Using Oracle Replication To Move A New Production Database

We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem
that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save"
message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can
navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been
assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been
found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May
that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at
our hosting facility.

A decision has been made by management to move the production data to
a new database before year end. Since we are a credit card processing
company, the database is available 24 by 7. We have created test
database on the production server and moved the data over via
export/import to see if we could duplicate the problem. The problem
did not manifest itself.

At this point, management would like to find the fastest way to
rebuild 100GB database. It is important that we keep downtime less
than 6 hours. Based on the research I have done so far, replication
may be our best option. A new database can be created and offline
instatiantions can be made of all the schema's required for the
application. It is not our intention to replicate all of our tables,
just the dynamic ones. Once the new database has completed the
instantiation and synced with production, we can begin testing the new
database. After testing successfully completes, we can schedule a
cutover date.

From what I have read, the table names created in the new production
database will be the same as the current database(no MV$<table_name>).

Once the we have successfully tested the new database, what will need
to do to turn off replication? We do not plan to use replication with
the new database instance. Standby database will be set up to satisfy
our disaster recovery needs.  Since the data is only going ONE WAY, is
it safe to assume that there will not be any conflicts?

Are there any gotcha's that we should be aware of? If there is a
better approach to this issue, please let me know.
0
rdperry (8)

If you will be on the same platform, then you have lots of options for a
6 hour downtime window.

 - You could use Transportable Tablespace to move stuff pretty quickly.
This may/may not fit into your window depending on how long it takes you
to move the datafiles (network speed and all of that).
 - You could move the data over (export/import) and then use LogMiner to
get the changes and create a script which will apply those changes to
the destination database.
 - You could implement Standby and have your old production database
propagate changes to the new database. At some point, perform a graceful
switchover.

HTH,
Brian

"Robert D. Perry" wrote:

> We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem
> that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save"
> message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can
> navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been
> assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been
> found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May
> that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at
> our hosting facility.
>
> A decision has been made by management to move the production data to
> a new database before year end. Since we are a credit card processing
> company, the database is available 24 by 7. We have created test
> database on the production server and moved the data over via
> export/import to see if we could duplicate the problem. The problem
> did not manifest itself.
>
> At this point, management would like to find the fastest way to
> rebuild 100GB database. It is important that we keep downtime less
> than 6 hours. Based on the research I have done so far, replication
> may be our best option. A new database can be created and offline
> instatiantions can be made of all the schema's required for the
> application. It is not our intention to replicate all of our tables,
> just the dynamic ones. Once the new database has completed the
> instantiation and synced with production, we can begin testing the new
> database. After testing successfully completes, we can schedule a
> cutover date.
>
> From what I have read, the table names created in the new production
> database will be the same as the current database(no MV$<table_name>).
>
> Once the we have successfully tested the new database, what will need
> to do to turn off replication? We do not plan to use replication with
> the new database instance. Standby database will be set up to satisfy
> our disaster recovery needs.  Since the data is only going ONE WAY, is
> it safe to assume that there will not be any conflicts?
>
> Are there any gotcha's that we should be aware of? If there is a
> better approach to this issue, please let me know.

Brian Peasland
dba@remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"
0
dba1 (382)
11/4/2003 11:11:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Brian.  We did not consider Standby because
it requires making a cold copy of our current database.  Management
does not want to take a chance of the problem following us.

I'll explore transportable tablespaces & LogMiner further.

If we use replication, will we be able to gracefully turn off
replication?

Thanks

Brian Peasland <dba@remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3FA83208.7E27F309@remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> [...]
> > cutover date.
> >
> > From what I have read, the table names created in the new production
> > database will be the same as the current database(no MV$<table_name>).
> >
> > Once the we have successfully tested the new database, what will need
> > to do to turn off replication? We do not plan to use replication with
> > the new database instance. Standby database will be set up to satisfy
> > our disaster recovery needs.  Since the data is only going ONE WAY, is
> > it safe to assume that there will not be any conflicts?
> >
> > Are there any gotcha's that we should be aware of? If there is a
> > better approach to this issue, please let me know.
>
> --
>
> Brian Peasland
> dba@remove_spam.peasland.com
>
> Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
>

> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of
0
rdperry (8)
11/5/2003 4:30:37 AM
Transportable tablespaces will be a standby like solution. However, definitely
worth a try to see if it fixes your problem.

