Use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris?

Hi All,

   I have to compare 64 bit 9.2 versus 32 bit 9.2 to
see what is the pros and cons for upgrading to which version for
my work's production database.

   My question is will I be able to use the Dynamic SGA feature in
32-bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris?

Let me tell you what happen?

I( my work) open a TAR on this topic, but
the metalink analyst say one thing, and the oracle instructor say
another thing?

Question for Metalink:
We are planning to upgrade from 8i to 9i and are interested in using
the new
Dynamic SGA feature that is enabled by setting SGA_MAX_SIZE. However, I
have
heard rumors that this feature is not available in 32-bit 9i if you
have a
"large" SGA.
Could you please clarify this for me? I show below our current v$sga
that
indiactes we are running a 3.3 gigabyte SGA now. Is this considered
"large"?
Would we need to upgrade to 64-bit 9i if we want to use dynamic SGA
sizing with
an SGA of this size?
NAME VALUE
----------------------------------- ----------
Fixed Size 73888
Variable Size 1913102336
Database Buffers 1638400000
Redo Buffers 5259264
==========================
Oracle instructor said this:

 My co-worker took a class from Oracle Education
recently, and the instuctor
told me this: "It depends on the platform. As we discuss in our
'Managing Oracle on Linux' class, to implement an SGA greater
than 1.7 GB and upto 2.7 GB on a machine with more than 4 GB of
memory on Linux Advanced Server 2.1, one needs to follow some
steps to implement a large SGA. It may not be applicable in your
case. I would upgrade the database with db_cache_size and
sga_max_size parameters to start using dynamic sga. Try it out!"
This is the same instrutor who told me that a large SGA as
described above for Linux would prevent the use of Dynamic SGA.
But I am on a difefernt platform, 64-bit Solaris, and would
like to have a better idea of what's possible before I just
go try it as suggested by the instructor.

==========================
Metalink said this:

Hi,

I did not find anything specific about limitations with dynamic SGA on
32bit oracle. However, you are already very near the max sga all
owable anyway. I don't think that you can make it grow much bigger to
take full
advantage of this feature.

Your best bet would be to use the 64bit oracle where the address space
limits are much higher and you can really grow the SGA.

Oracle Analyst

My final question is:
So my
question is will I be able to use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-
bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris?

Thanks in advance,

Dominica

0
dominica (140)

On 2 Mar 2005 13:31:08 -0800, "dominica@gmail.com"
<dominica@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I did not find anything specific about limitations with dynamic SGA on
>32bit oracle. However, you are already very near the max sga all
>owable anyway. I don't think that you can make it grow much bigger to
>take full
>advantage of this feature.
>
>Your best bet would be to use the 64bit oracle where the address space
>limits are much higher and you can really grow the SGA.
>
>Oracle Analyst
>
>My final question is:
>So my
>question is will I be able to use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-
>bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris?
>
>Thanks in advance,

My question is what advantage there is to run 32 bit Oracle on 64-bit
Solaris, especially if you can swap the 32-bit and 64-bit version for
free.
Please also take into account Oracle is more and more dropping support
for 32-bit software, and likely you will be forced to upgrade to
64-bit one day.
Also from your post it looks like you are resolving all your
performance problems by throwing more memory at the problem.
From the SGA breakdown it is quite clear you are already doing this.
An 1.6 Gb buffer cache is quite outrageous.
I can predict you increasing the buffer cache is not going to resolve
your performance problems, *EVER*.  Increasing the buffer cache will
stress the cache buffer chain latch, and it will hurt DBWR
performance. There are several Metalink articles stressing you
shouldn't 'tune' by increasing the buffer cache.

Secondly your setting of the log_buffer parameter is utterly
outrageous and nonsensical, as Oracle will write out the log_buffer
whenever 1M of that buffer is 'dirty'. Increasing the log_buffer will
hurt LGWR performance, as *more* bytes have to be written, which will
take *more* time.

