Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table

I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts
live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who
haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL
Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be
able to use the following query:

UPDATE server..user.table
    SET OraField1 = 'I'
    WHERE OraField1 = 'A'
         AND OraField2 IN (
            SELECT SQLfield2
                FROM SQLTable
                WHERE SQLField1 = 1
            )

However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was
reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time".
This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was
defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite
this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do
what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in
the database...

Thanks!

"Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVulcan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts
> live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who
> haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL
> Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be
> able to use the following query:
>
> UPDATE server..user.table
>    SET OraField1 = 'I'
>    WHERE OraField1 = 'A'
>         AND OraField2 IN (
>            SELECT SQLfield2
>                FROM SQLTable
>                WHERE SQLField1 = 1
>            )
>
> However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was
> reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time".
> This appears to mean that there's a field on the Oracle side that was
> defined as Number without any precision information. How can I rewrite
> this query to actually work? OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do
> what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in
> the database...
>
> Thanks!

OpenQuery is the only way you'll get around that dbtype error.  I've found
OpenQuery to work very well.

--
Terry Dykstra

0
tddykstra (113)
5/12/2008 9:50:04 PM
On May 12, 5:50=A0pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks...@forestoil.ca> wrote:
> "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVul...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts
> > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who
> > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL
> > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to be
> > able to use the following query:
>
> > UPDATE server..user.table
> > =A0 =A0SET OraField1 =3D 'I'
> > =A0 =A0WHERE OraField1 =3D 'A'
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 AND OraField2 IN (
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0SELECT SQLfield2
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FROM SQLTable
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0WHERE SQLField1 =3D 1
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0)
>
> > However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was
> > reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time".
> > ... OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do
> > what I want, and I don't want to accidentally inactivate everyone in
> > the database...
>
> OpenQuery is the only way you'll get around that dbtype error. =A0I've fou=
nd
> OpenQuery to work very well.

Ok, how do I do that? Would this be the correct syntax?

UPDATE OpenQuery(Server, 'select pid, orafield1, orafield2 from
oratable')
   SET OraField1 =3D 'I'
   WHERE OraField1 =3D 'A'
        AND OraField2 IN (
           SELECT SQLfield2
               FROM SQLTable
               WHERE SQLField1 =3D 1
           )
On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:46:31 -0700, Garrett  Fitzgerald wrote:

> On May 12, 5:50 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks...@forestoil.ca> wrote:
>> "Garrett Fitzgerald" <SarekOfVul...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a medical records system where parts live in Oracle and parts
>> > live in SQL Server. I'm trying to inactivate a lot of patients who
>> > haven't been seen since the conversion by updating them on the SQL
>> > Server side and then updating the Oracle side to match. I'd like to
>> > be able to use the following query:
>>
>> > UPDATE server..user.table
>> >    SET OraField1 = 'I'
>> >    WHERE OraField1 = 'A'
>> >         AND OraField2 IN (
>> >            SELECT SQLfield2
>> >                FROM SQLTable
>> >                WHERE SQLField1 = 1
>> >            )
>>
>> > However, when I do this, I get an error saying that the field "was
>> > reported to have a DBTYPE of 130 at compile time and 5 at run time".
>> > ... OpenQuery doesn't seem like it will do what I want, and I don't
>> > want to accidentally inactivate everyone in the database...
>>
>> OpenQuery is the only way you'll get around that dbtype error.  I've
>> found OpenQuery to work very well.
>
> Ok, how do I do that? Would this be the correct syntax?
>
> UPDATE OpenQuery(Server, 'select pid, orafield1, orafield2 from
> oratable')
>    SET OraField1 = 'I'
>    WHERE OraField1 = 'A'
>         AND OraField2 IN (
>            SELECT SQLfield2
>                FROM SQLTable
>                WHERE SQLField1 = 1
>            )

From Oracle side, in order to participate in a distributed transaction,
you would need the corresponding transparent gateway, a separately
licensed product. If and when you have that, something like this would
probably work:

with myview as (
     select pid, orafield1, orafield2,sqlfield2
     from oratable o,sqltable s
     where o.orafield2=s.sqlfield2 and
           orafield1 = 'A' and
           sqlfield1 = 1)
update myview set orafield='I'

That will work as long as the view contains the primary key of
the oracle table. Essentially, you need to do the update from the
Oracle side, not the SQL Server side, you need the GW software and license
and you can use the standard Oracle technique for "updating table A from
table B".