Considering that you don't plan on using replication your solution can have its share
of complications if things go wrong.
Not that it won't work. Theoretically it should work.

Brian's suggestion of exp/imp with LogMiner might be worth a shot. However, making
LogMiner work with the exp/imp might not be as easy as it sounds. You would
first need (afaik) to turn supplemental logging on. After that sure .. this seems like
a solution worth trying.
In essence its a solution similar to your replication + offline instantiation suggestion ..
however, exp/imp + Logminer might be less complicated.

YMMV

Anurag

"Robert D. Perry" <rdperry@gowebway.com> wrote in message news:e4fbf364.0311042030.2e8ed10a@posting.google.com...
> [...]
> > > cutover date.
> > >
> > > From what I have read, the table names created in the new production
> > > database will be the same as the current database(no MV$<table_name>).
> > >
> > > Once the we have successfully tested the new database, what will need
> > > to do to turn off replication? We do not plan to use replication with
> > > the new database instance. Standby database will be set up to satisfy
> > > our disaster recovery needs.  Since the data is only going ONE WAY, is
> > > it safe to assume that there will not be any conflicts?
> > >
> > > Are there any gotcha's that we should be aware of? If there is a
> > > better approach to this issue, please let me know.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian Peasland
> > dba@remove_spam.peasland.com
> >
> > Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
> >

> > "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of

0
avdbi (218)
11/5/2003 5:18:38 AM
Thanks for your response.  Brian has really peaked my interest with
Transportable Tablespaces.  Since we have never been able to duplicate
the problem, it would not be a total loss if the problem manifested
itself in the new database during the test phase.  The tables we are
having the problem with are some of the most frequently used so I have
not been able to test some ideas I have been kicking around.

If using transportable tablespace works......GREAT!.  If the problem
rears it's head, I would welcome the opportunity to resolve it in a
non production environment.  Worse case, we would either use
replication or log miner to move the data.

BTW....does the location of the datafiles on the target database have
to mirror the location of production when you use transportable
tablespace.  If not, I can move the problem tablespaces to a test
database located on our production server.   This database was created
to help troubleshoot our problem.

Once again...thanks for the response.

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<OK%pb.16378$2M1.14555@news01.roc.ny>...
> Transportable tablespaces will be a standby like solution. However, definitely
> worth a try to see if it fixes your problem.
>
> Considering that you don't plan on using replication your solution can have its share
> of complications if things go wrong.
> Not that it won't work. Theoretically it should work.
>
> Brian's suggestion of exp/imp with LogMiner might be worth a shot. However, making
> LogMiner work with the exp/imp might not be as easy as it sounds. You would
> first need (afaik) to turn supplemental logging on. After that sure .. this seems like
> a solution worth trying.
> In essence its a solution similar to your replication + offline instantiation suggestion ..
> however, exp/imp + Logminer might be less complicated.
>

> YMMV
>
> Anurag
>

> "Robert D. Perry" <rdperry@gowebway.com> wrote in message news:e4fbf364.0311042030.2e8ed10a@posting.google.com...
> > Thanks for the suggestions Brian.  We did not consider Standby because
> > it requires making a cold copy of our current database.  Management
> > does not want to take a chance of the problem following us.
> >
> > I'll explore transportable tablespaces & LogMiner further.
> >
> > If we use replication, will we be able to gracefully turn off
> > replication?
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > Brian Peasland <dba@remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3FA83208.7E27F309@remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> > > If you will be on the same platform, then you have lots of options for a
> > > 6 hour downtime window.
> > >
> > >  - You could use Transportable Tablespace to move stuff pretty quickly.
> > > This may/may not fit into your window depending on how long it takes you
> > > to move the datafiles (network speed and all of that).
> > >  - You could move the data over (export/import) and then use LogMiner to
> > > get the changes and create a script which will apply those changes to
> > > the destination database.
> > >  - You could implement Standby and have your old production database
> > > propagate changes to the new database. At some point, perform a graceful
> > > switchover.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Brian

> > > --
> > > ===================================================================
> > >
> > > Brian Peasland
> > > dba@remove_spam.peasland.com
> > >
> > > Remove the "remove_spam." from the email address to email me.
> > >

> > > "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of
> > >  the three"
0
rdperry (8)

 --

I would also suggest looking  at Oracle Streams for a possible solution. Of
course you have to be on 9i for this.

good luck
santy

> Thanks for your response.  Brian has really peaked my interest with
> Transportable Tablespaces.

