f



Upgrade from Oracle 9.2.0.1 to Oracle 9.2.0.3

Hello All,
I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or
9.2.0.4.  Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4?

Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying
9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start
again?

Thanks
Kumu
0
2/17/2004 2:37:58 AM
comp.databases.oracle.server 22978 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

8 Replies
1775 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 49

Hello Kumu,

  What is the reason for upgrade? Any specific bugs or issues you
experience?

  You can open TAR as well to get support recommendations for your
situation.

  New patches can introduce new problems as you can see,

Regards,

  Ron
  DBA Infopower
  http://www.dbainfopower.com
  Standard disclaimer:
http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html




"kumu" <forlist2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:a44abd39.0402161837.6badb9ed@posting.google.com...
> Hello All,
> I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or
> 9.2.0.4.  Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4?
>
> Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying
> 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start
> again?
>
> Thanks
> Kumu


0
support3638 (129)
2/17/2004 7:54:26 AM
"Ron" <support@dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<QqWdnRM_cMiwWqzdRVn-vg@comcast.com>...
> Hello Kumu,
> 
>   What is the reason for upgrade? Any specific bugs or issues you
> experience?
> 
>   You can open TAR as well to get support recommendations for your
> situation.
> 
>   New patches can introduce new problems as you can see,
> 
> Regards,
> 
>   Ron
>   DBA Infopower
>   http://www.dbainfopower.com
>   Standard disclaimer:
> http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html
> 
> 
> 
> 
> "kumu" <forlist2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:a44abd39.0402161837.6badb9ed@posting.google.com...
> > Hello All,
> > I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or
> > 9.2.0.4.  Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4?
> >
> > Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying
> > 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start
> > again?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kumu

um, how about security fixes, having a working export utility, or in
attempting to avoid brain-dead CBO functionality?

9.2.0.3 was not production grade, IMHO.
9.2.0.4 was a bare minimum patchset on which to migrate to, but that
was for our environment.

>   New patches can introduce new problems as you can see
and oracle supports' typical first response is to upgrade to the
current patchset.

I would prefer to not do battle with solved problems.

Pd
0
drak0nian (276)
2/17/2004 3:59:47 PM
kumu wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or
> 9.2.0.4.  Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4?
> 
> Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying
> 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start
> again?
> 
> Thanks
> Kumu

9.2.0.4. The only thing I would recommend is that you read the
instructions before applying the patch. OPATCH is a very nasty
piece of software that Oracle should have replaced long ago.

-- 
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
damorgan@x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

0
Daniel
2/17/2004 4:17:08 PM
drak0nian@yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<1ac7c7b3.0402170759.4844d23c@posting.google.com>...
> "Ron" <support@dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<QqWdnRM_cMiwWqzdRVn-vg@comcast.com>...
> > Hello Kumu,
> > 
> >   What is the reason for upgrade? Any specific bugs or issues you
> > experience?
> > 
> >   You can open TAR as well to get support recommendations for your
> > situation.
> > 
> >   New patches can introduce new problems as you can see,
> > 
> > Regards,
> > 
> >   Ron
> >   DBA Infopower
> >   http://www.dbainfopower.com
> >   Standard disclaimer:
> > http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > "kumu" <forlist2001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:a44abd39.0402161837.6badb9ed@posting.google.com...
> > > Hello All,
> > > I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or
> > > 9.2.0.4.  Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4?
> > >
> > > Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying
> > > 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start
> > > again?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Kumu
> 
> um, how about security fixes, having a working export utility, or in
> attempting to avoid brain-dead CBO functionality?
> 
> 9.2.0.3 was not production grade, IMHO.
> 9.2.0.4 was a bare minimum patchset on which to migrate to, but that
> was for our environment.
> 
> >   New patches can introduce new problems as you can see
> and oracle supports' typical first response is to upgrade to the
> current patchset.
> 
> I would prefer to not do battle with solved problems.
> 
> Pd

Ron,

funny, this same thread is being visited on oracle-l @freelists.com.
(thanks to Chris D for the metalink note ref)

See Metalink note 209768.1 - Database & iAS Software Error Correction Support  

If you have support, please review the doc at:
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/docs/284348.PDF

If you don't have support, you don't have access to patchsets, so the point it moot.

so there you have it.

Pd
0
drak0nian (276)
2/17/2004 7:47:56 PM
Is there ever a time when you DON'T recommend reading the instructions before 
patching??  :-)


In article <1077034585.564339@yasure>, Daniel Morgan 
<damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote:

>9.2.0.4. The only thing I would recommend is that you read the
>instructions before applying the patch. OPATCH is a very nasty
>piece of software that Oracle should have replaced long ago.
0
jeff8860 (177)
2/18/2004 6:39:12 PM
Daniel Morgan wrote:

> kumu wrote:
> 
>> Hello All,
>> I am trying to upgrade oracle 9.2.0.1 to new patchset 9.2.0.3 or
>> 9.2.0.4.  Please recommend which is better 9.2.0.3 or 9.2.0.4?
>>
>> Also I had a bad experience with my development server when applying
>> 9.2.0.3 patchset. Is there anything you recommend before I start
>> again?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kumu
> 
> 
> 9.2.0.4. The only thing I would recommend is that you read the
> instructions before applying the patch. OPATCH is a very nasty
> piece of software that Oracle should have replaced long ago.
> 

Definitely 9.2.0.4.  You always want to go with the latest published 
patch, no matter how scary the list of bug fixes in the release notes 
might seem. ;-)

It is easier, IMHO, to create a new database under the latest release 
than it is to migrate from an older release, so take into account how 
many of each type (new vs. migrated) you have to deal with.

I have been mildly burned several times (comes with the territory), when 
picking a date for upgrading the production site a number of months in 
advance.   After running through a gauntlet of testing, it seems no 
sooner do you complete the upgrade, than Oracle inevitably announces a 
new patch release, and at that point, any ORA-00600 or ORA-07445 errors 
are immediately met with, 'did you install the latest patch?'

To be fair to Oracle, I have at least once been successful in 
documenting a bug whose fix they consented to back-port to 9.2.0.3, even 
though the initial response was, "that is fixed in version 10".  So, as 
previously stated, paid-for support in a commercial environment can 
actually be worth it.

--Mark Bole


0
makbo (354)
2/19/2004 3:21:26 AM
jeff@work.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<c10bgg$2qg$1@cronkite.cc.uga.edu>...
> Is there ever a time when you DON'T recommend reading the instructions before 
> patching??  :-)
> 
> 
> In article <1077034585.564339@yasure>, Daniel Morgan 
> <damorgan@x.washington.edu> wrote:
> 
> >9.2.0.4. The only thing I would recommend is that you read the
> >instructions before applying the patch. OPATCH is a very nasty
> >piece of software that Oracle should have replaced long ago.

ya sure.
when you apply the latest patchet on a server prior to creating a database.
no database, no worries.

Pd
0
drak0nian (276)
2/19/2004 6:20:02 AM
In article <1ac7c7b3.0402182220.1f1021fd@posting.google.com>, drak0nian@yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote:
>jeff@work.com (Jeff) wrote in message
> news:<c10bgg$2qg$1@cronkite.cc.uga.edu>...
>> Is there ever a time when you DON'T recommend reading the instructions before
>> patching??  :-)

>ya sure.
>when you apply the latest patchet on a server prior to creating a database.
>no database, no worries.
>
>Pd

Oh, thbbthbt!  :-b  :-)
0
jeff8860 (177)
2/19/2004 1:44:16 PM
Reply: