 1:25:33 PM
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message
> > "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes
> > > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the
> > > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous
> > > process either changes made or not so what should i do.
> > Get rid of the Access database, just use it as the GUI.
> > Jim
>
> but the problem is that the actual application that we are enhancing
> is using access and it is a step conversion so we cannot drop access
> entirely we r trying to shift to oracle once the whole thing is
> complete, till then updations are made in access only.

Access does not provide any native ways of doing this.  You would have to
build it all yourself.  Probably better (less work) to just port it to
Oracle.  Less code, less QA, most of us don't have a lot of cycles to write
all that code just to port to another platform in a delayed manner.  You
would have to track all the changes in Access and then figure out some way
to move just those changes to Oracle.
Jim

You probably have some good reasons, but why didn't you just "link" the
Oracle table into MS Access?

We do this a lot and it works good.

Just make sure the Oracle table has a unique index or you specify a unique
set of columns to identify 1 row when you link the table into MS Access.

--

"Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes
> would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the
> oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous
> process either changes made or not so what should i do.

thanx for the suggestion burt but will the oracle table get updated
everytime the when ever access tables are changed. i think i have to
just manually update the tables in the linked tables how to update the
new data each time automatically. just like using triggers in the
oracle. what should i do here to make it fast and automatic
"Burt Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVETHIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<Lt_Nc.54827$Yw3.12831@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
> You probably have some good reasons, but why didn't you just "link" the
> Oracle table into MS Access?
>
> We do this a lot and it works good.
>
> Just make sure the Oracle table has a unique index or you specify a unique
> set of columns to identify 1 row when you link the table into MS Access.
>
> --
>
> "Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes
> > would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the
> > oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous
> > process either changes made or not so what should i do.
0
varuns123 (3)
7/29/2004 11:22:58 AM
Varun wrote:

> thanx for the suggestion burt but will the oracle table get updated
> everytime the when ever access tables are changed. i think i have to
> just manually update the tables in the linked tables how to update the
> new data each time automatically. just like using triggers in the
> oracle. what should i do here to make it fast and automatic
> "Burt Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVETHIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<Lt_Nc.54827$Yw3.12831@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
>
>>You probably have some good reasons, but why didn't you just "link" the
>>Oracle table into MS Access?
>>
>>We do this a lot and it works good.
>>
>>Just make sure the Oracle table has a unique index or you specify a unique
>>set of columns to identify 1 row when you link the table into MS Access.
>>
>>--
>>
>>"Varun" <varuns123@ggn.hcltech.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>well i have migrated the database from access to oracle and changes
>>>would be done in access only so i want to make same changes in the
>>>oracle database say after 10 mins. or so everytime i.e a continuous
>>>process either changes made or not so what should i do.

I'm not sure how exactly the Oracle and Access databases are linked, but
I am assuming you have probably linked the Oracle tables via ODBC to
your Access GUI?

If you link the new Oracle tables to Access, then I *think* you can have
Access populate these tables as well as the native access tables on a
timed basis or even at the time of update, you can also link the Access
tables to Oracle via heterogeneous services and have an Oracle job
running that extracts/copies/inserts data from the Access table(s) every
X minutes if that fits your needs better.