Keep in mind that Transportable Tablespaces won't move objects that are
non-segments over. In other words, your procedures, functions, views,
etc won't be moved. You'll have to reverse engineer DDL statements to
create these on your destination database, but that is pretty easy to
do.

> BTW....does the location of the datafiles on the target database have
> to mirror the location of production when you use transportable
> tablespace.  If not, I can move the problem tablespaces to a test
> database located on our production server.   This database was created
> to help troubleshoot our problem.

The location of the datafiles doesn't make a different. You can change
directory structures with Transportable Tablespaces. But keep in mind
that both your source server and the destination server need to be the
same platform. i.e. Windows & Windows, or Solaris & Solaris for
Transportable Tablespaces to be an option.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba@remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"
0
dba1 (382)
11/5/2003 4:48:52 PM
> > Thanks for your response.  Brian has really peaked my interest with
> > Transportable Tablespaces.
>
> Keep in mind that Transportable Tablespaces won't move objects that are
> non-segments over. In other words, your procedures, functions, views,
> etc won't be moved. You'll have to reverse engineer DDL statements to
> create these on your destination database, but that is pretty easy to
> do.
>
> > BTW....does the location of the datafiles on the target database have
> > to mirror the location of production when you use transportable
> > tablespace.  If not, I can move the problem tablespaces to a test
> > database located on our production server.   This database was created
> > to help troubleshoot our problem.
>
> The location of the datafiles doesn't make a different. You can change
> directory structures with Transportable Tablespaces. But keep in mind
> that both your source server and the destination server need to be the
> same platform. i.e. Windows & Windows, or Solaris & Solaris for
> Transportable Tablespaces to be an option.
>
> HTH,
> Brian

And the block sizes must be identical for both databases, at least until 9i.
From 9i onwards, the block sizes can be different, but you'll need to
configure appropriate 'db_nK_cache' parameters before doing the
transportation.

Regards
HJR

0
hjr (2065)
11/5/2003 7:32:31 PM
Thanks again Brian for the additional options.  The platform, o/s,
block size, Oracle version(8.1.7.4), etc. will be consistent.
Hopefully, I will be given the green light to at least test
transportable.

"oracle1" <santyspamsharma@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bob7l9$1c07me$1@ID-84096.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "Robert D. Perry" <rdperry@gowebway.com> wrote in message
> > We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem
> > that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save"
> > message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can
> > navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been
> > assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been
> > found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May
> > that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at
> > our hosting facility.
> >
> > A decision has been made by management to move the production data to
> > a new database before year end. Since we are a credit card processing
> > company, the database is available 24 by 7. We have created test
> > database on the production server and moved the data over via
> > export/import to see if we could duplicate the problem. The problem
> > did not manifest itself.
>  --
>
> I would also suggest looking  at Oracle Streams for a possible solution. Of
> course you have to be on 9i for this.
>
> good luck
> santy
0
rdperry (8)
11/5/2003 10:57:10 PM
Thank you for your suggestion.  We are using 8.1.7.4.  At least your
have given me another area of Oracle to explore for future use.

"oracle1" <santyspamsharma@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bob7l9$1c07me$1@ID-84096.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "Robert D. Perry" <rdperry@gowebway.com> wrote in message
> > We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem
> > that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save"
> > message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can
> > navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been
> > assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been
> > found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May
> > that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at
> > our hosting facility.
> >
> > A decision has been made by management to move the production data to
> > a new database before year end. Since we are a credit card processing
> > company, the database is available 24 by 7. We have created test
> > database on the production server and moved the data over via
> > export/import to see if we could duplicate the problem. The problem
> > did not manifest itself.
>  --
>
> I would also suggest looking  at Oracle Streams for a possible solution. Of
> course you have to be on 9i for this.
>
> good luck
> santy
0
rdperry (8)
11/5/2003 10:58:51 PM
Thanks for your response.  I appreciate all the advice that was given
by you and others.