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
On May 13, 3:07=A0am, Mladen Gogala <mgog...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:46:31 -0700, Garrett =A0Fitzgerald wrote:

> >> OpenQuery is the only way you'll get around that dbtype error. =A0I've
> >> found OpenQuery to work very well.
>
> > Ok, how do I do that? Would this be the correct syntax?
>
> > UPDATE OpenQuery(Server, 'select pid, orafield1, orafield2 from
> > oratable')
> > =A0 =A0SET OraField1 =3D 'I'
> > =A0 =A0WHERE OraField1 =3D 'A'
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 AND OraField2 IN (
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0SELECT SQLfield2
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FROM SQLTable
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0WHERE SQLField1 =3D 1
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0)
>
> From Oracle side, in order to participate in a distributed transaction,
> you would need the corresponding transparent gateway, a separately
> licensed product. If and when you have that, something like this would
> probably work:
>
> with myview as (
> =A0 =A0 =A0select pid, orafield1, orafield2,sqlfield2
> =A0 =A0 =A0from oratable o,sqltable s
> =A0 =A0 =A0where o.orafield2=3Ds.sqlfield2 and
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0orafield1 =3D 'A' and
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0sqlfield1 =3D 1)
> update myview set orafield=3D'I'
>
> That will work as long as the view contains the primary key of
> the oracle table. Essentially, you need to do the update from the
> Oracle side, not the SQL Server side, you need the GW software and license=

> and you can use the standard Oracle technique for "updating table A from
> table B".
>
> --
> Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.freehostia.com- Hide quoted text -

If this is being ran from the SQL Server side the Transparent Gateway
product would not be required.

If may also be possible to get around the ODBC error via the use of an
explict convert function in the code or if that does not work by
placing a view over the Oracle table that incudes the necessary
conversion.  I think I have managed to work around one or two errors
using the above.

To run from the Oracle side instead of purchasing the Gateway product
you can try generic connectivity.  This requires that you obtain
(purchase) and ODBC driver to SQL Server for the platform you run SQL
server on for all platforms except Windows where I believe the
necessary comes with the platform.  I had this working on AIX for
Oracle version 8.1.7.  With AIX I believe this feature is broke on ver
9 but it works on other platforms and a patch might have been
available.  The developers choose to use a java program so we never
carried the HS forward after the initial tests.

The open query method should also work.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

0
Mark.Powell (1630)
5/13/2008 1:49:12 PM
On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:49:12 -0700, Mark D Powell wrote:

> If this is being ran from the SQL Server side the Transparent Gateway
> product would not be required.

I am not THAT kind of guy. I don't run things from SQL Server side.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
0
mgogala1572 (354)
5/13/2008 10:27:32 PM
On May 13, 9:49=A0am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow...@eds.com> wrote:
> If may also be possible to get around the ODBC error via the use of an
> explict convert function in the code or if that does not work by
> placing a view over the Oracle table that incudes the necessary
> conversion. =A0I think I have managed to work around one or two errors
> using the above.

Mark, thanks: I created a view on the relevant fields, casting Number
to Number(16), and it worked like a charm.

Thanks to everyone else who chimed in as well: I appreciate the
assistance. :-)

SqlSpec

Linking SQL Server tables to Oracle Tables DSN-Less
Hi, i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the other than update the array. Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less connection)?? If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! Cheers Gaz gonkowonko@gmail.com wrote: > i have an oracle database and an SQL Database i query both and at the > mo i have to query one then put records in an array then query the > other than update the array. > > Is there a method in VB6 that i can simply link the two (dsn-less > connection)?? BDE (Borland Database Engine) is similar to ODBC and it allows heterogenous database joins - e.g. you can select a table from one BDE data source and joined it (using SQL) with another BDE data source. Have done this a few times in Delphi (but never put that code into production). The vast majority of times this type of thing is not a bright idea. It can (and usually do) cause havoc with performance. > If anyone as a solution you would save me hours !! I would rather solve this at server side then in VB at the client side. Oracle provides a transparent interface into other databases, including SQL-Server. From the client side the SQL-Server table will look like a normal Oracle table. -- Billy Hey Gaz, You can use Oracle Heterogeneous Services to allow ODBC based Database Links to be created in the Oracle Server, after which you can query the SQL Server t...

databases.oracle.server job link
http://www.jobbankdata.com http://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htm http://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm On Mar 12, 10:29 am, "good_online_jobs" <good_online_j...@yahoo.com> wrote: > http://www.jobbankdata.comhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/index.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/type-of-jobs.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/find-job.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/result.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-app.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/create-cv.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/interview.htmhttp://www.jobbankdata.com/site.htm Would you please stop violating the newsgroup terms of use by posting this useless non-Oracle related crapola. Sites supported by such unethical postings are not work visiting. -- Mark D Powell -- ...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v$database view sybrandb wrote: > dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > > Hi, > > > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > > in a oracle server? > > Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. > There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. > There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. > There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) > Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. > > -- > Sybrand Bakker > Senior Oracle DBA dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing > databases in a oracle server? Depends what you mean by "database" and "server". If "server" means a physical, computer server and you want to see all the Oracle instances ("databases"), on most ...

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

Oracle databases on a server

Importing sql server 7/2000 database to Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie E Sullivan wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie What do you mean by "import"? If you mean dump the data as a delimited text file and use SQL*Loader. Yes. But do keep in mind you will need to translate some data types and autonumbering columns do not exist. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thanks, Daniel. Yes, that is what I want. Now about the autonumbering columns: as long as we aren't going to add to the database and expect autonumbering, I can still have that column, right? That's what it sounds like. thanks again. "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077639180.433784@yasure... > E Sullivan wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to ju...