I would advise urgently to return from your strategy which will end up
in Mount Doom (if you ever read Tolkiens Lord of the Rings).

Apart from that the Metalink analyst is correct, but again throwing
more memory at the problem isn't going to help you at all.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0

 Thanks for your advice.
Actually, I just inherit this 340 Gig  database.
I did not configure this database, I am the company's new DBA and
start looking at things there.

I really appreciate your comment on my system, since I have read a lot
of your reply(advice) on postings on this newsgroup in the past, and
your advice is very very good.

I need to be very careful on this database,
since this database is very OLTP and very very active all the time.

Thanks,

Dominica

0
dominica (140)
3/2/2005 10:35:37 PM
One more thing, you know why I am (my work) might
consider running 32 bit 9.2 oracle on solaris 64 bit platform. Reason
is my work is using AOLserver as webserver, so I don't know whether
AOLserver could talk to the 64 bit oracle server.
I have to test this part. If the AOLserver does not talk to 64 bit 9.2
oracle server, then I have to use 32 bit 9.2 server.
I have read about other people said in this newsgroup is if I have
64bit 9.2 server, then all the other connectivity software I want to
use , has to be 64 bit.

Thanks

Dominica

0
dominica (140)
3/2/2005 10:53:16 PM
> I have read about other people said in this newsgroup is if I have
> 64bit 9.2 server, then all the other connectivity software I want to
> use , has to be 64 bit.

Not true at all.

I have run 64-bit Oracle(817,9.2) for years and Forms/reports (5, 6i)
on Windows (32 bit network library) for years w/o no problem.

Also running Apache server with JDBC on Linux X86 for years
no problem. (32-bit).

Also running ProC program for years with no problem.

we also run 64-bit client( ProC) with 32-bit Oracle server no problem.

In conclusion: there is never a requirement ( as I knew) that requires
32bit client -32bit server , 64bit client -64bit server.

HTH

sean69 (25)
3/3/2005 4:15:26 PM
Hi Sean,

Thank you, you are right about that.

I read more about in Metalink, 64 bit server could talk to 32 bit
oracle client. So my webserver should be OK.

Dominica

0
dominica (140)

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other issues? Kindly share your experiences and help me to get the answers of these questions. Thanks & Regards, Shailesh Can migrating to Linux will be better option than 64 bit Windows? Please let me know your opinion on this as well. Thanks & Regards, Shailesh Updated Subject. Comments embedded. Shailesh wrote: > Hello, > > Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 > standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of > scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to > the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are > planning to check following. > > 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. > > Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Yes, 64 bit Oracle is required on 64 bit Windows. The 32 bit version of Oracle may work, but is not su...

Clone a 10gR2 database running on 64 bit server to 32 bit server
I Have to clone a 10gR2 database running on 64 bit server to 32 bit server. Details: we have HOT backup of last night. Database running on Red hat Linux 4. DB version : 10.2.0.2. Any suggestions are appreciated. is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? regards srivenu On Sep 9, 11:27=A0am, sriv...@hotmail.com wrote: > is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? > regards > srivenu The server has 32 bit binaries. On Sep 9, 12:32=A0pm, amr <maheshn...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sep 9, 11:27=A0am, sriv...@hotmail.com wrote: > > > is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? > > regards > > srivenu > > The server has 32 bit binaries. This is on the 64-bit machine? David Fitzjarrell On Sep 9, 10:32=A0am, amr <maheshn...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sep 9, 11:27=A0am, sriv...@hotmail.com wrote: > > > is the oracle binary 32-bit or 64-bit ? > > regards > > srivenu > > The server has 32 bit binaries. Well, it could be out of date, but see metalink Note:62290.1 & 467676.1. I think the part about 32-bit not being supported on 64-bit might be right, judging from the certification matrix. But with linux, who knows what evil lurks in the machinations of men? And I could be wrong, not actually using linux now. Platforms that support both will say 64-bit only if 64-bit, but platforms that only support 64-bit won't say it, AFAIK (Note:119707.1). So, be explicit in how you know it is 32-bit, we might all learn ...

32 bit oracle on Solaris 9 64 bits ?
I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it in 64 bits mode, which I think is the default when you install (Can anyone confirm this ?) Should I run oracle 64 bits edition on it, or would oracle 32 bits edition run just fine ? I heard that the 64 bit edition was slower and I don't need a HUGE SGA, and I will probably have older 32 bit oracle OCI apps running that I cannot recompile. Is there a HUGE performance penalty in running 32 bits apps on solaris 64 bits ? Thanks Comments inline. > I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it in > 64 bits mode, > which I think is the default when you install (Can anyone confirm this ?) Yes, 64-bit is the default. You should never change to 32 bit OS > > Should I run oracle 64 bits edition on it, or would oracle 32 bits edition > run just fine ? We run an Oracle DB of 32 bits in 64-bits Solaris (8 ,9) for more than 2 years now. Performace is good, also very stable. > I heard that the 64 bit edition was slower and I don't need a HUGE SGA, and > I will probably > have older 32 bit oracle OCI apps running that I cannot recompile. > > Is there a HUGE performance penalty in running 32 bits apps on solaris 64 > bits ?> Don't know that becuase I have no comparisons. sean chang -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 1...

Oracle 64 bits and 32 bits oracle applications mix on same machine ?
We used to run solaris 2.6 (32 bits) and oracle 32 bits on older machines. I'm new in the 64 bits world on solaris. I just bought a new sun server (SPARC III) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it, in 64 bits mode, which I think is the default (Can anyone confirm this ?) Does anyone know if it is possible on the same server, which is running in solaris 64 bits mode, and oracle 64 bits version, to run other oracle apps in 32 bits mode ? For example, suppose I have an oracle 64 bits instance running on the server and I have some "legacy" oracle applications that were compiled in 32 bit mode running (Ex: webforms server, old OCI apps) and I don't have the source and I cannot recompile them. Would those 32 bits application run OK ? Also, I've heard that unless you REALLY NEED it (For HUGE SGA for example) you better stick with oracle 32 bits because it performs better. Is that true ? Thanks Without going into too much detail: 1. Install 64-bit Solaris. 2. You can run 32-bit Oracle on 64-bit Solaris...this is very very common. 3. There is no "32-bit" mode as far as Oracle is concerned. Just stick in the 32-bit version of the software, install, and do your work normally. Hope this helps. norwoodthree@my-deja.com (NorwoodThree) wrote in message news:<ba03e2c.0310311021.7c21ae21@posting.google.com>... > Without going into too much detail: > > 1. Install 64-bit Solaris. > 2. You can run 32-bit Oracle on 64-bit Solaris...t...

Oracle 8.1.7 32-Bit to Oracle 8.1.7 64-Bit
Hi I would much appreciate help We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Is the only way of extracting/inmporting the data via the exp/imp utitlity due to the change in bits? Is there any other way? Thanks Bob Bob wrote: > Hi I would much appreciate help > > We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resides on a HP-UX > 32-bit machine. We are upgrading the HP-UX machine to 64-Bit. Hi, a) Do you want to upgrade Oracle-Software from 32bit to 64bit? On Solaris, I know 32bit Oracle-Software runs also on 64bit Solaris, but I don't know about HP-UX. b) If you want or have to switch to Oracle 64 bit, then use can use the new 64bit oracle software on the "old" database, but you have to recompile all PL/SQL-procedures, no more. No exp/imp is necessary. - install 64bit Oracle-Software in a new $ORACLE_HOME - switch all environments to 64bit oracle and use it now - sqlplus "/ as sysdba" sql> startup restrict sql> @?/rdbms/admin/utlirp; sql> shutdown immediate sql> startup sql> @?/rdbms/admin/utlrp; sql> exit; --> ready! Eberhard Eberhard Niendorf <eberhard.niendorf_schrott@t-online.de> wrote in message news:<cnt89j$uor$05$1@news.t-online.com>... > Bob wrote: > > > Hi I would much appreciate help > > > > We have a 150-200GB database on Oracle 8.1.7 which resid...

upgrade oracle 32-bit 9204 apps database to 64-bit 9207
I'am in the process of upgrading my 32-bit 9204 apps database to 64-bit 9207. Just wanted to make sure i covered everything. 1) Install 9201 64-bit 2) apply 64bit 9207 on it. 3) Copy init.ora and orapwd file to new Oracle home 4) startup migrate (with _system_trig_enabled = FALSE) 5) run @utlip.sql 6) download patch 1994933 and run rmsro.sql, call rmsro.run(); & invalidate.sql 7) create or replace java system; 8) @catpatch.sql 9) utlrp.sql 10) shutdown and restart (after removing setting _system_trig_enabled = TRUE) 10) copy appsutil from 32-bit 9204 to 64-bit 9207 home and run perl adcfgclone.pl dbTechStack Did i miss any steps ? Any redundant steps in there ? Thanks & regards srivenu srivenu@hotmail.com wrote: > I'am in the process of upgrading my 32-bit 9204 apps database to 64-bit > 9207. > > Just wanted to make sure i covered everything. > > 1) Install 9201 64-bit > 2) apply 64bit 9207 on it. > 3) Copy init.ora and orapwd file to new Oracle home > 4) startup migrate (with _system_trig_enabled = FALSE) > 5) run @utlip.sql > 6) download patch 1994933 and run rmsro.sql, call rmsro.run(); & > invalidate.sql > 7) create or replace java system; > 8) @catpatch.sql > 9) utlrp.sql > 10) shutdown and restart (after removing setting _system_trig_enabled > = TRUE) > 10) copy appsutil from 32-bit 9204 to 64-bit 9207 home and run perl > adcfgclone.pl dbTechStack > > Did i miss any steps ? &g...

Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server
Hi, I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and 64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP- UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before? If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to configure the same. Thanks in advance. Deepak. ...

Hi, I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and 64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP- UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before? If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to configure the same. Thanks in advance. Deepak. On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollipara@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, > >I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and >64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net >Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP- >UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before? > >If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to >configure the same. > >Thanks in advance. >Deepak. Fact: 32-bit client can communicate with 64-bit server without problem. Fact: if you want to install 2 different clients you need to install them in 2 different Oracle homes Fact: your question is redundant, as this is all outlined in the installation documentation on http://otn.oracle.com or http://tahiti.oracle.com both reachable from http://www.oracle.com Fact: you were even too lazy to type www.oracle.com in your browser and hit the documentation button. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA On Apr 13, 11:12 am, sybra...@hccnet.nl wrote: > On 13 Apr 2007 10:00:52 -0700, deepak.kollip...@gmail.com wrote: >...

Installing 32-bit and 64-bit oracle client on windows 2003 Server
Hi, I am wondering if we could install 32-bit client of 10g release2 and 64-bit client of the same (allowing delphi 32-bit apps and some .net Windows services to connect to the oracle database server hosted on HP- UX running 64-bit mode. has anyone done this before? If so, can you please provide me some documentation of how to configure the same. Thanks in advance. Deepak. ...

Oracle 9i client install
Running AIX 5.1L on an old PowerPC (PPS model 7248). Have bos.64bit installed. Unable to get Oracle 9i client utilitiesprograms to work. Get errors exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./sqlplus because of the following errors: 0509-032 Cannot run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit machine. Should Oracle 9i client work on older RS-6000 hardware? Am getting by via Oracle 8i client, but am trying to run a pure '9i' environment. Any ideas? Andrew, I think you need to link to the 64-bit kernel, because the Oracle 9 kernel extensions are only 64 bit, check with "prtconf&q...

32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle
I am about to update Oracle from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0 on a Sun E3500 running Solaris 7. If I have the chance to choose, should I prefer the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit version? Would anyone explain the difference in general, and perhaps in the particular case of Oracle? The machine has 2 GB and won't ever get more. By the way, if if booting kernel/unix (32 bit Kernel), will any 64 bit software still run? We have had a case the other way around: A special software won't run properly if booting the 64 bit Kernel. Thanks in advance Rick Denoire In article <7kc9uvop07odr9k0heb...

Run 32-bit and 64-bit listener at the same time on W3K 64-bit
I have Oracle 10.2.0.4-64 bit running on W3K-64-bit. Now I need to run a 32-bit 9.2.0.5 (yes I know, ouch) on this box. I cannot get the listener to work. I use batch file to specifically point to the 9.2 environment, but for some reason it points to the 64-bit version. Any clues? E:\dbscripts>rem set oracle 9.2 environment E:\dbscripts>set ORACLE_HOME=C:\oracle\ora92 E:\dbscripts>set path=C:\oracle\ora92\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;\\CFOLDC1\fopublic\ E:\dbscripts>set TNS_ADMIN=C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin E:\dbscripts>c: C:\...

oracle 9i database on a aix 4.3.3 server trying to use a 32 bit compiler- error ksms.imp
We are trying to get a new setup to work. We have an Oracle 9.2.0.4 database on AIX 4.3.3. This database is using the 64 bit kernel extension. We have installed Server Express 2.1 for 4.3.3 (MF cobol compiler) which is a 32 bit app. We tried to edit the makefile used for AIX 4.3.3, MF cobol compiler OCDS, Oracle database 8.1.6. We learned about needing to relink rstora32, and the procob32� that has been done. We changed out markefile to point to all the 9i oracle 32 bit directories. We are note experienced with makefiles and not sure our makefile is ok. We are now having problems with the 32 bit version of ksms.imp. At first the file was empty. To resolve that problem we: Generated the ksms.imp as follows.. @ORACLE_HOME/bin/genksms > $ORACLE_HOME/lib32/ksms.imp and relinked the "genksms" binary: make �f $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib32/ins_rdbms.mk $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genksms Do you know if we built this correctly? We do not seem to be able to compile without using the variable ...please note the error with the variable for ksms.imp and without that variable�. I hve included the makefile below Thanks 1. Problem when makefile has commented out line #LIMPEXP=$(LIBHOME)/ksms.imp This error is received for every line of code ld: 0711-418 ERROR: Import or export file /u00/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib32/ks ms.imp at line 4219: A symbol name may only be followed by an export attribute or an address. The line is being ignore...

32 bit Oracle RDBMS on 64 bit OS?
I see from the Oracle certification matrix that they do not certify running a 32-bit installation of Oracle database against a 64 bit operating system. But does anyone know whether this can be done, would it/could it work? I was thinking about running 32 bit 10g standard edition on a 64 bit Windows OS (Windows8). Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks, Dan On Sep 8, 3:00=A0pm, Dan <daniel.oster...@visaer.com> wrote: > I see from the Oracle certification matrix that they do not certify > running a 32-bit installation of Oracle database against a 64 bit > operating system. =A0 But does anyone know whether this can be done, > would it/could it work? =A0I was thinking about running 32 bit 10g > standard edition on a 64 bit Windows OS (Windows8). > > Does anyone have any knowledge on this? > > Thanks, > Dan I currently have 10g XE 32-bit running on 64-bit Windows7 without issue. It appears that 10g XE isn't available in 64-bit, and 11g XE isn't available in 64-bit for "Winders". David Fitzjarrell On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:00:23 -0700, Dan wrote: > I see from the Oracle certification matrix that they do not certify > running a 32-bit installation of Oracle database against a 64 bit > operating system. But does anyone know whether this can be done, would > it/could it work? I was thinking about running 32 bit 10g standard > edition on a 64 bit Windows OS (Windows8). > > Does anyone have a...

Linking 32-bit and 64 bit oracle library
Hi , I am creating two libraries using Pro*c , one which uses Oracle client 8.0.5 and the other uses Oracle 10.2.0.1.0(In their own environment) . The 8.0.5 library is a 32 bit , and 10g's library is 64 bit library(uses -xarch=v9 flag while compiling) when I include these libraries as USRLIBS I get errors like : ld: fatal: file pro_10.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 Is there any way to convery the 32 bit library to 64 or vice versa ? Thanks ! abhi147@gmail.com wrote: > I am creating two libraries using Pro*c , one which uses Oracle > client 8.0.5 and the other uses Oracle 10.2.0.1.0(In their own > environment) . The 8.0.5 library is a 32 bit , and 10g's library is 64 > bit library(uses -xarch=v9 flag while compiling) > > when I include these libraries as USRLIBS I get errors like : > > ld: fatal: file pro_10.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 > > Is there any way to convery the 32 bit library to 64 or vice versa ? Let me get that right: You're writing a C program that should run against an 8 and a 10g server? And you want to encapsule the Oracle stuff in a shared library, and depending on which database you want to access you're repacing the shared library? Yours, Laurenz Albe abhi147@gmail.com wrote: > Hi , > > I am creating two libraries using Pro*c , one which uses Oracle > client 8.0.5 and the other uses Oracle 10.2.0.1.0(In their own > environment) . The 8.0.5 library is a 32 bit , and 10g&...

Oracle 10g on W2k3
I'm looking at speccing out new server hardware. We want to move to 10.2. Any reason not to use the 64 bit OS instead of the 32 bit version? Anybody here using 10.2 on Windows 64 bit? Comments? Observations? Smallish to mediumish database. Our network administrators are mostly Windows, so hosting on Linux or U*ix is probably a non starter. The advantages of sticking with the 32 bit version is that it's not "new" - we have a base of W2k3 32 bit boxen, so from an OS care and feeding perspective it's just another box in the rack just like the others. The advantage of 64 bit is the larger addressable memory space which *may* improve performance. As a shop we'll be going to 64 bit for many servers before long anyway (MS Exchange, for instance), so might as well do it now. But I'm not sure that Oracle is the best candidate to be the guinnea pig.... (current version 9.2 on W2k3 32 bit) //Walt Walt wrote: > I'm looking at speccing out new server hardware. We want to move to 10.2. > > Any reason not to use the 64 bit OS instead of the 32 bit version? > Anybody here using 10.2 on Windows 64 bit? Comments? Observations? > > Smallish to mediumish database. Our network administrators are mostly > Windows, so hosting on Linux or U*ix is probably a non starter. The > advantages of sticking with the 32 bit version is that it's not "new" - > we have a base of W2k3 32 bit boxen, so from an OS ca...

Linking 32-bit and 64 bit oracle library #2
Hi , I am creating two libraries using Pro*c , one which uses Oracle client 8.0.5 and the other uses Oracle 10.2.0.1.0(In their own environment) . The 8.0.5 library is a 32 bit , and 10g's library is 64 bit library(uses -xarch=v9 flag while compiling) when I include these libraries as USRLIBS I get errors like : ld: fatal: file pro_10.o: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64 Is there any way to convert the 32 bit library to 64 or vice versa ? Thanks ! ...

RHEL AS 4 + Oracle 10g : 32-bit or 64-bit ?
Both RHEL AS 4 and Oracle 10g for Linux exist in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Suppose we have 64-bit x86 compatible hardware, what would be the advantages of choosing 64-bit OS and Oracle instead of 32-bit ? We don't need a bigger than 1GB SGA, so are there any other advantages regarding performance ? Any online tests/benchmarks somewhere ? Matthias Matthias Hoys wrote: > of choosing 64-bit OS and Oracle instead of 32-bit ? We don't need a bigger > than 1GB SGA, so are there any other advantages regarding performance ? Any > online tests/benchmarks somewhere ? maybe https://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/benchmarks/ has some comparable benchmark results. QUEST offers a TPC test AFAIK, HAMMERORA is another one. regards, -ap > Both RHEL AS 4 and Oracle 10g for Linux exist in 32-bit and 64-bit > versions. > Suppose we have 64-bit x86 compatible hardware, what would be the > advantages of choosing 64-bit OS and Oracle instead of 32-bit ? We don't > need a bigger than 1GB SGA, so are there any other advantages regarding > performance ? Not really. Even larger SGA doesn't guarantee better performance. Matthias Hoys wrote: > Both RHEL AS 4 and Oracle 10g for Linux exist in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. > Suppose we have 64-bit x86 compatible hardware, what would be the advantages > of choosing 64-bit OS and Oracle instead of 32-bit ? We don't need a bigger > than 1GB SGA, so are there any other advantages r...

Oracle 9i RAC (or 10g)
Mixing 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clustered DB servers (i.e. 9i RAC or 10g) - does anybody have experience with it? Any OS, any platform. Marco Ippolito wrote: > > Mixing 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clustered DB servers (i.e. 9i RAC or 10g) - > does anybody have experience with it? Any OS, any platform. IIRC, your word size needs to be the same on all of your RAC nodes. Why do you want to mix them anyway? HTH, Brian -- =================================================================== Brian Peasland dba@remove_spam.peasland.com Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me. "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of the three" Marco Ippolito wrote: > Mixing 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clustered DB servers (i.e. 9i RAC or 10g) - > does anybody have experience with it? Any OS, any platform. You will have to wait for a subsequent release of 10g for heterogeneous connections. And even then ... I doub if you will be able to mix 32 bit and 64 bit SGAs. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) Thank you. I was just wondering whether anybody tried thinkering with parameters or even code to bridge the gap and demonstrated a running mixed environment in his lab; something clearly outside Oracle's support bou...

dynamically determine whether running on 32-bit or 64-bit platform
I have some code which worked on older 32-bit processors but which gave incorrect answers on a 64-bit machine. I found out that I no longer had to use 2constant and fm/mod, and that if I use constant and /mod I get correct answers. Made sense after I had made the change. Is there a standard way to dynamically determine whether code is running on a 32-bit or 64-bit machine? I guess my code would look quite convoluted, however it is done? Maybe some pre-processing would give cleaner code? e.g. in pseudocode #if64bit 600851475143 constant penumber #else 3851020999 139 2constant penumber #endif ..... #if64bit /mod #else fm/mod #endif Bob On Tue, 5 Mar 2013, Bob Wilkinson wrote: > Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 08:38:35 -0800 (PST) > From: Bob Wilkinson <wilkinson.bob@gmail.com> > Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth > Subject: dynamically determine whether running on 32-bit or 64-bit platform > > I have some code which worked on older 32-bit processors but which gave incorrect answers on a 64-bit machine. > > I found out that I no longer had to use 2constant and fm/mod, and that if I use constant and /mod I get correct answers. Made sense after I had made the change. > > Is there a standard way to dynamically determine whether code is running on a 32-bit or 64-bit machine? > > I guess my code would look quite convoluted, however it is done? Maybe some pre-processing would give cleaner code? > ...

Relative Oracle performance on 32-bit and 64-bit AIX 5.x
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone here has compared Oracle 9i performance on 32-bit and 64-bit AIX 5.x? I'm currently running everything on 32-bit and am wondering if there is any compelling reason to move to 64-bit? Besides a potentially larger memory access, I cannot see any good reason. If you have pointers to any websites on the above, that would interest me tremendously as well. Thanks and best regards. Rom Marshall ...