"oracle1" <santyspamsharma@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bob7l9$1c07me$1@ID-84096.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "Robert D. Perry" <rdperry@gowebway.com> wrote in message
> > We have been working Oracle Support to resolve an database problem
> > that causes our application to present the "Do You Want To Save"
> > message after an update 3 or more times to the end user before you can
> > navigate to the next record or another screen. Oracle has been
> > assisting us with this problem since June and resolution has not been
> > found. This problem began after we experience a major crash in May
> > that resulted in our production database being rebuilt by the DBA's at
> > our hosting facility.
> >
> > A decision has been made by management to move the production data to
> > a new database before year end. Since we are a credit card processing
> > company, the database is available 24 by 7. We have created test
> > database on the production server and moved the data over via
> > export/import to see if we could duplicate the problem. The problem
> > did not manifest itself.
>  --
>
> I would also suggest looking  at Oracle Streams for a possible solution. Of
> course you have to be on 9i for this.
>
> good luck
> santy
0
rdperry (8)
11/5/2003 11:00:16 PM
"Brian Peasland" <dba@remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your response.  Brian has really peaked my interest with
> > Transportable Tablespaces.
>

> The location of the datafiles doesn't make a different. You can change
> directory structures with Transportable Tablespaces. But keep in mind
> that both your source server and the destination server need to be the
> same platform. i.e. Windows & Windows, or Solaris & Solaris for
> Transportable Tablespaces to be an option.

Hi Brian,

Until 10g that is where cross platform transportable tablespaces are
supported ...

Cheers

Richard

Oracle database move to a new machine
I have: old machine 1: /u01/app/oracle/oradata/DB1/ *.dbf files *.ctl files Oracle Database Release 9.0.1.3.0 new machine 2: /u01/app/oracle/product/primary/oradata/DB1/ *.dbf *.ctl Oracle Database Release 9.2.0.1.0 I just set up Oracle on the new machine. What is the easiest and safest way to move the dbf and ctl files from the old machine and directory to the new one? Can this be done or am I going to have to whip up the old exp/imp tools? Thanks I am very familiar with the initSIDXXX.ora but what is the spfileSIDXXXX.ora file? Thanks v5034 wrote: > I have: > > old machine 1: > /u01/app/oracle/oradata/DB1/ > *.dbf files > *.ctl files > Oracle Database Release 9.0.1.3.0 > > new machine 2: > /u01/app/oracle/product/primary/oradata/DB1/ > *.dbf > *.ctl > Oracle Database Release 9.2.0.1.0 > > > I just set up Oracle on the new machine. What is the easiest and safest > way to move the dbf and ctl files from the old machine and directory to > the new one? Can this be done or am I going to have to whip up the old > exp/imp tools? > > Thanks > v5034 wrote: > > I am very familiar with the initSIDXXX.ora but what is the > spfileSIDXXXX.ora file? > > Thanks > The replacement in the new world. Always stored on the server. Allows changing [most] parms 'remotely'. Don't edit it! It's a 'binary' file & edits can easily made the database unusable....

How to move Oracle database to a new machine?
Hi all Oracle DBA experts, At work we have an Oracle 8i on Unix with a small amount of user data (less than 10 tables and the largest table has about 4000 records). I need to move this database to a new machine. The database has no active transactions so I can shut it down whenever I need to. I have textbook knowledge on how to do this but the only hands-on experience I have is installing Oracle8i on a PC. So I really need your help. My plan is to make a closed database backup, install Oracle8i on the new machine, then restore the database file. I've read some documentation, but I want to be sure that I understand the proper way to do this before I begin? Here are a couple alternatives I see: Plan One. a. SQL>shutdown normal; b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password file, parameter file). c. install oracle8i on the new machine d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is shut down e. SQL>startup pfile=init.ora; Plan Two: a. SQL>shutdown normal; b. back up (cp all data files, control files, redo log files, password file, parameter file). c. install oracle8i on the new machine d. restore (cp all backup files to the new machine) when the oracle is shut down e. SQL>startup mount pfile=init.ora; f. SQL>recover database; g. SQL>alter database open; Plan Three: Is it easier to do this using Export/Import utility? The database currently is set in Archivelog mode. But there will be no loss of da...