Importing sql server 7/2000 database into Oracle
Hi, Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no stored procedures? thanks, Ellie Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. Regards Kevin "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... > Hi, > > Is it possible to import a MS sql server 7 or 2000 database into Oracle? > Also, if this is possible, would it be better to just import tables and no > stored procedures? > > thanks, > > Ellie > > The stored procedures probably won't be needed so that's ok. I think the difference may be because mssql server uses "transact sql" which is their version of sql statements. Did we really expect MS to play nicely! Can the database be attached/imported or would I have to create a delimited text file? Thanks again. "Kevin A Lewis" <Kevin_A_Lewis@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UjL_b.22$mj7.1@newreader.ukcore.bt.net... > Tables and indexes only surely - have you compared the stored procedures in > SqlServer and Oracle! Every one I have ever seen have been quite different. > > Regards Kevin > > "E Sullivan" <ellie999nospam@nospamptd.net> wrote in message > news:2LGdnUSaYJzJ66bdUSdV9g@ptd.net... >...

US-PA: Philadelphia-Oracle/SQL Server Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is a regional job board serving all industries and occupations in the PA, NJ, DE, NY, MD, and DC areas. We offer a regional job board, online learning, and regional job fair events for jobseekers who live in our areas of focus. To Learn More: Job Board: http://www.JobCircle.com?source=ng eLearning: http://www.JobCircle.com/courseware?source=ng Job Fairs: http://JobCircleJobFairs.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle/S...

from sql server to oracle to ANOTHER oracle
I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. I try to write something like SELECT * FROM LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 but it does not work questions 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? 2) if so, how ? thank you! On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > oracle db. I'm not able to find the syntax. > > I try to write something like > > =A0SELECT * FROM > =A0 LINKTOORACLE..mm510TAL.CSHDET@ORAGATE2 > > but it does not work > > questions > 1) is is possible to use nested dblinks ? > 2) if so, how ? > > thank you! use a synonym that points to the second linked table? On Nov 10, 9:27=A0pm, onedbguru <onedbg...@yahoo.com> wrote: > On Nov 10, 10:57=A0am, Alberto Marchi <alberto.rol...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > I have a linked server to a oracle db, that works. > > > I have to write a query from sql server that connecto to the oracle > > server, and the use a database link from that oracle db to another > > oracle db. I&#...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

SN#22938 Oracle Database 11g vs. Microsoft SQL Server 2008
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 145 Issue 5 2010-04-01 Article 22938 from section "Oracle" An Edison Group Comparative Management Costs Study An Edison Group report offers a comparative management costs study revealing how the Oracle Database widens the manageability lead over Microsoft SQL Server 2008. The study shows how Oracle Database 11g can save 43% in time and 41% in database management costs over Microsoft SQL Server 2008. Details at http://sun.systemnews.com/g?A=22938 Have a custom version of 'System News for Sun Users&#...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger ...

query sql server/oracle table from Db2 or join db2 table with sqlserver table #2
My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to db2 on the mainframe. TIA Roger Roger wrote: > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > How can I accomplish this ? Do i need a seperate product ? > I also have license for Db2 v8 connect that I use for connecting to > db2 on the mainframe. You need to look at Websphere Information Integrator along with the relational wrappers for MS SQL server and Oracle. Ian, its a canned CRM application that currently connects to DB2. I cannot run the app on Websphere. A few years could use relational connect and create federated nickname on db2. Can I still do that ? TIA On Apr 27, 6:01 pm, Ian <ianb...@mobileaudio.com> wrote: > Roger wrote: > > My application connects to a DB2 V8.2 EE database running on AIX. I > > need to now lookup a table in SQL SERVER via the DB2 connection. I > > also need to run an sql that joins a DB2 table with an Oracle table. > > How can I accomplish this ? Do i n...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

Web resources about - Updating Oracle database from SQL Server as linked table - comp.databases.oracle.server

Wikipedia:Updating information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia editing guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Facebook Updating Software Development Kit For Apple IOS 6 To Reflect Integration
With Facebook integration officially coming to Apple’s iOS 6 mobile operating system for its iPhone and iPad tablet, what new features are in ...

Updating how Cost per Click is Measured on Facebook
To help advertisers better understand how their ads perform, we're updating the definition of cost per click on Facebook. Learn what the change ...

Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know
Updating Your App for iOS 9: What You Need to Know

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Page Updating
... who want to more easily update their Facebook Pages on the go: Facebook for iPhone 3.0 , which should be released soon, will include Page updating, ...

Updating trends on mobile
Trends are a great way to find out what people are talking about on Twitter at a given moment and at a single glance. Starting today, we’re making ...

Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store on iTunes
Get Delhi Metro Fare Calculator and Auto-Updating Map on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

BlackBerry Bold 9000 Updating #2 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore berrytokyo's photos on Flickr. berrytokyo has uploaded 126 photos to Flickr.

LOOT v0.7.0 for Mod Organizer: Updating and Installation - YouTube
A new version of LOOT (Load Order Optimisation Tool) has been released with some major upgrades. This video tutorial shows how to upgrade and ...

Updating Emma: Jane Austen's classic joins list of literary reworks
Jane Austen published six novels. Just six. She died before she completed the seventh.