32 bit External procedures (DLL) on 64 bit Oracle/Windows 3000
Hi Can an external procedure developed in a 32 bit environment (Win XP, Delphi 5, Oracle 9.2) be deployed in 64 bit environment (Windows 3000 Server Entr. / Oracle 9.2 - both 64 bit)? I did get the external procedure to work in the 32 bit environment, but when it's deployed in the 64 bit environment i get: ORA-06520: PL/SQL: Fejl ved indl=E6sning af eksternt bibliotek <above is in Danish - sorry about that!> ORA-06522: Unable to load DLL Now, there seems to be something like a trillion things that can go wrong when you try to get an external procedure to work, so if anybody has the definite answer to 32/64 bit question I'd be delighted. Tia Kenneth ...

Am I running under 32-bits or 64-bits?
I have to use both the 32-bits and the 64-bits versions of Matlab 7.5 under Windows 64-bits (I need the 64-bits version to handle large data sets, but I also need the 32-bits version to run a specific DLL which is not compatible with 64-bits). My problem is: How may a Matlab script or function know whether it is executed under 32 or 64 bits? This information is not present when typing 'ver'. Thanks! F. On Nov 14, 9:58 am, "Frederic Moisy" <moisy.nos...@fast.u-psud.fr> wrote: > I have to use both the 32-bits and the 64-bits versions of > Matlab 7.5 under Window...

performance problem with fetch using 8.1.7 32-bit client to access a 64-bit server
We are running 8.1.7.4 64-bit Oracle on Solaris 8/sparc3. We have a client which was compiled on a 32-bit sparcII platform. We find that when we run multiple instances of the client we find that it doesn't scale very well, even though the product vendor believes that it should and we have evidence to prove this in different sites. We have already spent a lot of effort tuning the server and we not believe that it is well tuned. The server spends 90% of it's time idle. We have found that the client also spends about 90% of its time sleeping even though it has work to do, and there are plenty of free resources (only 25% of 24 CPUs are utilised, 40% of free memory, and IO is healthy). When we dig deeper into what the client is doing using pstack, we find that that it spend most of its time fetching from various cursor and specifically in the read function. An example stack trace is below: When we dig deeper into what the client is doing using pstack, we find that that it spend most of its time fetching from various cursor and specifically in the read function. An example stack trace is below: Please ignore previous message. We are running 8.1.7.4 64-bit Oracle on Solaris 8/sparc3. We have a client which was compiled on a 32-bit sparcII platform. We find that when we run multiple instances of the client we find that it doesn't scale very well, even though the product vendor believes that it should and we have evidence to prove this...

Web resources about - Use the Dynamic SGA feature in 32-bit Oracle running on 64-bit Solaris? - comp.databases.oracle.server

Solaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Solari Report Blog - The Solari Report Blog
Disclaimer Nothing on The Solari Report should be taken as individual investment advice. Anyone seeking investment advice for his or her personal ...

Solaris Books
Publishers of Science-Fiction, Fantasy and Dark Fantasy

Welcome to Solaris Mobile Online » Solaris Mobile solarismobile.com
Your default description here Home About Us Services Media Contact Us Wireless Wideband Communication for the Mobile Age Solaris Mobile leads ...

Open Directory - Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Unix: Solaris
Solaris Operating System - Gateway page to knowledge base, forums, patches, hardware guide, online support center, marketing materials, product ...

Chris Solari (@chrissolari) on Twitter
Log in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Solaris - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
En grande -large size See where this picture was taken. [?]

Israeli 2010 Cleantech Open Winner - Solaris Synergy - YouTube
Solaris Synergy, winners of first prize in the Israeli national Cleantech Open Competition, for their Floating Concentrating Photovoltaic Systems, ...

Oracle wants an illegal monopoly on Solaris support, company alleges
An independent Solaris OS support provider has countersued Oracle for unfair competition and violation of U.S. antitrust laws.

Can toilet paper be a luxury product? Solaris attacks $1.4b oligopoly
Solaris Paper head Terry Hughes is going up-market with a toilet paper brand called Emporia, tackling the $1.4 billion oligopoly in Australia's ...