Oracle newbie
Appologies if this is a stupid question? Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a secondary means of access Not certain what you mean there. Do you mean that login information retained in the Internet Directory store would be retrieved by some application which would then connect to the target database with it? Definitely can be done. That's what it's for, among other things. Oracle has created products that do just this very thing. Some Oracle options depend on it. The Internet Directory does not itself connect to the target database, only to its back end database so far as I know. It simply answers requests from LDAP clients. HTH td brian white wrote: > Appologies if this is a stupid question? > > > Can Internet Directory be used to access an existing Database - i.e > access would primarily be via EJB's / JDDBC with LDAP be used as a > secondary means of access ...

Using Oracle Developer with Oracle 8.1.7 database
Hi. I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current versions or Oracle Developer Suite? Thank you, El DoDo march...@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo 9i client is backward compatable to 8i. However, 10g is only backwards compatable to certain 8i patchset. I can connect from 10g client to 8.1.7.4.1 but not to 8.1.7.0. Not sure about the in between patchsets as I don't have them. Regards /Rauf marchesa@units.it wrote: > Hi. > > I would like to use the current versions of Oracle Developer Suite I > can download from Oracle website (i.e. 10g and 9i), but I will have to > connect to an Oracle 8.1.7 dbase. > Is it possible to connect to such an "old" database with the current > versions or Oracle Developer Suite? > > Thank you, > El DoDo Yes. Make sure you have patched the 8i database to make it as current as possible. -- Daniel A. Morgan...

Moving a complete oracle 8i database to a new location
Hello all, I have a production database running on Windows NT Server. I have been asked to replicate the database for the development server running on Windows 2000 Professional. I have no hands on experience on moving a database completely. I have taken the copies of the datafiles, redo logs, control files and password file from the production. I have a very vague idea to go ahead with the next step. I have installed oracle on the new machine and have opted for not creating a database during the installation. So there are no instances running and no database mounted. I thought that this was a good occassion for me to learn setting up a database from scratch. If anyone could please guide me step by step on the procedures to be followed, I'll be extremely thankful for the help. I was recommended to this group by many experts in my company. Please help me to find a solution to the problem as soon as possible. Thanks and Regards, Anand PR. anand_radhakrishnan@syntelinc.com (Anand R) wrote in news:c89bc19b.0408060416.296084ab@posting.google.com: > Hello all, > > I have a production database running on Windows NT Server. I have been > asked to replicate the database for the development server running on > Windows 2000 Professional. I have no hands on experience on moving a > database completely. I have taken the copies of the datafiles, redo > logs, control files and password file from the production. > > I have a very vague idea to go ahea...

I need to move oracle database from one to another server
Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... on left and hardware the same server on right SUN server SUN server Solaris Oracle database And now. Left server is working. But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all filesystems. After that server and database were operating back for one month. Now. I have second SUN identical server on the right. I did full restore on this server (of all filesystems). But of course database is not up to date. I can stop oracle on left and move some files to right server. My idea is to do: On the right (new server) remove all (old) dbf files, controll files, redologs. Copy files from the original server (on left) that are has been in "work" for recent month to the second server: dbf files control files and redo logs. Then start new server on right? Is it all I have to do? Or I will meet any problems? Regards On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:07:27 GMT, "marqzik" <marqzik@wp.pl> wrote: >Hello. Please take into consideratio a scenarrio... >on left and hardware the same server on right > >SUN server SUN server >Solaris >Oracle database > >And now. >Left server is working. >But I stopped whole server one month ago and did _full_ backup of all >filesystems. >After that server and database were operating back for one month. >Now. >I have second SUN identical server on the right. ...

Oracle 8i, copy database on new server and replay redologs
Hello, I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). The database is in archive log mode. The backup is done with : - a "cold backup" every night by the copy of all the files : all the dbf datafiles, control files, redolog file and init file. - There are two exports by day with the tool EXP. I have an another server (sort of backup server) named SRV2 with the same installation of Oracle 8i ; The same instance name, the same paths for the files : .dbf, .ctl, redo and init.ora . I can copy all the files of my cold backup from SRV1 to my second server SRV2 and start the instance with the commande : ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; In this case I have my database in state of the last cold backup. My question is : Can I replay the archived redologs of the day ? Explanation : - I have a cold backup of the last night : 01h00 AM. - My production base crash at 12h00 PM. - From 01h00 AM to 12h00 PM, 20 redologs have been archived and save on a network share. --> If I copy my cold backup (from 01h00) on the second server SRV2 and all the archived redo logs to this server (20 files) can tell to Oracle to replay the archived logs on the cold backup before open it ? I have tried to do a recover database but nothing happen. Is it possible to do it ? Thanks a lot Fabrice Comments embedded. On Jul 8, 12:35=A0pm, Fabrice <t...@test.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I have an Oracle database 8i on a Win2003 Server (named SRV1). > The database i...

Is oracle database 10g R2 ready for production use yet?
Hi, Do you think Oracle Database 10g R2 for Linux x86 is ready production use yet? I am planning to deploy it on RHEL4 soon. Should I wait for the first patchset instead? Thanks. Well it is just barely out of beta status. Oracle so far has only delivered ONLY the 32 bit version on ONLY 1 platform. ( Does that sound a little shaky to you? ) How much risk can you accept? How much testing are you planning on doing before you go live with it? What's your fallback plan look like? On 8/2/05 7:00 PM, hpuxrac wrote: > How much risk can you accept? > > How much testing are you planning on doing before you go live with it? > > What's your fallback plan look like? It's not a critical application. I was just wondering if anyone had any production experience with it yet. Thanks. maxim2k wrote: > Hi, > > Do you think Oracle Database 10g R2 for Linux x86 is ready production > use yet? > > I am planning to deploy it on RHEL4 soon. > > Should I wait for the first patchset instead? > > Thanks. Depending on what you are doing with it ... it is ready. I wouldn't put Transparent Data Encryption into production. But the new CRS is a huge advance over the 10gR1 CRS for those implementing RAC. Test. Test. Test. -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) maxim2k wrote: > On 8/2/05 7:00 PM, hpuxrac wrote: > >> How much risk can you accept? >&g...

How to use icons (database, database backup, save, delete etc.) in Oracle forms 5? #2
Hello, Thanks for your reply. Could you plz inform me how should I set the environmental variable in order to attach the menus on buttons in an Oracle forms. Thanks Martin Martin wrote: > Hello, > > Thanks for your reply. > Could you plz inform me how should I set the environmental variable in > order to attach the menus on buttons in an Oracle forms. > > Thanks > > Martin You need to read the documentation. I say this because how to do it is operating system dependenat and partially because you need to invest a bit of effort on your own behalf and asking me to read the installation documentation for you is beyond the pale. -- Daniel Morgan http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply) ...

Move Oracle database from old hard disk to new hard disk
anyone know how to move the Oracle database into another larger hard disk? Oracle 9i installed in Red Hat. Pls guide me. Thank you ericlaiys wrote: > anyone know how to move the Oracle database into another larger hard > disk? > Oracle 9i installed in Red Hat. > Pls guide me. > > Thank you > The Administrator's Guide is a wonderful document which I highly recommend that you read. The answer to your question can be found there: http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/dfiles.htm#8765 Cheers, Brian -- =================================================================== Brian Peasland dba@nospam.peasland.net http://www.peasland.net Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me. "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good. Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown Since almost 90% of the stuff posted should be available on the Oracle Documentation, I guess we can just use this as a standard answer 90% of the time. Anyway, here is a bit more info to recreate another database on another server (different database name, database-creation-time parameters etc) 1. In the original database, issue a command to generate a trace: alter database backup controlfile to trace This will generate a trace file under your udump directory (Hope you don't ask where it is, otherwise, you will get more stern remarks from our fearsome DBAs). 2. Edit the trace to your own taste...

Oracle databases on a server

ORACLE database replications
dear all i need some help i need the documents on replication between 2 oracle 9i servers on Redhat linux AS3.0 thanks "Kashif Hameed" <kashifh@shoa.net> wrote in message news:2n9fj8Fs0e84U1@uni-berlin.de... > dear all > > i need some help i need the documents on replication between 2 oracle 9i > servers on Redhat linux AS3.0 > > thanks > > > otn.oracle.com see documentation ...

Getting the best out of new server hardware: a disk setup for Oracle database
Hello all Oracle&server experts, what you think about the following setup for Oracle database? HP DL585, 16 GB RAM, 2 dual-core AMD processors, 64-bit Red Hat Linux 4, 64-bit Oracle database software. The disk setup for Oracle data consists of six PCI-X RAID cards with BBWC set to 0 percent read, 100 percent write. Each card has six 146 GB disks on RAID 1+0 setup and one hot spare. 128 kB stripe size is used. Each RAID 1+0 set (about 410 GB) is divided into two logical volumes: 40 GB and 370 GB and these volumes are seen as raw devices at the server. I'm planning to put all six 370 GB raw devices together into one diskgroup using ASM and ASMlib and let ASM stripe the database data (tables, indexes) over them (external redundancy). I'm planning to group the 40 GB volumes into two ASM failgroups (3 volumes each) and then let ASM do striping and mirroring over this diskgroup (normal redundancy). This smaller diskgroup would then store SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. With this setup I get good protection for disk failures for all the data and additional protection against RAID card failures for SYSTEM tablespace, control files and online redo logs. There is a separate FC connected disk system that will be used for archived redo logs and backups. And separate mirrored disk pairs for OS and Oracle binaries. Does this setup sound feasible? Could I make a better use of the hardware by changing something? The system will be used...

moving an Oracle database
Hi i hope someone can help. I've been given the task of moving an oracle database. The database is sitting on a w2k3 cluster attached to a EVA storage system. At present the servers are located at a remote site, and need to be relocated back to our central site, which means moving the data to new EVA's. the actual nodes of the clusters will be physically moved so nothing will change here. i'm going to be using microsofts cluster recovery tool to replace the cluster disk resources which is no problem. my only problem is the oracle part. I'm not an oracle DBA and am not training to be one, unfortunatly we don't have one in our dept as we mainly use SQL. from what i can gather all i need to do to move the database is shutdown the oracle service and copy the DB files to the EVA presented drives. these drives will be renamed to match the old drive names. once this is done i believe i can bring the database up and all will be well. is this correct?? thanks in advance for any help! i have tried reading throuh the admin guide but as i know nothing about Oracle it doesn't make a lot of sense and i haven't really got time to start at the beginning!! HoughtonPJ@googlemail.com wrote: > Hi > > i hope someone can help. I've been given the task of moving an oracle > database. The database is sitting on a w2k3 cluster attached to a EVA > storage system. At present the servers are located at a remote site, > and need to be relocat...

Using the DBI to connect to an Oracle server w/o connecting to a database
I've searched for the answer to this problem and have not seen it (which suggests what the answer might be ;-) ). Is it possible to use DBI (and DBD::Oracle) to connect to an Oracle server without connecting to a database? This would be the DBI equivalent of: sqlplus /nolog SQL> connect user/passwd@database; or, more similarly: sqlplus /nolog @my.sql where my.sql might be: connect user/passwd@database; select ... etc. I'm thinking this is not possible, but I hope it is. Thanks. Quoth Tim <google@hoodfamily.org>: > I've searched for the answer to this problem and...

Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle
Hi, I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , insert ...), so you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there is a infdump direcorty) - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from infomix to oracle? Best Regards Sven Anders, Digitec GmbH Sven Anders wrote: > Hi, > I do not know much about informix. I have no running instance here, > but its my job to transfer data from informix to oracle. > > - Is there a tool to dump a whoole database into an ASCII file? > > - In mysql there is a tool called "mysqldump" which dumps the whole > database and create a file with sql statements (create, insert , > insert ...), so > you can transfer the whole database with mysqldump >file.sql and mysql > <file.sql. Is there such a tool in informix? (I have seen that there > is a > infdump direcorty) dbexport > - Is there a good way or a (cheap) tool to transfer a database from > infomix to oracle? dbexport? -- Ciao, The Obnoxious One "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi ...

Add database to existing oracle database
Hi experts, I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this database from my machine to main server. I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. I'll really appreciate your kind help. Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! Thanks..so much Sonika "sonika" <sonika_sehrawat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:709618ea.0409281225.1a09da58@posting.google.com... > Hi experts, > > I am new in oracle.I migrated one database from ms-access to oracle 9i > using oracle migration utility on my local machine.But now i need to > add this oracle database from my local machine to existing main > database oracle 8i on main server.Pls. tell how i can add this > database from my machine to main server. > I think i can use export/import utility.But i never used this utility > before, pls. tell what should i need to do.And if export/import is > good way to migrate database pls. explain me in steps. > > I'll really appreciate your kind help. > Pls. reply me soon, it's urgent!!! > > Thanks..so much > Sonika You are missing a lot of letters in your typing. You m...

Best way to check oracle database server / services is alive using Java
Hi, I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any database) databases is running or not. At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket and conclude the database is not running if connection timed out. Which is a silly way of doing it. Appreciate any help. Best regards. On Apr 3, 9:56 pm, harishas...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I am looking for the best way to check whether several oracle (or any > database) databases is running or not. > At the moment I just attempt to connect to the server IP using Socket > and conclude...

HELP : Move old database in old machine to new database in new machine
What are the possible upgrade options for the following situations ? From(Old machine) To(New machine) ======================= ================ Oracle 8.0.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.0.6/HP 10.20 Oralce 9i/HP 11.0 Oracle 8.1.5/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.6/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oracle 8.1.7/AIX 4.3.3 Oralce 9i/AIX 5.2 Oralce 8i/Solaris 2.6 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 5.8 Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i Oralce 8i/Solaris 8i Oralce 9i/Solaris 9i A. Background and limitations ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Data size: Vary from a few gigabytes to a few terabytes Down time: A few hours, such as 8 hours. Old/new machines location: Locate in different countries and connected by WAN. B. The way forward ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I am considering the following methods but I am not sure the feasibility and compatibility issues. Your expertise is sought. Method 1 : Export/Import ------------------------ Step 1: Setup the new blank database in new machine. Step 1: Export the data during down time. Step 2: Transfer exported data through the WAN to new machine. Step 3: Import the data to the new database. Concerns 1. I think it is suitable for small volume data because of time constraint. Method 2 : DBUA ------------------------ Step 1: Install both the old/intermediate/new versions in the new machine Step 2: Copy the datafiles to new machine during downtime. Step 3: Startup the old databa...

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

Web resources about - Using Oracle Replication To Move A New Production Database - comp.databases.oracle.server

Replication (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... in space , i.e. executed on separate devices, or it could be replicated in time , if it is executed repeatedly on a single device. Replication ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

PolSci Replication (@PolSciReplicate) on Twitter

Encryption in demand for backup and replication: Veeam
When it comes to backup and replication, Veeam has found encryption is one of the most requested feature by businesses.

John Sands Australia cuts data replication time from 14 hours to three
Corporate data replication was taking up to 14 hours to complete at greeting card company John Sands Australia until data acceleration software ...

EMC gives VMware admins the reins to replication and recovery
EMC is putting replication and recovery into the hands of VMware administrators with a software version of its RecoverPoint appliance that's ...

Facebook Slashes Data Replication With HDFS RAID - SocialTimes
Avoiding replication is a key component of efficient data storage , and one method Facebook uses to accomplish this task is HDFS RAID , which ...

rsync.net: ZFS Replication to the cloud is finally here—and it’s fast
As friendly of an online advertisement as you'll find. In mid-August, the first commercially available ZFS cloud replication target became available ...

Violin to bring deduplication, replication, other tools to all-flash storage arrays
Violin Memory plans to add deduplication, thin provisioning, snapshots and other features in a software update for its all-flash storage arrays, ...